PDA

View Full Version : am i obligated to restock mom's BF's beer?

maldini
04-26-2005, 06:20 PM
so, my mother has a serious boyfriend. fiance would be a more appropriate term.

i go visit, i drink his beer. i often drink alot.

he makes blah money it seems and my mother does extremely well.

am i obligated by social convention to resupply what i've drank? what if i often drink them all? i would do this for a friend but dont see the necessity here.

i happen to believe that since he's porking my mother not to mention slicing off a piece of my family's assets for himself once they're married, he can just live with always being out of beer after i leave.

any thoughts?

Beerfund
04-26-2005, 06:23 PM
It's only ok if you call him Daddy.

diddle
04-26-2005, 06:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i happen to believe that since he's porking my mother not to mention slicing off a piece of my family's assets for himself once they're married, he can just live with always being out of beer after i leave.

[/ QUOTE ]

well said.

Non_Comformist
04-26-2005, 06:24 PM
Not obligated but it would be the stand up guy thing to do.

I don't know what it is like to have my nondad banging my mother, but I would think having a friendly relationship would be good for everyone involved. Although maybe this is something that is easy for guys like me to say but not to do when faced with it.

maldini
04-26-2005, 06:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It's only ok if you call him Daddy.

[/ QUOTE ]

maybe if he bought a nice microbrew or guiness or something. i dont think miller lite is gonna get us there.

JaBlue
04-26-2005, 06:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Not obligated but it would be the stand up guy thing to do.

I don't know what it is like to have my nondad banging my mother, but I would think having a friendly relationship would be good for everyone involved. Although maybe this is something that is easy for guys like me to say but not to do when faced with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

the point is you generally try not to think about them porking your mom

Boris
04-26-2005, 06:35 PM
Anyone who comes to my house is welcome to consume any and all food and drink I have on hand. I think this is pretty standard. I would not consider it rude at all if someone drank all the beer in my fridge, much less a soon to be relative.

Zoltri
04-26-2005, 06:39 PM
I have a stepson.
If that little [censored] drank my beer I'd kick his ass.

Then I would pork his mother. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

bernie
04-26-2005, 06:41 PM
Would you mind if he did that to you?

[ QUOTE ]
he makes blah money it seems and my mother does extremely well

[/ QUOTE ]

This isn't even a factor.

Just guessing you're not really high on this guy being with your mom.

b

Bluffoon
04-26-2005, 06:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]

am i obligated by social convention to resupply what i've drank? what if i often drink them all? i would do this for a friend but dont see the necessity here.

any thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

If I am invited to somebody's house I usually don't show up empty handed. You don't have to replace his beer but it would be nice to bring something, some snacks or a bottle of wine or a six pack, something that you know the host likes to show your appreciation as a guest in their home.

RunDownHouse
04-26-2005, 06:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i would do this for a friend but dont see the necessity here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess its always easier to steal from a stranger (or acquaintance, in this case) than a friend.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess theft is ok as long as the victims aren't poor.

[ QUOTE ]
i happen to believe that since he's porking my mother not to mention slicing off a piece of my family's assets for himself once they're married, he can just live with always being out of beer after i leave

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess this sort of passive-aggressive revenge is ok if you don't want to face directly your own issues regarding a man other than your father penetrating your mother.

OK, so that's a bit hyperbolic, but seriously, I don't get why you'd do this unless you're just a prick, plain and simple. The OP made no mention of the mother-fucker saying, "Go ahead and have some beer, don't worry about it," so I think taking some uninvited is bad enough. Throw in this strange, petty revenge thing you've got going on, and you just seem like a bad person.

Asufiji2004
04-26-2005, 06:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

any thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

If I am invited to somebody's house I usually don't show up empty handed. You don't have to replace his beer but it would be nice to bring something, some snacks or a bottle of wine or a six pack, something that you know the host likes to show your appreciation as a guest in their home.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude he's going to his mom's house. I don't need to bring a cake when I visit my mom. I don't think anyone should feel the need to. Besides your mom makes all the dough and probably does the grocery shopping so [censored] the fiance. Drink up Lad.

housenuts
04-26-2005, 07:04 PM
if you like him, restock...if dislike him, don't restock.

maldini
04-26-2005, 07:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess its always easier to steal from a stranger (or acquaintance, in this case) than a friend.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
i happen to believe that since he's porking my mother not to mention slicing off a piece of my family's assets for himself once they're married, he can just live with always being out of beer after i leave

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess this sort of passive-aggressive revenge is ok if you don't want to face directly your own issues regarding a man other than your father penetrating your mother.

OK, so that's a bit hyperbolic, but seriously, I don't get why you'd do this unless you're just a prick, plain and simple. The OP made no mention of the mother-fucker saying, "Go ahead and have some beer, don't worry about it," so I think taking some uninvited is bad enough. Throw in this strange, petty revenge thing you've got going on, and you just seem like a bad person.

