PDA

View Full Version : What is my responsibility here?

[censored]
04-19-2005, 02:57 PM
A month ago I bought some tropical (live) fish on a site similar to ebay but for tropical fish. I got them last week completing the transaction.

Today when I woke up there was a package shipped to my address from the same guy. Apparently he meant to ship some fish to a dude named Dan but mistakenly used my address.

The cost of the fish was $45 and the shipping was $27. I don't like these type of fish (guppies) and would never buy them for my tanks.

The fish are still sitting in their unopened bags. If DHL were to return for the package they could be shipped. However, it is unlikely they would survive another 24 hours in the bags. If opened I do not have the capacity to repack them properly.

I sent the shipper an email notifying him of his mistake.

What is my responsibility here to the shipper and monetarily if I were to end up keeping them. If they are not picked back up by UPS by the end of the day and are facing death?

DBowling
04-19-2005, 03:13 PM
i dont think you have any responsibility here. i think if you get a response quick enough, and he wants to attempt a pick up, let him do it. if he doesnt get back to you soon enough, i think you can keep them if you want, as there is no sense in letting them die. if you dont want them, then you could just let them die.

Alobar
04-19-2005, 03:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i dont think you have any responsibility here. i think if you get a response quick enough, and he wants to attempt a pick up, let him do it. if he doesnt get back to you soon enough, i think you can keep them if you want, as there is no sense in letting them die. if you dont want them, then you could just let them die.

[/ QUOTE ]

pshreck
04-19-2005, 03:21 PM
Pull their feeding tubes.

jakethebake
04-19-2005, 03:23 PM
*Flush*

swede123
04-19-2005, 03:26 PM
There are two options as I see it:

1: If the fish are big enough, cook them and eat them
2: If they are teeny tiny, throw a big party and make your friends drink shots with a live guppie in them.

Swede

[censored]
04-19-2005, 03:28 PM
That is what I was thinking. I am not going let them die but on my own I would not ever buy these fish regadless of price and would probably even turn them down for free.

I will also check to see how close the intended recipent is, perhaps he can just come get them.

lucas9000
04-19-2005, 03:30 PM
is there a pet store nearby that might at least give you a few bucks for them, that you could pass on to the guy to mitigate his mistake a little, or maybe they'll just take them off your hands for free so at least the fish don't die?

WORST SENTENCE EVER.

[censored]
04-19-2005, 03:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
is there a pet store nearby that might at least give you a few bucks for them, that you could pass on to the guy to mitigate his mistake a little, or maybe they'll just take them off your hands for free so at least the fish don't die?

[/ QUOTE ]

That is a good idea. I would think I can get 1/3rd which would at least cover the shipping.

lu_hawk
04-19-2005, 03:44 PM
i think you have a responsibility not to let them die. granted they're only guppies and you got them by mistake and don't want them but they're alive and you have the ability to keep them alive so letting them die would be wrong. a pet store would definitely take them and many will even give you a store credit in return, although for 2 guppies it would be a very small amount.

Joe826
04-19-2005, 03:46 PM
legally the fish are yours, you can do whatever you want. technically you don't have to do [censored]. if you like fish and want to save them, then do so, otherwise do whatever you want.

jakethebake
04-19-2005, 03:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i think you have a responsibility not to let them die. granted they're only guppies and you got them by mistake and don't want them but they're alive and you have the ability to keep them alive so letting them die would be wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why?

lu_hawk
04-19-2005, 03:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i think you have a responsibility not to let them die. granted they're only guppies and you got them by mistake and don't want them but they're alive and you have the ability to keep them alive so letting them die would be wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why?

[/ QUOTE ]

don't ask stupid questions. one(1) second of thought will enable you to realize why i would say that, even if you might feel differently.

[censored]
04-19-2005, 03:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i think you have a responsibility not to let them die. granted they're only guppies and you got them by mistake and don't want them but they're alive and you have the ability to keep them alive so letting them die would be wrong. a pet store would definitely take them and many will even give you a store credit in return, although for 2 guppies it would be a very small amount.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not going to let them die if they are in my possession even if it means keeping them.

jakethebake
04-19-2005, 04:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why?

[/ QUOTE ]

don't ask stupid questions. one(1) second of thought will enable you to realize why i would say that, even if you might feel differently.

[/ QUOTE ]

i have no idea why you would say that unless it's because you're stupid.

Pocket Trips
04-19-2005, 04:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
There are two options as I see it:

1: If the fish are big enough, cook them and eat them
2: If they are teeny tiny, throw a big party and make your friends drink shots with a live guppie in them.

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]
Is one of them named Wanda? If so look in the treasure chest in the tank

Cry Me A River
04-19-2005, 05:20 PM
As you did, I'd contact the original buyer and ask him what he'd like you to do while offering to do anything reasonable to get them to the intended buyer. If the seller is a profesional, he's probably going to tell you to just keep them, dispose of them as you will and not worry about it (I've been in the mail order business, this type of thing happens to everyone and on a small order like this is almost always better to just write it off and ship out a replacement order to the intended buyer.)

The pet shop is a good idea though it seems to me they might be wary about taking unknown fish (disease and all...). You should probably provide them with the name &etc of the seller (ie: If he's a well know dealer or big company...)

CrazyN8
04-19-2005, 05:30 PM
get a bigger fish (Bass are good for this ) and let them go in it's tank. Those suckers just suck the little guys down. It's nuts.....or, make sure they have enough room/air/food in another tank/bowl and keep the ammonia levels down and they should be happy. I have some fish (3 little guys in a 5 gallons tank). All they do is eat and [censored]. Absolutely amazing!

As far as responsibility goes, they are your fish - the shipper has to eat that one. I think you will do what it right.

[censored]
04-19-2005, 07:55 PM
I have not gotten a response from my first email and I am leaving in hour for the night. I am unsure as to whether or not the fish would make it through the night unpacked. I decided to start acclimating the fish to tank I emptied which pretty much prevents reshipping. I sent the seller an email stating the above.

My local fish store would only offer a store credit afer a 1 week acclimation period so this would not be much help to him getting some oh his cost back.