PDA

View Full Version : way ahead/way behind?

donger
02-07-2005, 06:11 PM
PF Raiser is 20%/13%.. only seen about 15 hands at this table, so no real reads. I have recently become familiar with the concept of way ahead/way behind situations, and wondered if you guys thought this was one of them. It seems like it to me, but I couldn't help check-raising the turn here. I guess I'm used to 2/4 where I'll get paid off to the river with an underpair...

Should I have just check-called all the way here?
Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed)converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, MP1 calls.

Flop: (6.33 SB) K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls, MP1 folds.

Turn: (4.16 BB) K/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button folds.

Final Pot: 7.16 BB

zram21
02-07-2005, 06:15 PM
Lead out on the flop.

By thinking of this in a way ahead/way behind mentality I am guessing you were going to just call down unimproved? That would be a bad way to play this hand.

The range of hands that the button might be raising against one limper is very big. You aren't winning the most possible if you are ahead by check/calling because he might check something like TT through on the turn, but may call a bet.

Schizo
02-07-2005, 06:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Lead out on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Derek in NYC
02-07-2005, 06:20 PM
I often checkraise flops like this, rather than check-calling, then lead the turn.

The turn raise, as you point out, does nothing unless the guy is complete retard, since you hold the nuts (absent quads and a chop). I probably don't check call, however, heads up. I would just bet this turn, and give the guy the chance to 3-bet you on a bluff.

Whatever you do, dont check-raise the river. Just bet it.

runa
02-07-2005, 06:21 PM
You're only behind AA and AK so its probably more likely you're ahead than behind. Flop smooth call is ok to set up the turn CR on a drawless/rainbow board, especially if you think this player will autobet the flop and turn even with A high when checked to.

zram21
02-07-2005, 06:27 PM
I am not a fan of smooth calling the flop to check raise the turn here. If you are going to check raise then it should be on the flop. Why give a hand like AQ a chance to check the turn through and catch an A for free on the river?

If you are VERY certain button will bet the turn again I guess it is ok, but with the range of hands he might be raising with preflop and then auto betting on the flop I think check raising the flop is far superior. I still like leading the flop the best though. I don't want the flop getting checked through either.

poboys
02-07-2005, 06:35 PM
I would have gone for the check-raise on the flop. 99% of the time the raiser is going to bet this flop (and hopefully get him out of the way). Make MP call two cold. Lead out the turn.

I am not a big fan of check raising the turn with so few people in the pot. As others mention.. you don't want to give away a free card.

Derek in NYC
02-07-2005, 06:36 PM
he is not behind AK. he chops with AK as long as an ace doesnt fall.

zram21
02-07-2005, 06:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
he is not behind AK. he chops with AK as long as an ace doesnt fall.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am pretty certain he was referring to the flop with this comment.

runa
02-07-2005, 06:41 PM
His initial description sounds fairly aggro, and if he does have AQ he's drawing thin to 3 outs, and your CR on the flop makes it an easy fold on the turn. It sounded to me like our hero trusted his read enough to believe the villain would bet the flop and turn, and a CR on the turn might smell suspicious and get called down by A high. If not, he folds on the turn and you get an extra SB out of him or calls and folds the river UI and you net another additional BB.

Personally I lead the flop more often than trying to set up a CR on the turn, and I agree that leading out in these situations usually works out better. If I led and were raised on the flop then I usually 3-bet and go from there.

jgorham
02-07-2005, 06:42 PM
I agree that this is a c/r for me on the flop. That said I think the real question you were asking in your post is what to do on the turn with a board like that. Unfortunately no matter what you do he is probably getting away from this hand after his one big bet. That said c/r takes away any real chance for him to lose more money to you in this hand. If you think he will attempt a value bet of A high, call turn and check to him on river. I think the best play is to call the turn and lead the river. This doesn't seem as powerful as a checkraise and may induce him to call down with A high or an underpair.

All of that being said you can checkraise opponents who have a tendency to call down.