PDA

View Full Version : Seriously dude, get off my fish

Finwe
04-25-2005, 09:18 AM
So I'm 4 tabling the $3/6 and $2/4 last night on Party and had the joy of sitting with some major fish with much higher than average buy-ins on 3 different occasions. Each time, some guy starts berating my fish! They taunted and cursed his poker abilities and I felt the need to get involved.

I tried reasoning with some of them i.e. "If he's bad, why on earth would you want him to leave" and defending the victim "He is waay better than you!" Sadly, each time, the fish left and the games went sour.

Now, I believe most denizens of these boards wouldn't engage in such activity but I've definitely noticed alot more of it recently. So, what can we do? I think that getting involved (intelligently and in a friendly way) can stop these fish attacks in their tracks in many circumstances. What lines do you guys use in cases like these? Should I start a National Save Our Fish Foundation? All thoughts welcome.

Fin

toss
04-25-2005, 09:26 AM
Spam the chatbox with "Should I call the WAAAAAAAAAAAAHMBULANCE for you?" so that way the fish can't read the insults.

teddyFBI
04-25-2005, 09:33 AM
best way is to personally insult the berator -- get him to turn on you instead of the fish -- i usually just use some variation of "hey XYZ, STFU, no one asked your monkey ass -- ppl come here to gamble and have fun, not take lessons from a jackass novice like yourself who should have been aborted by his crack-addicted mother"

Gets the fish on your side and less willing to up and leave, thinking he has friends fighting for him.

TStoneMBD
04-25-2005, 09:49 AM
i yelled at a player for the first time today, because i just hit a 150BB downswing, which of course is no excuse.

anyway, i have pocket 77s and the flop comes QQ7. i bet, he raises, i reraise he caps. turn comes an 8. i bet, he raises, i reraise he caps. river comes a king, i bet he raises i reraise he caps and shows KQ.

he then says "bluffing your way out of it wont do any good"

then i said "i had pocket 7s you dumbass."

i guess thats not the worst thing i could have said.

pokerrookie
04-25-2005, 09:53 AM
Is this even a bad beat? Is that player a fish? Sure, he may not have needed to cap each street, but come on, there is no anyone on these boards that is folding trip queens on that hand. So you were never going to win this one. Sucks that he caught his card, but there is no way he deserves to be yelled at.

Keith Fellmy
04-25-2005, 10:11 AM
Even I have fallen victim to this very thing. Just seems like the fish keep hitting their impossible miracle cards. I was down only 50 bucks and did the re-buy deal. So I was back up to 85 dollars (so total I guess I was down 15 bucks). There was a maniac at the table, he kept betting big every hand, pre flop. When someone called him down he would show a crap starting hand that turned into gold on the turn or the river.

One hand I was involved in. I am in the BB with AA (sweet), ALL the players at the table limp in. I raise to 10 dollars (this is a NL50 table at Party). Maniac calls and one othr calls. Flop is A25 rainbow. I bet 10 he raises all in. WTF? What the hell does he have? I call (he had more than I did.) Other caller folds. Turn and River are rags and he turns over 34 suited. He called a ten dollar raise with that. I am sure I had the look of the TV pros after they have been "Gus'd." The guy called a ten dollar raise with 34 suited. Jesus. So I told him about it. He told me to look at his chip stack. So all I could do is write his name down and see when he is playing again.

The guy started at the table a few hands after I did. He bought in with 20 bucks. Last time I checked he had almost 400.

TStoneMBD
04-25-2005, 10:30 AM
well he certainly overplayed his hand, but thats not the point. i was simply responding to him, since he was the first to trash talk. i shouldnt have said anything though. if it wasnt for the downswing i wouldnt have even cared. in truth, it would be +ev if the guy actually thought i capped 3 streets on a stone cold bluff.

MaxPower
04-25-2005, 10:37 AM
The best thing to do is to just start asking dumb questions or making jokes. That usually shuts them up. Just change the topic.

Last time this happened I just typed in "Who here is drunk?" Then everybody starting joking around about being drunk and the guy stopped the berating.

You are never going to reason with these guys, you can only stop them temporarily.

The other thing to do is send an email to the poker site saying that the player is abusing others and asking for his chat to be turned off.

sublime
04-25-2005, 10:42 AM
report him, PLEASE.

mannika
04-25-2005, 11:07 AM
Once at a 6-max table I had the exact same problem where this guy was raggin on this one horrible player. So I sent a table invitation to the berator with a message essentially saying. "Hey buddy, please stop insulting xxxx. Yes, he is a horrible, horrible player, but by insulting his play you will only cause him to either leave the table or to improve his play. Please do us both a favour and do not insult him."

After that he stopped insulting him, and even managed to write a "nh" a few times.

