PDA

View Full Version : Home Bar Essentials

Tron
03-14-2005, 02:46 AM
Well, I'm getting an apartment soon and I don't know much about booze apart from vodka and beer. I figure I'll need to stock up on liquor, and I also figured that there's no better crowd to ask what to stock up on than the residents of OOT.

I'm in college, so keep in mind that whatever you list should be moderately priced, and I should be able to make drinks for the ladies.

nothumb
03-14-2005, 03:36 AM
This has been done. Maybe two months ago, if you go back.

But I'll indulge. Coincidentally I am LOADED right now, so...

Get a light mixing rum like Bacardi Light & Dry and a middle of the road one like Captain's. Have plenty of coke and lime around. Ladies are taken care of.

For mixers, you will need Triple Sec, cranberry, lime juice, grenadine, pineapple, etc. I don't drink mixed drinks so who the [censored] cares.

For other liqour I recommend:

Jameson whiskey
Herradura or El Tesoro tequila (do NOT get Cuervo or Sauze, for motherfucking Christ's sake and yours)
Any vodka, who cares

Really, beyond that and some beers, have to admit I don't care right now.

NT

wacki
03-14-2005, 03:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Herradura or El Tesoro tequila (do NOT get Cuervo or Sauze, for motherfucking Christ's sake and yours)

[/ QUOTE ]

Whats wrong with Cuervo?

nothumb
03-14-2005, 03:43 AM
Umm, it's not tequila?

Basically grain alcohol with tequila flavoring. Gross. Honestly I can drink pints of good tequila but one shot of this filth makes me want to die.

NT

wacki
03-14-2005, 03:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Umm, it's not tequila?

Basically grain alcohol with tequila flavoring.

[/ QUOTE ]

No [censored] way!!!! I didn't know that. Btw, what the hell are you doing drunk on a sunday night. BTW, I am right with you. Drunk gambling is soo fun. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

nothumb
03-14-2005, 03:51 AM
Friend's birthday tonight, I got truly lit for the first time in a while. I also have Sunday and Monday off, like the tard I am, so tomorrow is Sunday for me.

Car bombs WOOOOT!

NT

IronDragon1
03-14-2005, 04:00 AM
http://www.epinions.com/images/opti/f8/24/fddkSpiritsBy_NameAllKetel_One_Vodka-resized200.jpg

RunDownHouse
03-14-2005, 09:51 AM
Kegerator. Can be done for under $300 easy, and will pay for itself in no time.

nicky g
03-14-2005, 09:59 AM
Bushmills > Jamesons in the blended Irish stakes.

Tron
03-14-2005, 10:19 AM
Yes, Cuervo is a vile liquid, which, in my short drinking career, I have already learned to despise and fear.

Thanks for the help, it's much appreciated.

2planka
03-14-2005, 10:37 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v713/wormtowne/makers_mark_gr.jpg

rusellmj
03-14-2005, 11:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Cuervo is a vile liquid

[/ QUOTE ]

theBruiser500
03-14-2005, 12:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Umm, it's not tequila?

Basically grain alcohol with tequila flavoring. Gross. Honestly I can drink pints of good tequila but one shot of this filth makes me want to die.

NT

[/ QUOTE ]

I am very stupid on this subject, what is vodka compared to tequila? What is wrong with grain alcohol and tequila flavoring, what is REAL tequila? See how ignorant I am, HELP ME.

__Q__
03-14-2005, 01:17 PM
All this time I thought I hated tequilla. Turns out I've never really had it. /images/graemlins/mad.gif

mmbt0ne
03-14-2005, 01:40 PM
http://www.f2f2s.com/images/wyborowa1.jpg

LALDAAS
03-14-2005, 01:51 PM
I personally own this bad boy....
http://www.compactappliance.com/images/us/local/products/detail/DKC445_dt.jpg

Dude its a must! I live in apartment also. In the long run it +EV I think ( I could be wrong ) 1 1/4 keg holds 7 1/2 cases of beer.

7.5*$12.99=$90.00
1 1/4 keg $38.00

You have to fill up the CO2 like every 3rd or 4th keg for the cost of about 20 beans.

NUFF SAID!

Reason # 2 no empty cans and or bottles to worry about!
That is a wonderful thing.

I picked this thing up at home depot for $450 and I am happy with every penny I spent.

codewarrior
03-14-2005, 01:52 PM
Grey Goose > any other vodka.

mmbt0ne
03-14-2005, 01:55 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />
Grey Goose &gt; any other vodka.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a common misperception, perpetrated by those who listen to too much rap music.

chaas4747
03-14-2005, 01:58 PM
You can go with some Smirnoff and it is just as good as any other Vodka out there, if you are mixing it with something. Let me say that last part again. If you are mixing it with something. If you are planning on drinking it straight or with a twist. You need to get some better Vodka. Stoli would be my first choice.

