PDA

View Full Version : All in from the BB to pick up pot.

Mikey
02-27-2005, 04:30 AM
TAJ MAHAL $300 +40 NL HE tournament.
Start with $5000 in chips
First level $25-50
Second Level $50 -100
3rd Level $ $100- $200 / $25 ante

3rd Level
Stack sizes are around $400 to $7000 around the table.

Blinds are $100 - $200 with a $25 ante.

4 people fold MP with a stack of around $3000 limps for $200.

Folded to Button who is loose preflop but passive postflop limps for $200, STack size is around $7000

The SB completes for $200, Stack size around $4000

I have around $5000 in chips.
I have K2o and go all in to pick up the pot.
Good play or is it too sophisticated?

crookedhat99
02-27-2005, 04:52 AM
thats a grinder-esque play

ZBTHorton
02-27-2005, 04:58 AM
It's an aggressive sophisticated play.

I think it's a better play in one or two more rounds when you may pick up a few more chips.

Jdanz
02-27-2005, 05:39 AM
what does that mean?

JaBlue
02-27-2005, 05:44 AM
I'd rather do it with Q2 and bigger blinds in relation to your stack.

AlwaysWrong
02-27-2005, 08:21 AM
I don't really see how this is sophisticated. Looks like a bluff, is a bluff, probably won't get called anyways. I don't mind it but as the others said I'd like to wait a level. K2o is also one of the worst hands to make this play with, though your cards are of secondary concern, obviously.

kuro
02-27-2005, 10:24 AM
I don't like it at all. You can accomplish the same thing by raising to 1K and then betting out on the flop if you get a caller without risking so many chips.

ZootMurph
02-27-2005, 11:27 AM
Nice to get a few extra chips, but you are getting undeterminably large odds with a free look at the flop. Why give up those odds for a small take?

Anyway, my personal opinion is that I don't make plays from BB with limpers. Your implied odds are too large to screw with... you put nothing in with the chance to take ALL of someone's chips. Basically, you pass up an opportunity to make a lot of chips for a few chips.

Of course, Ben Franklin said "A chip in the stack is worth 2 in the pot", or something like that /images/graemlins/smile.gif

betgo
02-27-2005, 11:32 AM
K2o is a horrible trash hand. with 72o you are less likely to be dominated if called. I would want to make this play with a real hand so that you would likely be close to a coin flip if called. Two cards 10 or higher, a pair, or a suited connector of gapper would be good. Sometime like K8s would play much better allin.

Mikey
02-27-2005, 05:23 PM
when people limp, they don't have strong hands, when the blinds are $100-$200 and with a $25 ante, I think open limping is horrible, you are just asking for someone to take your money away.

I figured that when the button and SB limped here is a great chance to pick up the pot uncontested. I'm not playing my cards here, i'm playing everyone elses cards and the situation.

I feel that this is a great spot to pick up the pot uncontested and move on with the next hand. If you think about it, here is a chance that I could have picked up a monster from the BB and pushing all in because I don't want anyone to see a flop. Checking here I think is ok, but I feel pushing all in preflop with a chance to pick up this pot is a much better play by picking up all the dead money and this pays for my next few rounds and blinds.

Does this make sense??

the first limper called and button deliberated for about 30 seconds and counted out his chips and called the all in for about 70% of his stack with JTo, the SB folded.

I was pretty shocked to see he would call with that hand, but then again I was actually shocked to see that I was a favorite in the hand, but the play was made entirely not to get any calls and pick up this pot uncontested.

M.B.E.
02-27-2005, 06:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I have around $5000 in chips.
I have K2o and go all in to pick up the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]
Assuming your image is fairly tight I think this play is okay, probably better than checking your option (which is what most people would do).

However, even better might be to raise to 1400 and fold if reraised. For one thing, the raise to 1400 looks a lot like AA or KK, while the allin looks more like AK.

betgo
02-27-2005, 06:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
when people limp, they don't have strong hands, when the blinds are $100-$200 and with a $25 ante, I think open limping is horrible, you are just asking for someone to take your money away.

[/ QUOTE ]

True, but people who make big overbet pushes at limpers with K2o are just asking for someone to play for a limpraise.

Bataglin
02-27-2005, 06:41 PM
Sophisticated moves are suicide against unsophisticated opponents.

betgo
02-27-2005, 07:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Sophisticated moves are suicide against unsophisticated opponents.

[/ QUOTE ]

One time I pushed from the BB (for about twice the pot)against 5 limpers in an online supersatellite with ATo. I got called by someone with A6o and someone else who limped with two limpers already in the pot with AQo.

You thought it worked out well because the fish called with JTo. Someone like that is probably going to limp with KJ or 99 and will definately call your push with those hands.

A_PLUS
02-27-2005, 09:47 PM
The funny thing is. My bet is the limper probably wouldnt have called a 1200$ bet. Something about hearing "all-in" makes people lose their minds. Especially for players that are not used to MTT structure with antes, etc. They love a chance to push all-in, it makes them feel safe.

That being said, there are hands that good players may limp with, and then call an overbet all in. The overbet doesnt look like AA or KK. My thoughts would be 77-QQ or AK. If I have a KQ, I might call. Depending on my read and the tourny situation.

So to me, unless you are outclassed skill wise, I dont like the risk reward composition of this play. It isnt a bad play, I just think that you can find better plays with less risk.

betgo
02-28-2005, 12:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
That being said, there are hands that good players may limp with, and then call an overbet all in. The overbet doesnt look like AA or KK. My thoughts would be 77-QQ or AK. If I have a KQ, I might call.

[/ QUOTE ]

Like AA or KK. A lot of people limp with those hands in early position and they will generally call an overbet push from the BB with them. A lot of people limp from early position with AJ or TT.

When you make this move from the BB, it looks like a steal. It could be made with AT-AK, 77-QQ, or KQ-KJ. It could be a straight steal with a suited gapper or something. Most people would not suspect total garbage like K2o.

Besides which, as discussed, fish may not raise with pretty big hands, but be willing to call raises with them, or they may limp with medium hands and call raises with them.

This business of punishing limpers with pushes can be overdone. I had a discussion in this forum with a person who made a play like this on me. I had 11xBB UTG and limped with AJo. My opponent with 6xBB pushed from late position with K8o. I reraised allin. With 11xBB, most hands I was going to play, I was going to limp. A raise pot commits me, and an open push is usually too dangerous. If I have a big pair I will probably limp too. I will generally fold UTG and limp with quality hands. There was no way that I would fold any hand I had limped with to that push, and I wouldn't limp with anything that was behind K8o. Someone else might have different standards, but that push was still a terrible play.

Sometimes I will push with junk against limpers, like when the SB open completes and I am in the BB. Sometimes an open limp from a big stack is made mainly to try to steal the pot later in the hand, so is easy to steal from preflop.

I like to exploit limpers by limping with them when I have speculative hands that play well multiway, such as small pairs and suited connectors.

schwza
02-28-2005, 11:57 AM
25x push = rarely a good idea.