PDA

View Full Version : Best Single Moment In Sports

MEbenhoe
02-24-2005, 11:07 AM
This is a spin off of Oski's post where he asked for the best regularly occuring moment in sports. What is your personal favorite moment in all of sports history.

I'm gonna have to say 2 here

1. Laettner's shot against Kentucky (for obvious reasons)

2. Bo Kimble's left-handed free throw

CptMisery
02-24-2005, 11:09 AM
The Immaculate Reception...nuff said.

Soul Daddy
02-24-2005, 11:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I broke my hand by punching a wall when this happened. Not my best moment.

I'll go with the 1998 Regional Final rematch when the Cats came back from down 17 with under 10 minutes remaining. Although Anthony Epps hitting the last second 3 to send the '97 championship game into OT is a close 2nd.

DMBFan23
02-24-2005, 11:22 AM
http://img64.exs.cx/img64/3922/asoxft9rx.jpg

peace yankees...you weren't missed.

Rushmore
02-24-2005, 11:24 AM
Gibson's home run.

Soul Daddy
02-24-2005, 11:25 AM
Also, the moment in my avatar was pretty sweet. The umps getting the call correct on Slappy was an omen.

thatpfunk
02-24-2005, 11:27 AM
Everytime I see "The Catch" I get goosebumps even though I wasn't even born at the time.

MEbenhoe
02-24-2005, 11:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Everytime I see "The Catch" I get goosebumps even though I wasn't even born at the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I get the same feeling every time I see the Kimble free throw, even though when it happened I was 5 and had no idea what the story was behind it.

wh1t3bread
02-24-2005, 11:45 AM
Being a huge the-sport-formerly-known-as-hockey fan I'm going to go with the 1980 US Miracle on Ice victory over Russia.

Yeti
02-24-2005, 11:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I get the same feeling every time I see the Kimble free throw, even though when it happened I was 5 and had no idea what the story was behind it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seeing as I'm English, yet curious, would either of you like to give me the story behind these? Thanks.

Frogistador
02-24-2005, 11:56 AM
my 2 greatest (Canadian) moments

With 1 minute left in the game, beautiful pass from Gretzky to Lemieux who scores and Canada beats the USSR 6-5 to win the Canada Cup in 1987.

CA-NA-DA! CA-NA-DA!

Ben Johnson smashes the 100m world record with a time of 9.79 in Seoul 1988!

CA-NA-DA! CA-na... hmmm...

MEbenhoe
02-24-2005, 11:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Seeing as I'm English, yet curious, would either of you like to give me the story behind these? Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

The story behind the Bo Kimble free throw is this:

Kimble and high school teammate Hank Gathers, both went on to play in college together, and had brought tiny Loyola Marymount into the college basketball spotlight in 1990. At the end of the season, Gathers collapsed on the court after a dunk and died an hour later from heart failure.

In the NCAA tournament that year the right handed Kimble in honor of his left-handed friend Gathers shot his first free throw left handed, swish.

P.S. They made a movie about the whole thing called "Final Shot: The Hank Gathers Story"

P.P.S. There's also a book by Bo Kimble called "For you, Hank: The story of Hank Gathers and Bo Kimble"

Yeti
02-24-2005, 12:05 PM
Thanks a lot chief. Good story.

Voltron87
02-24-2005, 12:06 PM
2003 ALCS 8th inning.

thatpfunk
02-24-2005, 12:16 PM
The Catch-

The young upstart 49ers, lead by 1st year starter Joe Montana, were playing the Dallas Cowboys, one of the most successful organizations of the past decade in a confrence championship game (1982).

The 49ers are down with about 3:00 to go. They drive down the field and with a 1:12(?) left are on the 12 yard line.

The play: Joe Montana is flushed out of the pocket and rolls right, chased by two defenders. He spots tight-end Dwight Clark crossing in the back of the end-zone. Falling backwards, as the rush closes in on him, he throws the ball high and to the back of the end zone. Afterwards he said he was trying to just put the ball out of anyones reach, out of bounds.

The defender guarding clark actually slows because the ball seemed so far out of bounds. Out of nowhere Clark leaps into the air and catches the pass with his fingertips and comes down in bounds. 49ers win and this play generally marks the beginning of their dynasty.

Replays of it are pretty awesome. The camera angle is from the back of the endzone so you see Joe release the ball and fall and Clark enters the frame out of nowhere and just soars. It is freaking awesome.

I just got all giddy writing this. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Yeti
02-24-2005, 12:24 PM
Sounds cool. Got an MPEG? Can't open Kazaa here at uni.

JTrout
02-24-2005, 12:28 PM
'86 Masters.

Nicklaus, at the age of 46, shoots 30 on the back nine (with a bogey at 12) to pass Norman, Kite, Ballesteros, and everyone else.

