PDA

View Full Version : Ping G2 Shaft Question

ceyoung
05-01-2005, 12:24 AM
I'm a 3-5 handicap golfer (haven't had a real calculated index for four years, but the last one was a 2.7) and am going to be getting a new 8.5deg G2. I play an old Titleist 975D with an Innovative 2.5 torque shaft. I prefer the Aldila NV-65 shaft to the Pro Launch 65. According to the launch meter I was swinging at 112-114mph. They only had the Aldila in a stiff shaft so I didn't have a chance to hit the x-stiff. Should I order a stiff or x-stiff shaft? Also, would there be any benefit in getting the NV-75 shaft or the Speeder 757? I can order what ever combination I decide on, and price isn't really a big deal.

ceyoung
05-01-2005, 08:05 AM
shameless bump. cause im thinking of ordering it today.

ghostface
05-01-2005, 08:25 AM
Speeder 757 is godly.

I have it in a 975J I got off E-Bay. Its really through the roof though, seeing how I got it in my club for 230. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Also, do you have a quick swing or a smooth slower swing? Thats what really matters for shaft flex at that clubhead speed.

ceyoung
05-01-2005, 08:33 AM
I'm not really sure. I'd probably say quicker cause i can feel the shaft load at the top sometimes. i like having the lighter shaft of the NV-65, but the heavier 757 and NV75 have torque's around 2.5 vs 3.5 in the NV65. My shaft right now is a 2.5, is the torque going be a big difference?

ghostface
05-01-2005, 08:41 AM
Jeez I'm out of the golf loop. Lower torque means lower trajectory right? If so you want lower torque and stiffer shafts with a quicker swing. Otherwise there will be some balls going left prettty fast.

I could be wayy off here but I think thats right.

With the 757 and an 8.5 I still hit the ball too damn high.

Edit: Torque. I'm retarded. Maybe thats why I'm hitting the ball so straight with this shaft. I think lower torque will make you hit the ball straighter with a quicker swing, and you will still get the load out of the shaft for distance.

I've been up all night so I'm probably speaking Spanish or something.

ceyoung
05-01-2005, 08:54 AM
i think that lower torque means lower horizontal dispersion. but im not an expert as i've always had people recommend shafts for me.

ghostface
05-01-2005, 08:54 AM
See the edit.

it is the Flex Point that is more important. Flex point will affect the ball flight. The lower the flex point, the higher the trajectory. Flex point however has very little effect on the trajectory of the ball as compared to the loft of the club.

Torque is another subject that we should take note. Torque is the twisting movement of the shaft during the golf swing. Torque is measured in degrees. The more torque a shaft has, the softer it will feel. A shaft with a 3 degree torque will feel much stiffer that one that has 6 degree torque. Torque, to a certain extend, has effect on the shot dispersion. More of the effect would have been contributed by the swing itself. Like flex, it loads and unloads during the swing. If the swing were constant, the loading and unloading would then be constant. Every shaft, graphite or steel, there is a certain amount of torque. Most steel shafts have up to about 3 degrees of torque. Most of the modern shaft in the market has less than 8 degrees of torque. Torque however has slight effect on ball trajectory, the lesser the torque, the lower the trajectory.

Flex, is the most important factor in the shaft. It affects distance and direction. Getting the correct flex in your golf equipment is of the utmost importance. Different shaft manufacturers have differences in their specifications of flex. One manufacturer’s Amateur Flex might be another’s Regular Flex. Generally, the flex are measured as (L) for light flex, (A) for amateur flex, (R) for regular flex, (S) for stiff flex and (XS) for extra stiff. There are 2 methods of measuring flex. The more traditional Shaft Deflection Board and the modern Frequency Analyzer. Both are effective in the measurement of flex

Fujikura recommends an X-Stiff for your swing speed.

JTrout
05-01-2005, 11:12 AM
ceyoung,
if you like the feel of the 2.5 torque shaft you've been using (it hasn't felt too stiff, the shots haven't felt "thin"), then I would recommend keeping a similar torque in your next shaft.
I've heard nothing but praise for the Aldila shafts.
I would lean toward the heavier shaft, however, with your swing speed.
I'm assuming standard length.

ceyoung
05-01-2005, 11:21 AM
standard length. I hit a titleist with a speeder shaft in it ~75 grams compared to the Aldila with the 65 gram shaft. with the heavier shaft i was losing about 5 mph. other than the lower torque, what are the benefits of the heavier shaft?

JTrout
05-01-2005, 11:38 AM
Proper torque is a big deal. This doesn't mean that lower is always better. Going from 2.5 to 3.5 is a bigger change (to me) than going from S to X (or visa/versa).

The extra weight adds to the feel of the club. The shaft will play a little stiffer.

5mph seems like alot for 10g.
What was your sample size?
Was it a blind test, or did you know what you were swinging?

If you are sold on lighter,...
Maybe consider the Grafalloy Blue shaft.

Grafalloy Blue- 63g 2.8* torque
Aldila NV 65- 67g 3.5* torque
Aldila NV 75- 78g 2.8* torque

ceyoung
05-01-2005, 11:47 AM
I was at golfsmith in their simulator for about 1.5 hours yesterday playing with clubs. I hit the 905s and 905t with the grafalloy, speeder, and NV shafts. so that is how i have my comparison to the heavier shaft. I hit the G2 on the range with the grafalloy and the NV. The grafalloy launched the ball too high for my liking. I'm thinking that the NV 75 in a stiff flex would probably be the best fit.

ceyoung
05-01-2005, 11:49 AM
does the lower torque effect distance at all?

