PDA

View Full Version : UNC vs Duke ... The Rematch

Benjamin
03-06-2005, 04:49 PM
Get ready for some serious b-ball, folks. A lot at stake in this game. ACC championship, #1 ranking, #1 seed.

McCants is still out with an intestinal disorder. That sucks, but Carolina is still relatively strong and deep on the wing.

Benjamin's keys to the game: 1) Jackie Manual avoids foul trouble and plays a lot of minutes, putting the blanket on Redick. 2) Melvin Scott hits a couple or few threes.

If those happen and none of the regulars has a terrible game, I think UNC takes it.

Benjamin

Clarkmeister
03-06-2005, 05:16 PM
Interesting subplot involving Illinois here. If UNC wins, it makes it really, really likely that Duke and Illinois end up in the same bracket in Chicago due to NCAA seeding rules. A Duke win would almost ensure that none of the top 3 ACC teams end up in the Chicago regional with Illinois.

Food for thought.

Also, personally, I think a narrow (<4) point UNC victory leaves Illinois at #1, though it obviously doesn't matter much.

Great Sunday of basketball. Illinois goes down, Kentucky goes down, Kansas goes down and one of UNC-Dook will lose also. Yesterday, Okie St. lost at home also. The Madness is starting early this year!

BTW, hectic, undisciplined start to this UNC-Duke game. Both teams seem a little too jacked up for their own good.

Clarkmeister
03-06-2005, 06:03 PM
Looks good for UNC at halftime. Foul trouble for the Dookies, UNC is just too deep for them. The tempo of the game is pretty intense though, so no lead is safe.

college_boy
03-06-2005, 06:32 PM
I'm suprised at how close Duke is keeping it with Reddick as basically a non-factor in the second half.

Clarkmeister
03-06-2005, 06:36 PM
I think its a big mistake for UNC to be calling off the pressure. Keep the pressure on Duke's ball handlers, keep the tempo fast and you eventually wear them down.

Lots of heart by Duke to stay in this. Great game.

MEbenhoe
03-06-2005, 06:42 PM
Just finished up the draft. Wow this game is intense. GO DUKE!!!

Clarkmeister
03-06-2005, 06:43 PM
Wow, what a homer call there! How was that a jump ball and not an over the back foul on May???

Clarkmeister
03-06-2005, 06:50 PM
Hang on and with all the other chaos today, I think the ACC locks up the three "other" #1 seeds.

college_boy
03-06-2005, 06:52 PM
I'm thinking that as the clock runs down Duke's disciplined style gives them a major advantage.

Clarkmeister
03-06-2005, 06:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm thinking that as the clock runs down Duke's disciplined style gives them a major advantage.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well there's no doubt that K is a much better game coach than Roy. Huge Duke edge right now.

MEbenhoe
03-06-2005, 06:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hang on and with all the other chaos today, I think the ACC locks up the three "other" #1 seeds.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. If Duke holds on *knock on wood* I dont see how they dont get a #1 without a major ACC tourney [censored] up.

Clarkmeister
03-06-2005, 06:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. If Duke holds on *knock on wood* I dont see how they dont get a #1 without a major ACC tourney [censored] up.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's no way. BC is next in line and it seems no one wants to give it to them. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

MEbenhoe
03-06-2005, 06:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There's no way. BC is next in line and it seems no one wants to give it to them. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

3 losses in your last 7 games does that to you

Clarkmeister
03-06-2005, 06:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

3 losses in your last 7 games does that to you

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, KU, KY and OSU haven't exactly lit the world on fire in their last 5 or 6 games either.

I'm now firmly in the "Gonzaga deserves a 2 seed" camp.

Clarkmeister
03-06-2005, 07:00 PM
Bad call against Williams.

MEbenhoe
That block was all ball

Voltron87
If the game isn't over by now would you guys mind posting the scores at the end of your posts?

Clarkmeister
03-06-2005, 07:02 PM
Make your damn free throws.