The roars grew with every putt made.

thatpfunk
02-24-2005, 12:30 PM
http://66.132.169.43/images/3153.jpg

No video, best I could find.

JPotMaster
02-24-2005, 12:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Miracle

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep

Duke
02-24-2005, 12:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Gibson's home run.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dodgers '88, Tigers '84, both, or a different Gibson?

~D

andyfox
02-24-2005, 12:55 PM
For the major professional sports:

Baseball: Cap Ripken's victory lap upon breaking Lou Gehrig's record

Basketball: The introduction of the 50 greatest players at the all-star game

Football: Janet Jackson's nipple exposure

Golf: The Watson/Nicklaus duel in the British Open where they lapped the field.

Tennis: The 4th set tiebreaker between Borg and McEnroe that went something like 19-17.

Hockey: When they definitely, officially cancelled the season.

Patrick del Poker Grande
02-24-2005, 12:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Am I wrong, or was this stripped because he was a cheating motherfucker steroids user? Quite an event to be proud of.

Patrick del Poker Grande
02-24-2005, 12:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Being a huge the-sport-formerly-known-as-hockey fan I'm going to go with the 1980 US Miracle on Ice victory over Russia.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'll second this one. I'm also a big fan of a few moments in the '91 World Series - that catch by Kirby Puckett was aweseome.

sfer
02-24-2005, 01:03 PM
For a lot of people my age who grew up near New York it will always be, "Behind the bag....it gets through Buckner! Here comes Knight and the Mets win it!"

miajag81
02-24-2005, 01:06 PM
Anyone remember the Maryland-Duke basketball game a couple years ago (the year MD went on to win the championship) when Steve Blake came out of nowhere and stole the ball from Jason Williams right before halftime and made an easy layup? I was in the front row about 10 feet from them. That was my favorite sports moment of all time.

A couple of others that come to mind:
- Jermaine Lewis' kickoff return in the Ravens' Superbowl win
- Ray Lewis' INT return for a touchdown against the Titans in the playoffs that same year
- Nolan Ryan beating the living hell out of Robin Ventura
- Jermaine O'Neal knocking that retard out cold in the basketbrawl earlier this year

JTrout
02-24-2005, 01:07 PM
Not exactly a single moment, but I enjoyed it when Ricky Henderson broke one of the base-stealing records, pulled second base up and held it over his head proclaiming, "Today, I am the man."

And while this was happening, Nolan Ryan was in the process of stealing the headlines by pitching his 5th, or 6th, or 7th, no hitter.

Sorry the details are sketchy, but I /images/graemlins/smile.gif when I think of it.

wh1t3bread
02-24-2005, 01:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
For a lot of people my age who grew up near New York it will always be, "Behind the bag....it gets through Buckner! Here comes Knight and the Mets win it!"

[/ QUOTE ]

Being a huge Mets fan this is second to the Miracle in my book. Mookie!

offTopic
02-24-2005, 01:09 PM
"The band is on the field!!!"

Dangergirl
02-24-2005, 01:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm going to have to second this. Then again I'm also a big Duke fan.

Shajen
02-24-2005, 01:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I'm going to have to second this. Then again I'm also a big Duke fan.

[/ QUOTE ]

I stand by my earlier assessment.

Dangergirl
02-24-2005, 01:21 PM
lol shajen /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Shajen
02-24-2005, 01:25 PM
I had a talk with my wife, she said no.

So, I guess it'll just have to be open admiration from here on out.

Damn.

/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Frogistador
02-24-2005, 01:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Am I wrong, or was this stripped because he was a cheating motherfucker steroids user? Quite an event to be proud of.

[/ QUOTE ]

Read my post again:

>>>

CA-NA-DA! CA-na... hmmm...

<<<

It was the greatest moment in Canadian Sports history for about one day. Then the most shameful since then.

This said however, all the people who broke the 100m record since then have also been taking some form of steroid.

DukeSucks
02-24-2005, 01:26 PM
Two I always liked were Webber's timeout in '93, and Jordan's shot against Ehlo where he fades across to the left, then jumps up and celebrates. I can't even remember much about that game, but I've seen that replay a million times.

Utah
02-24-2005, 01:28 PM
Mike Eruzione's goal and his dance afterwards. Nothing to me even comes close, expect for many the celebration after the win and maybe every player taking the stand. I still get chills everytime I see clips of the game.

A big distant second is Kirby Pucketts game 6 homerun off charle liebrandt in 91. Third is probably Gibsons homerun.

MEbenhoe
02-24-2005, 01:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This said however, all the people who broke the 100m record since then have also been taking some form of steroid.

