PDA

View Full Version : Anybody read about Kid Delicious in Sports Ill?

dogmeat
02-22-2005, 04:11 PM
Interesting article in the current Sports Illustrated about Danny Basavich, a.k.a. Kid Delicious. He is an under 30, ex pool hustler who is now playing on the "professioinal pool circuit."

An interesting part of it is that the author states that Kid and his partner made about $500,000 playing on the road over the past four years, and he makes that sound like a lot of money. However, that is really just $62,500 each per year (before all their travel expenses).

I know SI writes about professional poker players also, but really, this article makes this guy look like a hero for making less than 100's of pro poker players are making. He just won the 16th Ocean State 9-Ball Championship and pocketed the winners purse of $2,500.

Well, it just makes me appreciate playing poker, mostly online, and being able to take a vacation when I want.

Dogmeat /images/graemlins/spade.gif

youtalkfunny
02-22-2005, 04:21 PM
Sports Illustrated?

I subscribe, but didn't see this piece.

Who's on the cover? I just got the one with LeBron, plus the swimsuit issue.

(Is there any sports content in the swimsuit issue? I keep trying to flip through it, but my homophobia kicks in at the sight of any of the ads. If they ran ads like that the other 51 weeks, I wouldn't subscribe.)

Bump-en-Stein
02-22-2005, 09:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Sports Illustrated?

I subscribe, but didn't see this piece.

Who's on the cover? I just got the one with LeBron, plus the swimsuit issue.

(Is there any sports content in the swimsuit issue? I keep trying to flip through it, but my homophobia kicks in at the sight of any of the ads. If they ran ads like that the other 51 weeks, I wouldn't subscribe.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Its from a couple weeks' ago. Its a great article. I think its in the same one as the SuperBowl game story.

They made a lot more money than that. Think about it. You think these guys were filing taxes? They made sure to mention that they lost all of the money back on silly prop/sports bets.

Yet, at the same time, they would drive cross-country at the drop of a hat, to take down big marks. Kid was laughing at how little the pro tour pays in relation to what he used to make.

These guys were rolling large.

MHarris
02-22-2005, 10:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Kid was laughing at how little the pro tour pays in relation to what he used to make.

[/ QUOTE ]

They make it sound as if Danny doesn't gamble anymore. No pool player can make anything more than a subsistence living on tournaments alone. Tournament payouts in pool are crap and there aren't enough big tournaments a year. Those who do make it also have endorsement contracts. Danny still plays as high as anyone, he just does it more often "on the circuit."

omahahahaha
02-23-2005, 05:53 PM
You run three racks of nine ball in a row and they quit you.
You win three YEARS in a row at your local card game and they call you LUCKY!!!

lefty rosen
02-23-2005, 10:37 PM
The money in pool is in the side games. Tourney money is gravy. The life of a pool player was similar to poker players until Vegas and AC went big time. Brunson barnstormed the US southwest in the 50's and early 60's hustling games......

HDPM
02-24-2005, 11:39 AM
except the money is smaller in pool. You have to play jam up to win. Like the post above, run a few racks and people might quit. Run "lucky" at poker for years and people play you without a spot.

JTrout
02-24-2005, 12:22 PM
Run "lucky" at poker for years and people play you without a spot.

This is the very reason I began playing poker.

MCS
02-24-2005, 10:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Its from a couple weeks' ago. Its a great article. I think its in the same one as the SuperBowl game story.

[/ QUOTE ]

It wasn't in mine.

Edge34
02-24-2005, 10:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It wasn't in mine.

[/ QUOTE ]

Look again. If its still not there, your mailman ripped it out before putting it in your mailbox. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif You should play him in 9-ball to get it back...

youtalkfunny
02-26-2005, 03:08 AM
Are you sure it was Sports Illustrated? Maybe it was Sporting News, or Sport, or Field and Stream?

Bump-en-Stein
02-26-2005, 04:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Are you sure it was Sports Illustrated? Maybe it was Sporting News, or Sport, or Field and Stream?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sports Illustrated.

I was reading this article on the head in my own house. I only get Sports Illustrated.

JTrout
02-26-2005, 11:24 AM
Doesn't S.I. have choices where you can get additional golf coverage, or such?

Maybe this is the "extra pool coverage issue" /images/graemlins/tongue.gif /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Bump-en-Stein
02-26-2005, 11:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Doesn't S.I. have choices where you can get additional golf coverage, or such?

Maybe this is the "extra pool coverage issue" /images/graemlins/tongue.gif /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, you are right. It was the pool-hustler's swimsuit edition now that I that you mention it.

youtalkfunny
02-26-2005, 01:09 PM
A search on SI's website of "Kid Delicious" turns up an article dated 2.10.05, which requires registration to read.

The Superbowl mag with Vrabel and Harrison on the cover is dated Feb 14, and has no such article (I just looked at every page).

The prior issue (Brady on cover, previewing Superbowl) has no such article (and is presumably dated Feb 7--I'm not getting up again to go check).

Maybe you read it on the website? And if you did, since you're already registered there, how about a little copy and paste action for us poolhall junkies?

dogmeat
02-26-2005, 03:51 PM
I'm sorry but I already tossed the issue. It was about 10 pages though...........

Dogmeat /images/graemlins/spade.gif