PDA

View Full Version : Bellagio 15-30 hand

M.B.E.
11-30-2002, 09:24 PM
I have K/forums/images/icons/spade.gifQ/forums/images/icons/club.gif in the small blind. There's two limpers and the button raises. I call, as does BB and limpers. Five-way action with 10 small bets in the pot.

FLOP: Q/forums/images/icons/heart.gif 9/forums/images/icons/heart.gif 8/forums/images/icons/spade.gif

I check, intending to checkraise the button. BB bets out. One limper folds; other limper and button call. I just call.

TURN: [Q/forums/images/icons/heart.gif 9/forums/images/icons/heart.gif 8/forums/images/icons/spade.gif] 8/forums/images/icons/club.gif

Checked around to the button, who bets. I call (?). Others call. Four of us see the river card; 11 big bets in the pot.

RIVER: [Q/forums/images/icons/heart.gif 9/forums/images/icons/heart.gif 8/forums/images/icons/spade.gif 8/forums/images/icons/club.gif] 6/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif

I check, BB bets, limper folds, button calls, I call.

Results later.

Ed Miller
11-30-2002, 09:37 PM
I muck KQo for a raise in the SB... even a button raise. If the button is the sort to raise a wide range of hands on the button here, then it is probably worth a play... but there can't be much +EV here in playing a relatively weak holding in the worst position for a raise.

Planning for the checkraise is fine. I think I agree with just calling after the bet comes from your left.

After being checked to the button, I think you have a raise or fold here on the turn. It's hard not to put BB and limper on draws here (or possibly the slowplayed JT). I think it's unlikely that the button has an 8, given his preflop raise. He could have a set... but I think a Q is more likely. So you fold if you think AQ is most likely (though you should have folded preflop in that case).. and raise otherwise.

On the river, I think you have to overcall given the way you played the hand and what hands the button could have. I think BB and button probably both have Q's. BB could have JT and been weak on the turn when the scare card came. Either way, I don't think you can muck here.

BB King's
11-30-2002, 10:30 PM
Your pre-flop call is debateable because the buttons raise is not a steal-raise because of the two limpers.

It doesn't make a lot of sense to raise the flop - but you have to raise the turn !

Just my opinion ...

cpk
12-01-2002, 01:54 AM
You have to pay too much to see the flop out of position with KQo. It's probably the best hand I would muck in this situation, but muck it I would.

I think a raise is pointless on the flop, but a check-raise on the turn separates the pretenders from the contenders.

The river is a rough overcall, so why not bet out? That naturally follows from a turn check-raise.

mike l.
12-01-2002, 03:12 AM
big unsuited cards suck in big pots. playing from the sb sucks. folding here preflop is the strong disciplined play. calling here is what a lot of us do. i definitely do too often.

the flop play here doesnt really matter. i think it's pretty clear that bb is on a draw when he bets out of order. i think he has T7s because that jives w/ his out of turn river bet. i think the button has something like A8s. i dont know where you can get off of this hand though given the pot size. you may have button beat, he may have JJ or TT for instance.

so... i think you played it fine.

lysis
12-01-2002, 04:30 AM
The logical read suggests that the BB has T7s, and the button has anything from an AQ (unlikely, since you would probably see a raise on the flop) to a QJs (more likely, since this explains the pre-flop raise as well - "button raise").

It is also possible that the BB has 89.

Personally, with two cards to a flush, and a button who raised, I don't see that I have much of an option other than to bet out on the flop, for the horrible reason of "seeing where I stand", and to figure out how cautiously I should proceed on the turn and river (i.e. if button raises my flop bet, I can consider folding).

However, your plan to check-raise did give you some good info, when the BB bet, and the button just called.

Given the info gathered, I don't see how you win on the river, given the BB's bet out of turn. It's a tough position to save a bet in, I probably couldn't it myself either.

lysis

mikelow
12-01-2002, 02:07 PM
Why no checkraise? Weren't you planning that? Yes, I would checkraise the turn to thin the field out. As for
playing KQoff in ths small blind, it's close. Big unsuited cards don't do so well in large multiway pots.

M.B.E.
12-01-2002, 08:50 PM
Lysis, you win the prize for best read. BB did indeed have 98o for a full house. Nobody else showed, but the button angrily said to her husband (who had been watching), "I had a hand!". I assume she had JJ, TT, QJs, or perhaps KQs.

Interesting that almost everyone said to muck preflop. This is 15-30, so calling a raise from the SB is a little cheaper than in 10-20 or 20-40. I was getting pot odds of 13-to-2 assuming that everyone else called. Still you all could be right that a fold preflop would have been best.

The flop play was straightforward. Sometimes I would have bet out in that situation (it's very important to "mix up" your flop play in the small blind: if you always go for a checkraise when you have top pair, good kicker then your opponents will know you have a draw or a weak hand when you do bet out). Obviously after BB bets and everyone calls it's pointless for me to raise.

During the play of the hand I didn't really like my play on the turn. My impulse was to checkraise after the button bet, because there was a reasonable chance I had the best hand. But something smelled wrong: I thought someone -- perhaps the button -- might have JT for a flopped straight. Also with the bottom card pairing, I was suspicious that either the BB or the limper had made trips and was going for a checkraise. So I called.

The irony of this hand is that I could have won it preflop by three-betting, forcing the BB to fold. Also I could have saved a few bets by folding preflop. But other than that, I lost the minimum on this hand.

The BB was crazy not to raise the turn with his full house, after the button bet and I called.

Ed Miller
12-01-2002, 08:58 PM
I have to admit that I didn't even consider the boat. He bets out on the flop with two pair, but then checks-calls when he fills? Geez... people are strange sometimes.

JTG51
12-01-2002, 10:15 PM
I agree mojorkong, but I see players do this type of thing all the time. They seem to be trying to guarantee they don't get more than one bet on any street with a big hand. It always makes me scratch my head.