ChoicestHops
03-14-2005, 01:59 PM
For the money I'd rather get a bottle of Smirnoff.

Some reason it's alot harder for me to take shots of Goose than a $13 1/5th of Smirnoff.

nothumb
03-14-2005, 02:11 PM
Bruiser -

Vodka is distilled from potatoes and generally the goal is to achieve complete purity of taste - it is meant to be basically without flavor, to mix perfectly, etc.

Tequila is distilled from the Agave cactus - good tequila from the blue agave - and therefore has its own particular flavor derived from that. Different varieties are aged for varying amounts of time in oak casks, with some of the best being blended with older, more rich tequilas as well.

Basically cheap tequila ignores this process, uses the bare minimum of actual agave and adds flavoring and sugar to the mix, if I understand it.... which is what causes it to taste so terrible, and also give such bad hangovers.

A decent bottle of tequila will cost you a tad more than a decent bottle of whiskey but it's worth it. People get crazy on good tequila.

NT

barry111
03-14-2005, 02:18 PM
You must have an ample supply of Jagermeister. It goes great with a chilled glass or any of those energy drinks. I love drinking Jagermeister and Red Bull while playing poker.

razor
03-14-2005, 03:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Vodka is distilled from potatoes

[/ QUOTE ]

Vodka is a redefined and filtered spirit distilled at 190 proof, then bottled for sale between 80 and 100 proof. Originally produced in Russia from potatoes, vodka today is produced from less expensive grains like corn and wheat. Vodka from potatoes, barley, and other vegetables can be found in our stores in the specialty vodka section. Initial fermentation is similar to that of beer and whiskey, but then the vodka is distilled at a very high proof to keep it free of flavor. It always is double distilled, and some producers refine even further and distill up to five times. The quality of the grain and water used in production has an enormous impact on the finished product. No aging is done.

source (http://bevmo.broaddaylight.com/bevmo/TFAQ2.shtm)

codewarrior
03-14-2005, 03:43 PM
Hmm. I'm sure all the awards it has won have nothing to do with... oh never mind.

I drink it straight, out of the freezer, and it is very tasty.

I hate rap "music".

mmbt0ne
03-14-2005, 03:53 PM
If I'm gonna spend Grey Goose money, I'm going to get Zyr, Chopin, or even Armadale. Both of those have a better taste. Grey Goose is everyone's favorite because it doesn't taste like the ass everyone starts off drinking. It's a boring flavor.

SenecaJim
03-14-2005, 03:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Grey Goose &gt; any other vodka.

[/ QUOTE ]

jar
03-14-2005, 04:11 PM
Read the articles at www.drinkboy.com (http://www.drinkboy.com). There are some good ones about stocking a bar and how to choose brands. Also, he gives good advice and recipies for real cocktails, not the crap that most people drink these days.

Freakin
03-14-2005, 05:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If I'm gonna spend Grey Goose money, I'm going to get Zyr, Chopin, or even Armadale. Both of those have a better taste. Grey Goose is everyone's favorite because it doesn't taste like the ass everyone starts off drinking. It's a boring flavor.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was seriously underwhelmed by Chopin. Definitely not worth my money. I've tried vodka martinis with chopin, grey goose, ketel 1, 3 olives, and other cheaper brands, and Grey goose was definitely top of my list for flavor, with ketel 1 being a decent second. Now I'm gonna have to go try out Zyr &amp; Armandale...

Freakin

codewarrior
03-14-2005, 05:13 PM
And to stir up some more debate,

Bombay Sapphire &gt; all other gin.

2planka
03-14-2005, 05:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
And to stir up some more debate,

[/ QUOTE ]

I prefer mine shaken, though, and plenty dirty.

codewarrior
03-14-2005, 05:18 PM
My martini recipe:

Take out martini glass.
Take out Vermouth bottle.
Hold up Vermouth so Martini glass can see it.
Put Vermouth away.
Take out gin.
Pour gin in glass.
Drink.
Repeat.

...Always repeat. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

TaxGoddess
03-14-2005, 10:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Amen. Especially perfect for an extra dry martini, straight up, with olives. Boy, I can't remember the last time I had one. It is worth every extra penny you pay.

TaxGoddess
03-14-2005, 10:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My martini recipe:

Take out martini glass.
Take out Vermouth bottle.
Hold up Vermouth so Martini glass can see it.
Put Vermouth away.
Take out gin.
Pour gin in glass.
Drink.
Repeat.

...Always repeat.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, great minds DO think alike! /images/graemlins/wink.gif

ThaSaltCracka
03-14-2005, 10:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Bushmills &gt; Jamesons in the blended Irish stakes.

[/ QUOTE ]um, no. Bushmills is a bastardized form of Irish Whiskey.

nicky g
03-15-2005, 06:09 AM
How is it bastardised?

edtost
03-15-2005, 12:30 PM
no love for tanqueray ten here? that stuff rocks.