PDA

View Full Version : 2 really quick preflop situations...

blackaces13
05-07-2005, 12:01 AM
Both on absolute 1/2, the table was fairly tight and I have no reason to believe that anyone involved in either hand is overly aggressive in any way.

#1. Ep player raises, MP player cold calls, folded to me in the BB with 67s. What's the plan?

#2. UTG limps, EP player raises, folded to me in the CO-1 with AJs. Cold calling is universally despised, I really HATE folding AJs in late position and re-raising is probably just silly. So what do I do?

I know preflop is considered to not even be worth thinking about for small stakes players who are already decent preflop but in semi-tight games like the ones I've found at Absolute I think its important enough to discuss.

Dead
05-07-2005, 12:04 AM
#1 is an easy fold against a typical opponent.

#2 depends on the guy who raised from EP. If he's LAG then I would 3bet the AJs. Otherwise I coldcall or fold.

irishpint
05-07-2005, 12:16 AM
1. fold
2. call or raise, villian dependant

blackaces13
05-07-2005, 12:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
#1 is an easy fold against a typical opponent.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why is it so easy to fold a hand as live as 67s getting over 5:1?

I don't mean this as a smart ass, I'd honestly like it explained.

Dead
05-07-2005, 12:30 AM
You're not getting over 5:1 by my count. You're getting exactly 5:1. And 76s is not the kind of hand that you want to play against two opponents. You'd like to play it against 3 or more and see the flop cheaply if at all possible.

5:1 is not enough to call with 76s here imo. Add another coldcaller and I'd do it.

blackaces13
05-07-2005, 12:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You're not getting over 5:1 by my count. You're getting exactly 5:1.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to nitpick but the SBs 50 cents gives me 5.5:1 on the call.

Dead
05-07-2005, 12:53 AM
Ah yes, I forgot that SB folded. Ok so you're getting 5.5:1.

I still don't think this is enough. Tell me why you think it is if you wish.

SlantNGo
05-07-2005, 01:06 AM
5.5 to 1 with a hand that has excellent implied odds, and we have great relative position on the pre-flop aggressor. Easy call in my opinion.

EDIT: Forgot to mention the second hand. I fold for the same reason that I call in the first hand. We have poor relative position on the flop. I don't think we want to act right after the PFR on any type of flop besides a Jxx. If we flop a strong draw, we want to trap for more bets and possibly a free card. If we flop top pair w/ the Ace, we are probably in a WA-WB situation, and I'd rather see 3rd guy's action before I decide how to proceed. I don't want to knock him out unless I have a good reason to believe I'm more like to be WA than WB.

So basically, I'm looking at relative position as the key factor in both cases.

pokerstudAA
05-07-2005, 01:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
#1. Ep player raises, MP player cold calls, folded to me in the BB with 67s. What's the plan?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you can call here and get out of the way of any unfavorable flop. Could be a profitable situation.
[ QUOTE ]

#2. UTG limps, EP player raises, folded to me in the CO-1 with AJs. Cold calling is universally despised, I really HATE folding AJs in late position and re-raising is probably just silly. So what do I do?

[/ QUOTE ]

Fold. Put a cold caller in between and I will call along. I dont think I am cold calling 1st in.

FishHooks
05-07-2005, 01:41 AM
The first situation is player dependant, if you dont feel comfortable with your post flop skills then easy fold, I think you can call this profitably if you have pretty good post flop skills. If you add up your chances of flushes, straights, 2 pair and trips, its about 10% so I think you can all this and see what the flop brings, it an easy hand to get rid of.

bottomset
05-07-2005, 04:17 AM
I call in hand 1

aK13
05-07-2005, 06:10 AM
I call hand 1. 5.5 to 1, and it's easy to get away from if you don't hit your draw. Also, since these guys are tight, you might be able to pick up the pot with a semi-bluff if you flop your draw.

I fold hand 2. Against an unknown, I don't coldcall AJs. I will with AQo, though. What about with KQs? (this is for all of you also) I think I fold this too. If there's another cold caller, though, I'd probably call both these suited hands.

droolie
05-07-2005, 08:41 AM
Hand 1: I call this every time. I like going in with low suited connectors against an EP raise from the BB. You have great relative position and cards that help you make a str8 won't help the raiser. Cards that make your flush well they make your flush and you gotta love your chances of winning.

Hand 2: I fold unless villian raises from EP with a wide range of hands. Throw in a couple ccers and I'll 3-bet or cc myself (70-30 split perhaps)

@bsolute_luck
05-07-2005, 08:54 AM
Hand #1: damn straight call that. you're not cold calling and you have great position to play the flush/straight draws IMHO.

Hand #2: you'd better be damn sure of your tight read and what range EP is raising with. AJs, i might reraise to buy the button. but most likely i'll call. folding.....meh, only if EP is a serious TAG and would only raise with AA-QQ, AK