PDA

View Full Version : A little self introductory, and in need of advice.

pearljam
03-16-2005, 04:53 AM
I am 17 years old and I play online poker under an adults name, so it is actually legally registered. My bankroll is 800$ right now. Let me give you a little background about myself and my online career.
I dropped out of highschool at 16 and promptly got my GED and started community college, which is where I am at right now. I figured I would save a year and also the hours are alot shorter at college, even though im full time, so it is less work. I come from a relatively poor family, and pay for college with your tax dollars (thanks guys!).
Anyway I started playing poker about 2 years ago along with the 2003 WSOP broadcasting like alot of others. Started playing online about a year ago and boy what a rush its been. First I deposited 100$ and lost it all playing party poker 5+1 SNG's. Actually as I look back at my records back then I was a winning player if not for the monstrous rake.
So after losing that in about 2 months I read every book I could find on poker (and I mean every one, I have every major poker book) and started playing the freeroll circuit. Eventually I caught a brake and got a bankroll up and rolling again. On a side note, anyone who cant make money at online poker or asks to be staked is lazy or refuses to play low stakes. There are plenty of freerolls and low limit games to get anybody started out there. Anyway I started playing the cash games on prima and was doing really well. I got up too the 2-4 NL game then cashed out 1k, leaving my bankroll at 1,500.
I cannot possibly express how proud I was at 16 to have made 1k, greatest feeling ever. Also I think my mom finally understood what I was doing, instead of just gambling. So then disaster struck as I got hit with a really really cold deck and lost my bankroll, first half to cold cards and second half to frustration and anger, you know the drill. So there I was with nothing and decided I was going to rebuild again.
I did and decided to go back to my roots, the SNG's, Now I have a healthy bankroll and am showing good returns on the 20+2 SNG's on party. Anyway thats where I am at right now.
Even before poker I was a games player, I always have been. You remember magic the gathering? the game jon murphy explained on the WSOP broadcast, I used to play that too. Chess and countless other games where my bread and butter. The money I got to start with on online poker was all from these games, as I used to go to tournaments and do well. I feel my background in these games and my will to study the game has really helped me out.
My ambition now is to make a living off this game. I really want to play professionally online. I play about 40 hours a weak and I browse online poker sites(and other games that I still play sites) wile playing online poker. I really want to become a part of this community as I think it will help me out, which is why im posting this.
Im trying to work my way up to the higher level SNG's, high enough to make a living at, and would like some advice from people who have already made it about what I am going to run into and in general what I should be doing.

DiamondDave
03-16-2005, 05:38 AM
Tilt is the biggest problem for most poker players, even those who are serious about the game. Learn to play well, and then don't play at all when you aren't playing well.

KaBoom
03-16-2005, 06:06 AM
I don't think you can really make a living playing only SNG's. Go back to ring games, preferably limit. Good bankroll management is key. Don't play 2-4 NL with 2500, that is only 6,25 x buyin which is too low.

gamblore99
03-16-2005, 10:09 AM
welcome to the forum. I asked around before, and the general consensus is that limit is more profitable.

7ontheline
03-16-2005, 12:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't think you can really make a living playing only SNG's.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not true.

Paluka
03-16-2005, 12:13 PM
Of course you can make a living at sngs.

GrandmaStabone
03-16-2005, 12:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I am only 17 years old and play online under an adult's name

[/ QUOTE ]

I (should be we) do not support underage gambling. In addition I think your overall outlook on the online game is unhealthy, especially at your age.

mindflayer
03-16-2005, 02:02 PM
Sounds like you got a good shot at this.
YOU got 3 good things going for you.

1) Gamers Background
2) Highly motivated
3) Lots of Time
4) you realize your first weakness (formal training; the guys here who talk theory have a pile of letters after their names and can fall back on that when poker doesn't work, you can't) and have read as much about poker as you can.