[/ QUOTE ]

What about Maurice Greene and whats his name from Canada that held the record before him? Neither have ever been thought to be on steroids. Note Maurice Greene was one of the few premier sprinters who didn't get busted during the steroid crackdown.

bosoxfan
02-24-2005, 01:38 PM
I'm not a big hockey fan but how about this:

http://espn.starwave.com/i/magazine/new/bobby_orr_1970.jpg

Duke
02-24-2005, 01:39 PM
One that really got me was when Derek Redmond pulled his hamstring in a 400M quarterfinal, or semi or something at the '96 Summer Games. And he didn't just stop, he hobbled all the way to the finish line and his dad came down to help him for the last 150M or so.

~D

NotMitch
02-24-2005, 01:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This is a spin off of Oski's post where he asked for the best regularly occuring moment in sports. What is your personal favorite moment in all of sports history.

[/ QUOTE ]

Larry Bird stealing the ball.

Eurotrash
02-24-2005, 01:46 PM
I'm sure many will disagree, but this is definitely one of my favorites

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v229/theglenlivet/masters.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v229/theglenlivet/masters2.jpg

I definitely got a bit misty-eyed watching the back 9 comeback - incredible stuff.

Dominic
02-24-2005, 01:47 PM
miracle on ice, and it's not even close.

and I couldn't give a good goddamn about hockey, either.

M2d
02-24-2005, 01:48 PM
in 1990, Loyola Marymount seemed ready to make a run deep into the NCAA basketball tournament, led by their two stars Hank Gathers and Bo Kimble.
In early March, Gathers collapsed on the court and died of heart failure. Besides being teammates, Gathers and Kimble were also close friends. LMU still made it into the tourney, and Kimble honored his fallen friend's memory by shooting his first freethrow of each tournament game left handed (Gathers was left handed). IIRC, he made most of the left handed ones.

MicroBob
02-24-2005, 02:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"The band is on the field!!!"

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to rate this one pretty high. He's referencing the 1982 Cal v. Stanford game where Cal made several desperation laterals and returned the final kick-off for a game-winning touchdown, running through a crowd of trombone players to get there.

I don't know how the 1980 US Olympic hockey team qualfies as the greatest 'moment'.

Are we referring to Eruzione's goal (which came with 11 minutes left I believe)....or the final seconds in the US win over the Soviets...or the next day when the US won the gold-medal by defeating Finland (the game vs. the USSR was just the semi-final game)?

Both were great games...but which individual moment are we referring to here?

The Doug Flutie to Gerald Phelan miracle catch in 1984 vs. Miami has to rate pretty high. That only got shown about 9-zillion times when it happened.

The Immaculate Reception has to be way up there as well.

NCSt's miraculous championship winning basket and Valvano running all over the court is probably tops in college-hoops.

a close second would probably be Bo Kimble's "Hank Gathers tribute lefty FT".

Also Princeton's near-miss vs. Georgetown in the 16 vs 1 game in 1989. The final shot was partially blocked and G-Town escaped. It was still a great moment even though the underdog didn't prevail for how intense the whole situation was.

NBA probably Jordan's shot over Ehlo in the CHI vs. CLE playoff game 5.

MLB I guess the roller getting through Buckner in 86 or possibly Gibson's HR (which I think is a bit over-hyped actually).
Bill Mazeroski's HR in the 1960 W.S. or Willie Mays catch in the 1954 series deserve serious consideration.

Obviously Bobby Thompson's HR in the 1951 playoff series got the most air-play of them all (and still does) and it gets my vote for best moment in all of american sports history.

goofball
02-24-2005, 02:12 PM
there's really two categories here: sports moments in general, and ones that have personal meaning for you.

for the former category:
-miracle on ice
gives me goosebumps every time i hear that famous call, i wasn't alive and i hate hockey

-jesse owens rips up the berlin olympics
hitler was told to acknowledge all winners or no winners, he chose no winners because of owens

personal sports events

-Huskies win the 2003 Apple cup
my last one in seattle, we were huge underdogs, if the cougs won they were going to teh rose bowl. this is th eonly time i've ever been huggin and highfiving strangers in the stands.

-Paul Hamm wins all around gold in 2004 wiht a perfect high bar routine.
being an exgymnast i have a true appreciation for what he did.

Rick Diesel
02-24-2005, 02:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
in 1990, Loyola Marymount seemed ready to make a run deep into the NCAA basketball tournament, led by their two stars Hank Gathers and Bo Kimble.
In early March, Gathers collapsed on the court and died of heart failure. Besides being teammates, Gathers and Kimble were also close friends. LMU still made it into the tourney, and Kimble honored his fallen friend's memory by shooting his first freethrow of each tournament game left handed (Gathers was left handed). IIRC, he made most of the left handed ones.

[/ QUOTE ]

He made ALL of the left handed ones.

chaas4747
02-24-2005, 02:36 PM
One of my favorites.

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com/al/kc/Pinetar.JPG

Famous Pine Tar Bat.

Just love how Brett goes insane.

M2d
02-24-2005, 02:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
He made ALL of the left handed ones.

