PDA

View Full Version : World War I & II Question

Dynasty
04-26-2005, 12:43 AM
When were World War I and World War II first called by those names?

I'm sure in 1914, nobody was referring to WWI by that name. Who thought it would last so long and be so impactful? In 1918, who thought there would be a sequel requiring it to be called WWI?

If you can provide any links, it would be appreciated.

[censored]
04-26-2005, 12:48 AM
I may be wrong and I am trying to look it up now but I thought the world wars were referred to as such while in progress.

[censored]
04-26-2005, 12:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
World War #

One question that pops up on this site's discussion forum from time to time is when did World War I get its number? When did people start to refer to that war as the first (as opposed to only)?

The term world war dates to 1909, but obviously in a generic sense and not prophetically. The use of world war to refer to the 1914-18 war began as early as 1914. The name First World War, specifically referring to the 1914-18 war, is from from 1931. Again, this is not prophecy, only the sad realization that it was certainly not the "war to end all wars."

Similarly, the first use of World War 2 is from 1919, again in reference to a hypothetical future war. The 1939-45 war was first referred to as World War II in September 1939.

The term Great War dates to 1887 in reference to the Napoleonic Wars. Use in reference to the 1914-18 war is from 1914.
(Source: Oxford English Dictionary)

[/ QUOTE ]

from Here (http://www.wordorigins.org/wordorw.htm)

andyfox
04-26-2005, 12:59 AM
I had always thought WWI was referred to, at the time it was being fought, at The Great War. And the reference to is as WWI came retroactively when WWII broke out.

natedogg
04-26-2005, 02:38 AM
An excellent read:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0195133323/qid=1114497468/sr=2-1/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_1/103-8658717-6022256

natedogg

Cyrus
04-26-2005, 02:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm sure in 1914, nobody was referring to WWI by that name.

[/ QUOTE ]
It was been called The Great War, because it was bigger and more bloody than any other war in history. A little more than twenty years after it ended, the sequel was released, with great anticipation.

[ QUOTE ]
In 1918, who thought there would be a sequel requiring it to be called WWI?

[/ QUOTE ]
Albert Einstein was once asked what weapons he thought that people would use if another world war would break out. He answered that he did not know about the weapons of WW III but he sure knew for sure the weapons that would be used in World War IV:
wooden sticks.

Kurn, son of Mogh
04-26-2005, 11:19 AM
Albert Einstein was once asked what weapons he thought that people would use if another world war would break out. He answered that he did not know about the weapons of WW III but he sure knew for sure the weapons that would be used in World War IV:

yadda yadda

Einstein should have stuck to science. His assumptions: a) that WWIII would be an all-out nuclear exchange, and b) given that assumption, that all ability to produce more advanced weapons than sticks *and* the knowledge of how to make such weapons would be lost, are faulty logic, to say the least.

chabibi
04-26-2005, 11:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]

wooden sticks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cyrus,
you just referenced a jewish zionist, i think you need to take a shower now

Cyrus
04-27-2005, 02:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Einstein should have stuck to science.

[/ QUOTE ]You really think that your comments on politics are more intellignet, I'm sure.

[ QUOTE ]
His assumptions: a) that WWIII would be an all-out nuclear exchange ...

[/ QUOTE ]

Which is correct.

[ QUOTE ]
...and b) given that assumption, that all ability to produce more advanced weapons than sticks *and* the knowledge of how to make such weapons would be lost, are faulty logic, to say the least.

[/ QUOTE ] He didn't say that! You have misunderstood Einstein. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

And in case you feel part of a large crowd, realize that what he said was actually pretty simple. Let me explain Einstein, Einstein! /images/graemlins/grin.gif World War Three would be so devastating to humanity and the planet that the surviving humans would be reduced to a state of primitive beings, at best, able to fight only with sticks! And since the remaining humans would be inevitably very few in number, the next war between those humans would be literally a world war.

I think you need to turn the cone of your spacecraft around a bit.

Zeno
04-27-2005, 03:17 AM
Even humans reduced to 'primitive status' would/could make simple tools and engage in war with more than just 'sticks'. The problem is taking what Einstein said in too literal a fashion and not allowing for a poetic license - The general intent of his point is obvious.

These types of foggy notions creep into many individuals’ interpretations of Einstein’s (and/or other famous persons) comments on a variety of subjects.

-Zeno

Cyrus
04-27-2005, 03:20 AM
Remember that you brought this up, not me... /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
You just referenced a Jewish Zionist, I think you need to take a shower now.

[/ QUOTE ]
You see the world in black and white, Chabibi. Einstein was not a Zionist like Zabotinsky. I shall disabuse you of some notions you hold dear.

[ QUOTE ]
link (http://globalwebpost.com/farooqm/study_res/einstein/pais.html)
Kurt Blumenfeld, from 1910 to 1914 secretary general of the Executive of World Zionist Organizations, whom Ben Gurion called "the greatest moral revolutionary in the Zionist movement", has written of his discussions with Einstein in 1919.
<font color="white"> . </font>
It was Blumenfeld who was able to convince Einstein that he ought to join Weizmann on a visit to the United States, in order to raise funds for the planned Hebrew University.
Blumenfeld understood the man he was dealing with.
After having convinced Einstein, he wrote to Weizmann :
"As you know, <font color="blue"> Einstein is no Zionist</font>, and I beg you not to make any attempt to prevail on him to join our organization. ... I heard ... that you expect Einstein to give speeches. Please be quite careful with that."

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
A Myth Exposed (http://www.dissidentvoice.org/Articles4/Petersen_Einstein.htm)
Albert Einstein :
" <font color="blue"> My awareness of the essential nature of Judaism resists the idea of a Jewish state</font> with borders, an army, and a measure of temporal power, no matter how modest. I am afraid of the inner damage Judaism will sustain-- especially from the development of a narrow nationalism within our own ranks, against which we have already had to fight strongly, even without a Jewish state."

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Letter to the N.Y.Times (http://www.ifamericansknew.org/history/einstein.html)
Albert Einstein :
"<font color="blue"> Menachem Begin</font> and his party [carry] the unmistakable stamp of a Fascist party for whom terrorism and misrepresentation are means, and a "Leader State" is the goal.
The IZL and Stern groups inaugurated a reign of terror in the Jewish community. Teachers were beaten up for speaking against them, adults were shot for not letting their children join them. By gangster methods, beatings, window-smashing, and wide-spread robberies, the terrorists intimidated the population and exacted a heavy tribute.
It is imperative that the truth about Mr. Begin and his movement be made known in this country [the United States]."

[/ QUOTE ]

Kurn, son of Mogh
04-27-2005, 09:06 AM
So you don't see the possibility of a global war with primarily conventional weapons and only a limited nuclear exchange?

And to agree with Zeno, I understand that Einstein was waxing poetic. His point is also valid that in the event of a WWIII as he invisioned a) the remaining humans would still know how to forge steel, and b) by the time a "WWIV" was possible, those humans would probably posess at least swords and spears, probably firearms.

I think you need to turn the cone of your spacecraft around a bit.

In addition to being a leftist tool, your lame attempts to insult me by obtusely lampooning my screen name indicate a limited intellect.

Cyrus
04-28-2005, 03:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
So you don't see the possibility of a global war with primarily conventional weapons and only a limited nuclear exchange?

[/ QUOTE ]
Today, maybe yes, it's possible.

At the time of Einstein's saying that, and until around the 1990s, no. Emphatically no.

[ QUOTE ]
Your lame attempts to insult me by obtusely lampooning my screen name indicate a limited intellect.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're not really a Klingon then? How disappointing.