PDA

View Full Version : sooo... how long till Clemens is traded?

ThaSaltCracka
05-08-2005, 06:29 PM
he won't be going to NYY either, I am thinking Houston will go for some prospects, as they are getting old fast.

tbach24
05-08-2005, 06:32 PM
I doubt he'll get traded due to his bloated contract, the clause in his contract that states it will be another 3 million to get him traded (up to 21) and the fact that Houston are hopeless suckers that will always see themselves as contenders.

kerssens
05-08-2005, 06:32 PM
Since Houston's owner has said he won't trade Clemens I'm sure he'll be traded by the all-star game. Has anything new happened in the last couple days?

ThaSaltCracka
05-08-2005, 06:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Since Houston's owner has said he won't trade Clemens I'm sure he'll be traded by the all-star game. Has anything new happened in the last couple days?

[/ QUOTE ]Houston just continues to loose. Its about time for them to call it a year, IMO, and I think Clemens will definitely be moved, maybe to a team like Anaheim.

Pocket Trips
05-08-2005, 07:10 PM
He will be gone shortly after the all star game... gonna take a stab and say to Anaheim

pryor15
05-08-2005, 08:56 PM
i think they'll def wait until after berkman gets in a groove and see if they can't turn things around. they won't give up too quickly b/c of how they rebounded last year. that, and the $3M clause.

wonderwes
05-08-2005, 10:00 PM
What you have to realize about Roger he is a icon in Houston and all around Texas since he played at UTexas. The Astros are not nearly as good as they were last year. Losing Beltran was probably one of the biggest misses by management. I really do not see Clemens go anywhere except.... Boston. He is on company endorsements for all sorts of businesses in Houston. The reason the Astros signed him for 16 million was due to his numerous Cy-Young awards, but he will sell out the game when he is pitching that night.

The Astros for as many times they have come up short, have an excellent front office. Unless you are trading some other high profile bats or pitchers, I can not see Houston making the trade.

Voltron87
05-08-2005, 10:07 PM
if clemens cannot simply be bought out by the yankees with pure cash, they are going to have to give up a big bat. that is the only type of deal which would make sense for houston: trading a old pitcher who will only be stellar in the immediate short run for a new bat who will be good for years. short term loss, long term gain for a team which is out of it this year.

jesusarenque
05-08-2005, 10:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
if clemens cannot simply be bought out by the yankees with pure cash, they are going to have to give up a big bat. that is the only type of deal which would make sense for houston: trading a old pitcher who will only be stellar in the immediate short run for a new bat who will be good for years. short term loss, long term gain for a team which is out of it this year.

[/ QUOTE ]

Other than maybe ARod, do the Yankees have a "new bat who will be good for years"?

ThaSaltCracka
05-08-2005, 11:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
trading a old pitcher who will only be stellar in the immediate short run for a new bat who will be good for years.

[/ QUOTE ] if the Astros front office did this, it would be a ridiculously horrible move. One big bat will not change a thing in Houston, they need to get younger ASAP.

Pocket Trips
05-08-2005, 11:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The Astros for as many times they have come up short, have an excellent front office. Unless you are trading some other high profile bats or pitchers, I can not see Houston making the trade.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is precisely why they will trade Clemens for prospects b4 the deadline... they r an old team w// very little future.. 2 or 3 quality prospects may be worth giving up about 7 or 8 home sell-outs the 2nd half of the season

BigD226
05-08-2005, 11:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I really do not see Clemens go anywhere except.... Boston.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup. Not gonna happen, though.

Assuming Clemens would even want to go back to Boston, I doubt the Boston front office would do a Steinbrenner impression and throw away their best prospects for a 42 year-old big name. It would have to be a decent deal for them, too.

Beyond that, Clemens has certainly been impressive since he's been in Houston, but I can't believe anyone thinks he would be putting up the same numbers if he comes back to the AL East regardless if it were for the Sox or Yanks.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed...I don't think he's going anywhere, but naturally a lot can happen between now and July.

Jack of Arcades
05-09-2005, 02:10 AM
Clemens has nowhere to go. He doesn't want to go anywhere but the Yankees, and they only have a slightly better record than Houston...

Tht said, Drayton McClane would be an idiot to trade Roger. He's the most beloved sports figure in Houston HISTORY. Bigger than Hakeem. Bigger than Nolan... I watch a lot of Astro games, they're NUTS for Rocket. If he gets traded, Minute Maid burns.

andyfox
05-09-2005, 01:11 PM
I can't imagine Clemens approving a trade. Isn't the only reason he's playing at all is because he's in Houston?

The only thing I could see would be if Houston continues to flounder and the Yankees somehow come close to making a playoff spot after the All-Star break. Then perhaps Clemens would approve going back to New York to end his career if he had a chance to get to the post-season. And the Yankees are one of the few teams (the only team?) that wouldn't care about the $3,000,000.

bosoxfan
05-09-2005, 01:31 PM
I'm preety sure he dosen't need to approve it. Instead he gets 3 mil instead. So if he gets traded in july the team getting him is going to have to pay him like 15 mil for a couple of months plus play-offs worth of work.

Voltron87
05-09-2005, 01:39 PM
If Clemens is traded, he will be going to NY. He basically said so in his sunday interview. All the stuff about how he keeps in touch with Jeter and Posada, and thought they were a great team.

I can't put it into words how awesome this would be if it went through.

OldYoda
05-09-2005, 02:27 PM
Clemens isn't going anywhere because a) He doesn't want to leave Houston and his family, and b) it would be a bonehead trade that even the worst GM isn't dumb enough to make.Why give up any prospects or big names for a 42 year old pitcher, with no future.

sublime
05-09-2005, 02:32 PM

do they actually have anybody worth giving to HOU?

Aytumious
05-09-2005, 02:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really. They have possibly the worst minor league system in the game, and no real high end prospects except possibly Duncan, who is in his first season of AA ball, I believe.

kerssens
05-09-2005, 02:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Clemens isn't going anywhere because a) He doesn't want to leave Houston and his family, and b) it would be a bonehead trade that even the worst GM isn't dumb enough to make.Why give up any prospects or big names for a 42 year old pitcher, with no future.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because its about winning NOW and worry about building next years team in the offseason.

Voltron87
05-09-2005, 02:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really. We could find someone who wants a pitcher and cash and made it a 3 way deal. Maybe trade Mussina/Pavano. I have no real idea. But you're right, the Yankees have no real trade goods except the dollars.

sublime
05-09-2005, 03:00 PM
Maybe trade Mussina/Pavano.

wouldnt that be counterproductive? well, pavano anyways.

sadly, the NYY have to do witht hat they have got. and when you have a payroll like thiers, it 'should' be plenty. personally, i know they will go on some sick run this year, but it might not be enough. baltimore is tough, and *if* boston gets thier entire staff healthy it is probably near impossible.