PDA

View Full Version : QJ flops top pair in a difficult situation...

hmkpoker
03-04-2005, 09:42 AM
Villian is 30%/6% with fairly low PFA.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is Button with Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP3 calls, CO calls, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB :#A500AF(Villian)/ raises</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, MP3 calls, CO calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (12.50 SB) Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Villian bets</font>, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds

What is your plan and why?

27offsooot
03-04-2005, 10:11 AM
I would call down unless I improve or if i'm checked to on the turn, bet and call a raise, and then fold the river UI. If c/red on the river I would fold. I think raising is useless and u have 5 outs if u are behind. I would rather let him keep betting AK or JJ and extract the most if u are ahead. I know half the forum will reply to raise the flop for info, but i don't think that is right.

DeeJ
03-04-2005, 10:30 AM
This is a great situation, not a difficult one. You suddenly lost 4 players all who had put in 2 SB before the flop, and you're heads up with top pair!

Raise for information, if you get 3-bet you can probably even call down for a jack or queen which may win you the pot.

If called you may get a free card, which you could take at risk of the check-raise. River call a bet or value bet to a check unless it's an Ace/King in which case check behind. That's my plan. so shoot me already /images/graemlins/smile.gif

krishanleong
03-04-2005, 10:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I would call down unless I improve or if i'm checked to on the turn, bet and call a raise, and then fold the river UI. If c/red on the river I would fold. I think raising is useless and u have 5 outs if u are behind. I would rather let him keep betting AK or JJ and extract the most if u are ahead.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is good advice.

Krishan

einbert
03-04-2005, 10:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I know half the forum will reply to raise the flop for info, but i don't think that is right.

[/ QUOTE ]

Call down UI.

krishanleong
03-04-2005, 10:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Raise for information,

[/ QUOTE ]

Ugg, this is the worst reason to raise. It looks like you are trying to raise so he can dump a worse hand so you can win the least. And if he has a hand you lose to, he gets to 3-bet you and lost the most. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I like the other plan.

Krishan

chief444
03-04-2005, 10:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I know half the forum will reply to raise the flop for info, but i don't think that is right.

[/ QUOTE ]
Of course they will. But I agree with you.

27offsooot
03-04-2005, 10:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Of course they will. But I agree with you.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's only 25% so far! I think that others will refrain from arguing this though now.

chief444
03-04-2005, 10:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
It's only 25% so far! I think that others will refrain from arguing this though now.

[/ QUOTE ]
Good! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Since we put an early stop to that let me add also that the preflop limp is fine and obvious before that inevitable debate begins. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

SlantNGo
03-04-2005, 12:42 PM
I like a raise here for several reasons... possibility of a free showdown, chance to take down the pot right now (even a single overcard is a threat because of the size of the pot), and you have 5 pretty clean outs so you're not in terrible shape even if you're behind.

But what do I know, I'm still a micro /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Milky
03-04-2005, 12:47 PM
The flop isn't very threatening. I may just call the bet and raise a harmless turn card.

Rudbaeck
03-04-2005, 04:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The flop isn't very threatening. I may just call the bet and raise a harmless turn card.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then worse hands fold and better hands three-bet you. Calling down is SOP here.