PDA

View Full Version : Steal with JTo

Nick Royale
05-11-2005, 03:07 PM
UTG is 30/16/?.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is Button with T/images/graemlins/spade.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG 3-bets</font>, Hero calls, BB calls.

Flop: (9.50 SB) J/images/graemlins/club.gif, 7/images/graemlins/club.gif, 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG 3-bets</font>, Hero calls, BB calls.

Turn: (9.25 BB) 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls, BB calls.

River: (12.25 BB) Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls...

brettbrettr
05-11-2005, 03:10 PM
I'd probably just fold this pre-flop. UTG seems like an aggressive player, and I don't want to get involved with j-high with an aggressive player. Rather have something I could showdown.

meep_42
05-11-2005, 03:12 PM
I think you can fold the river.
Folding the turn wouldn't be that terrible, either. (the 9/images/graemlins/club.gif and T/images/graemlins/club.gif look dirty, giving you 5 outs, 2 of which may not win anyway.) I wouldn't fold, but I wouldn't think it was terrible if you had.

-d

LImitPlayer
05-11-2005, 03:44 PM
This isn't a steal with UTG in the hand.

I'd play the flop the same way as you have a gutshot for the straight.

I would probably raise the turn here as the LAG could be betting a wide range of hands. Raising might also get the BB to fold which would be a big plus in this situation. IF the BB is on a draw you want to charge him the max to see that river, It also might get the lag to slow down a bit.

I don't like The BB cold calling 2 on the flop.

IF they call your turn raise I would check the river and get a free showdown.

If you are succesful in knocking the BB out I would still check the river if checked to you.

If you are 3 bet on the turn I would probably fold the river unimproved.

Nick Royale
05-11-2005, 04:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This isn't a steal with UTG in the hand.

[/ QUOTE ]
I know. Indirect it sets up for a flop steal, though.

New001
05-11-2005, 05:36 PM
30% vpip isn't too high, especially if it's a smallish sample. JTo is a dog to too many of his possible holdings for me to raise here.

Nick Royale
05-11-2005, 05:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
30% vpip isn't too high, especially if it's a smallish sample. JTo is a dog to too many of his possible holdings for me to raise here.

[/ QUOTE ]
My raise here is more like standard than b/c of his vpip. I might be a dog to some of his holdings but many of these will he give up when I bet the flop. I'm interested in more opinions on the preflop raise, but I think I like it.

This (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&amp;Number=1840334&amp;page=&amp;view=&amp;s b=5&amp;o=) is a great thread. Check it out!

brazilio
05-11-2005, 06:08 PM
Myself I prefer to isolate with something a little bit better than JTo against a 30% VP$IPer, but I'm not folding that river against a LRR. I think I like it a lot better against a guy who has a lower WtSD regardless of VP$IP, as he'll fold the flop enough to easily make this profitable.

Nick Royale
05-11-2005, 06:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think I like it a lot better against a guy who has a lower WtSD regardless of VP$IP, as he'll fold the flop enough to easily make this profitable.

[/ QUOTE ]
WtSD is great when you're about to judge what player to isolate, but it demands that you have tons of hands on the player which I hadn't.

brazilio
05-11-2005, 07:05 PM
Then I think I fold this. I've been wavering back and forth on this one, because occasionally I'll do it, but I think JTo is a bit too weak when I have no idea how often he's seeing showdown and I have little idea he's going to fold the flop.

TStoneMBD
05-11-2005, 07:43 PM
fold pf. JTo is a pretty terrible hand. however, once you raise im not finding a fold anywhere else in the hand.

it seems that people limpreraise with junk and play their hands like aces even though they have nothing far too often to feel comfortable folding this river.