PDA

View Full Version : Hockey officially done for the season

TheJunkyardGod
02-16-2005, 02:08 PM
Just announced it.

I would have liked a nice 28 game season to occupy my time between now and when baseball starts.

oh well /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Shajen
02-16-2005, 02:14 PM
pitchers and catchers report tomorrow.

Hockey is boring IMO til the playoffs anyway.

One of the best sports to watch live though.

istewart
02-16-2005, 02:21 PM
The bar-none worst sport to watch televised.

Shajen
02-16-2005, 02:23 PM
you speak the truth. At the game though? Awesome.

Toro
02-16-2005, 02:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
you speak the truth. At the game though? Awesome.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very true. I'm not a fan at all, but a few years ago, a friend dragged me to a Bruin's game. I couldn't believe how much I enjoyed it!

sublime
02-16-2005, 02:30 PM
i like hockey, but oh well.

they are going to have a hard time winnign fans back.

benfranklin
02-16-2005, 02:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Best with a bunch of guys and a bunch of beer.

Even live, hockey should not be played in any city where it can't be played outdoors too. Part of the NHL's problem is expanding to cities where no one has a clue what a blue line is. There are no fans there. If you don't have ice rinks in your parks, you shouldn't have hockey in your arena.

Yads
02-16-2005, 02:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The bar-none worst sport to watch televised.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah golf, baseball, and nascar are so exciting. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif
I personally find basket ball and football pretty boring to watch until the 4th quarter. Just because it's not your thing doesn't mean other's don't like to watch it. Anyway, I'm almost glad they cancelled the season. I don't think I could take the stanley cup winner seriously if they had won it this season.

Clarkmeister
02-16-2005, 03:00 PM
"Just because it's not your thing doesn't mean other's don't like to watch it."

Have you ever seen NHL TV ratings?

BellyBuster7
02-16-2005, 03:11 PM
http://espn-att.starwave.com/media/nhl/2005/0216/photo/nhl_cancelled_skr.jpg

/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Shajen
02-16-2005, 03:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Even live, hockey should not be played in any city where it can't be played outdoors too. Part of the NHL's problem is expanding to cities where no one has a clue what a blue line is. There are no fans there. If you don't have ice rinks in your parks, you shouldn't have hockey in your arena.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, this is only partially true.

Atlanta has a really good turnout for every home game the Thrashers play.

The reason being I think is because Atlanta is where all the New Englanders come when they get sick of it up there.

(Seriously. There's like a 3-1 ratio regarding people moving here from other states)

theredwave
02-16-2005, 03:49 PM
Attendance figures for 2003-2004 (http://www.kenn.com/sports/hockey/nhl/nhl_2004_attendance.html)

Atlanta is ranked 22. Sure its not at the bottom but they are close.
I for one will miss the rest of the season and was hoping to be able to see a few games this year. I can't understand how some people find watching hockey on t.v. is boring but watching baseball is exciting. Of course live hockey is always great but I enjoy watching the games on t.v. as well, and I can never watch a full nine inning game of baseball even during the playoffs. I can understand people have different preferences but to say that baseball is more exciting than hockey just seems crazy to me.

Patrick del Poker Grande
02-16-2005, 03:49 PM
It's because it's difficult to follow the puck on tv.

scrub
02-16-2005, 03:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i like hockey, but oh well.

they are going to have a hard time winnign fans back.

[/ QUOTE ]

They'll have a much easier time than any other sport that tried this crap.

scrub

Shajen
02-16-2005, 04:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Attendance figures for 2003-2004 (http://www.kenn.com/sports/hockey/nhl/nhl_2004_attendance.html)

Atlanta is ranked 22. Sure its not at the bottom but they are close.
I for one will miss the rest of the season and was hoping to be able to see a few games this year. I can't understand how some people find watching hockey on t.v. is boring but watching baseball is exciting. Of course live hockey is always great but I enjoy watching the games on t.v. as well, and I can never watch a full nine inning game of baseball even during the playoffs. I can understand people have different preferences but to say that baseball is more exciting than hockey just seems crazy to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe the hockey team gets a 4 times larger turnout than the Hawks do. Mainly because the Hawks are horrible.

The statement that is absolutely true in ANY sport:

Build a winning team and your stadium seats will be full.

HDPM
02-16-2005, 04:07 PM
Aren't they going to have more NASCAR in Canada in the coming years? /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

HDPM
02-16-2005, 04:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, this is only partially true.

Atlanta has a really good turnout for every home game the Thrashers play.

The reason being I think is because Atlanta is where all the New Englanders come when they get sick of it up there.

(Seriously. There's like a 3-1 ratio regarding people moving here from other states)

[/ QUOTE ]
\

This reminds me of Slapshot where Paul Newman concocts the florida retirement community thing. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

woodguy
02-16-2005, 04:11 PM
Goodenow overplayed his hand big time.

Every CBA agreement in the Bettman/Goodenow era has come at the 11th hour with Bettman caving into the NHPL.

I'd bet my bankroll that Goodenow expected that to happen again.

Up here in Edmonton we are dancing in the street we could not afford to keep the Oilers here unless there is a salary cap

The owners last offer of 44.5Mill cap would have been marginal for the Oilers, I'm glad the NHLPA rejected it.

They will never see an offer that good again.

The Oilers made a modest profit of less than 1% of revenues with 97% of the tickets sold all year.

Any buiness that is break even at 97% capacity needs to be burned down and restarted.

I'm glad this has happened, this will be good for the long term health of the professional game in Canada and marginal US markets that are hockey hotbeds like Minnesota etc.

Regards,
Woodguy

Gamblor
02-16-2005, 04:27 PM
after a while, you can tell where the puck is and where its going without actually seeing.

A guy skates along the near boards up to centre on a breakout and fires down along the boards into the opposing end. The goalie begins to come out behind the net and slides his blocker up to the top of his stick. Due to the camera angle, you can't actually see the puck, but when the goalie comes out, where the fuck do you think it's gonna go? On net?

(actually, I once allowed a goal on a fake like this. he "aimed" for the corner to dump it in and I came out to play it, except he fired it right on net).

Patrick del Poker Grande
02-16-2005, 04:35 PM
Yes, I can follow the action and I know where the puck is. I personally have no problem following the action. I've played hockey for 20 years. The general, non-hockey-playing public has a difficult time following the puck and their numbers far exceed the number who play.