PDA

View Full Version : Most Underrated Album...

CallMeIshmael
05-17-2005, 02:20 PM
Partially inspired by discussion in the best Beatles album thread...

Which big name album do you think is most under appreciated by the public?

(No obscure s[/i]hit)

Im voting The Who - Who's next

pshreck
05-17-2005, 02:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]

(No obscure s[/i]hit)

[/ QUOTE ]

OOT is a wasteland for people thinking their obscure bands make the greatest music ever.

Although Pet Sounds by The Beach Boys is popular now, I think it is amazing that for a few years after its release it was considered garbage. Now it is widely considered one of the greatest albums ever made (top album or top 5 in many such lists). Weird how perspective can change like that.

BreakfastBurrito
05-17-2005, 02:23 PM
Hooters - Nervous Night

I like the 80s

Soul Daddy
05-17-2005, 02:25 PM
Paul's Boutique

BWebb
05-17-2005, 02:27 PM
For rap, I'd go with Outkast-ATLiens. This was probably their least critically acclaimed album when it came out, but I think that was more do to expectations after Southerplayalistic... and the hype surrounding it. It is probably my favorite Outkast album and that is saying a lot.

CallMeIshmael
05-17-2005, 02:27 PM
Best. Avatar. Ever.

pshreck
05-17-2005, 02:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Paul's Boutique

[/ QUOTE ]

Now go ahead and explain why you would consider this underrated.

Soul Daddy
05-17-2005, 02:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Paul's Boutique

[/ QUOTE ]

Now go ahead and explain why you would consider this underrated.

[/ QUOTE ]
By the music community? No. By the public? Certainly, much in the same way that Pet Sounds is. The only people who appreciate this album are Beastie Boys fans who either were with it from the jump or others went back and sought it out years after release. It was a complete commercial failure when it was released.

BreakfastBurrito
05-17-2005, 02:35 PM
I stopped listening to rap when I was 12, but up to that point I thought that Sir Mix-a-Lot's Swass was a great album that no one else had heard of.

emil3000
05-17-2005, 02:39 PM
Toxicity by System of a down... They are funny. I usually don't listen to the genre but they are funny and humble, also toxicity the song is totally catchy.

CallMeIshmael
05-17-2005, 02:40 PM
(Im hijacking my own thread)

yo dude... I've always been curious...

[ QUOTE ]
Linköping, super poker city

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you think Erik's presence in that city made internet poker more popular?

trying2learn
05-17-2005, 02:41 PM
many never heard it, but Stroke 9 had an album called Nasty Little Thoughts about 4 or 5 years ago that was a truly great record.

istewart
05-17-2005, 02:42 PM
Oasis - (What's the Story) Morning Glory

Although they were one of the more popular bands of the 90s, there has been a weird backlash against them that I think is largely undeserved. This album is awesome all the way through IMHO.

Rage Against the Machine - Rage Against the Machine

For those who know it, and like them, no it's not underrated. But it is a near perfect album in my opinion, and should be in more people's favorites collections.

istewart
05-17-2005, 02:44 PM
Perhaps Deloused in the Comatorium as well even though a shitload of people like it. Pitchfork gave it a sub-5 rating though /images/graemlins/frown.gif

CallMeIshmael
05-17-2005, 02:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
there has been a weird backlash against them that I think is largely undeserved.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am an absolutely huge fan of DM, and WTSMG... and, The Masterplan is the most underrated album of the 90s, IMO.

BUT... the backlash is deserved.

Be here now = teh suck
SOTSOG = slightly better than teh suck
HC = teh suck

The well has run dry for Noel.

KDawgCometh
05-17-2005, 02:45 PM
Talking Heads: remain in light

The Who: Quadrophenia(the best who album and it seems to get little love)

Pink Floyd: Animals

miajag81
05-17-2005, 02:46 PM
I don't know that Who's Next is an underrated album, it's on pretty much every list of greatest rock album that I've seen. My vote goes to Pink Floyd's Animals.