[/ QUOTE ]
Well,...I guess that would be "most" /images/graemlins/smile.gif

RogerZBT
02-24-2005, 02:44 PM
Jackie Robinson taking the field. Ali/Frazier. Gibson's homer. Duke/Kentucky (BEST GAME EVER.) The Miracle. Jessie Owens.

BeerMoney
02-24-2005, 02:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
One that really got me was when Derek Redmond pulled his hamstring in a 400M quarterfinal, or semi or something at the '96 Summer Games. And he didn't just stop, he hobbled all the way to the finish line and his dad came down to help him for the last 150M or so.

~D

[/ QUOTE ]

You stole mine.

that was the best moment in sports, and the biggest fathers and sons moment of all time.

bunky9590
02-24-2005, 03:01 PM
USA hockey team beating the russians who hadn't lost a game in like a bazillion years in the 1980 Lake Placid Olympics.

Pretty much the equivalent of the little sisters of the blind beating the NE Patriots in tackle football.

jakethebake
02-24-2005, 03:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Basketball. Meh.

jakethebake
02-24-2005, 03:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm sure many will disagree, but this is definitely one of my favorites

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v229/theglenlivet/masters.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v229/theglenlivet/masters2.jpg

I definitely got a bit misty-eyed watching the back 9 comeback - incredible stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought this was about SPORTS?

DukeSucks
02-24-2005, 03:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
USA hockey team beating the russians who hadn't lost a game in like a bazillion years in the 1980 Lake Placid Olympics.

Pretty much the equivalent of the little sisters of the blind beating the NE Patriots in tackle football.

[/ QUOTE ]

What about Rulon Gardner beating that Russian in Olympic wrestling when he hadn't lost in 13 years and hadn't been scored on in the last 10 years? I'm not a big wrestling fan, but that's got to be close to the magnitude of the hockey win.

heavybody
02-24-2005, 03:16 PM
April 1961 ABC's "Wide World of Sports" debuts.
End of discussion.

heavily bodied

shant
02-24-2005, 03:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Gibson's home run.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're talking about the '88 one, I can remember watching this as a kid and thinking it would be replayed for a long time.

MEbenhoe
02-24-2005, 03:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Basketball. Meh.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bo Kimble's free throw goes beyond the basketball court and that's one thing that makes it so great. It's one of those moments in sports that is so great because it makes you look beyond the tough exterior that athletes so often represent to the real heart of them, the game, that moment and makes you realize theres so much more important than the simple outcome of a game.

At that moment, Kimble chose to take the greatest stage he'd ever been on in his life to demonstrate his love for his fallen teammate. It's so beyond basketball it gives me shivers every time I see it or even as I was writing that description for yeti before.

JinX11
Without reading other posts:

Eruzione's goal in the 1980 Winter Olympics against the Russians.

Shajen
[ QUOTE ]

I thought this was about SPORTS?

[/ QUOTE ]

You're wrong on this one Jake. Sorry man.

istewart
02-24-2005, 03:20 PM
For me it's watching Brosius, Jeter, Martinez and co. just torch Kim in the 2001 WS two nights in a row. I was on Cloud 9 those days.

[censored]
02-24-2005, 03:23 PM
Summer of my Junior year we took down Eugene to win the State Championship in baseball.

We celebrated with snow cones afterward. Many went with blue, I chose red. A few went the graveyard route, which I thought was gay.

bd8802
02-24-2005, 03:29 PM
Most Significant: 1980 US Hockey Team
Individual Favorite: Phil Winning the Masters
One that I will always remember: Gibson's Home Run
Best Recent Moment: Waking around Lincoln NE after CU ended NU's bowl chances.

shant
02-24-2005, 03:31 PM
I don't think anyone has mentioned this, but Robert Horry's 3-pointer against the Kings was a [censored] awesome moment. That whole series was excellent.

Equally awesome was the 0.4 Fisher shot, I threw a couple chairs at my job in excitement after that one.

bunky9590
02-24-2005, 03:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What about Rulon Gardner beating that Russian in Olympic wrestling when he hadn't lost in 13 years and hadn't been scored on in the last 10 years? I'm not a big wrestling fan, but that's got to be close to the magnitude of the hockey win.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I remember that, I think it was Greco Roman wrestling or something like that in Atlanta or Sydney. I can't remember. While an amazing feat does two guys dressed in tights rolling around on the floor really qualify as a sport? /images/graemlins/smirk.gif (just kidding)

Yeah, was an unbelieveable upset. Just not a "mainstream" sport.

Then again neither is Hockey anymore. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

istewart
02-24-2005, 03:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't think anyone has mentioned this, but Robert Horry's 3-pointer against the Kings was a [censored] awesome moment. That whole series was excellent.

Equally awesome was the 0.4 Fisher shot, I threw a couple chairs at my job in excitement after that one.

