PDA

View Full Version : Hi, I wasted all my chips on a draw

Steve
05-23-2005, 03:45 PM
$50+$5. Is there anything I can do better here? I had seen the MP fold when bet into on the flop so I tried it with my draw. Unfortunately he raised the minimum and I didn't know what to do next except call (I know not to call with draws in NL but I figured with my implied odds I'm getting about 7 to 1 to double up here, how can I fold?). Then same problem again on the turn. Next thing I know I've blown the whole tournament on a stupid draw. What should I have done differently?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t100 (6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

MP (t1455)
CO (t830)
Button (t630)
SB (t4325)
Hero (t1400)
UTG (t1360)

Preflop: Hero is BB with T/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises to t200</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB calls t150, Hero calls t100.

Flop: (t600) Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J/images/graemlins/club.gif, 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t300</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises to t600</font>, SB folds, Hero calls t300.

Turn: (t1800) 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets t300</font>, Hero calls t300.

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
I hit my goofy straight on the river and doubled up.
MP has Kc Kh (one pair, kings).
Hero has Th 9h (straight, queen high).
Outcome: Hero wins t2700. </font>

kyro
05-23-2005, 03:47 PM
I believe check/folding the flop (unless the bet is nice and tiny) is the way to go.

Bigwig
05-23-2005, 03:50 PM
Check/fold, or check/raise all-in on the flop if MP bets a piddly amount (like 300). I don't mind your call preflop. But you only have a straight draw and there are two overcards. This is not a great flop for T9s. A better one (where you could bet out) would be 872, or 987.

durron597
05-23-2005, 03:51 PM
If I think MP is capable of laying down a decent hand I check raise this flop. I don't like to bet it out of position, though.

UMTerp
05-23-2005, 03:51 PM
Fold preflop.

ur2god
05-23-2005, 03:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Fold preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

oxymoron
05-23-2005, 04:00 PM
Unless you are not confident in your post flop play I don't see folding preflop. You are getting 5:1 odds on your money.
On the flop there are two people in the hand so I would check fold this and wait for a better opportunity later. You would be left with 1300 chips and will have better hands and steal attempts later on.

DasLeben
05-23-2005, 04:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Unless you are not confident in your post flop play I don't see folding preflop. You are getting 5:1 odds on your money.
On the flop there are two people in the hand so I would check fold this and wait for a better opportunity later. You would be left with 1300 chips and will have better hands and steal attempts later on.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's true, but there's also something to be said about folding here to conserve every bit of FE for later rounds. I dunno...you are getting a great price on the hand, so maybe it is a call.

UMTerp
05-23-2005, 04:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you advocate calling preflop, isn't this the type of flop you want to play? Granted it's not perfect, but I don't know if you're going to hit something better enough of the time to warrant calling in the first place.

Bigwig
05-23-2005, 04:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's true, but there's also something to be said about folding here to conserve every bit of FE for later rounds. I dunno...you are getting a great price on the hand, so maybe it is a call.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's close. With a larger stack, I call in a flash. But you are near that push/fold zone with 1400 before posting, so it becomes very iffy with T9s. I would probably want some kind of read on the raiser. If he's been mini-raising a lot, for example, I'd call.

chisness
05-23-2005, 04:17 PM
I'd definitely call preflop. Since you think he's capable of folding to a bet, I like the flop bet and call. If he doesn't have a hand here, he's not going to raise with your bet and the SB in between. If you hit the straight on the turn you're most likely going to bust him.

Once you miss on the turn, I think it's time to assume he's got something and give up, check-folding to any bet over 100.

adanthar
05-23-2005, 04:52 PM
I'm calling PF and checking the flop 100% of the time. Where it goes from there depends on MP's bet.

pooh74
05-23-2005, 05:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'd definitely call preflop. Since you think he's capable of folding to a bet, I like the flop bet and call. If he doesn't have a hand here, he's not going to raise with your bet and the SB in between. If you hit the straight on the turn you're most likely going to bust him.

Once you miss on the turn, I think it's time to assume he's got something and give up, check-folding to any bet over 100.

[/ QUOTE ]

MP (t1455)
CO (t830)
Button (t630)
SB (t4325)
Hero (t1400)
UTG (t1360)

Preflop: Hero is BB with T, 9.
1 fold, MP raises to t200, 2 folds, SB calls t150, Hero calls t100.

Flop: (t600) Q, J, 3 (3 players)
SB checks, Hero bets t300, MP raises to t600, SB folds, Hero calls t300.

So you are saying that its ok to call off 800 of your 1400 to give up if you dont hit the turn?! I cant believe you think this is right...You say the flop bet and call are fine, but then assume he has something on the turn so you are done?!?!?! The time to assume he has something better than you is on the flop...not AFTER calling off over half of your stack.

This is Terp's point...what are you hoping to see with this hand? This is pretty much it...

If you're gonna play this hand this way, check fold or raise flop all in...done.

Anything else is horrendous and I'm pretty sure its not a matter of opinion. IMO /images/graemlins/wink.gif