[/ QUOTE ]

yours is a strangly negative post. theft? passive aggressive revenge? seems a bit strong. i dont think im drinking his beer out of revenge. i'm treating my mothers house (where i have previously lived) as my home. my question is simply what people think of not restocking or bringing my own since the beers are clearly bought by him.

also, he never gave me even a friendly heads up that he was going to ask my mother to marry him. granted i live 2.5 hours away so its not like i see them everyday, but i think this is a classless move. i dont think its a huge faux pas, but just a littler classless. it probably should be considered a worse misstep then it is in this day and age, but that's for a different discussion. i feel it is appropriate to always discuss these things with the eldest male adult in the family.

the point being, if he has show a lack of consideration in the past, i feel less bad about taking the worse line of a borderline social situation.

do i really need to bring food/wine to my family's house when i visit? that seems a little formal to me.

bernie
04-26-2005, 07:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
also, he never gave me even a friendly heads up that he was going to ask my mother to marry him. granted i live 2.5 hours away so its not like i see them everyday, but i think this is a classless move. i dont think its a huge faux pas, but just a littler classless. it probably should be considered a worse misstep then it is in this day and age, but that's for a different discussion. i feel it is appropriate to always discuss these things with the eldest male adult in the family.

the point being, if he has show a lack of consideration in the past, i feel less bad about taking the worse line of a borderline social situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
passive aggressive revenge? seems a bit strong. i dont think im drinking his beer out of revenge.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, not at all.

[ QUOTE ]
do i really need to bring food/wine to my family's house when i visit? that seems a little formal to me. i'm treating my mothers house (where i have previously lived) as my home.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not just your mothers house.

b

RunDownHouse
04-26-2005, 07:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
passive aggressive revenge?

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i happen to believe that since he's porking my mother not to mention slicing off a piece of my family's assets for himself once they're married...

[and]

also, he never gave me even a friendly heads up that he was going to ask my mother to marry him

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to mention another poster mentioned the same thing wrt you not being comfortable with a man that's not your father sliding his pulsing man-tool into your mother's eagerly-waiting, steamy tunnel of love. If people can pick up on that kind of thing after a couple of posts on an internet message board, you probably don't need a degree to figure you should - at the very least - honestly assess your situation.

Also, you don't seem to notice a very basic contradiction you're making. You're adamant about him not being family, but you feel entitled to drink his beer because you're "treating my mothers house (where i have previously lived) as my home." You're upset that he hasn't formally asked you for your mother's hand in marriage, or whatever, so the beer is not yours or your family's. Its his, but you feel entitled to take it anyways.

Anyways, I said my first post was hyperbolic. Don't take it personally or anything.

Oh, and
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
is a pretty clear example of passive-aggressive revenge.

RunDownHouse
04-26-2005, 07:22 PM
Oh, and for this last part:
[ QUOTE ]
do i really need to bring food/wine to my family's house when i visit? that seems a little formal to me.

[/ QUOTE ]
Sometimes I bring my parents a nice bottle of wine or something, but not out of any sense of obligation. Again, the point is that (to you, at least) this man is NOT family, and so it should be expected that you bring something if you're not planning on replacing what you take. I think that's pretty much accepted social etiquette.

diddle
04-26-2005, 07:29 PM
seriously, just drink the goddamn beer.

these clowns telling you to bring gifts dont have a clue

Cry Me A River
04-26-2005, 07:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]

i'm treating my mothers house (where i have previously lived) as my home.

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't live there any more. That makes you a guest.

When you're 54, you still going to be treating your mom's house like your own?

I don't think there's really enough information to decide if you're being a complete boor or not. If you're coming to visit for a week-end and over the course of the week-end you drink a few beers along with whatever other consumables are normal then no, I don't think you're being a jerk. OTOH, if you're going over for a couple hours one afternoon, while the fiance is away, and chugging a 24 then yeah, you're a tool...

Presumably you're somewhere in between, but generally if you ever have to ask yourself, "Am I being a jerk?", the answer is almost always "Yes".

[ QUOTE ]

also, he never gave me even a friendly heads up that he was going to ask my mother to marry him. granted i live 2.5 hours away so its not like i see them everyday, but i think this is a classless move. i dont think its a huge faux pas, but just a littler classless. it probably should be considered a worse misstep then it is in this day and age

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? Are you her father?

Or do you just think you own her?

Is there a list of people he's supposed to notify? Parents? Children? Siblings? Cousins? Romates? Landlords? Employers? What?

There are at least two totally legit reasons he wouldn't give you a head's up here:

A) You two aren't on good terms (the existance of this thread being a clue...)

