PDA

View Full Version : my sit and go poker system...

pocket10s
03-04-2005, 11:28 PM
ok, i've been playing low limit sit and go tournaments on party poker for alil over 2 years now and have my my fair share of money.

and i have to say, the "sit and go strategy" by Chris Moneymaker has to be the best system i have ever seen.

it incorperates every aspect of the game from the start of the game till there is only u and another left fighting for first and second place.

i saw this at http://pokervan.com/sng.htm .... a fairley new site (not all that great)

well jsut want to let you guys know about this strategy and u should try it out for urself.

if you choose to try this system.... REPLY WITH RESULTS PLEASE!!!

SlapJack
03-04-2005, 11:47 PM
155% ROI
100% ITM

Where do i send my check?

cyorg
03-04-2005, 11:48 PM
that's pretty much what i do already. it works very well.

bweiser8311962
03-05-2005, 12:44 AM
It's a good read, but it's not rocket science and I disagree totally honestly.

My strategy - and it works - is to see as many flops as possible at the first two levels when there is no raise with cards like 7/8, 9/10, etc. It's the best way to double up, particularly at the cheaper buy-ins. The flop comes 4/5/6 rainbow and the pocket aces can't help but go all-in. No one at a low level knows how to read a board.

A-Baum
03-05-2005, 12:49 AM
I like much of the article, but it's obviously far from a complete tournament strategy. I have one question about #9:

"9. As you get near the cash, and particularly on the bubble (one more player to bust out before everybody is in the money), many players will become extremely tight and play very conservatively, unwilling to be the last one to bust out before the money. Take advantage of this - you should be able to steal blinds frequently. This will set you up with a good stack once you've gotten into the money."

I have found this to not be necessarily true, especially when you're the short stack with 700 chips and the other 3 average 2500+. At this point you have to go all in next time you're the BB or else you're down to 500 or 600 chips and basically need to double up 3 times in a row to have a chance at winning.

ZebraAss
03-05-2005, 12:54 AM
...I hate Chris Moneymaker.

omega21
03-05-2005, 01:00 AM
I agree with bweiser.......I think it is best to see as many flops as possible during the first two levels. One or two big hands here and you can cruise to the final 3

The Yugoslavian
03-05-2005, 01:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I agree with bweiser.......I think it is best to see as many flops as possible during the first two levels. One or two big hands here and you can cruise to the final 3

[/ QUOTE ]

I just go allin with every hand levels 1-3. Then, if I'm still alive I've already won. So I don't exactly agree....or disagree.

And as for the OP.....I'm not sure you can call this sytem, your system. As umm.....it's not.....it's Chris Moneymakers.

Yugoslav
(Whose 'fair share' of money is -9%)

sng-sam
03-05-2005, 01:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
It's a good read, but it's not rocket science and I disagree totally honestly.

My strategy - and it works - is to see as many flops as possible at the first two levels

[/ QUOTE ]

Can I invite you to play at pokerstars.com using this strategy? I need to make my car payment. I think you can help.

seriously I suggest a search for the thread by aleomagus on how to beat the $10 sng's at party. It translates well to all sites and could improve your game. I think your strategy will only work if you hit a big flop against another big hand. otherwise you bleed chips, and are tempted to play hands you don't hit big when you hit them little.

Spekkio
03-05-2005, 02:30 AM
That may or may not work. If you keep playing hands like 78 suited or A6 suited, you MIGHT catch a good flop and double up. More than likely, however, you'll find yourself short-stacked by the time it reaches levels 3-4, and then you're on edge. I agree with moneymaker that the best thing to do early on is to stick to premium hands. Steal a pot when you see the opportunity to, but other than that lay low. Besides, the average pot early on is not going to be that large compared to the average pots later on. It's just not worth your chips to keep trying to draw to the best hand. Yes, in cash games in the long run this makes sense to do, but in tourneys it does not. It costs too high a percentage of your stack to try to draw to flushes and straights with low or mid suited connectors.

I disagree how he says to play ppJ-pp8. I like to raise those pre-flop, because if your opponent misses the flop (which they do most of the time) you have the winning hand and can take it down. If you don't raise pre-flop with middle pp, your opponent won't lay down his hand as easily.

Then again, I'll also raise with 78 offsuit occassionally if I think I can steal the pot on the flop (or flop a monster, which would be even better).

lastchance
03-05-2005, 02:38 AM
While MM's strategy here is sound, I believe he doesn't really delve into how to play after L4 and in the later stages, which, IMHO, are much harder to play.

stupidsucker
03-05-2005, 03:11 AM
MM plays SnGs?

or did he just write a book on them?
Or did someone else pay him to slap his name on something he had nothing to do with?

lastchance
03-05-2005, 03:14 AM
Dunno, and it doesn't really matter. I didn't see anything glaringly wrong with it. Looking back at it, it isn't really a system as much as some good random advice.

I particularly liked this bit:
5. When you make a bet with what you believe to be the best hand, bet enough so that an opponent with the most obvious draw would be making a mistake to call. For instance, suppose you have QQ, and the flop is J-7-3 with two spades. You are concerned about the possibility of a spade flush draw being out against you. The probability of that person hitting a flush is about 20% (one in five times) on the turn card. Make sure you bet more than 1/5th of what somebody could win from you if he hits his flush on the turn.

pocket10s
03-05-2005, 05:02 AM
wow, everybody has something bad to say about moneymaker's strategy... but i think its almost flawless

looks like hes a great online poker player, however when it comes to real games ( wsop 2004 ) he totally sucked... for example when his pocket 8's went against someones a's and won, and another time when he rivered phil ivey for 11th place..... ivey would of won the whole thing if he would of won that one hand in my mind....

byronkincaid
03-05-2005, 05:29 AM
Forums - sit n gos - no posts.