JTrout
05-01-2005, 11:56 AM
I certainly don't have all the answers (but plenty of opinions /images/graemlins/grin.gif)

1* of torque would have a minimal effect on distance.
More of an effect on accuracy.
Most of an effect on feel.
It has been my experience that finding a club that not only fits you well, but 'feels' great brings out the best in a player (and adds 5mph to clubhead speed!)

ceyoung
05-01-2005, 12:07 PM
thanks for the help. oddly enough OOT is a better place to come for golf equipment questions that the golf forums I've found. The problem is that whatever i decide on, its going to have to be custom ordered, as no one around here carries the x-stiff NV65, the 757, or the NV75. so im going to have to buy it without hitting it most likely. I liked the NV65 stiff alot, but every couple shots id load up the shaft and hit a duck hook. i liked golf better when i bought my 975D and shaft selection was easier.

JTrout
05-01-2005, 12:12 PM
Best of luck!
The endless search is part of golf's charm.

ghostface
05-01-2005, 12:27 PM
Have you not hit a 757?

If so, find one and hit it. I used to have the same loading problems, but, god, that shaft is sweet.

ceyoung
05-01-2005, 12:33 PM
ive hit the 757 and liked it a lot. the only way to get it in the ping g2 is to custom order it. im going to find out tomorrow how much it will cost to have it put in by the factory. one rep told me it would be 300 bucks more, so we'll see.

ghostface
05-01-2005, 12:34 PM
Yeah its $300 for sure.

ceyoung
05-01-2005, 12:41 PM
any idea why? you can get an r7 with a factory 757 and it only costs $100 more.

purnell
05-01-2005, 12:41 PM
Torque means "resistance to rotational force", in this case, but the "units" are not uniform from maker to maker.

ghostface
05-01-2005, 12:42 PM
I don't know. I just know the shaft costs $300. That's why I was excited to get it in a 975J for $230.

ceyoung
05-01-2005, 01:03 PM
i just found the price for a custom G2 with NV75X is only 20 bucks more, maybe the 757 won't be too ridiculous.

ceyoung
05-01-2005, 01:09 PM
what stiffness is your 757 shaft?

ghostface
05-01-2005, 02:11 PM
Stiff... /images/graemlins/mad.gif

I'm gonna need an XS shaft soon cause I'm workin out in the gym daily. So like a year, lol.

eric5148
05-01-2005, 08:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
thanks for the help. oddly enough OOT is a better place to come for golf equipment questions that the golf forums I've found.

[/ QUOTE ]

And what forums were those? I know of 3 different golf equipment forums that are very good.

diddle
05-01-2005, 08:16 PM
I use a Speeder 757 X in my driver. My swing speed is 125-130.

I have an NV 85 X in my 3wood. It feels softer than my driver.

Both are excellent. I don't know that the Speeder is worth $150 extra. I would recommend the NV75 Stiff for you. Maybe Xstiff if you're hitting tons of hooks. Beware the Xstiff tho, some are really hard to hit. If it's too stiff you'll just hit nasty slices.

FWIW I used a NV65 S when my driver was broken and had no probs.

eric5148
05-01-2005, 08:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Torque means "resistance to rotational force", in this case, but the "units" are not uniform from maker to maker.

[/ QUOTE ]

This needs to be repeated. One company's 2.5 may be another company's 3.5. Same thing with flex, one company's S may be another's X.

Clubmakers and fitters these days are trying to get away from flex and flex (aka "kick") points. The more precise way to measure a shaft is with zone profiling.

Zone profiling basically means that you put the shaft on a frequency machine and measure it in several different spots along the shaft. The reason why it's better to do this is because normal frequency measurements are from the butt of the shaft only. Two shafts with identical butt frequencies may have very different center and tip frequencies, which would change the playing characteristics of the two shafts significantly.

The only way to really find the right shaft is to hit them all and see which gives you the best feel, distance and control for your swing. You'll probably find that the shafts you like all have similar zone profiles.

eric5148
05-01-2005, 08:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My swing speed is 125-130.

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Sonofabitch, you ever thought about professional long driving?

diddle
05-01-2005, 08:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sonofabitch, you ever thought about professional long driving?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I've considered it. Right now, if I really go at it I can carry it around 310-315. I haven't tried using one of the extra long clubs yet.

Those guys can carry it around 350-360+

gvibes
05-01-2005, 09:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sonofabitch, you ever thought about professional long driving?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I've considered it. Right now, if I really go at it I can carry it around 310-315. I haven't tried using one of the extra long clubs yet.

Those guys can carry it around 350-360+

[/ QUOTE ]

The best guys get close to hitting 150 mph with the long shafts.

www.bombsquadgolf.com (http://www.bombsquadgolf.com) is the shiznit for equipment nuts.

I would take a peek at the new Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana. It's supposed to be quite the new rage.

ceyoung
05-02-2005, 04:46 PM
as if anyone cares...but

i found a Ping G2 with an NV-75S shaft thats cut down to 44.5" seemed like it should be perfect for $265 shipped. It will be here on friday, im stoked.

Also, if you want to get a different shaft from Ping its a $18 upcharge for the NV-75, $175 for the Speeder 757