B) He figures you for a blabermouth and he was looking to surprise your mom.

maldini
04-26-2005, 08:07 PM
i guess im no pysc major. i dont see whats passive aggressive about treating people differently based on how they treat you. maybe that's the definition? i think its the revenge part of your equation that i take issue with. i dont see this as revenge. i dont think consuming $5 worth of beverages every now and then getting even with someone.

im not adamante about anything here. clearly whether he's family or not, people on this board have differing opinions about this. clearly if he is my father there is not much to discuss. and incidenlty, i dont dislike the guy at all. im just posting something about a social situation. i find it interesting how people react to social situations. i thought this was a light and sort of interesting situation others may have experienced kinda along the sienfeld vain. surely if i've got a serious problem, im not bringing it to OOT for resolution.

i cant believe that noone here thinks its inappropriate for a man to ask a woman to marry him and not first consult with the eldest male in the family. it doesnt matter if that person is the son or an uncle, brother or cousin. maybe its an italian family thing, but i think it has more to do with who has class and who doesnt.

for the record, anyone who asks a woman to marry them and doesnt consult with the father first is a chump. i can see disagreements about son, uncle type situations but unless the father is estranged, this is absolutely mandatory.

i guess im old school passive aggressive style.

Bluffoon
04-26-2005, 09:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

any thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude he's going to his mom's house. I don't need to bring a cake when I visit my mom. I don't think anyone should feel the need to. Besides your mom makes all the dough and probably does the grocery shopping so [censored] the fiance. Drink up Lad.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its not clear that he is going to his mom's house but when I go visit my mom i usually bring something. She likes candy.

Bluffoon
04-26-2005, 09:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yours is a strangly negative post. theft? passive aggressive revenge? seems a bit strong. i dont think im drinking his beer out of revenge. i'm treating my mothers house (where i have previously lived) as my home. my question is simply what people think of not restocking or bringing my own since the beers are clearly bought by him.

[/ QUOTE ]

You may not realize it but you have a lot of issues you need to resolve with the whole situation. And no you don't have to bring anything, but it would be nice. They dont have to offer you anything when you go either but I am sure they do. Or maybe they dont and you just take it like you are entitled to it.

RunDownHouse
04-26-2005, 09:29 PM
I don't have a psych degree either. But that was the point, right?

Maybe your tone just came off as something completely different than what you intended, but I think if you read your posts you'll see how people could get the impression that you really wanted to stick it to this guy for not getting your blessing on the relationship.

I agree with you in that I'll discuss things with my girlfriend's father when we're ready to marry. It just seems right. But if she had a grown son, and I myself was 40 or 50, I would feel in no way obligated to get her son's permission.

Whether its "Italian" or whatever, I don't know, but I think your insistence that your mother is yours to give away, with all that implies - especially since you seem traditional about it - is kind of creepy.

Bluffoon
04-26-2005, 09:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i guess im no pysc major. i dont see whats passive aggressive about treating people differently based on how they treat you. maybe that's the definition? i think its the revenge part of your equation that i take issue with. i dont see this as revenge. i dont think consuming $5 worth of beverages every now and then getting even with someone.

im not adamante about anything here. clearly whether he's family or not, people on this board have differing opinions about this. clearly if he is my father there is not much to discuss. and incidenlty, i dont dislike the guy at all. im just posting something about a social situation. i find it interesting how people react to social situations. i thought this was a light and sort of interesting situation others may have experienced kinda along the sienfeld vain. surely if i've got a serious problem, im not bringing it to OOT for resolution.

i cant believe that noone here thinks its inappropriate for a man to ask a woman to marry him and not first consult with the eldest male in the family. it doesnt matter if that person is the son or an uncle, brother or cousin. maybe its an italian family thing, but i think it has more to do with who has class and who doesnt.

for the record, anyone who asks a woman to marry them and doesnt consult with the father first is a chump. i can see disagreements about son, uncle type situations but unless the father is estranged, this is absolutely mandatory.

i guess im old school passive aggressive style.

[/ QUOTE ]

I never asked anyone for permission to marry and I never would. I am a grown man and I don't need and I am not asking anyone permission for anything I choose to do. And I am Italian.

Blarg
04-26-2005, 09:40 PM
You're mixing up questions of right and wrong with things they have nothing to do with.

Right and wrong = you replace what you take. Anything else is simply being dishonest and is clearly wrong.

Relationship stuff doesn't enter into it and couldn't be less relevant.

I would suggest that not doing the right thing, then coming up with excuses for it, illustrates that you know what you're doing is the wrong thing but seek to justify doing th wrong thing anyway. That could be because you are a beer guzzling slob or an outright booze degenerate, but it's probably not.

It looks to me like you have problems with the guy being with your mom and are basically being sort of passive-aggressive with him. Maybe you're trying to goad him into an argument over it so you can make him look petty in front of your mom, or just because you want to pick a fight with him? So maybe it's more aggressive than passive-aggressive.

