PDA

View Full Version : making the switch

dfscott
02-13-2005, 10:22 PM
First, a brief disclaimer: dispite my number of posts, I've only played about 2 dozen SnGs. I've been playing limit HE almost exclusively for about a year, working my way up from nickel/dime to 3/6. However, I've run into a problem: I've gotten stone bored of the grind.

So, I've decided to take some time off and play some SnGs for a while. I love to play NL SnGs, but I really suck at them online (I'm actually pretty good when playing live). Since I plan to be on an extended leave, I thought I'd actually take the time to learn how to play this time.

That brings me to my question: what's the best way to learn SnGs? I've read AleoMagus' "beating the Party 10+1." I'm obviously already reading 2+2. I've read TPFAP and Darse's NLHE Primer. Can anyone recommend any other books to read/things to study?

AtticusFinch
02-13-2005, 10:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Can anyone recommend any other books to read/things to study?

[/ QUOTE ]

Honestly there are very few good resources apart from this board itself, which is probably a good bit of the reason why they are still so easy to beat.

The only books I can recommend are the standard NL books. McEvoy's No Limit Texas Hold'Em, and Harrington on Hold'Em. Neither of them really spends much time on SNGs specifically, although there's lots of great advice in HoH that works well in SNGs.

Your best bet is just to scour this board. Find the "name your favorite thread" posts, and read all of those. Find and read the FAQ. Figure out who the best posters are and read all their threads. I'd read lots of posts by Irieguy, Adanthar, ChrisV, and Phil Van Sexton. (Many others deserve to be on this list, but I'm too lazy to list them all).

Good luck, and keep us posted on how you do.

ilya
02-13-2005, 10:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]

The only books I can recommend are the standard NL books. McEvoy's No Limit Texas Hold'Em, and Harrington on Hold'Em. Neither of them really spends much time on SNGs specifically, although there's lots of great advice in HoH that works well in SNGs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do people keep saying this about Harrington's book, when it's just not true? The problem sections - i.e. the meat of the book - contain 24 problems on MTTs, 24 problems on SnGs, and 22 problems on 1-table satellites. How can you say that Harrington "doesn't spend much time on SnGs"??

So anyway, df....read Harrington. Play around with PokerStove and the ICM calculator. I think you can figure out pretty much everything about SnG mid/late preflop play using those tools & your own mental powers.

david050173
02-13-2005, 11:23 PM
I think what people mean is that it doesn't talk about the bubble. I am guessing that is book 2.

AtticusFinch
02-13-2005, 11:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think what people mean is that it doesn't talk about the bubble. I am guessing that is book 2.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, that, and pehaps I should have been a little more clear. You're right, there are a number of good SNG examples. I was just saying the book is not focused on SNGs overall.

I should also say that it's now tied with Theory of Poker for my favorite poker book ever.

dfscott
02-14-2005, 12:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, I've been planning to get those anyway, so it's good to know that they'll help me here.

[ QUOTE ]
Your best bet is just to scour this board. Find the "name your favorite thread" posts, and read all of those. Find and read the FAQ. Figure out who the best posters are and read all their threads. I'd read lots of posts by Irieguy, Adanthar, ChrisV, and Phil Van Sexton. (Many others deserve to be on this list, but I'm too lazy to list them all).

[/ QUOTE ]

I have been and will continue -- I've also seen a lot of your posts as well. It's a slow process, but I think I'm picking up a lot.

[ QUOTE ]
Good luck, and keep us posted on how you do.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ran one tonight and posted a few hands. Not sure how much was luck and how much was skill, but I ended up winning. It was only my second first place ever in about 2 dozen SnGs, so maybe I'm starting to get the hang of it, since my last two finishes before that were 2nds.

AtticusFinch
02-14-2005, 12:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Ran one tonight and posted a few hands. Not sure how much was luck and how much was skill, but I ended up winning. It was only my second first place ever in about 2 dozen SnGs, so maybe I'm starting to get the hang of it, since my last two finishes before that were 2nds.

[/ QUOTE ]

Congrats. I'm sure many more will follow. Welcome to our board.

Cheers,
AF

afk
02-14-2005, 05:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
First, a brief disclaimer: dispite my number of posts, I've only played about 2 dozen SnGs. I've been playing limit HE almost exclusively for about a year, working my way up from nickel/dime to 3/6. However, I've run into a problem: I've gotten stone bored of the grind.

