PDA

View Full Version : So I played some Party Poker tourney's this morning (normally Stars)

Bigwig
02-17-2005, 09:26 AM
WTF?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

I realize why you guys harp on the fold equity at the bubble thing now. Despite quite a few bad beats, here are my results from this mornings 7 tourneys:

1. 1
2. 1
3. 2
4. 0
5. 1
6. 1
7. 1
8-10. 0

So, that's an ROI of 55.6%. Pretty good for that session.

Still, being a Stars player, I can't help but say, THESE TOURNEY'S ARE NUTS!!!!!!!!!

The blinds force crazy action. And it moves so fast I can barely catch my breath.

I must say that there's a much more drastic difference than I thought. It's almost not worth playing ANY hand on party that you don't get DIRECT implied odds on preflop. For example, limping with J9o on the button with limpers in front of you is a horrible idea here. I'll do it on Stars for the ability to use my position with raises, and bluffs, because I have the stack. You don't have it on Party. And raising with absolute crap late (eg, K2o) from the button works wonders if you're a big stack on Party.

I like Stars. But I can see the appeal of Party now. Fast, and full of blockhead idiots.

There just isn't much poker. And it's not too FUN. Agree?

ReDeYES88
02-17-2005, 09:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
So, that's an ROI of 55.6%. Pretty good for that session

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
And it's not too FUN. Agree?

[/ QUOTE ]

I sense internal conflict. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Bigwig
02-17-2005, 09:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
So, that's an ROI of 55.6%. Pretty good for that session

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
And it's not too FUN. Agree?

[/ QUOTE ]

I sense internal conflict. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh.

Well, you make an excellent point.

There's just not much 'real' poker going on, you know? Not a lot of complicated post flop stuff.

Ha. Just fired up another two, and before the BB got to me in one, 3 players were gone. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

JaysonWeberFCP
02-17-2005, 10:25 AM
I've heard horror stories about the Party Poker SnGo's, the way I see it thats just a crapshoot when the blinds force action so fast. I prefer UB or PStars, and I think UB's is the best, being 10 handed and not 9 the pay-out and blinds are a bit nicer.

lorinda
02-17-2005, 10:28 AM
UB's are the best "Poker games".

For most people Party's are the best hourly rate earners, but if you're playing for a nice game of poker, UB is certainly a good choice.

Lori

Isura
02-17-2005, 10:34 AM
I'm just starting out in SNG's (and NL in general), and so far I prefer Stars. It's my gut feeling that Stars is the better environment to learn real poker. I guess it's a tradeoff between profitability and learning, but I believe that learning is much more important at the lower limits. What do some of you higher limit players think? Is it worth it to grind it out at tougher games so that you will be better prepared to beat the big money games later on?

TheAmp
02-17-2005, 10:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]

There just isn't much poker. And it's not too FUN. Agree?

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends how you get your kicks...IMO, Party action is hilarious. For example, yesterday I played a 50+5 blood bath. All of the sudden, there were only 3 left in level 2...I had 975 chips and the short stack had 450.

Was that "poker"? I don't know...a philosophical question.

Was it "fun"? - you bet!

rabbitlover
02-17-2005, 10:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
It's my gut feeling that Stars is the better environment to learn real poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have played online for several years now and have had the opportunity to play live in some large events, WSOP, Aruba, Bellagio, etc. As far as I'm concerned the only site that correlates with live tournament play is Stars. If you take the game you are forced to play at Party to a live tournament you are doomed. The European players and others on Stars bring a much higher level of poker and specifically tournament knowledge to the table.
I sometimes feel on Party that people treat their game the same as playing slot machines.

Good luck.

skipperbob
02-17-2005, 11:03 AM
I'm not just a blockhead...I'm a "F'ing wimp-axxed Blockhead"....at least according to my opponents /images/graemlins/blush.gif

Irieguy
02-17-2005, 11:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
For example, limping with J9o on the button with limpers in front of you is a horrible idea here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude. If you think that play is a good idea anywhere, I can see why you want a lot of chips.

Irieguy

Bigwig
02-17-2005, 12:17 PM
How come there's no 'rolleyes' smiley?

Bataglin
02-17-2005, 12:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
For example, limping with J9o on the button with limpers in front of you is a horrible idea here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude. If you think that play is a good idea anywhere, I can see why you want a lot of chips.

Irieguy

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, maybe not for you. It might work for others.

rohjoh
02-17-2005, 12:52 PM
What buy in level did you play on Party Poker?

Bigwig
02-17-2005, 12:53 PM
I was playing $20's since I only put $110 into the account. The account has been dead for a while. I was letting a friend screw around with it recently. He lost the $50 that Party had recently given me for free. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Phill S
02-17-2005, 11:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
UB's are the best "Poker games".

For most people Party's are the best hourly rate earners, but if you're playing for a nice game of poker, UB is certainly a good choice.

Lori

[/ QUOTE ]

for me though, stars is the best compromise between the two.

i played a fair few games at party/skins. whilst i enjoyed the profit, the game itself quickly led me to burn out. variability is a beatch.

stars has the same weak players, but isnt that far off profitability. i play the turbos (6.5 at the mo, had to cash out my bankroll so im slumming it back up to scrath). i find these are similar in speed early on to party, but in the endgame levels, you have more time (5 min per round, which you can do over ten hands in easily once 5 handed or less).

to be honest though, i do like pokerroom. but for some reason i just cant click with it as well as elsewhere (plus suffers from same ten hand per round probs as party, has more chips to balance it though.

as UB, ill have to pass that hand blind. never played there.

Phill