PDA

View Full Version : missed flop wth big cards, how to proceed?

zCereal
05-06-2005, 01:24 AM
reads on all 3 players in the hand is pretty much the same, semi loose passives. will call alot preflop. willing to let hands go but will call with weak draws. read is not solid though as i have not played many hands with any of them. your thoughts on my flop lead out and what should i do on the turn. this sitatuation comes up often and i dono if i am playing it right.
Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, J/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls, MP1 calls, Button calls.

Flop: (8 SB) 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 6/images/graemlins/club.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, MP1 folds, Button folds.

Turn: (5 BB) 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero ...

istewart
05-06-2005, 01:25 AM
I tend to bet here HU.

UATrewqaz
05-06-2005, 01:31 AM
My analysis is pretty pitiful as I suck but here it is...

I would bet at it. If has nothing he will almost always fold, unless he's an uber fish. If he has something small, say a pair of 6's, he very well might call or fold, can't really predict based on your read, but there is at least SOME chance he'll fold (assuming you have a king or made a flush).

If he's got a flush he'll almost certainly raise you here, in which case you can safely fold, as you just have ace high and can't beat anything but a stone bluff.

Redd
05-06-2005, 01:35 AM
Grunching.

Honestly, if they like to call I'd just check-fold the flop. Am I weak-tight?

A_C_Slater
05-06-2005, 01:37 AM
I would check/fold on the flop. There's no way all 3 of them are folding 1/8 of the time here and you have no good outs. Don't feel you have to autobet because you raised preflop. The way you played I still check/fold the turn. He has to have ace high beat and if he has that beat he isn't folding. If it was HU I would bet this flop OOP.

A_C_Slater
05-06-2005, 01:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Grunching.

Honestly, if they like to call I'd just check-fold the flop. Am I weak-tight?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. Just sensible. Weak-tight would be raising with QQ-TT and check folding this flop because "someone has to have that king." Not AJs none of your suit and your only real out is an ace that might make someone with ace rag hit two pair anyway.

SlightlyMad
05-06-2005, 01:42 AM
It's not clear how tricky he plays his made hands, or how often he's been caught bluffing ... but if he's a typical player, I'd give him the benefit of the doubt, and bet/fold.

[First post after lurking here for a month.]

Goodnews
05-06-2005, 01:46 AM
I'd check/fold flop. But since you bet out, and managed to thin the field, I'd bet out, fold to a raise.

Note: I am working on this portion of my game, please correct/critique me.

Goodnews
05-06-2005, 01:47 AM
what is grunching?

LowDown22
05-06-2005, 01:48 AM
I tend to take a shot at these on the flop when I preflop raise and a K or A flops but misses my hand. These are the only times that I see that the loose-passives actually can respect your hand and fold. If I get raised its an easy fold.

Now since only one called I really want to bet this turn, but not sure if I would in this case as there is now a 3flush on board too.

Redd
05-06-2005, 01:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
what is grunching?

[/ QUOTE ]

Posting without looking at any of the earlier replies to the thread.

A_C_Slater
05-06-2005, 01:52 AM
Betting ace high with no redraws into 3 calling stations first to act is not a good idea. They are called calling stations for a reason. Now if the flop was T /images/graemlins/spade.gif 2 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif Then of course you should be betting into the 3 CS. Your hand is likely best and if not you still have a decent chance to improve to the best hand.

i wanna be me
05-06-2005, 04:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
what is grunching?

[/ QUOTE ]

Posting without looking at any of the earlier replies to the thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL i always thought grunching meant posting a negative opinion of a hand, with a face like this /images/graemlins/mad.gif

bottomset
05-06-2005, 04:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Betting ace high with no redraws into 3 calling stations first to act is not a good idea. They are called calling stations for a reason. Now if the flop was T /images/graemlins/spade.gif 2 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif Then of course you should be betting into the 3 CS. Your hand is likely best and if not you still have a decent chance to improve to the best hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

against calling stations you have 6outs a lot of the time(on the orig board) for the flop

I check the turn here

Wally Weeks
05-06-2005, 05:28 AM
I also tend to bet here HU, but I'm a laggy player in my evolution as a player currently. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

But as someone already mentioned, the problem with betting is you'll probably get called anyway by a calling station. With such a small pot, it may not be worth firing into.

I think in order to make the proper/best decision, you have to recall to some reasonable accuracy how much this opponent respects your bets at the moment. Some passives will fold, if you're table image is right. (i.e., you're observed winning pots with some pretty strong hands and therefore only have strong hands) Calling stations do sometimes fold, although not too often. The conditions have to be right.

Also how likely will this opponent check behind you to give you a nice beefy free card? And does this particular opponent call down with any piece of the board like middle or bottom pair (along with the said weak draws) on the turn?

Wally

string4
05-06-2005, 09:54 AM
*blind response, critique welcome*

With the reads you described, I'm betting out on the turn.

a. If raised on the turn, probably fold, since your typical passive probably hit their flush, or would only be betting out with SOME kind of hand, even w/ the second or third pair that will beat your A high if you don't improve (counting about five combined/adjusted outs, discounted for flush matches).

b. If called on the turn continue to bet out on the river (unless another heart falls, i'd rethink then), I see lots of passive players follow you to the turn and they fold like an automatic response if they don't hit anything. If he calls, ur probably beat and gonna lose. If he raises the river...i'm probably outta there, unless the pot odds are 1:10 or so...