73-71 1:40 to go, NC on 7-0 run

college_boy
03-06-2005, 07:02 PM
This has been an amazing game. 73-71 duke 1:30 left

Clarkmeister
03-06-2005, 07:03 PM
Gay Gay misses a gimme from 3, UNC misses a bunny, Duke ball up 2 with 37 seconds to go.

MEbenhoe
03-06-2005, 07:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Make your damn free throws.

[/ QUOTE ]

we've had this discussion before /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Clarkmeister
03-06-2005, 07:06 PM
Bad call giving the TO to the Heels, but why wasn't Reddick handling the ball anyways? They had to overplay and/or foul.

MEbenhoe
03-06-2005, 07:06 PM
so apparently now you can call timeout without possession of the ball? these refs are ridiculous

Clarkmeister
03-06-2005, 07:07 PM
ouch.

MEbenhoe
03-06-2005, 07:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
these refs are ridiculous

[/ QUOTE ]

Clarkmeister
03-06-2005, 07:08 PM
11-0 run for carolina. UNC up 2 with 17 secs to go.

MEbenhoe
just in case it hasnt been made clear yet
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
these refs are ridiculous

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Clarkmeister
That last call was fine. All ball, but they are going to call that obvious body contact every time.

mikeyvegas
03-06-2005, 07:09 PM
This is unreal.

Clarkmeister
Reddick was totally fouled on that shot.

Joe Tall
Ewing rushed that, totally blew it. What a finish!!

MEbenhoe
[ QUOTE ]
That last call was fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

ummm.... no

Voltron87
03-06-2005, 07:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
11-0 run for carolina. UNC up 2 with 17 secs to go.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow 11-0? WTF is happening to Duke?

mikeyvegas
What a finish by UNC. Gotta love seeing Duke choke down the stretch.

MEbenhoe
so yeah, i've never been one to blame the refs, but I dont know how anyone who watched the last couple minutes of that game can possibly say they didnt give UNC the game at the end there.

Clarkmeister
Duke lost by 2, Reddick got fouled taking a tough 3, a follow was no good, game over.

MEbenhoe
03-06-2005, 07:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Gotta love seeing Duke choke down the stretch.

[/ QUOTE ]

You must be high if you think thats true.

Clarkmeister
03-06-2005, 07:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
so yeah, i've never been one to blame the refs, but I dont know how anyone who watched the last couple minutes of that game can possibly say they didnt give UNC the game at the end there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, hold onto that last rebound on the missed FT. That was inexcusable.

mikeyvegas
03-06-2005, 07:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Make a free throw.

Clarkmeister
03-06-2005, 07:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
so yeah, i've never been one to blame the refs,

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, you are a Duke fan, so usually you are on the receiving end of the gifts. Usually nothing to blame from your end. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Clarkmeister
03-06-2005, 07:13 PM
BTW, how embarassing for UNC that they stormed the court. Wow.

mikeyvegas
03-06-2005, 07:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that was funny. I thought only big upsets deserved that behavior. Kinda like a #1 team going down to a .500 big ten team. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

MEbenhoe
03-06-2005, 07:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Make a free throw.

[/ QUOTE ]

maybe they would've if they had had the 4-6 free throws they shoulda had but didnt.

Rob Blackburn
03-06-2005, 07:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats absurd statement coming from a Dukie.

Either way, I have tears in my eyes, seeing those guys beat Duke at home on senior day is the ultimate. Especially being that it was a really tough played game. Its all gravy after this.

I withhold the oo spelling for one day out of respect for the second best team in the country coming into the best team in the countries house and putting up a valiant and memorable effort.

MEbenhoe
03-06-2005, 07:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats absurd statement coming from a Dukie.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats an even more absurd statement coming from a fan of the team that benefited from the calls.

mikeyvegas
03-06-2005, 07:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
... the second best team in the country coming into the best team in the countries house...

[/ QUOTE ]

I think Clark would have something to say about this...

mikeyvegas
03-06-2005, 07:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Thats an even more absurd statement coming from a fan of the team that benefited from the calls.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is such a funny statment coming from a fan of the team that has been getting those calls for the past 15 years. What a joke.

