PDA

View Full Version : Best books for Investing

Nato76
05-16-2005, 12:59 PM
I am interested in learning how to invest in the stock market and real estate. What are some good books I can read? I know nothing about investing but I do not want to work for "the man" my whole life. Thanks.

eric5148
05-16-2005, 11:54 PM
Check out this thread. (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=1822009&page=&view=&sb=5& o=&fpart=all&vc=1)

Maulik
05-17-2005, 12:55 AM
Intelligent Investor, Benj Graham

Other book link thread:

More Business // Investing Books (http://www.younginvestors.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)

GeorgeF
05-17-2005, 09:32 AM
"I do not want to work for "the man" my whole life"

You can either start your own business, or get promoted to the 'man'.

try score.org dalecarnegie.com toastmasters.org

For real estate I suggest that you try to find a job in that area (even if it is just a handy man) and keep you eyes open for opportunities. On your spare time go to open houses, as if there are any commercial properties available. Look to see if there is any distressed properties in your area. Attend foreclosure/tax auctions.

Investing in stocks bonds and small scale real estate is for people who work for the man, are successfull, and have extra income after buying necessities.

In the past 20 years the people who made out were those that worked for the govenrment and got pensions. I can't say that will be the case in the future but if you are younger than 40, preferably 30 then getting a union civil service job seems like the best shot in today's USA.

Nato76
05-17-2005, 10:58 AM
Thanks guys. I appreciate that you took the time to post. Any good forums I should check out?

Edit: I am registering on Younginvestors.

michiganfan9
05-31-2005, 09:43 AM
Any book by Benjamin Graham. Other books include the warren buffett way and buffetology. He has beat the S&P every year and he studied under Graham. You can't lose with Buffett.

imported_bingobazza
05-31-2005, 10:29 PM
Tomorrows gold by Mark Faber is brilliant book, the trouble is tomorrow is already here, but its well worth the read. The Zulu principle by Jim Slater is a good book for beginners, as is 'One up on Wall Street' by Peter Lynch. If you have a spare few months, in a few years, 'Security Analysis' by Ben Graham and David Dodd.

Nato76
06-02-2005, 05:27 PM
I am very interested in day trading. What book do you think is best on this subject? Also I hear a lot about learning through demos. Where would I find this kind of info? I am a newbie just trying to learn so be easy on me.

gvibes
06-02-2005, 08:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I am very interested in day trading. What book do you think is best on this subject? Also I hear a lot about learning through demos. Where would I find this kind of info? I am a newbie just trying to learn so be easy on me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Day-trading? This isn't 1999. Daytrading is a losing game.