CallMeIshmael
05-17-2005, 02:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The Who: Quadrophenia(the 2nd best who album and it seems to get little love)

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP.

[ QUOTE ]
Pink Floyd: Animals

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh. God. Yes. (also.. not as underappreciated, but: wish you were here)

shemp
05-17-2005, 02:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Although Pet Sounds by The Beach Boys is popular now, I think it is amazing that for a few years after its release it was considered garbage.

[/ QUOTE ]

For 30 years it has been fashionable/cliche for people to mention Pet Sounds as under celebrated and artists to cite it as an influence. Now, the number of people saying so is deafening.

Dominic
The Cars' "Candy-O"

CallMeIshmael
[ QUOTE ]
I don't know that Who's Next is an underrated album, it's on pretty much every list of greatest rock album that I've seen.

[/ QUOTE ]

So are pet sounds and rubber soul.

Doesnt mean they arent underappreciated.

istewart
05-17-2005, 02:48 PM
Ishmael, showing off.

However, Quadrophenia is the correct choice for this thread.

BTW Ishmael sign on.

KDawgCometh
05-17-2005, 02:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The Who: Quadrophenia(the 2nd best who album and it seems to get little love)

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP.

[/ QUOTE ]

musically its one of the most challenging and daring albums to ever come out. Though I'm not gonna really disagree with your favorite who album either

bernie
05-17-2005, 03:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't know that Who's Next is an underrated album, it's on pretty much every list of greatest rock album that I've seen.

[/ QUOTE ]

So are pet sounds and rubber soul.

Doesnt mean they arent underappreciated.

[/ QUOTE ]

What's your definition of underappreciated then?

b

contentless
05-17-2005, 03:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
many never heard it, but Stroke 9 had an album called Nasty Little Thoughts about 4 or 5 years ago that was a truly great record.

[/ QUOTE ]

I heard it back in the day (whoooo high school). Too poppy for my tastes.

CallMeIshmael
05-17-2005, 03:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What's your definition of underappreciated then?

b

[/ QUOTE ]

There are two communities:

1. The music community
2. The general public

For example, Pet sounds is probably overrated within the music communinty now, but REALLY underrated by the general public.

razor
05-17-2005, 03:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The Who: Quadrophenia(the best who album and it seems to get little love)

[/ QUOTE ]

nice choice... side 4 rules.

IndieMatty
05-17-2005, 03:25 PM
Third Eye Blind - Blue

YourFoxyGrandma
05-17-2005, 03:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Third Eye Blind - Blue

[/ QUOTE ]

Didn't think I'd see this already posted. Nice work.

emil3000
05-17-2005, 03:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
(Im hijacking my own thread)

yo dude... I've always been curious...

[ QUOTE ]
Linköping, super poker city

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you think Erik's presence in that city made internet poker more popular?

[/ QUOTE ]

I started playing when I was fairly new in Linköping. I've been studying here for two years and been playing poker for a year and some odd months. Didn't know about any of those guys then. But yeah, when I've talked to people in local games, it seems that they're quite awed by erik, and pirooti, and tiltmenot, and I think this probably has an effect on the poker boom. Linköping has a fairly big university, and this is of course part of the answer. The MBA provides a large player base, and some other engineering programs do their part.

So I think it's part of the reason for many, but not for me.

IndieMatty
05-17-2005, 03:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Third Eye Blind - Blue

[/ QUOTE ]

Didn't think I'd see this already posted. Nice work.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank's I follow directions g00t.

(actually undderated AND not obscure)

private joker
05-17-2005, 03:41 PM
None of these albums mentioned so far seem all that underrated to me. I'm thinking of two that hardly ever get praised but are among my favorite records of all time. The gap between their quality and their presence in the zeitgeist is too large to ignore:

Catherine Wheel - Adam & Eve

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B000001EV2.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Unbelievable Truth - Almost Here

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00000DCEP.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

jgorham
05-17-2005, 04:33 PM
Radiohead's Kid A

IndieMatty
05-17-2005, 04:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Radiohead's Kid A

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you even read what the OP is looking for?

jgorham
05-17-2005, 05:10 PM
Yeah - he even went on to clarify he means the public not the critics. Or at least that is what I understood.