Clarkmeister
03-06-2005, 07:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
... the second best team in the country coming into the best team in the countries house...

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why bother? Duke isn't even the 2nd best team in their own conference, finishing a full 2 games back of 2nd place. Not sure why I'd argue with such an absurd statement.

Rob Blackburn
03-06-2005, 07:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Was it a little much, maybe, but the emotion that these games hold, beating Duke on senior day is huge and casue for celebration. Especially with this class that is graduating this year, all the rough times they have gone through in the program its a very big thing to take that game down.

Rob Blackburn
03-06-2005, 07:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is such a funny statment coming from a fan of the team that has been getting those calls for the past 15 years. What a joke.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly.

Rob Blackburn
03-06-2005, 07:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was hoping he would have a little more to say, I orig. was going to preface the comment to say they were the best two team in the country in my mind.

Then I realized what a perfect opp. to needle Clark on a day when his very good Illini fell.

MEbenhoe
03-06-2005, 07:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Whatever every one in the country hates Duke because they know they can't match them. So when it comes down to an argument such as this, I'll never have anyone on my side. However, if that game was between Longwood and Army and you for some reason happened to be watching it, you'd say the refs fu[/i]cked up big time at the end of the game.

Rob Blackburn
03-06-2005, 07:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Whatever every one in the country hates Duke because they know they can't match them. So when it comes down to an argument such as this, I'll never have anyone on my side. However, if that game was between Longwood and Army and you for some reason happened to be watching it, you'd say the refs fu[/i]cked up big time at the end of the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its not even that, if you were such a fan of Duke, you would know how notorious Coach K is at intimidating and harassing refs to get the calls leaning his way. It is what makes him the best coach in the game, maybe the best ever.

You cannot deny he does this.

MEbenhoe
03-06-2005, 07:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Its not even that, if you were such a fan of Duke, you would know how notorious Coach K is at intimidating and harassing refs to get the calls leaning his way. It is what makes him the best coach in the game, maybe the best ever.

You cannot deny he does this.

[/ QUOTE ]

you're missing the point. Whatever coach k has done in the past, whatever calls have gone duke's way in the past, doesnt change the fact that the refs blew it today.

mmbt0ne
03-06-2005, 07:59 PM
Explain how this is a double foul if anyone but a Dukie is on top.

http://www.truthaboutduke.com/jj_gt.jpg

MEbenhoe
03-06-2005, 08:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Explain how this is a double foul if anyone but a Dukie is on top.

[/ QUOTE ]

All you guys are doing is showing that you have zero reading comprehension ability.

Uston
03-06-2005, 08:05 PM
Whatever every one in the country hates Duke because they know they can't match them.

My team owns your team and I still hate Duke.

mmbt0ne
03-06-2005, 08:12 PM
You're bitching about the refs. No one is denying that they probably messed things up (I didn't watch the game, I was watching golf). All I'm saying is that now you know what it's like to be on the shaft end of some bad calls.

MEbenhoe
03-06-2005, 08:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Whatever every one in the country hates Duke because they know they can't match them.

[/ QUOTE ]

meh uconn beat duke a couple times. Still Calhoun<Coach K, Gampel Pavilion<Cameron, Duke's 3 national championships in last 15 years > everybody

P.S. 8 Final Four's in the past 15 years as well

MEbenhoe
03-06-2005, 08:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You're bitching about the refs. No one is denying that they probably messed things up

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually thats where the whole argument started

mmbt0ne
03-06-2005, 08:17 PM
Well, I'm not saying the refs were good. Just that JJ seems a little frisky with my boy Ish.

MEbenhoe
03-06-2005, 08:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Well, I'm not saying the refs were good. Just that JJ seems a little frisky with my boy Ish.

[/ QUOTE ]

heat of battle, and can't say it was entirely unprovoked, man this has gotta be most posts i've ever had in a single day.

codewarrior
03-06-2005, 08:22 PM
Oops, I was wrong...

