PDA

View Full Version : Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

The Dude
04-20-2005, 09:51 PM
Should I read all of them before I see the movie, or just the first one? Any word on how good the movie is expected to be?

SomethingClever
04-20-2005, 09:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Should I read all of them before I see the movie, or just the first one? Any word on how good the movie is expected to be?

[/ QUOTE ]

The books are incredible. Whether you read them before or after the movie is not of importance. Just read them.

I am cautiously optimistic that the movie will be good.

But let me reiterate... the books are the [censored] nuts.

bwana devil
04-20-2005, 10:04 PM
it's way too early to really tell but the reviews are all favorable so far. if you dont know the site check out rottentomatoes.com (http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/hitchhikers_guide_to_the_galaxy/) it's a composite of all the reviews that a movie receives and they give the movie one rating based on them. very helpful to judge the quality based on that.

spamuell
04-20-2005, 10:05 PM
Yeah seriously the books are hilarious, read them. Whatever about the movie, it will probably suck.

The Dude
04-20-2005, 10:13 PM
Yeah, I just started Stranger in a Strange Land last night. As soon as I'm done with that, I'll get started on the Hitchhiker (non)trilogy.

wayabvpar
04-20-2005, 11:34 PM
SiaSL is a good book. For all you Hitchhiker fans- have you read the books recently, or is it just fond memories? I recently read the first one for the first time and was unimpressed. Mildly amusing, but not the nerd nirvana I had been led to expect lo these many years. And before you posit that I just don't understand/like British humor, Probably half of my fav all time shows are British sitcoms.

Jack of Arcades
04-20-2005, 11:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
SiaSL is a good book. For all you Hitchhiker fans- have you read the books recently, or is it just fond memories? I recently read the first one for the first time and was unimpressed. Mildly amusing, but not the nerd nirvana I had been led to expect lo these many years. And before you posit that I just don't understand/like British humor, Probably half of my fav all time shows are British sitcoms.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, read it recently, I really enjoy the type of humor and writing, as it's very similar to my writing style.

astroglide
04-21-2005, 12:44 AM
i don't see how it's ever advantageous to read the book before seeing the movie

jgorham
04-21-2005, 01:19 AM
You should read the first one. Then you will either be done with the series and not even really want to see the movie, or you will be coming up with excuses to read the other four as soon as possible.

Not everyone's humor, but most certainly mine, and my favorite movie is the Big Lebowski.

SomethingClever
04-21-2005, 01:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've read them as recently as last year, and I've read each one at least 5 times.

You gain a further appreciation by reading at least the first three... the first on its own doesn't have the same impact.

Alobar
04-21-2005, 01:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Any word on how bad this movie is going to suck?

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

Alobar
04-21-2005, 01:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i don't see how it's ever advantageous to read the book before seeing the movie

[/ QUOTE ]

So that when you read the books (which are ALWAYS better) they wont be ruined by the fact youve seen the movie.

Catch of the Day
04-21-2005, 01:24 AM
Dude,

If you [censored] read another book book before you read "Ender's Game" immediatly followed by "Ender's Shadow." I will be very upset and make you life very difficult.

Catch-

jakethebake
04-21-2005, 09:05 AM
Always read the books after you see the movie. The books will be great and ruin the movie for you otherwise. If you haven't read them you may still be able to enjoy the movie.

Spladle Master
04-21-2005, 12:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Dude,

If you [censored] read another book book before you read "Ender's Game" immediatly followed by "Ender's Shadow." I will be very upset and make you life very difficult.

Catch-

[/ QUOTE ]

Orson Scott Card is a Mormon.

Alobar
04-21-2005, 12:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Always read the books after you see the movie. The books will be great and ruin the movie for you otherwise. If you haven't read them you may still be able to enjoy the movie.

[/ QUOTE ]

youd rather get 2 hours of enjoyment from a movie, rather than a couple days worth of enjoyment from a book? Interesting....

jakethebake
04-21-2005, 12:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

youd rather get 2 hours of enjoyment from a movie, rather than a couple days worth of enjoyment from a book? Interesting....

[/ QUOTE ]

No. The movie will not ruin the book because the book will be so much better than the movie.

swolfe
04-21-2005, 12:29 PM
i hate to be the dissenting opinion, but i thought these books were way over-hyped.i think that i would have liked them if i had read them when i was 14, but after years of everyone saying how great they were i was pretty disappointed. the jokes and whatnot were too shallow and punny. like xanth...

ender's game/ender's shadow are definitely a MUST READ. the rest of the ender books can be safely ignored.

jackdaniels
04-21-2005, 12:33 PM
I too read the trilogy a while ago and have fond memories of the story - I am holding off on re-reading so that the movie contains at least some moments where those memories re-surface.

Kudos to the guy recommending "Enders Game" - easily one of the best sci-fi books ever (movie coming soon!).

swolfe
04-21-2005, 12:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Kudos to the guy recommending "Enders Game" - easily one of the best sci-fi books ever (movie coming soon since 1995!).

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

jackdaniels
04-21-2005, 02:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
movie coming soon since 1995

[/ QUOTE ]

Sad. But true.

Shakezula
04-25-2005, 10:27 PM
no book has ever made me laugh, but hitchhiker did, aloud. there is no way that the movie can explain and detail everything in the book. much will be missing.
the movie is expected to be beyond great. but whether it will live up to such standards is another question altogether. (that BBC attempt at movie-making was the best we had at the time, and i forgave its cheesy-ness, just because it was Hitchhiker. that said, the movie WILL rock, even if I have to lie to myself!)

TrishaT
04-25-2005, 10:52 PM
If it's a good book, the movie is always crap. All a movie can do is limit your imagination. If it's not a good book, save the time and see the movie. This is true for every book ever written and for every movie that followed a book. This is gospel.