PDA

View Full Version : What is the remedy for PFAS?

09-05-2001, 01:30 AM
It is an unsolved mystery and it is driving them crazy. A remedy is surely needed. Not that it is such a terrible crime but it seems to be spreading like the plague. Sure everyone has heard the old saying, "monkey see monkey do." What puzzles them is there are so many monkeys doing it over and over and over again. Okay, so occasionally they get away with it and maybe they even make a small profit now an then. The real mystery is why do they think they can keep doing it without even considering why they did it in the first place?

Someone said it has to do with ego. Ego the little word that drives mindless acts of aggression to the brink of destruction. Many a soul has gone down the road as the aggressor with hopes of an easy conquest. Only to find another ego looking back saying, "NO, not this time Stranger." But, to blame it totally on ego, would not be fair. Someone started the concept and it just got out of hand. Isn't that the way it always is. Someone has the flu and shares it with someone, who shares it with another and so on and so on...

The problem is no one listens or they listen selectively. Selective learning is a dangerous commodity. Put into the wrong hands, incomplete information can destroy a profit line and that's a sickness. Making a profit is what makes the economy good for everyone. When that profit is jeopardized because of a senseless act of aggression, it may be time to take a step back and say why am I doing this?

So why do we push nothing so hard, so often, and usually at the wrong time. Pushing nothing to the river can be very costly. How do I know? Been there, done it, and still doing it. Pushing nothing to the river and ending up with the less than nothing. We have all read the concept somewhere. We get a great starting hand and raise! Then we flop, zip, and we keep pushing. After carful consideration and fore thought, pushing nothing is a poker players most deadly mental illness. It's called Post Flop Aggression Syndrom (PFAS). Is there a cure? Or are those who are afflicted with PFAS doomed to a life of ever diminishing returns?

There are two kinds of PFAS. Both kinds start out simply by raising the pre-flop with something called potential. Raising with potential does not mean you have PFAS. We sure don't want everyone who raises with potential to run to there nearest poker Guru looking for a remedy. So please don't get paranoid.

The first and most serious PFAS is [PFAS-MxA] (MxA= maximum aggression). After the pre-flop raise the potential begins to deteriorate. The field still has more than four active players in the hand plus the mentally ill player. Pushing nothing hear and continuing to push nothing to the river when the field is still calling is PFAS-MxA. The more you do it the greater the mental illness.

The second form of PFAS is called [PFAS-TA] (TA = thoughtless aggression). It is not as serious as PFAS-MxA and the remedy can be corrected. The cure I'm sure could be done with out-patient surgery. Pushing nothing against a very small field of callers one or two all the way to the river. Pushing nothing without knowing the enemies habits and being oblivious to the obvious. That's PFAS-TA.

In the non poker world PFAS would be like trying to push four strangers around. Trying to make them surrender to your will, without a gun. Now how many of us would do that? That's PFAS. The remedy, is beyond the scope of this post. We will need an expert. Look for an expert's post under this one, I'm sure someone has a remedy.

SPM,...play long and prosper...

09-05-2001, 06:56 AM
SPM - Your posts are truly works of art - I hope the lurkers and regulars here realize how good your writings truly are.

Just some thoughts...

Michael D. (Soccer/Sucker Mike D.)

09-05-2001, 08:24 AM
oh most mediocre spm, the cure is having a true poker bankroll and going tap city...gl...write long and avoid ct,,,,gl

09-05-2001, 08:49 AM
recognizing (and admitting) the problem, is clearly a great start to begin recovery. May the flop be with you

hillbilly -one game at a time

09-05-2001, 12:39 PM
Post Flop Aggression Syndrom (PFAS) - pushing nothing.

Listen up all you people. Listen, all you unhappy people. The drinks and the jokes are on me. It had to be you. It had to be you.....

PFAS is a common disease among novice poker players. It occurs most often to those that are just learning the value of being aggressive but have not reached the epitome of controlled aggression. Yes as SPM has so pointedly pointed out this "syndrome" can be costly if not cured.

Well listen up. There is a cure! There is a cure, right here in River city. With a capital C and that C stands for "Comittment". Comittment is the difference between the Pig and the Chicken in a Ham and Egg breakfast. The chicken is a participant but the Pig is committed.

Commit to playing winning poker. Study, Learn, practice and review winning techniques. Commit to intelligent application of a winning strategy. If you suffer from PFAS and are aware that you have this condition then oil up your committment with a little self analysis. Or just add a little bit of Dr. Lepore's "Penetrating Comittment Oil" (PCO) to your presession diet. You will be amazed at the results. I gaurantee it will immediately relieve the pressure from an over inflated ego. It will clear your eyes so you will easily recognize "time to ease up" situations that elluded you in the past. Yes in no time at all you will find you have overcome PFAS and will be able to move on to more serious flaws that may have in your game. Flaws that Dr. Lepore also has a cure for but these remedies will have to wait for another time. Now go on out there and "commit" and don't forget to order your bottle of my PCO today! For a limited time only you can buy a 1o session bottle for $1.298. checks and any other funny money accepted.

Vince