You doughnut punchers....... /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Go UNC! /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

hoyaboy1
03-06-2005, 08:23 PM
Well, Calhoun badly outcoached K last year, so maybe that < needs to turn around.

K is much better at recruiting and yelling at the refs than he is at gameday coaching at this point in his career.

JTG51
03-06-2005, 08:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's your best post ever.

MEbenhoe
03-06-2005, 08:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Well, Calhoun badly outcoached K last year, so maybe that < needs to turn around.

[/ QUOTE ]

K has more career wins, more national championships, and is a better recruiter. nuf said

Uston
03-06-2005, 08:28 PM
Actually, UConn has beaten Duke four straight. You're only remembering the Final Four beatings. Good thing for you K won't agree to a home and home with UConn or it would be worse.

hoyaboy1
03-06-2005, 08:30 PM
We are talking about today, not the past. K is not a great gameday coach anymore - he spends far more time screaming at the refs than he does actually coaching.

As for recruiting, I doubt there is really much of a difference. I think the Duke name is the only reason K does better, and the incoming talent gap isn't really that big anyway.

JTG51
03-06-2005, 08:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

K has more career wins, more national championships, and is a better recruiter. nuf said

[/ QUOTE ]

What about the fact that K always has the best talent but still can't beat Calhoun?

college_boy
03-06-2005, 08:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
We are talking about today, not the past. K is not a great gameday coach anymore - he spends far more time screaming at the refs than he does actually coaching.

As for recruiting, I doubt there is really much of a difference. I think the Duke name is the only reason K does better, and the incoming talent gap isn't really that big anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Duke name is better because of Coach K not the other way around. Also, he took a clearly inferior team today and played with the best in the nation. The guy can flat out coach, game day or not.

MEbenhoe
03-06-2005, 08:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
and the incoming talent gap isn't really that big anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

go check out Duke's recruiting class for next year.

hoyaboy1
03-06-2005, 08:44 PM
Well, Boateng is gonna be a huge bust, but Duke clearly has 2 better incoming players than UCONN, although I'd say UCONN has the 3-5. But on the other hand UCONN brought in more talent this year, since Livingston was never really gonna go to college.

And besides, if Duke brings in way more talent than UCONN, and K is a better coach . . .

Rob Blackburn
03-06-2005, 08:50 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v650/ruffneckrob/seniorsbeatduke.jpg

Seniors Celebrate

Beating Duke to win ACC regular season title outright, how can you not rush the court.

MEbenhoe
03-06-2005, 08:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Well, Boateng is gonna be a huge bust

[/ QUOTE ]

really? based off of what?

Well aside from opinions on who is gonna be a bust Duke has:

#1 PF Josh McRoberts
#2 C Eric Boateng
#3 PG Greg Paulus
Jamal Boykin 6'7" sf/pf tweener whos ranked as #19 PF

and possibly the best of the class an unranked SG from Lithuania (unranked because he's from Lithuania) who based on all information is basically a JJ Redick clone.

UConn has:

#1 C Andrew Bynum

a PF and SF about equal to Jamal Boykin (by far Duke's worst recruit this year.

The gap is HUGE

Could be a very good year next year with Redick, Williams, Dockery, Randolph, Nelson, and Melchionni all returning. Then add those 5 recruits to that core. Suddenly Duke again has amazing talent and amazing depth.

Clarkmeister
03-06-2005, 08:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Beating Duke to win ACC regular season title outright, how can you not rush the court.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's so bush. It's what schools like OSU or Mizzu do when their season is so meaningless that it's all they have left. It's not what a proud school like North Carolina does against a lower ranked team when favored by 7 at home.

It's a sign of just how much Duke has owned Carolina lately I guess. Still, I expect better from NC.

JTG51
03-06-2005, 08:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The gap is HUGE

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll ask again.

Given that Duke always has the best talent by a wide margin, why can't K beat Calhoun?

