PDA

View Full Version : Cold-calling makes me feel dirty

brettbrettr
04-13-2005, 10:48 PM
This table has been pretty loose. I have 40 hands on MP1, he's played half of them. Weakly. If he doens't call I don't call, even though I expect the button to come along.

UTG is a rock however, 75 hands, 12/3. There was another player behind me I fully expected to call. I expected a call from the button too, but all things considered, not sure I needed it...

I call a river raise.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (8.33 SB) 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, MP1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls, UTG calls.

Turn: (7.16 BB) A/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB folds, UTG calls.

River: (9.16 BB) 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls.

Final Pot: 11.16 BB

adamstewart
04-13-2005, 10:51 PM
Why did you raise the flop?

brettbrettr
04-13-2005, 10:51 PM
Looking at this now, is the flop raise any good at all? I mean, with his #'s he's going to have AA, KK, AK QQ a large percentage of the time. The liklihood of my buying a freebie seems low.

brettbrettr
04-13-2005, 10:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Why did you raise the flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh, I wrote my "why did I raise the flop" while you were writing yours. Yeah, its not the right play. It was a default free card play reflex that didn't examine all the variables.

einbert
04-13-2005, 10:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
UTG is a rock

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I call a river raise.

[/ QUOTE ]
Huh? If your read is that UTG is weak-tight I think bet/folding the river is the best idea.
Then again, you only have 75 hands. So I agree that calling the raise is prudent, because of the small sample size.

Since MP1 is bad and you 'expect the button to come along', I would strongly consider threebetting. Position in pots like this can be quite powerful.

I only raise this flop if you have a stronger read on UTG. If he's very passive it's probably fine, otherwise I just call.

NH otherwise.

adamstewart
04-13-2005, 10:57 PM
I have to admit, I'm really confused by UTG here.

Given his stats, his most likely holdings are AA, KK, or AK. Therefore, I'd almost be inclined to check the river through.

However, he hasn't raised you at all!?!? Hmmm... could be he be calling down with QQ?

Confusing... given, though, your sample size is small on him.

Adam

brettbrettr
04-13-2005, 10:58 PM
Yeah, maybe I change that. If UTG c/r's me on the river I just can't be good.