How long has your site been up?

bweiser8311962
03-05-2005, 05:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
That may or may not work. If you keep playing hands like 78 suited or A6 suited, you MIGHT catch a good flop and double up. More than likely, however, you'll find yourself short-stacked by the time it reaches levels 3-4, and then you're on edge.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK. The tournaments I play you start with 2000 chips. If you play 3-4 hands in levels 1 and 2 you are talking about 200 chips max ... hardly leaving you shortstacked. You play them cheap, hopefully in position, and you fold to big pushes. This is the one thing I like from SuperSystem ... If you can see a flop for cheap, it's worth it.

As for the rest, sure, you can sit there and be a robot and push when you get aces and kings. And while you are waiting, that's when you are getting knocked down in chips to a point where you have to play desperate poker.

Hellmuth talks about only playing the top 10 hands. Good luck waiting for those in a SNG, especially speed and turbos, which is all I prefer to play.

raptor517
03-05-2005, 05:53 AM
im pretty sure most people are talking about party's structure with 800 or 1000 chips.

viennagreen
03-05-2005, 06:20 AM
what site do you start with 2000 chips at?

omega21
03-05-2005, 11:27 AM
Exactly bweiser......In my earlier post I wasn't talking about playing every hand. Only suited connectors, low pkt pairs, KJ QT and other marginal hands....out of position. And I agree that in tournaments you don't have the roll to chase hands, but whay not take a chance to flop a monster when the blinds are so cheap. Oh and I have been playing on full tilt lately and the sng's there you start with 1500 in chips at 15/30 and the blinds go up every 6 minutes.

eagle
03-05-2005, 11:40 AM
You forgot to mention that you will fold KK or AA if you are not first-in during level 1 or 2 because your chances of rivering quads are reduced (The Lorinda defense declined).

valenzuela
03-05-2005, 11:48 AM
That sites sucks. I could do a better site by just adding a link to here.

Zelcious
03-05-2005, 12:06 PM
Do you actually think that anyone can win WSOP without getting really lucky a few times ?
Just because you did get lucky a few times doesn't mean you played bad.

Spekkio
03-05-2005, 01:19 PM
Don't get me wrong. I'll play any pp, because that's how you double up -- flopping a set to someone's top pair or top two. But I won't play 78 suited from out of position hoping to get a lot of callers, and even if you do, you always gotta wonder does someone have a higher flush draw?

I don't stick to Hellmuth's "top 10 hands." But I have to have a reasonable sized pot and no bet to play a crappy starting hand, or a gutshot draw. You can't do it too often though, because (at the tourneys I play in) you start with 1k chips....3-4 hands of calling $20 raises you can end up at $900. Plus, you're pretty much not gonna flop the straight or flush, so then you gotta factor in the cost of drawing the hand. Playing a 4 flusher to the river and missing can easily get you down to 500 or less chips.

valenzuela
03-05-2005, 02:51 PM
I stick to Valenzuelas top 5 hands for raising and Valenzuelas top 10 hands for calling raises and Valenzuelas top 16 hands for limping, this ranking is for early sit and go play :
1)AA
2)KK
3)QQ
4)AKs
5)AKo
6)JJ
7)TT
8)99
9)88
10)77
11)AQs
12)66
13)55
14)44
15)33
16)22

pocket10s
03-05-2005, 02:58 PM
Whoever said that that www.pokervan.com (http://www.pokervan.com) was my site>>>>???? i could do a better one with my eyes closed...

pocket10s
03-05-2005, 03:32 PM
does such a site exist????

bweiser8311962
03-05-2005, 05:33 PM
goldenpalacepoker.com starts with 2000 chips

pocket10s
03-11-2005, 05:31 PM
hey again... alot of bashing but no replies on results... noone tried the system out yet??? or is it just not an effective system???

ZebraAss
03-11-2005, 05:35 PM
...I hate chris moneymaker

spicychili
03-11-2005, 06:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
hey again... alot of bashing but no replies on results... noone tried the system out yet??? or is it just not an effective system???

[/ QUOTE ]

It doesnt seem like anyone over in Poker Theory (where you also posted this) (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=genpok&Number=1880759&Foru m=,All_Forums,&Words=&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Main=1 880759&Search=true&where=&Name=29380&daterange=&ne werval=&newertype=&olderval=&oldertype=&bodyprev=# Post1880759)
has any results either.

pokermaster79
03-11-2005, 09:11 PM
dont know and don't care if this is spam or not

but the system is only effective for beginners and intermedite players. nothing i havn't seen before

ReDeYES88
03-11-2005, 10:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

. ..i /images/graemlins/heart.gif chris moneymaker. .. .

. . .do you see why?. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Cry Me A River
03-12-2005, 09:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]

I stick to Valenzuelas top 5 hands for raising and Valenzuelas top 10 hands for calling raises and Valenzuelas top 16 hands for limping, this ranking is for early sit and go play :

[/ QUOTE ]

IMHO, any system which doesn't consider position is horribly flawed.

Limping with 22 UTG, particularly at an aggressive table, is just bleeding chips. OTOH, against low buy-in players who will limp with any weak ace, I'm limping with ATs on the button all day.

zipppy
03-12-2005, 10:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

. ..i /images/graemlins/heart.gif chris moneymaker. .. .

. . .do you see why?. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

lol...nice use of the /images/graemlins/heart.gif
>ZIP