MEbenhoe
03-06-2005, 09:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The gap is HUGE

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll ask again.

Given that Duke always has the best talent by a wide margin, why can't K beat Calhoun?

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont think he always has the best talent by a wide margin. He didn't last year, he doesnt this year (and Duke is still a much better team than UConn this year). He will next year, and anything short of a national championship for Duke next year will be a huge disappointment.

JTG51
03-06-2005, 09:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The gap is HUGE

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll ask again.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont think he always has the best talent by a wide margin. He didn't last year, he doesnt this year (and Duke is still a much better team than UConn this year). He will next year, and anything short of a national championship for Duke next year will be a huge disappointment.

[/ QUOTE ]

How about '99 when Duke was supposed to be the best college team ever?

DukeSucks
03-06-2005, 10:11 PM
Another great game in this series. It doesn't matter who is supposed to win, it usually ends up being a close game. I'll probably end up dying from a heart attack during one of these games. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

DukeSucks
03-06-2005, 10:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
not what a proud school like North Carolina does against a lower ranked team when favored by 7 at home.

It's a sign of just how much Duke has owned Carolina lately I guess. Still, I expect better from NC.

[/ QUOTE ]

That kind of surprised me too. I think it is mainly because it's such a heated rivalry, they're only eight miles apart, and Duke has owned them lately. I participated in two of those myself (both Duke). Both times Duke was ranked above us, but we were still ranked. That game is just so emotional.

BTW, I also was on the field twice when the goalposts were torn down (both GT). One was semi-legit, the other was because Mack Brown made some stupid remark the week before, and everyone used that as an excuse to storm the field after a meaningless win.

So basically, I agree that it should be reserved for major upsets. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Benjamin
03-06-2005, 10:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Seniors Celebrate

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah. It's about the season and the journey these guys have been on over the last 4 years, not just about this victory.

Sweet game, hard fought on both sides. I think y'all overplayed the role of the refs in the last minutes, though I'll admit there was a couple of homer calls in the second half.

I'll remind you, though, that the refs always play a big role in these games, and the foul trouble of Carolina in the last match was huge, with a couple of touch fouls limiting McCants' minutes a big theme of the game.

So, I won't feel bad that it swung Carolina's way this time.

Man, it feels good to be back on top. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

B.

Uston
03-06-2005, 11:06 PM
http://www.hoopscooponline.com/members/spring2001-toprecruitingclasses.html

Scroll down a bit (#55). I think Jim Calhoun is a better judge of talent than whatever halfwit put together the rankings you cite.

Benjamin
03-06-2005, 11:33 PM
A couple of favorite moments from the game:

Jackie Manuel's first half steal and break-away dunk ... with a James Worthy leg flair.

Sean May out on the fast break leaping to catch the outlet pass ... and coming down on Redick's face. /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Well, Manuel stayed out of foul trouble, and had an excellent game. Scott couldn't connect from outside, though ... and neither could anyone else. So, it was too close for comfort. Sean May was absolutely a work horse on both ends of the court. 26 points and 24 rebounds. Wow.

B.

Benjamin
03-06-2005, 11:56 PM
http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/20/204680.jpg
One of May's 24 boards.

http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/20/204682.jpg
Marvin Williams blocks Randolf's dunk attempt. Freshman of the year? Will he be back? How badly did Sheldon Williams pwwn Marvin? I think Sheldon had 4 blocks on the baby boy.

http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/20/204686.jpg

The General, Raymond Felton.

http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/20/204701.jpg
Jawad Williams finally gets to celebrate a big season. He's a class act. NBA, here he comes. Can he stick in the big leagues?

http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/20/204702.jpg
Hate to see these guys go. From 8-20 to 26-3 ... what a ride.

B.

Clarkmeister
03-07-2005, 12:08 AM
BTW, the more I see the highlights, the more I am totally baffled that a foul wasn't called in Reddick's last shot. He basically got tackled.

Benjamin
03-07-2005, 12:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
BTW, the more I see the highlights, the more I am totally baffled that a foul wasn't called in Reddick's last shot. He basically got tackled.