[/ QUOTE ]

How did I forget? Duncan's preceding fall-away shot had me going nuts too. That game was SICK.

bd8802
02-24-2005, 03:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I remember where i was for both of those games. Both amazing. But the best overal moment from those championship runs was coming back in the 4th quarter against Portland that first year. If that did not happen, there would have been no 3 championships, IMO.

Bulldog
02-24-2005, 04:04 PM
Mine are of course based on the teams I root for:

4) Iverson going for 50+ against the Raptors in the 2001 NBA playoffs (there is no sports atmosphere I like better than being at an NBA playoff game, although college football Saturdays are a close second)

3) The Music City Miracle

2) Hakim Warrick blocking Kansas' last shot

1) Joe Carter's walk-off WS homer to beat the Phillies

astroglide
02-24-2005, 04:06 PM
would joe carter's homer have been as memorable if it wasn't a WALK OFF HOMER?

Duke
02-24-2005, 04:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
<quoted thing about Derek Redmond pulling a hammy />

You stole mine.

that was the best moment in sports, and the biggest fathers and sons moment of all time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I'd think it would tear up anyone who got misty-eyed at the "catch" at the end of Field of Dreams.

~D

Duke
02-24-2005, 04:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't even see it and I'll say no.

~D

fryKing
02-24-2005, 04:21 PM
I'm not old enough to remember 1980, or I'm sure that would be it. Speaking of hockey, and I bet nobody else picks this one:

"Matteau! Matteau! Matteau! And the Rangers have one more mountain to climb!"

Most excited I've ever been watching a sporting event. Winning the cup, while satisfiying beyond belief, was not nearly as dramatic. Sort of like how you could go with Game 4 of the ALCS rather than the World Series itself.

kemystery
02-24-2005, 04:30 PM
for Lakers fans 2002 West. Conf. finals - Robert Horry - 1 second left - 3 ptr. - thanks for the assist Vlade

http://sportsmed.starwave.com/i/magazine/new/robert_horry_three.jpg
http://www.nba.com/media/playoffs2003/horry_200_030520.jpg

Rushmore
02-24-2005, 04:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Dodgers '88, Tigers '84, both, or a different Gibson?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry about the ambiguity.

Obviously, I meant Debbie Gibson's home run in the 1989 MTV Rock and Jock softball game.

Or maybe I meant this kid I played little league with, his name was Gibson LaFaberge-DuBois, and he hit a very dramatic home run for my team, the Bunnies, in 1975.

I have heard he is regrettably no longer involved in organized sports.

If I HAD been referring to Kirk Gibson (yeah, right), I would have been referring to '88.

B00T
02-24-2005, 05:15 PM
Personal moment: Matteau with the Double OT winner againist the Devils back in '94.

Oh since hockey isn't a sport, I guess I need a real one.

Chris Moneymaker catching an 8 on the river to crack Humberto Brenes' AA.

Talk about nostalgia.

B00T
02-24-2005, 05:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Obviously, I meant Debbie Gibson's home run in the 1989 MTV Rock and Jock softball game.

[/ QUOTE ]

nh

youtalkfunny
02-24-2005, 05:23 PM
Foulke flips it to man-KAY-vitch.

It literally changed millions of lives.

RogerZBT
02-24-2005, 05:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
for Lakers fans 2002 West. Conf. finals - Robert Horry - 1 second left - 3 ptr. - thanks for the assist Vlade

http://sportsmed.starwave.com/i/magazine/new/robert_horry_three.jpg
http://www.nba.com/media/playoffs2003/horry_200_030520.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]
I HATE this play. Down 2 with a chance to tie, the Laker's power forward is hanging out behind the three point line instead of crashing the boards. My first thought was "WTF was he doing out there?" They got a good result, but Horry's play was horrible.

Richie Rich
02-24-2005, 05:30 PM
Kirk Gibson's GW homerun in the bottom of the ninth during the '88 World Series. Un-freakin-believable!!!

Dynasty
02-24-2005, 05:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
April 1961 ABC's "Wide World of Sports" debuts.

[/ QUOTE ]

It didn't become good until March 21, 1970

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v720/DynastyPoker/crash_agony.jpg

Dynasty
02-24-2005, 05:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What's the point of your question?

Wouild Mike Eruzione's goal been as memorable if the USSR beat the USA 9-4?

Joe Tall
02-24-2005, 06:43 PM
http://justdoit23.com/primg4/020_Fisk_16x20.jpg

astroglide
02-24-2005, 06:47 PM
the gayity of the term walk-off xxx

daryn
02-24-2005, 06:47 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />

[/ QUOTE ]

Larry Bird stealing the ball.

[/ QUOTE ]

ooohhh this one is awesome. i get chills just thinking about it.

heavybody
02-24-2005, 07:06 PM
that was a cool shot. I agree. I was thinking of nominating Monday Night Football ., but it is only one sport.

heavily bodied

Bulldog
02-24-2005, 08:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
the gayity of the term walk-off xxx

[/ QUOTE ]

What would you suggest in it's place?

