PDA

View Full Version : 3betting with 6-high.

SamIAm
02-15-2005, 12:12 PM
UTG+1 is listed in PTracker as LA-P, and is a very bad player. Got lucky with a few flops, so has continued his loose rampage. MP1 is listed sLA-A. Not much of a read.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: SamIAm is BB with 5/images/graemlins/club.gif, 6/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, SamIAm calls.

Flop: (6.40 SB) 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 3/images/graemlins/club.gif, 2/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SamIAm checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SamIAm 3-bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls.

Turn: (7.70 BB) K/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SamIAm bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, SamIAm calls, UTG+1 calls.

River: (13.70 BB) J/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SamIAm checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, SamIAm folds, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, MP1 calls.

Final Pot: 17.70 BB

The preflop was a little loose with only 2 opponents. Too loose?

On the flop, I have the flush and the gutshot, as well as the runner-runner for the higher straight. Was this chip-spewing? Should I have just bet-out? Should I have abandoned the check-raise when it was raised?

I thought I had good fold potential when the K/images/graemlins/spade.gif came. Maybe this was just chip-spewing. If I was gonna do it again, I'd probably just check-call.

I liked my river play, since the only hand I was beating was 64 and 54. I put them on better hands than that...
-Sam

Aces McGee
02-15-2005, 12:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I thought I had good fold potential when the K came.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? When you 3 bet the flop, you made it fairly clear that a card like the king of spades wasn't likely to help you.

-McGee

PokerBob
02-15-2005, 12:33 PM
fold pf

pokerrookie
02-15-2005, 12:34 PM
With only 2 others in the pot, I am not sure a call preflop is even correct.

I think the entire hand is chip spewing. My own opinion. Once in, maybe call down hoping for the flush/straight.

Best move - river fold.

StellarWind
02-15-2005, 12:40 PM
I would probably bet the flop and hope UTG+1 raises with overcards in front of MP1. Then I can 3-bet if it gets heads up and push UTG+1 off the hand on the river when no one improves.

The checkraise is another way to semibluff and it could have worked well. MP1's raise is a big disappointment but you have enough pot equity to 3-bet for value against two players. Just be wary because a better flush draw someplace is very possible.

I don't like the turn bet. The king of second flush draw is a terrible card that pretty much ensures you have no bluff equity left.

Lost Wages
02-15-2005, 12:44 PM
You played it fine. Preflop is too close to call IMO so call or fold. Flop is standard, with the likely flop bettor on your right.

The turn bet is a gamble. If you check, you probably give-up any chance of stealing the pot if you miss the river. If you bet, you risk being raised by AK.

Nicely played on the river /images/graemlins/smile.gif.

Lost Wages

Michael Davis
02-15-2005, 12:44 PM
I like this. I actually prefer to imagine that I'm never going to make my flush and how can I best get everyone to fold. I think snagging extra pots more than makes up for the value you get by playing a flush draw like a flush draw. Could be wrong though.

-Michael

Octopus
02-15-2005, 12:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The preflop was a little loose with only 2 opponents. Too loose?

[/ QUOTE ]

It is fine. You are getting 5-1 closing the action. Your pot equity is almost certainly higher than that and you are unlikely to get trapped with a second best hand. Also, your relative position is good. (On the other hand, it is a drawing hand with a possibly aggressive player on your right. I certainly don't hate folding here.)

[ QUOTE ]

On the flop, I have the flush and the gutshot, as well as the runner-runner for the higher straight. Was this chip-spewing? Should I have just bet-out? Should I have abandoned the check-raise when it was raised?

[/ QUOTE ]

At first I thought this was over the top, but the 3-bet is probably for value (assuming they both call). (e.g. Against pocket aces including the club for one, and any two broadway for the other, we win 42.6% of the time from here. Even if someone has a flush draw, as long as the other doesn't have a pair, we are only a little below 32% to win.)

[ QUOTE ]
I thought I had good fold potential when the K/images/graemlins/spade.gif came. Maybe this was just chip-spewing. If I was gonna do it again, I'd probably just check-call.

[/ QUOTE ]

I doubt you have fold potential, and check/3-bet the flop, then check the turn is a little strange to say the least. You might even confuse them into checking it through. I agree that check-call is better here.

[ QUOTE ]
I liked my river play, since the only hand I was beating was 64 and 54. I put them on better hands than that...

[/ QUOTE ]

Hard to argue with that.

sfwusc
02-15-2005, 12:51 PM
I dont like the turn. I guess the PF, but it is iffy.

Otherwise standard.

SWUSC

chief444
02-15-2005, 01:01 PM
I like it. At first it seemed overagressive and I really didn't like the turn bet thinking you really don't seem to have any fold equity here. But after they both call the flop it certainly seems as if you'll be putting in 1 bet on the turn regardless and betting out after the 3-bet does have some advantage. And I do like the flop check/3-bet.

ScottTheFish
02-15-2005, 03:11 PM
Is the flop 3-bet still for value vs. 2 players with such a low flush draw? (Let's pretend I don't have a gutshot) If I have a T or higher I'll happily cap this flop vs. 2, but I would tend to just call the flop raise here with none of the high clubs in view...

playing scared?

chief444
02-15-2005, 03:26 PM
Calling the flop raise, check/calling the turn and check/folding the river probably isn't a horrible line to take. But it has nothing to do with how high or low you flush is. 3-betting the flop and betting the turn is really just giving you a pretty good chance of stealing the pot on the river unimproved, especially if you only get one caller on the turn. And with a strong draw you have pretty good pot equity here anyway.

SamIAm
02-15-2005, 04:38 PM
In case you're results-oriented, here's the answer-key. Extra points go to LostWages for "If you bet, you risk being raised by AK."
-Sam

UTG+1 has J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif J/images/graemlins/heart.gif (three of a kind, jacks).
MP1 has K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif A/images/graemlins/club.gif (one pair, kings).
Outcome: UTG+1 wins 17.70 BB.