[/ QUOTE ]

Officials hate to 'decide the game' by calling a foul on the final shot. Witness the Wake/NC State game for another example.

In real time it seemed to me that Reddick was being very tightly guarded, with no obvious/clear foul. I'm not surprised if replays show some contact. <shrug>

B.

MEbenhoe
03-07-2005, 01:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Finally someone with some common sense

Clarkmeister
03-07-2005, 01:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I did post it at the time it happened too. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

nothumb
03-07-2005, 01:25 AM
Maybe the officials finally got tired of him leaning in to people trying to draw fouls, even during time-outs.

Seriously, that kid does that soooo much and gets so many ridiculous, ticky-tack fouls.

I would too if I shot like 300% from the free-throw line, I guess.

NT

MEbenhoe
03-07-2005, 01:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
http://www.hoopscooponline.com/members/spring2001-toprecruitingclasses.html

Scroll down a bit (#55). I think Jim Calhoun is a better judge of talent than whatever halfwit put together the rankings you cite.

[/ QUOTE ]

check it out for yourself:

http://scouthoops.scout.com/

They're as spot on as it gets when it comes to this stuff. Not exactly half-wits.

Uston
03-07-2005, 01:37 AM
Then would you bet me $1,000 that Marcus Johnson has a better college career than Jamal Boykin?

Besides, last year should have taught you that you shouldn't crow about recruiting classes until after the deadline to declare for the NBA Draft.

MEbenhoe
03-07-2005, 01:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Then would you bet me $1,000 that Marcus Johnson has a better college career than Jamal Boykin?

[/ QUOTE ]

no because marcus johnson will play more of a role on his college team than boykin ever will. boykin is their 5th best recruit this year. prob wont even hit the floor this year.

Rob Blackburn
03-07-2005, 04:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I got home from picking up my brother at the airport and we rewatched the game. I slowed down all the foul calls that weren't blatant and alot of plays that seemed close including Redicks final shot.

The game was pretty evenly called were there spots where both teams got away or gained advantage by calls sure. But they by no means gave it away to UNC, Duke did that on their own by letting them go on the 11-0 run.

The only one that seemed inconclusive is the phantom timeout call. I'm not even sure what happend in that whole scrum. It looks like a side Carolina guy motions for the TO maybe, I always thought if you slid with the ball its a travel(my brother informs me this is no longer the rule), Melchioni def. breaks up the play(did he foul Felton on the deck?), no Duke player ever had it tied up though to get the jump. That whole series is just bizarre.

The final shot by Redick is also obscured somewhat but it looks like he was trying his fake fade shot that gets alot of people fouls with grazing contact, only there was no contact the shot was clean. His shot didn't move at all so any pre-shot contact was most likely not there. I don't know where your getting the tackling from, I'm trying to find a photo of his shot, tackling thats just crazy talk.
If it was a tackle K would have said something about it post-game, here is what he said....On what he had set up in his final possession:
"Well we had (J.J.) off of a couple of screens and we got a good look. It was in and out. So, that was a good thing, and then we got another one. We were going to win the game, and went with our best player to win it. We'll do that again if we ever have a chance to be in a situation like that."

The biggest winner in the game was Sheldan Williams about half of his blocks were clean, he should have fouled out.

A big miss-call was also the little tangle on the baseline where Felton and a Dukie(Nelson?) were fighting for the loose ball, which happend to be at a pretty key moment for the Heels. The ball blatantly went out on the Duke player, but it got called Duke ball.

Coach K was working the officials hard, for a little guy like him he is one intimidating bitch.

nothumb
03-07-2005, 04:33 AM
Good call on the Felton play, I saw that and was pretty livid. That was in the middle of that 9-0 Duke run and it seemed like Williams and May were getting hammered whenever they tried to shoot during that same time period.