IndieMatty
05-17-2005, 05:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah - he even went on to clarify he means the public not the critics. Or at least that is what I understood.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think critics and the public rate this album very highly. (This and every other radiohead album)

Same go's with most of the bands mentioned (Animals - Pink Floyd, Pauls Boutique - BB--any WHO album)

trying2learn
05-17-2005, 05:18 PM
catherine wheel rules - i saw them (with the cocteau twins) live the night cobain shot himself and they came back for a 3 song encore of nirvana tunes after their set...it was awesome.

bwana devil
05-17-2005, 05:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think critics and the public rate this album very highly. (This and every other radiohead album)

Same go's with most of the bands mentioned (Animals - Pink Floyd, Pauls Boutique - BB--any WHO album)

[/ QUOTE ]

i was going to make a smart aleck remark about his radio head choice before you made yours but then i realized everyone else is naming floyd and beach boys albums. and they are multi platinum. i wont bother checking the actual numbers but i can say quite confidently floyd album sales eclipse radiohead album sales.

still would have been a funny reply but i figured it was a needless barb.

IndieMatty
05-17-2005, 05:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i was going to make a smart aleck remark about his radio head choice before you made yours but then i realized everyone else is naming floyd and beach boys albums. and they are multi platinum. i wont bother checking the actual numbers but i can say quite confidently floyd album sales eclipse radiohead album sales.

still would have been a funny reply but i figured it was a needless barb.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I tried not to be a smart ass. I often reply without reading everything. It's just funny that three or four albums are some of the few albums that are BOTH critically and publically acclaimed.

Soul Daddy
05-17-2005, 05:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
There was a huge backlash against Radiohead when this album was released, as it was not deemed by the populace as a worthy follow up to OK Computer. They lost a lot of fans because of this album, which in turn served to establish their true core audience.

Like Pet Sounds and Paul's Boutique, many have come around to it in time, and many more likely will as more time passes. But the bands all had to re-establish themselves in some form before these albums were accepted by a sizeable portion of their base, and are still not as popular as they likely should be.

FeelGoodAboutHood
05-17-2005, 05:51 PM
Haven't read anything else in this thread so don't know what's been said, but Astral Weeks from Van Morrison has got to be up there, it's undoubtedly one of the best albums of the last 50 years, and you'd be surprised at how many fairly knowledgable music people pay it no attention.

IndieMatty
05-17-2005, 06:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
There was a huge backlash against Radiohead when this album was released, as it was not deemed by the populace as a worthy follow up to OK Computer. They lost a lot of fans because of this album, which in turn served to establish their true core audience.

Like Pet Sounds and Paul's Boutique, many have come around to it in time, and many more likely will as more time passes. But the bands all had to re-establish themselves in some form before these albums were accepted by a sizeable portion of their base, and are still not as popular as they likely should be.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is all true. But none of these albums were underrated... /images/graemlins/confused.gif Critics, called it a departure, and most fans realized it's greatness eventually, or at the very least bought enough to make it go platinum? I guess this is my definition. I understand I guess. I just want "underrated" to span both by popularity and "music fans/critics"

Here's more "underrated albums"

The first Korn Album...didn't sell too many copies, and critics never loved. But this album kicks all sorts of ass. Everything else they ever did sucked for "music fans" but the populace ate it up.

Weezer - Pinkerton (stretching it because most music kids love this album) - Not as adored as the Blue album either sales or critics wise, but easily one of the best albums of the 90s. It's a shame Rivers is such a douchebag now.

Andrew WK -first one- dude's awesome; his live shows are unparallelled, and he's so [censored] talented.