My short advice, This may not be to your liking but I believe that if you want to stick to bread and butter, switch to LIMit games.
Game/Table selection is better, variance is lower and the real money is made by just playing more RAW numbers of hands.
I also believe that there is MORE good information about LImit hold'em than NL. If you check out the books Forum,
for every NL or Sit n go type book there are 4-5 LImit books. There is one forum here for 'ont table tournaments' and 4 for limit, micro, small stakes, mid-high stakes, short handed and HU.

If your skill is really at Sit N' go's then so be it, but if you are good at games and are willing to learn.. Switch now, to 1-2 Full ring games (for your bankroll), then eventually add tables, untill you can 4 table.
when your BR and +BB/100 hands says you are a definite winner at 1-2 then move to 2-4.. then 3-6..
Oh, Of course sign up with a Reputable Affiliate and get a decent rake back.

Mindflayer

easypete
03-16-2005, 02:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I am only 17 years old and play online under an adult's name

[/ QUOTE ]

I (should be we) do not support underage gambling. In addition I think your overall outlook on the online game is unhealthy, especially at your age.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed.

And use paragraphs.

Justin A
03-16-2005, 02:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
On a side note, anyone who cant make money at online poker or asks to be staked is lazy or refuses to play low stakes. There are plenty of freerolls and low limit games to get anybody started out there.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a completely erroneous statement.

Supposing you could make $40 per hour playing small stakes, but instead you work out a deal where you can make $80 per hour while getting staked? Would you still be considered lazy for taking the deal that makes you more money?

trotski
03-16-2005, 02:19 PM
I also disagree that you can't make a living at SNG's. Take a look at this, it's got great advice.
http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=602767&page=&view=&sb =5&o=

droolie
03-16-2005, 02:42 PM
Stay in college. Get a real job with real benfits and a real future. Online poker is great as a hobby and a source of income for the short term. You just can't count on it being there for you in 5 years. It would be a real shame if you reached the age of 30 and had a resume that had nothing but poker player on it when President Jeb Bush and the religious right apss a consititutional amendment to criminalize all forms of gambling.

Most wanna-be pros don't listen to the above advice so.... lacking that learn limit and bonus whore your brains out...

pearljam
03-16-2005, 03:04 PM
I completely agree with you, which is why I do plan on finishing my bachelors degree. I think the worst thereat to me right now is the politics behind online poker.
Also two people on this forum said that they dont think my outlook on online poker is healthy, could someone explain why?

pearljam
03-16-2005, 03:07 PM
I agree that for an already established playes it is better to get a stake then to spend a month working your way up to a decent bankroll. Still though anyone who has the time and ambition can build up a good bankroll online through promotions (10$ free etc...) and freerolls.

memphis57
03-17-2005, 12:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Also two people on this forum said that they dont think my outlook on online poker is healthy, could someone explain why?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know why they said that but one thing I noticed in your history was that you busted out your bankroll a couple times. You should never let that happen again. The best poker skills will get you nowhere without good bankroll management. With micro-limits avilable as low as .01/.02 you can always drop down a limit. Even if you have more money behind it, you should never bust out of a bankroll.

MicroBob
03-17-2005, 12:29 AM
actually, many successful SNG players will tell you that the variance is LOWER (than limit) and the bankroll requirements are smaller.

Equal
03-17-2005, 02:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
On a side note, anyone who cant make money at online poker or asks to be staked is lazy or refuses to play low stakes. There are plenty of freerolls and low limit games to get anybody started out there.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a completely erroneous statement.

Supposing you could make $40 per hour playing small stakes, but instead you work out a deal where you can make $80 per hour while getting staked? Would you still be considered lazy for taking the deal that makes you more money?

[/ QUOTE ]

When you find that deal, let me know.

johnnybeef
03-17-2005, 03:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
actually, many successful SNG players will tell you that the variance is LOWER (than limit) and the bankroll requirements are smaller.

[/ QUOTE ]

no way. ive played both and there is way more variance at the sngs. to reply to the poster that discussed the books available on sngs...because there is less literature available on sngs, the competition is much weaker. when you add in the nlhe tournament craze and the quick structure of the sng. sngs are the most profitable form of poker i have found (along with omaha 8).