At any rate, you're purposely creating friction, and doing it in a relationship that's one of the most central ones in your mom's life. Face it, once you move out, it will BE the most central one in your mom's life, as you can't live at home, or at least hang around it all the time, forever.

I'm not saying it's not a normal feeling to want to throw a wrench into your mom's relationship with any guy, no matter how cool he is, but it's probably not productive. And it may be hurtful. It's not the guy's fault he loves your mom, after all. It's not the guy's fault your mom may have X amount of cash or whatever, either. So why punish him for either one?

Worse yet, you're punishing your mom if you're looking for ways to act out and subtly or not so subtly inject hostility into your relationship with the guy. Being protective of your mom and worrying about here are not the same as finding ways to go against the guy or get under his skin. You don't deserve a free ride on the guy's back just because you're your mom's kid.

Maybe it's time you grew up a little and behaved like an adult to the guy instead of a petulant, maybe possessive kid. Do it for your mom. Forget yourself. She won't. But she'll be so much happier if you're on her side instead of against his side. Unless he's really a crummy guy, you'll probably have to choose one or the other of those two outlooks. So decide if you want to be against him, or for her.

By the way, f_ck the beer.

The once and future king
04-26-2005, 09:44 PM
Obviously there are rules governing the inter relations between men and beer.

The convention held up by true men in this circumstance is that you are only obligated to re-stock his beer if he is porking your mom up the ass. If not he is not a real man and you are in fact obligated to drink as much as his beer as possible in the hope that this will motivate him to grow a pair and start pile driving your mom analy.

Blarg
04-26-2005, 09:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
seriously, just drink the goddamn beer.

these clowns telling you to bring gifts dont have a clue

[/ QUOTE ]

They're adults, rather than children.

Blarg
04-26-2005, 09:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
There are at least two totally legit reasons he wouldn't give you a head's up here:

A) You two aren't on good terms (the existance of this thread being a clue...)

B) He figures you for a blabermouth and he was looking to surprise your mom.

[/ QUOTE ]

Also, he's a kid. Whoever heard of an adult asking a kid for permission to marry someone? Unless the kid is maybe the King of Siam or something.

Otherwise, it's the other way around, and a little antiquated even that way. Full grown adults don't ask kids permission to marry -- even kids old enough to run over to the house and guzzle beer.

bernie
04-26-2005, 11:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Or maybe they dont and you just take it like you are entitled to it

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't this implied not only in the original post, but also in his rebuttles to responses?

b

Shajen
04-27-2005, 08:54 AM
Do you like the guy?

If so, bring over a 12er from time to time. If you don't, continue to do what you are doing, I guess.

Seems pretty simple. I dunno about the rest of this stuff these guys are talking about.

jesusarenque
04-27-2005, 09:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]

any thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you drinking beer with him? If so, then no, you do not have to restock. If you are drinking his beer while he is not there then you do.

chesspain
04-27-2005, 09:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i cant believe that noone here thinks its inappropriate for a man to ask a woman to marry him and not first consult with the eldest male in the family.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure it never dawned on him to consult with a spoiled, entitled, alcoholic puke of a potential stepson.

[ QUOTE ]
i think it has more to do with who has class and who doesn't.

[/ QUOTE ]

This has been painfully obvious to all who've read your post.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You need to make restitution for the DVD of Moonstruck you swiped from the library.

LALDAAS
04-27-2005, 09:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]

any thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope! I am in the same boat with my Ma Dukes, I have also made it very clear to my moms BF

#1 in my mind he doesn't exist

#2 If he even looks at me cross eyed we are going to have a problem

jesusarenque
04-27-2005, 09:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i cant believe that noone here thinks its inappropriate for a man to ask a woman to marry him and not first consult with the eldest male in the family.

[/ QUOTE ]

Should he ask for a dowry, too?

dabluebery
04-27-2005, 10:12 AM
How old are you?

I don't get this entire thread. It's turned into you calling this guy out for being a jerk, combined with you denying the ulterior motives you might have for drinking his beer without replinishment.

Normally, I wouldn't believe that anyone could get any sort of satisfaction out of something trivial like this, but I don't see any other explanation for what you're doing.

Shouldn't you have a better awareness of where you stand in your family so you could answer a mundane question like this on your own? If you don't, why don't you just ask your mom? She'd certainly have a better idea about what you should do than a bunch of morons like me on the Internet who are gonna pass judgement on you without really helping. But maybe that's what you wanted. Anyway, good luck.

Rob

beerbandit
04-27-2005, 10:16 AM
if you pound all the beer when you go over there and also have the intent to do this ---

if im going somewhere and im going to drink i would never show up empty handed in the first place, but if you just happen be visiting and are offered to have a few here and there i see no need to replace it

i would show up every once in a while then and bring a case or dozen of the beer of choice

cheers