PDA

View Full Version : Phil Ivey needs his own website

jcmack13
05-19-2005, 04:13 AM
I mean, come on. In the poker world, where no one can agree on supporting any player (Hellmuth sucks! Hellmuth is awesome! Negreanu sucks! Negreanu is awesome!) Everyone, from amateurs to top tier pros, seems to think Phil Ivey is, scientifically speaking, the sh!t.

How cool would it be to hear the story of a kid who worked his way from the low limit stud games in AC to perhaps the winningest player of the last few years in poker? Not to mention trip reports from someone who plays 4k/8k up to 70 hours a week. I mean, some publicist should be all over this, because, in my opinion, Phil is a helluva lot more marketable than Daniel or anybody else. Even if he's not the best, he still gets my vote for coolest f-cker in the game.

CripAces
05-19-2005, 04:29 AM
Frankly I'm worried that once we get him talking all that with all the pent up silence from the table we would never get him to be quiet again. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Jordan Olsommer
05-19-2005, 04:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Phil is a helluva lot more marketable than Daniel or anybody else.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wha? He's like Huck Seed - he avoids press and attention. He's certainly not the kind of guy who's about to paste his own mug on a set of poker chips (http://www.wedoitallvegas.com/Phil_Hellmuth_Poker_Chip_Set.asp)

And quite frankly, I think that's a breath of fresh air in a poker world that would probably jump at the chance to market an Evelyn Ng Fart-In-a-Jar.

hotdog da 2rd
05-19-2005, 05:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
He's certainly not the kind of guy who's about to paste his own mug on a set of poker chips (http://www.wedoitallvegas.com/Phil_Hellmuth_Poker_Chip_Set.asp)

[/ QUOTE ]

thx dude, i was looking all over for those. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

joking aside, most of us here woulda done it for free.

TBag
05-19-2005, 05:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Evelyn Ng Fart-In-a-Jar.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll take 5.

hotdog da 2rd
05-19-2005, 05:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Evelyn Ng Fart-In-a-Jar.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll take 5.

[/ QUOTE ]

i'll take 10, requesting video proof that it's actually her fart, not daniel negreanu's. i hate the smell of tofu.

meow_meow
05-19-2005, 10:06 AM
Maybe he doesn't want to end up looking like antonio.

So nice to see someone who isn't all about self promotion. Just shows up and plays his cards, doesn't yap, roll on the floor when he gets sucked out on, run over to high-five the audience when he drags a big pot....

I understand that if everyone played this way, the WPT would lose half it's audience, but I'd rather watch a final table consisting of Ivey, Lederer, Brunson, Greenstein, Reese and the like than one populated by Hellmuth, wave-boy, Laak, Ellix, Randy Jensen, etc....

bvaughn
05-19-2005, 10:11 AM
Phil is a GREAT player, but he's not that marketable IMO. Daniel has the nice guy act down pretty good and comes across as very accessible and amiable. We all know why Phil H. is marketable...he's entertaining with his ranting and raving.

Russ McGinley
05-19-2005, 10:27 AM
Phil Ivey is the Chris Benoit of the poker world. Awesome at what he does, but seemingly no charisma and weak interview skills. To the midcard you!

ononimo
05-19-2005, 10:52 AM
Beyond his sheer talent, I think a large degree of Phil's mystique comes from the fact that he ISN'T readily accessible and seemingly has no desire to become so. I, for one, hope that doesn't change.

CrazyN8
05-19-2005, 11:33 AM
yeah, it's best that he keeps silent. That increases his pimpness. Besides, he pwned the big game and seems to be doing alright on the tourney circuit - 5th in player of the years standings (http://www.cardplayer.com/player_of_the_year/).

jcmack13
05-19-2005, 01:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Beyond his sheer talent, I think a large degree of Phil's mystique comes from the fact that he ISN'T readily accessible and seemingly has no desire to become so.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah. This is from Negreanu's site: link (http://www.fullcontactpoker.com/poker-forums/viewtopic.php?t=9212)

"He doesn't do any self promotion whatsoever, but the public is fascinated by his skills and his presence at the table which makes him one of the most popular players in the game today. He's not one to talk about how great he is... he proves it."