Anything Coheed and Cambria. - dudes are awesome; critics hate, and are popular. (Those Mars Volta albums might get the nod too)

(I'm trying real hard to not go obscure on people..)

Oh...Gordon Lightfoot (again anything).

I'm writing this real quick, cause I want to get out of the office. Excuse my mistakes.

-Matt

jgorham
05-17-2005, 06:18 PM
You are right that Kid A sold a lot of albums, but it still got bashed a lot because it was so different than OK Computer. Even if it sold a lot, it is still underrated IMO as I think it is the best Radiohead album.

Hard for me to pick a cd from them, but I am gonna go with Kill the Moonlight by Spoon. That album is great and the band is great, yet no one has ever heard of them /images/graemlins/frown.gif It certainly is critically acclaimed though.

gvibes
05-17-2005, 06:21 PM
Pink Floyd - animals was a good pick. I bought that on a whim (after wall, dark side, and wish you were here), and I was shocked at how good it was.

Hum - you'd prefer an astronaut
hum - downward is heavenward

I still listen to those albums all the time.

istewart
05-17-2005, 06:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hard for me to pick a cd from them, but I am gonna go with Kill the Moonlight by Spoon. That album is great and the band is great, yet no one has ever heard of them It certainly is critically acclaimed though.

[/ QUOTE ]

"The Way We Get By" rocks.

cbfair
05-17-2005, 08:02 PM
Kinks - Lola Vs. Powerman and the Moneygoround

Patrick del Poker Grande
05-17-2005, 09:57 PM
Queens of the Stone Age - R

Patrick del Poker Grande
05-17-2005, 10:00 PM
Oh yeah, and Smashing Pumpkins - Adore

mmbt0ne
05-17-2005, 10:40 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse ā:</font><hr />
Weezer - Pinkerton (stretching it because most music kids love this album) - Not as adored as the Blue album either sales or critics wise, but easily one of the best albums of the 90s. It's a shame Rivers is such a douchebag now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Chosen as the worst album of the year by Rolling Stone.

Good choice with Blue. Out of the Vein is really good too, except I hate that damn "Self Righteous" song. Another bonus, OOTV is almost entirely about his breakup with Charlize Theron. I have a serious man-crush on Stephan Jenkins though, especially since he's nailing Vanessa Carlton.

I still listen to War All the Time by Thursday and it managed to make onto the radio for about a week when it opened at #7 on Billboard. Props to them for figuring out that if you presell your album for a couple months it'll all count towards the first weeks sales, and suddenly they're a top ten band, and radio stations are playing them if only because they don't know what else to do.

Boris
05-17-2005, 10:53 PM
i think pet sounds sucks.

siccjay
05-17-2005, 10:55 PM
Tech-N9ne - Anghellic
Tech-N9ne - Absolute Power

dsm
05-17-2005, 11:24 PM
http://rds.yahoo.com/S=96062883/K=spinal+tap+black+album/v=2/SID=w/l=IVS/SIG=11n7h2heu/EXP=1116472605/*-http%3A//www.makingtime.co.uk/tap.jpg Spinal Tap's "Black Album"

http://www.beatletracks.com/images/sr_s.jpg

IndieMatty
05-18-2005, 12:36 AM
Nice ones. I just thought of another. Sparta - Wiretap Scars.

Enon
05-18-2005, 06:37 AM
David Bowie - Hunky Dory

Almost everyone knows the chours to 'changes' ("ch ch ch ch changes, turn and face the strange..."), yet not many of these people know what an amazing record this is.

JaBlue
05-18-2005, 07:14 AM
deloused is a very good album but I would not call it underrated.

mmbt0ne
05-19-2005, 02:08 PM
On the way back from Star Wars last night, one of my friends, who's working with middle schoolers this summer, told me that one of his kids is in a band and that they play All the Small Things. So we started talking about Blink 182, and I realized that Enema of the State is a really good album, that does just about everything you expect it to.