PDA

View Full Version : Feel free to trash me as much as you like...

Rake_in
04-15-2005, 01:49 PM
Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with A/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (6.33 SB) 4/images/graemlins/club.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls.

Turn: (4.16 BB) 9/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, BB calls.

River: (10.16 BB) 3/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls.

Final Pot: 12.16 BB

I had no reads on the big blind. If there were any other players in the pot, I would cap it preflop, but against one player I decided to get a little tricky.

So here was my reasoning. If I capped preflop, BB is correctly gonna put me on a monster hand. If he has a big pocket pair, He'll probably call me down. But, If I don't cap preflop and then wait till the turn to raise I get an extra small bet out of him (assuming he calls me down, and doesn't improve). Also, if I cap preflop and he has AK or AQ I'm not going to make a lot of money off of him if he doesn't improve. Instead, if I let him lead the hand he will be putting the bets in and my hand is disguised until I raise on the turn or river.

The only other concern I have with this hand is with my turn play. Was I too aggressive by 3betting there?

Redeye
04-15-2005, 01:51 PM
I don't think there is anything wrong with this. I generally mix it up and cap sometimes, call sometimes. I also do the same w/ KK,QQ and AKs when HU.

mute
04-15-2005, 01:58 PM
Not capping preflop isn't awful IMO, but I rarely do it especially against an unknown.

On the turn the only reasonable hand you're behind is KK, so 3bet for sure. This was kind of the whole point by only calling preflop to make some extra bets here.

SmileyEH
04-15-2005, 02:01 PM
Just cap preflop. Make sure you do it with AK AQs KK etc. etc.

-SmileyEH

shant
04-15-2005, 02:10 PM
In situations where it is going to be heads up, calling is great for deception. I believe you will get more bets in situations like this from AK,KK,QQ,JJ, and TT. If it wasn't heads up I would cap.

Demana
04-15-2005, 02:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
On the turn the only reasonable hand you're behind is KK, so 3bet for sure. This was kind of the whole point by only calling preflop to make some extra bets here.

[/ QUOTE ]

By 3-betting, Hero basically limits himself to one BB on the river. What about calling the turn raise, with the intention of leading the river and 3-betting the raise?

That would nab an extra BB as long as an Ace doesn't fall.

wrto4556
04-15-2005, 02:13 PM
Most people are reluctant to raise the river without goods. I like the turn.

shant
04-15-2005, 02:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What about calling the turn raise, with the intention of leading the river and 3-betting the raise?

That would nab an extra BB as long as an Ace doesn't fall.

[/ QUOTE ]
He said he has no read. I'm not so sure an unknown will raise a stop-and-go'd river and then call a 3-bet with something we beat. He is ahead of everything except KK on this turn, and the opponent will most likely call-down heads up, so I take the 2BB.

wrto4556
04-15-2005, 02:17 PM
btw, hero can't lead the river; he's in position.

Demana
04-15-2005, 02:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Most people are reluctant to raise the river without goods. I like the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I see where this is going. Hero was just check/raised on the turn. If Hero calls, Villian will lead the river and only call a raise, equalling the same number of bets as when Hero 3-bets the turn and then bets the river.

shant
04-15-2005, 02:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
btw, hero can't lead the river; he's in position.

[/ QUOTE ]
Oops, got confused when I read the bet-3bet thing.

CallMeIshmael
04-15-2005, 02:47 PM
This hand is fine.

Fat Nicky
04-15-2005, 02:48 PM
i like it...top to bottom.

Rake_in
04-15-2005, 04:04 PM
Thanks guys. I wasn't sure if not capping it preflop was a big mistake, but the majority of you seem to think it's fine.

Hoi Polloi
04-15-2005, 04:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks guys. I wasn't sure if not capping it preflop was a big mistake, but the majority of you seem to think it's fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not capping this is the worst mistake I've ever seen in a 2+2 post...oh, I'm sorry, I only opened the thread cuz you said I could trash you. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

I think not capping pf is only okay. Deception goes down in value in games where you are not playing the same players regularly. If villain is someone you think knows your play then there's some value in it.

Nice hand.

einbert
04-15-2005, 04:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This hand is fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. I usually cap this PF but not doing so is fine, especially against a player that will try to read your hand somewhat.

I much prefer three-betting the turn to any of your other options.

Guy Incognito
04-15-2005, 05:28 PM
I don't understand the turn 3-bet. BB called the flop and CRed a non-scare card, this would make me think he flopped a monster, has 99, or K9, the latter of which is the only hand hero is ahead of.

Entity
04-15-2005, 05:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't understand the turn 3-bet. BB called the flop and CRed a non-scare card, this would make me think he flopped a monster, has 99, or K9, the latter of which is the only hand hero is ahead of.

[/ QUOTE ]

He'd do this with AK, KK, 99 . . . Hero's way ahead here generally.

Rob

meep_42
04-15-2005, 05:32 PM
Are we c/folding the river UI to a cap? Or calling it down?

-d

shant
04-15-2005, 05:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]

-d

[/ QUOTE ]
Against an unknown I'd call it down.

adamstewart
04-15-2005, 05:39 PM
Where's Lansing when you need him? He was an expert on when to not cap aces preflop.

/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Adam

Bill C
04-15-2005, 05:56 PM
I have no probs with the betting, though I might have capped pf. As I read the hand and the responses, I thought about the fact that the flush card showed up on the river. And I thought maybe Villain had something like K/images/graemlins/club.gifQ/images/graemlins/club.gif, had 4 to a flush on the turn and made a strong move, only to then go to check/call on the river. Sort of a go-stop. And I thought about why he'd make such a strong play on the turn and back off on the river. I wonder if he thought maybe hero had the nut flush? And I wonder if Hero gave any thought to being shown a flush?

It'll be interesting to see what villain had, to try to understand his peculiar action.

bill c

einbert
04-15-2005, 07:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]

-d

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would we call the turn cap only to fold the river UI? If we're behind we only have two outs and we aren't getting the odds to draw.

I think we should either fold to the cap or call down. I favor calling down versus an unknown.