I agree with the points about it being nice to see someone not constantly hawking themselves in the public eye, and I realize how paradoxical it is that this makes him more appealing. Stil l think it would be cool to click on a link and read, "Beat Chau Giang out of $450,000 last night, now i have to drive my SL600 over to the WPT final table, and after that, i'm playing golf with Chip for $60,000 a hole. Which club is the driver, again?" You know, just a modest journal chronicling the mundane day to day happenings of a poker pro.

jcmack13
05-19-2005, 01:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Phil is a GREAT player, but he's not that marketable IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

Respectfully disagree. Here's my idea for the next FullTilt commercial, unless Nike has a trademark on its Tiger Woods ads:

Series of slow black and white shots of preferably fat white men in their early twenties sitting in front of their computer monitors, poker tables visible on the screen, looking at the camera and saying, one after the other "I am Phil Ivey."

-"I, am Phil Ivey."

-"I AM Phil Ivey."

Then cut to Phil himself, arms folded, "I am Phil Ivey."

-Cut to logo-
Play poker with the pros at FullTilt.net

You know, cuz, cuz they call him the "Tiger Woods of..." aww, you get it.

mmbt0ne
05-19-2005, 02:03 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />
Phil Ivey is the Chris Benoit of the poker world. Awesome at what he does, but seemingly no charisma and weak interview skills. To the midcard you!

[/ QUOTE ]

Chris Benoit lives in my home town.

bvaughn
05-19-2005, 02:36 PM
I was mainly saying Phil's not marketable because he doesn't have much charisma or a schtick. He seems so quiet and withdrawn at the table that he nearly looks autistic. Maybe it is that he is so focused that he loses all personality, but there's a reason that goofballs like Antonio, Laak, Phil, etc. get the attention.

Phil may be a great guy with a great personality away from the table, but he lacks a connection to the common everyday recreational player - mainly because he doesn't act a little goofy in some way or another.

Justin A
05-19-2005, 02:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Chris Benoit lives in my home town.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh... ok?

TheShootah
05-19-2005, 02:48 PM
The funniest thing ever was when Freddy Deeb caught the 2 outer on the turn of the WSOP, and was freakin out, and then Phil goes "Relax! Just relax!". And Deeb tells him that he can wear this hideous red and white "lucky" shirt tomorrow if he is still in, and Phil responds with, "You will have to pay me something!" Regardless, even when cracking jokes, he still seemed a little uncomfortable saying anything.

ononimo
05-19-2005, 02:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The funniest thing ever was when Freddy Deeb caught the 2 outer on the turn of the WSOP, and was freakin out, and then Phil goes "Relax! Just relax!". And Deeb tells him that he can wear this hideous red and white "lucky" shirt tomorrow if he is still in, and Phil responds with, "You will have to pay me something!" Regardless, even when cracking jokes, he still seemed a little uncomfortable saying anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

he wasn't uncomfortable - he was struggling with trying to hide his rage at Deeb's suck-out.

ononimo
05-19-2005, 02:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I agree with the points about it being nice to see someone not constantly hawking themselves in the public eye, and I realize how paradoxical it is that this makes him more appealing. Stil l think it would be cool to click on a link and read, "Beat Chau Giang out of $450,000 last night, now i have to drive my SL600 over to the WPT final table, and after that, i'm playing golf with Chip for $60,000 a hole. Which club is the driver, again?" You know, just a modest journal chronicling the mundane day to day happenings of a poker pro.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's exactly why I'd be shocked to see him ever do his own website or blog ... if he wrote stuff like that, asides like coming off as a major jackoff, he'd get ripped apart by this forum just like Negreanu does.

With a blog, he has everything to lose and very litte to gain. Keep in mind, he's a man who seems to think that every second he spends away from the "Big Game" is essentially money out of his pocket.

Benal
05-19-2005, 03:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting analogy, and accurate to boot.