JoeU
02-24-2005, 08:31 PM
http://www.newsday.com/media/photo/2005-01/15715021.jpg

Thread over.

(This is actually a cheap shot at Joe Tall /images/graemlins/grin.gif. On with the baseball season!).

Joe

daryn
02-24-2005, 08:32 PM
i think it must end in the extension (.jpg or whatever) to work

but i can imagine what it is /images/graemlins/blush.gif

JoeU
02-24-2005, 08:34 PM
Thanks Daryn, I got it to work.

Hey, were you at FW in one of the acts about 2 Saturdays ago?

Joe

astroglide
02-24-2005, 08:35 PM
the sentence worked perfectly without the term. saying his walk-off home run to win the game is the same thing as saying his game-winning home run to win the game.

Shaun
02-24-2005, 08:36 PM
The Red Sox comeback in the AL championship series last season. For a sport that has been around that long to have something happen for the first time, and for it to happen between two of its oldest and most bitter rivals, that's just huge.

Also, Buster Douglas's knockout of the supposedly invincible Mike Tyson. Douglas was like a 42-1 underdog, and his mother had just recently passed. He never looked as good again for the rest of his career, but on that one night he fought well above his abilites and took out the world's biggest bully. Watching Tyson search for his mouthpiece in vain was just classic. He was in shock.

David04
02-24-2005, 08:38 PM
I agree, the Red Sox comeback was amazing. I don't know if it was the best moment in sport's history though.

Shajen
02-24-2005, 08:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I agree, the Red Sox comeback was amazing. I don't know if it was the best moment in sport's history though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hank Aaron surpassing the Babe. If not for those two tools who tried to run the bases with him. Given the atmosphere and all the hatemail he'd received, I'm surprised the Hammer didn't beat the hell out of them.

Way to ruin a moment, jackasses. /images/graemlins/mad.gif

stabn
02-24-2005, 08:41 PM
There are probably better, but this is still one of my favorites:

Out of the saddle, his toes pointed down as he danced on the pedals, Armstrong suddenly slowed and looked over his left shoulder, his eyes fixed on Ullrich's face for four or five seconds, seemingly challenging his chief rival to match the bold move.

The German rider's eyes were shielded by sunglasses, but everything else about his expression showed despair. He jerked at his radio earpiece and grimaced as Armstrong lit the afterburners, roaring alone toward the peak.

(Bad picture of it, it definitely looked better on the live broadcast)

http://www.lancearmstrong.com/lance/online2.nsf/images/2001/%24file/thelook.jpg

shant
02-24-2005, 08:48 PM
Have those jackasses ever been interviewed? I wonder if they know that everyone else knows that they're jackasses.

razor
02-24-2005, 08:50 PM
great moment from a great stage...

excellent strategy/teamwork executed to perfection.

wayabvpar
02-24-2005, 08:50 PM
Personal fav-

http://images.art.com/images/products/large/10103000/10103675.jpg

Another (I was only 9, so I didn't realize the significance)-

http://www.guswilliams.com/flash/sicover.jpg

Shajen
02-24-2005, 08:51 PM
Sportscenter did an interview a couple years ago.

IIRC, they claimed to be contrite now, but at the time thought it was the coolest thing ever.

razor
02-24-2005, 08:54 PM
Well it woulda been the Expos winning the '94 WS over the Yankees.

thatpfunk
02-24-2005, 09:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]

~D

[/ QUOTE ]

Really, really good one Duke. Everytime I see that I get all mushy and realize how important sports are.

jakethebake
02-24-2005, 10:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
There are probably better, but this is still one of my favorites:

Out of the saddle, his toes pointed down as he danced on the pedals, Armstrong suddenly slowed and looked over his left shoulder, his eyes fixed on Ullrich's face for four or five seconds, seemingly challenging his chief rival to match the bold move.

The German rider's eyes were shielded by sunglasses, but everything else about his expression showed despair. He jerked at his radio earpiece and grimaced as Armstrong lit the afterburners, roaring alone toward the peak.

(Bad picture of it, it definitely looked better on the live broadcast)

http://www.lancearmstrong.com/lance/online2.nsf/images/2001/%24file/thelook.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

Competitive exercise doesn't qialify as a sport. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Duke
02-24-2005, 10:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Sorry about the ambiguity.

Or maybe I meant this kid I played little league with, his name was Gibson LaFaberge-DuBois, and he hit a very dramatic home run for my team, the Bunnies, in 1975.

I have heard he is regrettably no longer involved in organized sports.

If I HAD been referring to Kirk Gibson (yeah, right), I would have been referring to '88.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well if you said "Gibson's homer" in Detroit I think everyone would assume that you meant '84. Or if you told it to Tom Selleck. Both would have been a good call too. Other was just thrown in for good measure.