Crispy86
04-25-2005, 11:21 AM
If you can report him, then that's what I'd do, but only if it is live. An e-mail complaint would probably be too slow, not to mention useless.

The other advice on taking him aside and explaining the stupidity of his attitude is the best if possible. Logic, in his favor, should do wonders.

Otherwise, I'd take the side of the weaker player, though I wouldn't stoop to insults. I'd just say there is nothing wrong with coming to play for fun, and that no one starts as a pro anyhow, etc. Finally, at worst, add that if his skill is really so superior, then he should know that it will prevail in the long run, and that whining on the short term plays is pointless.

StacysMom
04-25-2005, 12:00 PM
Explaining why he shouldn't do it in front of the fish only makes the fish think that the guy is right and u agree with him, yet are trying to keep the fish as an awful player. This is counter productive.

The best thing to do is start sh*t with the berater. As mentioned earlier, the fish will see you as a friend and stick around.

I was at a 15/30 table wtih a giant fish. He was running suck outs and got berated inf, after awhile he asks "Do you guys want me to leave?" 3 players chimed in with "YES!."

I put a stop to that, started calling all the those you replied yes names, told them to leave, a coulple "we're just here to gamble lines" and told the fish to ignore those a$$'s until they left.

syka16
04-25-2005, 12:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Once at a 6-max table I had the exact same problem where this guy was raggin on this one horrible player. So I sent a table invitation to the berator with a message essentially saying. "Hey buddy, please stop insulting xxxx. Yes, he is a horrible, horrible player, but by insulting his play you will only cause him to either leave the table or to improve his play. Please do us both a favour and do not insult him."

After that he stopped insulting him, and even managed to write a "nh" a few times.

[/ QUOTE ]

g1

PokerBob
04-25-2005, 12:10 PM
Usually people berate fish when the fish beat them. I try to deflect the attention to myself by saying, "How bad can he be, he kicked your ass?" Followed by, "Nice hand, so-and-so", which usually tilts the initial berater and gets their ire firected at me.

I used to get infuriated by the fishies and still do, but now I type Very Nice Hand while I scream, "You dumb motherfucker calling 2 cold with QTo. It is only a matter of time before I break your ass and take all of your money. I love you and your idiocy." And then he goes on my buddy list.

toss
04-25-2005, 12:14 PM
Do also have a box of kittens and everytime you get sucked out on you take one kitten and throw it against the wall full force /images/graemlins/smile.gif

EStreet20
04-25-2005, 12:22 PM
I also like the "He's good enough to beat you," line. After that a nice buttering up of the fish with a "NH" is good. At a live table, when a guy is pbviously the gambling type a "Wow, we've got a real gambler here. NIcE HAND!!!" usually works well, remember gambling types feed on the rush they get from gambling and pumping them up a little bit never hurts.
Good luck,
Matt

bholdr
04-25-2005, 12:33 PM
is your SN from the simarillion? NERD! (me, too, for catching that...) /images/graemlins/grin.gif

as for the fish police, i liked the responses that suggested saying something like 'who here is drunk?', etc- redirection is more effective than confrontation. do what you need to to keep them in the game.

TGoldman
04-25-2005, 01:34 PM
I've been experimenting with the "reverse-berate" approach. It's very situational, but it usually involves a TAG who raises/bets his draw aggressively. If he hits his draw, I like to make some comment like, "OMG, riverd. Guy was betting and raising with nothing!!1" Admittedly, it's probably not good for the table atmosphere as a whole, but it's fun to play the fool once in a while.

jb9
04-25-2005, 01:42 PM
Last time this happened at a table I was playing, I had been having a bad run (hadn't won a hand since sitting down), so I typed in:

I hope I win a hand soon
So xxxx can tell me what I'm doing wrong

He shut up, left the table, then came back and sat down on my left.

I expected him to start raising/re-raising me after that or some such silliness, but he had been fairly loose passive all along and didn't change -- just called me down a few times (I guess in an attempt to suck out on me?) and then left for good.

Crispy86
04-25-2005, 01:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Explaining why he shouldn't do it in front of the fish

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm afraid you didn't read what I said. I said "take him aside".

HopeydaFish
04-25-2005, 01:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Is this even a bad beat? Is that player a fish?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think what the OP thought made this guy a fish was the fact that he didn't recognize the fact that the OP was betting with the winning hand up until the river. The fact that the villain accused the OP of "bluffing" bears this out. Not being able to read the board is pretty fishy, IMHO.

C-Dog
04-25-2005, 02:21 PM
Do also have a box of kittens and everytime you get sucked out on you take one kitten and throw it against the wall full force

LOL, that is the funniest idea...\

C-Dog