PDA

View Full Version : T9s turn

Nate tha' Great
05-12-2005, 04:57 PM
This hand came up last night in the 15/30.

I have T /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif on the CO and raise two limpers. The BB calls the raise, as do the limpers. Unfortauntely I have not upgraded my Playerview version yet and had not been at the table long, so I'm going pretty much without player reads.

The flop is Q /images/graemlins/heart.gif J /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 3 /images/graemlins/club.gif. The BB bets out, the first limper calls, the next limper folds and I raise. The BB just calls and now the limper folds, so it's heads up.

The turn is the Q /images/graemlins/spade.gif and it's checked to me. Bet or check?

TheHip41
05-12-2005, 05:00 PM
I'd check. On of the two has a Q or J most likely. You bought a free card, use it.

brazilio
05-12-2005, 05:03 PM
I'm betting.

meep_42
05-12-2005, 05:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'd check. On of the two has a Q or J most likely. You bought a free card, use it.

[/ QUOTE ]

What he said.

-d

Aces McGee
05-12-2005, 05:04 PM
It's heads up, dudes.

-McGee

brazilio
05-12-2005, 05:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's HU

Redeye
05-12-2005, 05:07 PM
I'll take a shot. I think I would check behind. Normally, HU, if I'm betting I like to keep up the pressure even if I'm on a draw because a bet often gets a fold on the turn and you can win a lot of pots UI.

The problem here is that BB is probably betting a Q or a J. If he's betting a Q, you're getting c/red which sucks when drawing live. If he has a jack, you're losing money betting the turn because he won't fold. Unless you think this guy would take a shot at that flop with a smaller pair and can fold the turn, I don't see a bet doing any good.

Also, he could be betting another straight draw like KT. If thats the case, you might be able to get a fold on the river by betting the turn and then the river if a blank hits, but this is too unlikely to really be a factor here.

chesspain
05-12-2005, 05:08 PM
Since the BB is folding the turn, like never, and you don't care about a free showdown...oh, you know where I'm going with this.

Redeye
05-12-2005, 05:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It's HU

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that if we raised a hand like this, flopped a draw and got it HU on the turn, betting is better because you can win w/o improving. However, to me this is only good when you raise preflop and no one shows aggression on the flop letting you bet first (also not getting c/red). In this case, when HU on the turn you should continue firing. Here you have a guy betting and calling a raise. There isn't anything that he could have that would justify betting the turn. Even if he has a J or small pp, he's probably not folding, at least not enough for the turn bet to become more profitable than a check I think.

meep_42
05-12-2005, 05:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It's heads up, dudes.

-McGee

[/ QUOTE ]

Does he have (and bet - and lay down on the turn or river) KT,T9,TT-44,22,2/images/graemlins/heart.gifs often enough to justify a bet here? I think there's 3% chance we have the best hand, and only a small chance of getting BB to lay down here or on the river.

The only value I can see in a bet would be to fold a med/small PP (with which BB may not bet out on a 2-broadway coordinated board) or by continuing a bluff on the river to fold out a flush/straight draw.

I suck at HU, though.

I would think about a semi-bluff here, but it really sucks to get raised, and i'd probably puss out and check through a blank river. (Sometimes, i'd actually make it, but readless, it's difficult.)

-d

GetThere1Time
05-12-2005, 05:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It's heads up, dudes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup, you are heads up. Heads up with the pair that won't fold anything now that the board has paired. I'd check the turn.

wildwood
05-12-2005, 05:25 PM
Nate has position, and BB checked the turn indicating weakness. I think a semi-bluff is correct here if there is even a small chance the BB will fold. The second queen is a scare card for the bb if he doesn't have one in the pocket. If the bb check-raises, then you have step back and reevalute the hand. If you think there is no chance of the bb folding then checking behind may be the better play. imho

GetThere1Time
05-12-2005, 05:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think a semi-bluff is correct here if there is even a small chance the BB will fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

If he was betting any pair, he's now calling down. If he has a queen, he's c/ring and if he has a draw, he's calling leaving you in a bad spot at the river if you bet the turn. I dont think the chance he'll fold is small enough.

[ QUOTE ]
The second queen is a scare card for the bb if he doesn't have one in the pocket

[/ QUOTE ]

I think its the complete opposite. Another queen on the board makes him feel that much safer with any pair.

MaxPower
05-12-2005, 05:33 PM
The question here is how often a semi-bluff will make him fold the turn. I would guess almost never.

The problem with not betting the turn though is that you may not be able to bluff the river.

I think the semi-bluff would need to work 10% of the time or more to be more profitable than checking and hoping to catch.

Shillx
05-12-2005, 05:33 PM
If I had to guess, I would say that the BB has some kind of a draw. If he had a queen, he probably would have gone for a check/raise in this spot. If he does have a draw, there is not point in betting here since he won't fold (unless of course it sets you up to win the pot on the river with a bet). The best reason to bet here would be if you think he might have Jx or a small pair and would throw it away to a bet. This doesn't seem very plausable to me, but the bet only has to work about one time in seven to show a profit. I kinda like checking here, with the intention of sometimes bluff raising the river if I miss. Obviously I won't always do it, but I think like he will take a stab at it with T9 or KT or whatever often enough to make it a viable play.

