PDA

View Full Version : Playering With The Super Tight, Super Aggressive

gaming_mouse
02-08-2005, 06:19 AM
With a player last night I have 250+ hand on. Stats:

VPIP=12
aggr=6,5,7

I don't remember any specific hands or specific reads, but I was thinking that this kind of player is probably making errors by being so aggressive.

Can anyone say what kind of line you take against such a player, in general terms, to exploit those errors?

For example, with loose/passive players who call too much, you cut down on bluffing and value bet alot.

With super TAGs like the one I described, I'm thinking you will:

c/r alot.
call down alot.
wait till the river to raise alot

Is this correct? Other, more specific thoughts?

Pepsquad
02-08-2005, 08:01 AM
Depending on his position relative to you, modify your starting requirements. If he is on your right, this is easy to do. If he is on your left, you need to de-value your drawing hands. With this person on your left, it may become correct to fold suited connectors and semi-strong broadway cards that you would normally consider limping with. If he's on your left, personally I'd leave the table. If that option doesn't appeal to you , stick to your BIG cards against this guy and no liming. When in, come in for a raise.

SenecaJim
02-08-2005, 06:29 PM
I would go to another table unless you just wanted to work on your game concerning handling this type of player. I rather go make easier money at another table.

Piers
02-08-2005, 06:48 PM
Usually there post flop play gives away little about thieir hand, so will be palying against the spread of hands indicated by their pre flop play for longer than usual.

Fold quickly or stick in there.

gaming_mouse
02-08-2005, 09:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I would go to another table unless you just wanted to work on your game concerning handling this type of player. I rather go make easier money at another table.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is silly. There are always TAGs at 3/6 tables now. In fact, you are at a good table if there are only 4 or 5 them. And I think that the player I described is probably not as good as a less insane TAG.

SenecaJim
02-08-2005, 10:11 PM
Maybe so on the interenet. I think you are talking internet? I play live 5-10 mostly, some 10-20, and at 5-10 there is usually no one like that. so, like I said from my experience, unless I wanted to hone up figuring find more like him / her at higher limits, I would switch tables if it was keeping me out of any pots in a soft game or making me less aggressive.

SenecaJim
02-08-2005, 10:19 PM
Also, you described ONE player at your table and then proceeded to tell how you normally play against loose passive, how do you exploit THIS player. IF you follow your own suggestions for one player with loose passives waiting to give you money, you are costing yourself $'s. That's my point. I dont' want to lower my hourly rate for dealing with one player.

gaming_mouse
02-08-2005, 11:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Also, you described ONE player at your table and then proceeded to tell how you normally play against loose passive, how do you exploit THIS player.

[/ QUOTE ]

My description of loose/passives was purely an example of the kind of explanation I was looking for, except I was looking for about superTAGs.

Also, you seem too eager to get up and leave the table. Are you sure you wouldn't rather play against this guy than against a more balance, less crazy TAG? And if you are saying that you can find tables without TAGs on the intertnet, that is just false in my experience at 3/6 and 5/10.

Anyway, I'm not necessarily saying you'd rather play against this wacko than a normal TAG, I'm just opening the idea up for discussion. Because clearly this guy is making errors by being too aggressive, right?

SenecaJim
02-08-2005, 11:57 PM
yes, right. I'm not arguing with your topic. I stated that I play live, that what I was saying was based on what I have found. Not so much at higher stakes , but at 5-10 my comments are exactly what I find. Usually 7 or 8 callers, tightens up sometimes to 3-4 but even then not aggressive. The player you describe will hurt my earnings. If not by my actions, definitely the action of the table. again, usually. not speaking in absolutes.

gaming_mouse
02-09-2005, 12:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I stated that I play live

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, you are right then. I play live too sometimes, and I can tell you that, at least at Commerce, the live 6/12 games play like an online 1/2 game. Party 3/6 is MUCH tougher than a live 6/12 game. I've heard the same is true sometimes all the way up to 10/20 and 20/40, tho I havn't had experience with those limits yet myself.

gm

K C
02-09-2005, 01:18 AM
With a player like this you want to make sure you have a better hand than normal to play back with. I play this tight myself and I can tell you the guy isn't going with junk here, and if you call him down, you better have a good hand. Being this aggressive, he's raising pretty much every opportunity, and what you want to do is look to exploit this advantage when you're sitting with 2 pair or better.

In terms of the strategy you propose, you wouldn't really need to c/r much since you can count on him to do the raising for you most of the time. And when you c/r this would give away your hand.

You wouldn't call down a lot as you suggest, in fact, just the opposite. I play just as tight, and I win around 75% of showdowns. So if you're going to call him down you're going to have to be more sure of yourself, and look to be among the 25% of hands which this style loses to, which is better than a pair when he has top pair.

As far as raising on the river, it depends on how he responds to raises and re-raises earlier in the hand. If he tends to slow down, then yeah, later is better. If he doesn't though, lay the boots to him on every opportunity with the proper hand. Even so, deception to some degree will play a role.

KC
kingcobrapoker.com

imported_stealthcow
02-09-2005, 07:00 PM
first, i think its important to realize those numbers may not be enough to make too accurate a judgement as him being "super" aggressive.

vpip of 12 over 250 hands means that the hands you've seen him put money in are 30. its highly possible that if he plays only 12% of hs hands, that the 30 you saw were moreso AA-TT AKs AQs and whatnot. in this case, esp. hands like JJ, any tag will push these hands hard preflop and on the flop, but fold to one bet (making their "aggression factors" really high)

that being said. if you have a good hand agaisnt him, i'd go for bet/ 3bets if he truly is a maniac. and play abvoe avg. hands, drop the drawing hands as he will be charging you the whole way through

stealthcow-

Derek in NYC
02-09-2005, 07:03 PM
Why would you wait until the river to raise a maniac? You will often get unlimited action on earlier streets.

mmcd
02-09-2005, 07:38 PM
First off, make sure you got the goods when going up this type.

Flat call any time your open gets 3-bet.

Checkraise a lot flops (smooth call a 3-bet).

Lead 3-bet a lot of turns.

Mike
02-09-2005, 08:11 PM
I agree with previous poster, unless you want to work on your game there is no sense playing with the most agressive player in the room. Any mistakes they make is not half as bad as the ones you may make. He/She probably knows they are going lose eventually and could care less.

You beat them by taking them off their game and making them play one you like better.