NT

Rob Blackburn
03-07-2005, 04:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]

The only one that seemed inconclusive is the phantom timeout call. I'm not even sure what happend in that whole scrum. It looks like a side Carolina guy motions for the TO maybe, I always thought if you slid with the ball its a travel(my brother informs me this is no longer the rule), Melchioni def. breaks up the play(did he foul Felton on the deck?), no Duke player ever had it tied up though to get the jump. That whole series is just bizarre.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just saw wide angle on this on ESPNews. Well three Heels make the TO motion, the whole thing is its not clear if Felton has control of the ball.

hoyaboy1
03-07-2005, 05:51 AM
Rivals is a much better site. And trust me, Boateng is gonna stink. He has no strength and no competetive fire. He will not fit in at a top program. And I agreed that Duke was bringing in more talent this year - but you conveniently ignored last year when Gay + Price came in.

ethan
03-07-2005, 08:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
A big miss-call was also the little tangle on the baseline where Felton and a Dukie(Nelson?) were fighting for the loose ball, which happend to be at a pretty key moment for the Heels. The ball blatantly went out on the Duke player, but it got called Duke ball.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the way it looked to me, too. And Redick was fouled at the end. /images/graemlins/smile.gif Williams may have gotten away with a foul or two on a block, but he also got at least one foul called on what looked to me like a clean block (his 4th foul in particular, I think).

I don't particularly care about either team, but I like the rivalry. Duke-UNC is always worth watching.

Jason Strasser
03-07-2005, 08:27 AM
Read my game commentary.

my story (http://www.chronicle.duke.edu/vnews/display.v/ART/2005/03/07/422c45216c66b?in_archive=1)

It was so sweet to be there. I had a little trouble keeping my emotions in check in the press box, but its something i'll never forget despite the Duke loss.

Benjamin
03-07-2005, 09:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, that one sucked. I was verry pissed. And without seeing replays or having TIVO, it was hard to say on some of those Sheldon blocks, but it's tough to block 2 or 3 Marvin Williams dunk attempts without a foul on even one.

B.

Benjamin
03-07-2005, 09:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Read my game commentary.

my story (http://www.chronicle.duke.edu/vnews/display.v/ART/2005/03/07/422c45216c66b?in_archive=1)

It was so sweet to be there. I had a little trouble keeping my emotions in check in the press box, but its something i'll never forget despite the Duke loss.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice story, Jason. Well done.

B.

Shajen
03-07-2005, 12:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I concur.

One thing though, Coach K needs to sit Reddick more. He's one helluva conditioned athlete, but he's wearing down.

How well the really shallow bench steps up is going to determine how far the Devils go this year.

Tough loss for your boys Clark. Some would say it builds character. I say it just shows you can be beat.

It'll make them hungry. Who do they play next? I'm guessing Ill by 30.

Rob Blackburn
03-07-2005, 02:33 PM
Great write-up.

You really hit the nail on the head with the rebounding difference.

This was the real key of the game, UNC almost doubled them up on boards, if Duke grabs 3-4 more, thats probably the ball game.

Free-throw shooting is the other critical difference, but I think it plays less of a role than the boards.

Shajen
03-07-2005, 02:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Read my game commentary.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice article Jason. Have you interviewed Reddick any? I'm curious to see what his response to the Sportscenter piece on him being heckled is now that it's been shown. I'm sure he's catching more heat than usual now. (Although I didn't hear it during the UNC game.)

Clarkmeister
03-07-2005, 05:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]

B.

[/ QUOTE ]

Illinois still #1 in both polls. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Clarkmeister
03-07-2005, 07:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

B.

[/ QUOTE ]

Illinois still #1 in both polls. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Both polls official now. Illinois getting 2/3rds of the first place votes.

Benjamin
03-07-2005, 10:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Both polls official now. Illinois getting 2/3rds of the first place votes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, not surprised. Expected really. Still, top of the ACC, #2 in the country, and likely #1 seed feels real good. Especially after the 8-20 season only 3 years ago. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

bugstud
03-07-2005, 10:57 PM
apparently 1/3 of the pollsters think this is football