PDA

View Full Version : What move between limits requires the biggest adjustment?

Wynton
03-24-2005, 02:54 PM
Based on either personal expereince or anecdotes, tell me at what levels do you think there is the biggest difference in style of play and the abilities of the players.

Or to put it differently, what move between levels do you think requires the biggest adjustment?

And if possible, tell me whether you think this depends on a particular site.

(I'm speaking principally of online limit, full tables, but feel free to mention if you think there are bigger jumps involved at short-tables, or nl.)

Oh, and this is not a bankroll question, just a question about differences in playing styles at each level

Wynton
03-24-2005, 03:26 PM
Keep those votes a'coming, please.

Hermlord
03-24-2005, 03:31 PM
I've only played Party up to 5-10, but so far, 2-4 to 3-6 is definitely the biggest.

Siingo
03-24-2005, 03:45 PM
I voted 5/10 - 10/20

I have not done this step yet but I am preparing me to do it some day. The problem I see is that there is almost no 10-handed tables at 10/20 on Party and co. Especially not at daytime in Sweden (I think I saw 1 table last time I looked). So I have decided to learn 6-max so I do not have to make the jump to 15/30 right away. This is a big adjustment.

Wynton
03-24-2005, 03:55 PM
Now that I started this thread, I wish I had also asked people to identify the level they currently play.

I voted for 3/6 to 5/10, I think because it's my next step and, perhaps for that reason, seems the most imposing to me.

rwinns
03-24-2005, 03:59 PM
There are noticeable differences at each level. As you move up in limits there are adjustments that need to be made. Not only because of better players but because of different blind structures.

Paul2432
03-24-2005, 04:07 PM
I voted for 5/10 to 10/20

In many public card rooms under 10/20 is considered low limit and above 10/20 mid/high limit. Often these games are in separate areas and use separate podiums. This division often leads to a marked change in game texture at 10/20 compared to the lower limits. Obviously, there is no such distinction on-line, but for many former B&M players the distinction carries on in the on-line game.

Paul

sfer
03-24-2005, 04:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
In many public card rooms under 10/20 is considered low limit and above 10/20 mid/high limit. Often these games are in separate areas and use separate podiums. This division often leads to a marked change in game texture at 10/20 compared to the lower limits. Obviously, there is no such distinction on-line, but for many former B&M players the distinction carries on in the on-line game.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think so, unless you consider a "marked change in game texture" the slight dialing down in donkishness of 1-3 players and adding 1-2 decent/tight players and maybe 1 tough player.

Reef
03-24-2005, 04:47 PM
I think the results may be skewed b/c people will tend to put what their own next "jump" is.

Mister Z
03-24-2005, 04:55 PM
I voted 'they're all the same' b/c I play micro limits and wanted to see the results. /images/graemlins/blush.gif /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Wynton
03-24-2005, 05:00 PM
That's cheating Mister Z. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Besides, I tried to communicate that your vote could be based on anecodotes, as well as your own experience.

beachbum
03-24-2005, 05:04 PM
Yeah, it would obviously be best to hear from those who have already made a level jump rather than what they're anticipating being their next hardest move.

Bluffoon
03-24-2005, 05:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think the results may be skewed b/c people will tend to put what their own next "jump" is.

[/ QUOTE ]

The real answer for party and skins may be from .5/1 to 1/2. For the first time you are playing against players who mostly have graduated from the "bottom of the barrel" (no offense)

chopchoi
03-24-2005, 05:07 PM
The results of this poll are bound to be skewed in favor of the lower limits because many players have not made the transition to the higher limits, and therefore have no opinion on the difficulty of such transition.

Wynton
03-24-2005, 05:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The results of this poll are bound to be skewed in favor of the lower limits because many players have not made the transition to the higher limits, and therefore have no opinion on the difficulty of such transition.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I know. It would be nice if more higher-limit people could weigh in with an opinion. On the other hand, some of those people never played micro or even low limits to begin with.

In fact, what I really wish is that a few people who have traveled through the various levels could get together and describe somewhat systematically what differences, if any, they found at each level. Has anyone done this here before?

Bluffoon
03-24-2005, 05:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I know. It would be nice if more higher-limit people could weigh in with an opinion. On the other hand, some of those people never played micro or even low limits to begin with.

In fact, what I really wish is that a few people who have traveled through the various levels could get together and describe somewhat systematically what differences, if any, they found at each level. Has anyone done this here before?

[/ QUOTE ]

The short answer is that the games generally get progressively tighter and more aggressive.

Wynton
03-24-2005, 05:20 PM
I realize the games get progressively more aggressive and tighter, but is that increase gradual and steady, or does there come a point when the increase is especially dramatic? That's one thing I was hoping to learn here.

bicyclekick
03-24-2005, 05:40 PM
movign from .5/1 to the next level.

warlockjd
03-24-2005, 06:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Try reading all of davidross posts. He chronicled weekly for over a year, starting at Partadise $3/6ish, I believe. Not sure what level he plays now, but it's definitely higher. The responses/advice he gets include some gems as well.

Wynton
03-24-2005, 06:15 PM
Thanks, I will do just that!

beachbum
03-24-2005, 07:32 PM
I started back in the day at 0.05/0.10 at Stars. My toughest transition was to the 0.25/0.50 game (not kidding). A) because it was my first move up. B) cause it was 5x bigger. I think at that point they had 0.10/0.20 but they were all or most 6-max I think. C) because they didn't even rake the 5cent/10cent game. FWIW, I play 3/6 now.

SomethingClever
03-24-2005, 07:35 PM
Play money to real money.

dankhank
03-24-2005, 08:54 PM
5/10 to 10/20 ought to be my choice because i played 5/10 for a long time (3-4 months) before building up the neccesary bankroll and inner fortitude for 10/20. however, the play at those two levels is similarly mediocre and any adjustments that need to be made have little to do with poker tactics. i picked 30/60 to 100/200 (haven't done it yet) because it really does seem like it's two different caliber of players populating each of those games.

Wynton
03-24-2005, 09:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Play money to real money.

[/ QUOTE ]

My first reaction was to laugh. My second reaction was to wonder if this is true. Some of those microlimit games sure seem akin to play money.

Wynton
03-25-2005, 09:27 AM
shameless bump