PDA

View Full Version : I know this is awful, but WHERE was the mistake?

nokona13
04-05-2005, 03:11 PM
My (weak) plan when I called was that I would assume a tight party poker range for the raise, so TT-AA, AK-AQ, possibly KQs. I got paranoid and started thinking the range of hands I beat was getting very small with the queen there. What was the big mistake here? Should I have raised pf to see where I was, pushed the flop, or pushed the turn? As I look back on it now, I get the feeling this could just as easily have been a stupid JJ or AQ, and I may have folded the best hand, but I'm not sure...

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t15 (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

BB (t630)
UTG (t715)
UTG+1 (t775)
UTG+2 (t730)
MP1 (t1045)
MP2 (t1085)
MP3 (t785)
Hero (t800)
Button (t770)
SB (t665)

Preflop: Hero is CO with K/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises to t60</font>, MP3 calls t60, Hero calls t60, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>.

Flop: (t205) 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets t275</font>, MP3 folds, Hero calls t275.

Turn: (t755) Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets t750 (All-In)</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: t1505

Voltron87
04-05-2005, 03:15 PM
Your AK is completely undefined, I don't see how you can possibly to fold on the turn. Would he play a set or 2 pair like this?

This would be different if you raised pf, bet the flop, and got cr'ed all in. Put yourself in his shoes, what do you think (the real you) has? Probably less than AK.

jcm4ccc
04-05-2005, 03:16 PM
The overbet on the flop smacks of weakness. Besides, the flop is almost perfect for AK. I would have reraised him all-in.

utmt40
04-05-2005, 03:17 PM
Your mistake is when you folded.

raptor517
04-05-2005, 03:17 PM
calling preflop is definitely ok. calling the flop is not ok, you have to push. he makes a HUGE bet here. HUGE bet. i dont see any way how your AK can be behind. i really dont think you are going to run into AA here. get yer chips in on the flop. also, if you just called the flop, i dont see how you can fold the turn. holla

Voltron87
04-05-2005, 03:20 PM
I definitely don't think you "have" to push the flop. It is about as drawless as you can get, and headsup. Though when the Qs comes I'm pushing no matter what.

MSUcougar
04-05-2005, 03:34 PM
looks like he was trying to basically give his chips to you there... if he had a monster he would not be trying to bully you out of the pot like that... I'd say its most likely a complete bluff with A high or a weak made hand like KJ...

Jman28
04-05-2005, 03:39 PM
Your only mistake was folding the turn.

I might reraise preflop, but not always. I would call the flop like you did. The board is not dangerous at all.

Call the turn.

-Jman28

The Venetian
04-05-2005, 03:43 PM
Got to at least call the turn. I'd push the flop, but I'd be OK with a "call and let him hang himself on the turn" play. You'd be amazed how weak he could be here.

Gramps
04-05-2005, 03:55 PM
The mistake came by folding the Turn. Why would your opponent push the Turn if he had you beat? I could see someone playing AA scared that way, but with all the "Level 1 crazies" on PP, it's much more likely that there's only 2-4 cards on the River that could beat you.

The only point in flat calling the flop is to get your opponent to commit most/all of his chips on the Turn. Not a bad play on the drawless board if your opponent might fold to your flop push, but might lead big on the Turn. He's done that. Call and collect your big pot. If you call and lose, oh well, sh-t happens, the Turn call is still correct.

Sam T.
04-05-2005, 03:58 PM
I'd probably re-pop pre-flop (say that three times fast), simply because I don't want this to turn into a family pot.

My God, what a flop! And he bets into you?!? It might be a little tiny tell, but at this point you need to ask the pit boss for few more chip trays. But seriously, this is one of the rare situations where I would cold-call. We can assume that the villain has neither a 2 nor a 5, so there are very few turn cards that are bad news. So right now he is drawing to three outs (if he has Kx), two outs (if he has a pair) or zero outs if he has AJ, AQ, etc. Call and see if he'll bet into you again on the turn.

(The only downside of this approach is that he may shut it down after you call, whereas he might call a raise. So I guess you could make the case for raising the flop.)

Fold on the turn? /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Sam

nokona13
04-05-2005, 04:03 PM
Yeah I'm pretty embarassed about this now that I look at it. He insta-pushed the turn queen, and I convinced myself he'd been trying to buy the pot with one over with QQ, and now was going to [censored] me...

Edit: And yes, I sleep with a nightlight /images/graemlins/smile.gif

GtrHtr
04-05-2005, 04:10 PM
Your mistake was folding on the turn. I think you could have pushed the flop, but basically he was doing your betting for you so you called. I think he probably had a K but without the kicker you have. His bet on the turn seems to want to discourage you from betting a flush draw.