So, I've decided to take some time off and play some SnGs for a while. I love to play NL SnGs, but I really suck at them online (I'm actually pretty good when playing live). Since I plan to be on an extended leave, I thought I'd actually take the time to learn how to play this time.

That brings me to my question: what's the best way to learn SnGs? I've read AleoMagus' "beating the Party 10+1." I'm obviously already reading 2+2. I've read TPFAP and Darse's NLHE Primer. Can anyone recommend any other books to read/things to study?

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow man, I just had this revelation last night as well. Creeeepy. I decided to switch it up too and learn how to play SNG's, MTTs and work on my shorthand game too.

Scuba Chuck
02-14-2005, 05:46 PM
The real secret to beating the SNGs at Party Poker is to not tell anybody about this site. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

dfscott
02-14-2005, 05:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Wow man, I just had this revelation last night as well. Creeeepy. I decided to switch it up too and learn how to play SNG's, MTTs and work on my shorthand game too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Too funny. And didn't we start nickel/dime limit at about the same time?

Now we know the half-life of a limit HE player...

AtticusFinch
02-14-2005, 05:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well welcome aboard. I look at playing limit as sort of like being a proctologist. Sure, it takes skill, and you can make good money doing it, but God, who would want to? /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Hawkeye27
02-14-2005, 06:14 PM
Made the switch about a month ago. Put in 100 $10's, 100 20's and 200 $30 since then. Plan to put in 1k at the $30's before moving up.

So far I have found it much more enjoyable to "put in the hours" playing SnG's. It's been very refreshing to my poker physche in general. Hopefully it continues to be and you have the same experience.

afk
02-14-2005, 06:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

We sure did. This tourny stuff sounds fun, and from what I hear sng's are quiiite profitable. And I'm a man who enjoys his profits.

Edit: Where do you plan to Start? I was thinking of going back to Stars and playing a few 5 + 0.5's to get the feel for things (and get a few FPP's to work off the $400 in bonuses I have sitting there), then I'd probably jump over to party 10+1.

tiltaholic
02-14-2005, 06:50 PM
hey afk&dfscott-

i don't have the limit skillz you guys have, but i started heading into sng's from limit ring games as well (around thanksgiving). it's fun. and, as my sister would say, hella profitable.

you guys both know enough about poker to own the 20+2 at party with minimal effort. i won't tell you not to dip in at the $5 tables, but compared to the "thinking" one needs to do at 1/2 and 2/4, low limit sng's at party (10s and 20s) are like a vacation once you've read up on the various faq threads here. the majority of players are just so bad. far too loose early, and far too weak late.

personally, i am 3-tabling party 1/2 (and easing into 2/4 sometimes) while i play a 20+2 sng as my fourth table. i started at the 10s, but the 20s are (for me) almost as easy. and, i am fully aware that i don't really know what i'm doing wrt ideal no limit sng strategy. basically just folding trash and aggressive bets with strong hands is profitable because the field of opponents is awful. or i could be on a monster run of good fortune (i've only played about 75 sngs).

best of luck to you guys!
-t

Rhone
02-14-2005, 08:12 PM
I'm also roughly in the same boat as the two of you. I have been playing 3/6 for a while now, and while I've been pretty successful I'm starting to get bored and have branched out to Party SNGs. I've played about 150 20+2's now, and after a great starting run I'm in a terrible downswing now. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif But hopefully these will be an interesting and profitable diversion (or new obsession? /images/graemlins/grin.gif ) for us all soon...

Good luck,
Rhone.

ReDeYES88
02-14-2005, 10:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I should also say that it's now tied with Theory of Poker for my favorite poker book ever.

[/ QUOTE ]

I second that 100%. I read two feet of poker books before happening to read TOP & HOH back to back a few months ago, right after reading Gambling Theory and Other Topics. HUGE jump in the quality of my play since.

Makes me wish that I didn't waste my time with so many other ones.

afk
02-14-2005, 11:36 PM
Hey tilt, thanks for the input. I figure I might as well mess around in the $5's for a short while just to get my feet wet. unless things go horribly I wouldn't stay there for long. Either way I really appreciate the input.