PDA

View Full Version : Crying call with top pair K kicker

evain
04-14-2005, 05:39 AM
Hi all

Hand from just now - Party 3/6

READS: CO looks solid. Only 10 hands in but he has done nothing odd.

Hero open raises MP3 KTs

CO reraises

Everyone folds, Hero calls the raise.

2 to the flop for 7.5 SB

flop is 28Tr

Hero bets, CO raises, hero calls.

2 to the turn (11.5SB)

Turn 7

Hero checks, CO bets, Hero calls.

River (7BB)

River is a 4

Final pot 9BB

Thoughts?

Elbie
04-14-2005, 05:45 AM
Any reads on CO? What are his preflop 3-betting standards in that position? Is he the kind of player that would play AK, this way postflop?

evain
04-14-2005, 05:50 AM
Just seen 10 hands and he looked okay. Had not noticed anything maniacal, anyways.

Elbie
04-14-2005, 06:09 AM
This is difficult without reads. He surely plays his hand like AA, KK, QQ, JJ. I would be tempted to just bail out on the flop and not investing 2 more BBs to find out. If you were inclined to call this down when you saw the flop I think a better line is to check/call all the way.

Super Pro
04-14-2005, 06:40 AM
simple hand, hope you won

evain
04-14-2005, 06:53 AM
Well he turned over KK and I started to think that I should have folded to the river bet. I mean, would he bet AK or AQ?

oreogod
04-14-2005, 07:12 AM
Well it makes it a little more difficult without reads. I think his preflop 3-bet and flop raise tell u that he likes his hand. Im thinking AA-JJ at least. I dont think AK pops u on a flop like this, depends on the player.

Against a solid I just call his flop raise and check/fold the turn...if u are behind, u are going to need a lot of help.

Against a LAG, I 3-bet the flop and go from there.

You're probably behind. I say check/fold the turn...if u are against AA-KK you're pretty much dead. QQ u have 3 outs, JJ 3 outs. Once u find out his calling standards u can give your self a better estimate of where u stand.

marching_on_together
04-14-2005, 07:44 AM
Without a read it's difficult to access the 3-bet it could be a premium hand but it could be a smaller pair as he might put you on a steal/loose raise and want the added fold equity he gets by 3-betting.

I think if you going to call this down i would check call all the way as he will likely raise the flop with just overcards (maybe then taking a free turn card).

You may well be behind but it's an opportunity with a decent hand to call down and find out some info on your opponent i think that's ok here.

Michael Emery
04-14-2005, 07:50 AM
With only 10 hands and no serious reads on this player, I like check-calling him down the entire way.

Mike Emery

chesspain
04-14-2005, 07:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Any reads on CO? What are his preflop 3-betting standards in that position? Is he the kind of player that would play AK, this way postflop?

[/ QUOTE ]

READS: CO...Only 10 hands in but he has done nothing odd.

evain
04-14-2005, 08:06 AM
Ok let's say I check call the flop and the turn - which a loose AK might bet. But after the blank river falls and I check, doesn't a bet mean a big pair. He WANTS me to call. If he has AK or a small pocket pair he is showing down for free.

Elbie
04-14-2005, 08:16 AM
I think you have to make the decision whether to call this down or not earlier than on the river.

You either fold earlier or check/call all the way. The river bet could be AK wanting you to fold or AA......wanting you to call.

Donk
04-14-2005, 08:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Hi all

Hand from just now - Party 3/6

READS: CO looks solid. Only 10 hands in but he has done nothing odd.

Hero open raises MP3 KTs

CO reraises

Everyone folds, Hero calls the raise.

2 to the flop for 7.5 SB

flop is 28Tr

Hero bets, CO raises, hero calls.

2 to the turn (11.5SB)

Turn 7

River (7BB)

River is a 4

Final pot 9BB

Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

Seems standard.

damaniac
04-14-2005, 08:54 AM
It is worth mentioning that this is a steal/re-steal type of situation, so he can be three-betting substantially lighter than normal. That being said, if he thinks at all, it sure looks like you have a pair with the flop bet into the 3-bettor, so betting the river probably isn't his best move if he has AK/AQ/KQ/AJ. However, assuming he has an overpair here more than 1 in 9 times is probably excessive, especially with minimal reads. Call.