PDA

View Full Version : Raise the turn.

shant
02-16-2005, 01:31 AM
I usually respond like this to the hand I'm about to post, and maybe that's what I'm about to get, but this just felt like an overcall situation. I didn't get to raise the river as I planned, but I think the overcalls worked there as well.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 6/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG calls, Hero calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, UTG folds, Hero calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, CO calls.

Flop: (16.50 SB) 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, MP2 calls, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, Hero calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, CO calls.

Turn: (15.75 BB) 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, CO calls.

River: (20.75 BB) 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, CO calls, BB calls.

Final Pot: 25.75 BB

Shillx
02-16-2005, 01:34 AM
I think that going for overcalls is a bad plan considering that there will be people with dead draws on the turn that will call any number of bets. Anyone with an 8 or hearts or spades is calling and you wan't their money now because you won't get it on the river if they miss.

Brad

Derek in NYC
02-16-2005, 01:42 AM
Interesting hand.

Given the size of this pot, I think you should raise it up and still get callers drawing at what they think are live flush draws (and to a lesser extent, str8 draws). Even overpairs find it hard to fold given the coordinated nature of the board, and the possibility you are on a semibluff. (They are of course afraid of trips, but you cant fold an overpair everytime there is a little action on a paired board.) In a smaller pot, I think going for overcalls would be right, but given the size of this pot on 4th street, you'll get callers all the way to the river. Jam the pot.

shant
02-16-2005, 01:43 AM
I thought about the draws, but I thought that anyone with an overpair or overcards would fold because of the paired board. Was the amount of callers after me worthy of just calling?

I have to admit that now that I look at it, it feels wierd to not see a raise in there somewhere.