I'm from Detroit, but agree that '88 was better.

~D

andyfox
02-24-2005, 11:07 PM
Sometimes even sophisticated analysts make this mistake. After the Dodgers' 1981 World Series win over the Yankees, they gave the MVP award to 3 players. Bill James argued that one of them should have gotten it and, to make his case, he posited that had the games been played in a certain order other than the order they were played, people could clearly see how that player deserved the award. Sheesh.

Bulldog
02-25-2005, 12:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
the sentence worked perfectly without the term. saying his walk-off home run to win the game is the same thing as saying his game-winning home run to win the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

A game-winning homerun could be in the top of the ninth, or the 8th, or earlier, if it changes who has the lead and it's the last run of the game.

bholdr
02-25-2005, 12:27 AM
best had to be Hermann Maier's crash and subsequent medals at the nagono games, for me.

greatest moment in the history of sport? no doubt in my mind, Jesse Owens sticks it right up hitler's tailpipe on aug 3 1936.

and of course, IF it happened, Babe ruth's called shot.

Schneids
02-25-2005, 12:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]

and of course, IF it happened, Babe ruth's called shot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Didn't happen, sorry. He was talking smack to the pitcher who had thrown brush-back pitches to him and pointed his bat in the direction of the pitcher while doing so.

daryn
02-25-2005, 12:43 AM
Thanks Daryn, I got it to work.

Hey, were you at FW in one of the acts about 2 Saturdays ago?

Joe

[/ QUOTE ]

i wish. i gotta get down there. i'll be there most def for the NEPC.

Edge34
02-25-2005, 12:48 AM
Since I just felt like adding to the sea of responses, half of which will never be read...

1) Indiana basketball. 1987 final vs. Syracuse, Keith Smart hits THE shot. Now, I was like 3 at the time, but dammit, I'm gonna count this one if you count Laettner's shot.

2) Also basketball, hasn't been mentioned. Michael's game-winning J in Game 6 at Utah in 98. Polished off the second 3-peat and WOULD have given everybody the perfect way to remember "the man" had he just decided to hang it up instead of dragging it on with the Wizards.

Isura
02-25-2005, 01:40 AM
Jordan's shot against Utah.

Drac
02-25-2005, 02:15 AM
The last couple seconds of US/USSR hockey in 1980. Props for the Armstrong moment...that was awesome when he gave him the "NOT ENUFF!" look and buried him.

For personal highs I second the Smart shot to win it for IU in 87. Senior in HS and we just went nuts watching that ending. Puck going yard to send it to game seven was also great. Grant Potulny's OT winner to give the Gophs their first title in over 20 years after they tied it in the last minute with their goalie pulled is definitely a personal favorite.

While I hate to do it I have to give some recognition to the Laettner shot...what an amazing ending to an incredible game. I hate Duke, but I hate Kentucky even more so it's all good. Also the Fisk homer to beat my beloved Reds in the 76 series (or was it 75?) was unreal. We triumphed in the end but another unreal ending to a great game.

James282
02-25-2005, 02:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Not exactly a single moment, but I enjoyed it when Ricky Henderson broke one of the base-stealing records, pulled second base up and held it over his head proclaiming, "Today, I am the man."

And while this was happening, Nolan Ryan was in the process of stealing the headlines by pitching his 5th, or 6th, or 7th, no hitter.

Sorry the details are sketchy, but I /images/graemlins/smile.gif when I think of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinking when Henderson went up to John Olerud upon joining the Mariners in 2001 and said, "Hey, I used to play with a guy who wore a helmet in the field back in New York," to which Olerud replied, "Yeah, that was me."
-James

Joe Tall
02-25-2005, 08:59 AM
game-winning home run to win the game.

Funny how they changed it to walk-off not that your statement sounded weird. Also, a game-winning home run can come in the 2nd inning, go figure this walk-off thing, strange.

Peace astro,
Joe Tall

rusty JEDI
02-25-2005, 09:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The one where he wins gold on a technicality due to judge error.

Nothing like winning a gold medal you dont deserve.

rJ

tolbiny
02-25-2005, 09:26 AM
"NBA probably Jordan's shot over Ehlo in the CHI vs. CLE playoff game 5."

This is fifth on my list of worst sports moments in my life.

Sadly i can't think of a single good one right now.

rusty JEDI
02-25-2005, 09:28 AM
Miracle on ice doesnt even compare to the 72 Canada Russia Summit Series .

rJ

tolbiny
02-25-2005, 09:31 AM
"What about Rulon Gardner beating that Russian in Olympic wrestling when he hadn't lost in 13 years and hadn't been scored on in the last 10 years?"