Brad

GetThere1Time
05-12-2005, 05:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The question here is how often a semi-bluff will make him fold the turn. I would guess almost never.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed.

meep_42
05-12-2005, 05:39 PM
I was liking a bluff-raise on a non-AKT9 river, actually.

-d

Victor
05-12-2005, 05:40 PM
theres 6.5bb in there so if he folds more than once every 6 times you are making money. of course, him leading the flop marks him with a pair. but who knows, ppl play crazy.

also, from metagame perspective, its good to show that you will follow thru with aggression and players are gonna pay to peel.

brazilio
05-12-2005, 05:41 PM
If he's on some kind of draw, then isn't following through on a blank river more effective than bluff raising his bet? I'm presuming we have zero showdown value.

GetThere1Time
05-12-2005, 05:42 PM
but after he leads the flop and the turn pairs queens I don't think he's folding 1 out of 6 times.

wildwood
05-12-2005, 05:54 PM
What range of hands is the BB likely to put Nate on after Nate's flop raise?

GetThere1Time
05-12-2005, 05:58 PM
Assuming BB thinks that much.

Maybe BB puts Nate on AK and c/r's the turn with pocket 2's.

CallMeIshmael
05-12-2005, 05:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is probably pretty important.

Particularily, if the BB assumes Nate would NOT be betting a draw on the turn.

gaming_mouse
05-12-2005, 05:59 PM
I check too, for reasons already stated. He is not folding his J, and perhaps not folding a pocket pair either. He is not folding a draw, and betting here for the river setup (hoping that he does have a draw) costs too much to be made up for by the times you're successful.

CallMeIshmael
05-12-2005, 06:07 PM
I would check it at 2/4...

but, I am not willing to rule out that at 15/30 this could be +EV.

I dont know how often you can get a J or smaller pocket pair to fold / set up a profitable river bet.

meep_42
05-12-2005, 06:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is probably pretty important.

Particularily, if the BB assumes Nate would NOT be betting a draw on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinking about this right as I submitted my last reply. And, I think that is the key.

BB, thinking that Nate raised PF with a reasonable hand, may fold PPs after the flop aggression, if followed through on. The PF raise makes it more likely Nate has a Q/J/big pair. The only thing that BB can think he beats is AK/AT at this point, and a lot of players would lay down 77 here.

-d

NomadCat
05-12-2005, 06:12 PM
Without a read, I think I take my free card here and nail an 8 on the river.

I guess if I think of this logically, though, he probably leads this with a draw (KT, 9T) to trap the field and not a pair; he'd probably checkraise to thin the field with those. If I were to follow with this assumption, I'd bet the turn (pray I don't get checkraised) and bet the river provided it's a blank and hope to fold-out a K-high.

imported_stealthcow
05-12-2005, 06:29 PM
i think reasons to bet again here are folding equity and trying to get a cheap river. if you had 3rd pair and the straight draw, i'd be much more inclined to bet out.

given that if you check behind, the rivers a blank and he bets it is an easy fold, i think you want the free turn instead of a free river.

also, this is to say nothing of the possiblilty if getting c/r on the turn and having to put in 2 bets with a draw and 2 undercards.

stealthcow-

brettbrettr
05-12-2005, 06:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
also, this is to say nothing of the possiblilty if getting c/r on the turn and having to put in 2 bets with a draw and 2 undercards.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or the possibility of betting, getting called, missing on the river, then betting to try and steal the pot. Or, are you checking behind a missed draw? I *never* do this, maybe I should.

CallMeIshmael
05-12-2005, 06:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Or the possibility of betting, getting called, missing on the river, then betting to try and steal the pot. Or, are you checking behind a missed draw? I *never* do this, maybe I should.

[/ QUOTE ]

Betting the turn with the intention of showing down UI is not good.

Its probably good that you never check the river UI here (after betting the turn)

brettbrettr
05-12-2005, 06:37 PM
whew.

TripleH68
05-12-2005, 06:38 PM
I realize perception is reality, but I often feel like I am throwing away money in these situations. The turn bet must be followed up by a river bet, then I get called down by Jx or 88-55.

So I guess the key to this hand is a free showdown doesn't mean much. Take the free card and hit the draw.

CallMeIshmael
05-12-2005, 06:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
whew.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course, if its a busted AQ high flush draw... well, thats another story.

wildwood
05-12-2005, 06:53 PM
I agree Nate's hand has no showdown value without improving. If the BB won't fold to a turn bet, then a river bet is the only way to win if a blank falls and the bb folds a busted draw. Betting the turn is probably wrong if there is absolutely no chance of the bb folding on the turn. imho

27offsooot
05-12-2005, 07:02 PM
I think BB would have c/red a J or Q on the flop, so i don't think he has that. But he has to have some sort of hand that he wanted to build a pot with by leading into a two limpers and a PFR that would very likely raise on this flop. So, I would put him on a draw and the only one that i can think of is K10 that he would play this way. The pot is decent, bet the turn and river.

wildwood
05-12-2005, 07:50 PM
There is one senario where Nate's hand would have showdown value on the river without improvement. If a Jack falls double pairing the board, any smallish pair that the bb might have in the pocket would be counterfeited.