Alexander Karelin. He had also announced his retirement from wrestling prior to the Sydney games, so it was his last match ever, and everyone knew it. If you google his name every article that interviews one of his opponents they basically all admit to being afraid of him. 260+ lb heavyweight olympic wrestlers ADMITTING to being afraid of someone? jesus.

tolbiny
02-25-2005, 09:39 AM
I kind of get this, celebrating the end of an amazing career (and also sticking it to Malone and stockton)- but i would have to say picking his shot over Ehlo is The moment of his career. Cleveland were the favorites in that series, and that shot began the run. The excitement of watching greatness emerge is far better than hearing its swan song.

MEbenhoe
02-25-2005, 11:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The one where he wins gold on a technicality due to judge error.

Nothing like winning a gold medal you dont deserve.

rJ

[/ QUOTE ]

You're a moron

astroglide
02-25-2005, 12:30 PM
the term "walk-off" didn't add any value to the statement

Joe Tall
02-25-2005, 12:41 PM
the term "walk-off" didn't add any value to the statement

It only defines it. Go figure.

Peace,
Joe

Goodie54
02-25-2005, 01:03 PM
Vinetieri's kick against the Rams. I mean, after all the Pats had been through without a championship, crappy facilities, the fridge, the Packers, the "tuck rule", this game was just magical.

I think I spontaneously got choked up for a week every time I thought about it.

Nothing better than this for me.

Peace

Goodie

hovemag
02-25-2005, 01:41 PM
Best moment has to be Ali coming of the ropes to knock out George Foreman, nothing comes close.

IMO Lance Armstrongs solo ride to victory and pointing to the heavens in the first competitive stage after teammateFabio Casartelli was killed in the 1995 tourdefrance is the greatest moment in cycling

Oski
02-25-2005, 01:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I was thinking when Henderson went up to John Olerud upon joining the Mariners in 2001 and said, "Hey, I used to play with a guy who wore a helmet in the field back in New York," to which Olerud replied, "Yeah, that was me."
-James

[/ QUOTE ]

That didn't happen.

I know it was "chronicled" by a few sources, but I have read many accounts of that story (as well as a few other Ricky stories) being an urban legend.

If I recall correctly, ESPN's Page 2 had a list of funny R.Henderson stories. About one week later, Sports Illustrated did a story on Ricky Henderson and the Olerud quip was specifically mentioned as being made up in the spirit of other Henderson malaprops.

The only thing I am not sure of is whether ESPN or S.I. got the story correct.

James282
02-25-2005, 02:03 PM
Strange, I didn't read about it on that website, I read about it in the paper. It may be urban legend, but who cares, what a funny story!
-James

Oski
02-25-2005, 02:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Strange, I didn't read about it on that website, I read about it in the paper. It may be urban legend, but who cares, what a funny story!
-James

[/ QUOTE ]

It is a funny story. Henderson is a genuine character. Here is a reference, by the way.
Baseball library (http://www.baseballlibrary.com/baseballlibrary/submit/Patterson_Harry1.stm)
[ QUOTE ]
Henderson-Olerud Story Never Happened

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
by Harry Patterson (Pittsburgh, PA)

This is more of a correction than a submission. The story about Rickey Henderson asking John Olerud why he wears a batting helmet (included in the Olerud bio, but not Henderson's) never happened. It started as a joke and was spread mainly by a Toronto writer. It has been denied by both players and debunked by several sportswriters. There are enough real Rickey stories out there. This is one of the better ones but it is simply not true.

» Harry Patterson is the author of several sports trivia books, most of which are available on Amazon.com.

[/ QUOTE ]

zephed56
02-25-2005, 02:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Miracle on ice doesnt even compare to the 72 Canada Russia Summit Series .

rJ

[/ QUOTE ]
you don't get it.

zephed56
02-25-2005, 02:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Best moment has to be Ali coming of the ropes to knock out George Foreman, nothing comes close.

[/ QUOTE ]
Good pick.

ChipsForFree
02-25-2005, 05:05 PM
Maybe not the greatest "moment", but certainly one of the greatest achievements would have to be Lance Armstrong's recovery from cancer to win the Tour, and of course following it up with another 5 victories just adds to it...

BottlesOf
02-25-2005, 05:22 PM
Not "my" moment but first thing that comes to mind is Lake Placid.

Roy Munson
02-25-2005, 05:40 PM
I am torn between 2 events:

1. Secretariat's Belmont romp to win the first triple crown in 25 years.

2. Ali-Frazier I- Two undefeated heavyweight champions going toe to toe in a fight that lived up to an inordinate amount of hype.

Both of these events took place during my youth when all sporting events seemed much bigger than today.

Dr. Strangelove
02-25-2005, 06:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Summer of my Junior year we took down Eugene to win the State Championship in baseball.

We celebrated with snow cones afterward. Many went with blue, I chose red. A few went the graveyard route, which I thought was gay.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sup Bro?

Dr. Strangelove
02-25-2005, 06:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I am torn between 2 events:

Secretariat's Belmont romp to win the first triple crown in 25 years.

[/ QUOTE ]