PDA

View Full Version : Well that losing streak everybody said would come... is here

MSUcougar
02-04-2005, 03:25 AM
I've been playing $30+3's on party for about 8 months now, but only purchased Pokertracker 3 weeks ago. In the past 3 weeks I have played just over 200 tourneys, and I was pleased to see a 45% ITM and 36% ROI. I always play 2-3 tables at a time.

Tonight I set down to play some SNG's like usual and I just now finished 13 in a row out of the money (7 earlier, took a break, 6 more just now). A couple of the all in hands I experienced:

AK vs. AQ, Q on river
99 vs. 44, 4 on flop
QQ vs. A7 vs. 99, wheel on river
AQ vs. 66, Q on flop, 6 on river
73 in BB, flop 753, of course another guy had 64.

and not to mention losing every single coinflip possible.

My ego and ROI are hurting at the moment /images/graemlins/blush.gif

I don't think I played any differently tonight than normal, just got unlucky a few times. Any advice on handling bad losing streaks?

EDIT: by the way, I know this is just part of the normal fluctuation associated with playing poker... and I know I haven't played nearly enough tourneys to really quantify my ITM/ROI... I just sorta wanted to vent after a painful evening /images/graemlins/blush.gif

MagnoliasFM
02-04-2005, 03:59 AM
Don't worry, stuff like that happens. As long as you don't go on tilt, it's just a short-term bump in the road.

Some things that I like to do to keep myself from getting frustrated or tilty when I start running bad like that are:
- Take a shower
- Sleep
- Do homework
- Read a book
- Play the guitar
- Pretend like I have a girlfriend who cares about how badly my cards are running, a.k.a. talking to myself on the phone
- My favorite: Playing in a $5+1 tourney and going all-in preflop every hand no matter what, and seeing the reactions of the players. (It's funny to get your big blind folded to you in level 1 of a $5+1 SNG...it's even funnier to win one in 15 minutes by going all-in blind every hand) You're basically throwing away $6 but at least it's entertaining you're not tilting it off and being mad.

skipperbob
02-04-2005, 04:03 AM
45% ITM / 36%ROI over 200 tournys.....Can't wait till Irieguy gets hold of this one....More fun than watching Roy get fed to the Tigers

Irieguy
02-04-2005, 04:04 AM
Alright, man... you were unlucky enough to have me just read your thread after a really bad night, after a really bad week and I'm going to vent by flaming you for a while.

Let's start with the title of your post:

[ QUOTE ]
... that losing streak everybody said would come... is here

[/ QUOTE ]

You think 13 in a row is a losing streak? 13 OOTM in a row is like batting practice for a losing streak. 13 in a row is to a losing streak what a morning cup of coffe that isn't quite the perfect temperature is to a bad day. 13 in a row?! I can get you 13 in row by 3 o'clock... with nail polish.

Also, the bad beat list you made... that is very un-dude.

You can honestly tell me that you've been playing SNGs for 8 months and:

[ QUOTE ]
...73 in BB, flop 753, of course another guy had 64

[/ QUOTE ]

... is a noteworthy event in your life? Next you'll probably insert the gratuitous mellodramatic hyperbole...

[ QUOTE ]
and not to mention losing every single coinflip possible

[/ QUOTE ]

Sweet.

Ok, enough flames. Let's get to your question:

[ QUOTE ]
Any advice on handling bad losing streaks?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, first you might want to try having one. Then resist any urge to post some inane listing of completely routine beats and break some of your hardware like a normal person.

Irieguy

Irieguy
02-04-2005, 04:05 AM
Thank you for the laugh, skipper. I seriously didn't see your post before I wrote mine.

Irieguy

The Yugoslavian
02-04-2005, 04:08 AM
game
set
match

Yugoslav

(Am I a mean person for laughing my $ss off for like a minute straight after reading this?)

The Yugoslavian
02-04-2005, 04:13 AM
As far as useful advice goes:

1. Quit for the day/night. Obviously it's affected you quite a bit so you're at *least* mini-tilting now (perhaps still able to play at a +$EV level but perhaps not).

2. I like the shower idea. Second most profound thing that guy has said so far.

3. Exercise until you are *very* beat. Don't overdo it and hurt yourself but do whatever will absolutely tire you out.

4. Read old (possibly archived) posts about *very* good players running into *huge* bad streaks and/or losing their whole roll. Keep in mind that they are *very* good, do this for a living, and turned out fine.

5. If a 13 OOTM streak is gonna hose you like this, then stop looking at your ITM/ROI if it will affect you this much. Just evaluate it once a month and spend any/all time you would spend oggling your ITM/ROI on looking over your HHs and plugging leaks/improving your play.

Yugolsav

lacky
02-04-2005, 04:26 AM
i was doing the same thinking BadIrie clearly got his full alotment of Heineken tonight.

MSUcougar
02-04-2005, 05:26 AM
1. I realize losing 13 in a row is not a life changing experience. I was fully aware that there were probably people here who had lost more.

2. I had never PERSONALLY had a string of losses like this in one night and thought I'd share.

3. I really don't think I deserved your flamefest post. In fact, in the time it took you to quote each of my sentences and flame each one, you could have used a little tact and simply explained why I need not fret and next time not bother posting about such an unimportant event.

Irieguy, I've found most of your posts useful and informative, but this one I could have done without.

**I realize your point is that this really isn't that big a deal, and I won't post a thread like this again, but I still don't think the insults were necessary**

boondockst
02-04-2005, 08:06 AM
maybe switch to a smallstakes cash game? i switch between SNGs and limit and NL when i need a boost....or Halo2...but if you're strictly an SNG player i duno....

i LOVE the "5+1 all in blind every hand" deal...the players think you're stupid or something and scramble to protect their $6 investment and verbally vow to take your chips "next time you pull that"

boondockst
02-04-2005, 08:13 AM
not even a bad streak but my turn to complain about my night:

http://img222.exs.cx/img222/6163/streak4vf.jpg

skipperbob
02-04-2005, 01:36 PM
Interviewer to SkipperBob "What's your most accomplished s"
S.B. "Timing"

Irieguy
02-04-2005, 01:40 PM
Just playing, dude.

If you've read my posts I'm sure you've seen me make fun of Ilya, Desdia, The Yugoslavian, AAsuited, Skip Brutale and many others. It's just to keep the mood light amongst all of Eastbay and Aleo's boring numbers threads. I've never said anything truly hurtful to anyone on-line or elsewhere.

So don't sweat it. I'll take you off my very short list of people with whom I'm allowed to have fun.

Apologetically,

Irieguy

skipperbob
02-04-2005, 01:56 PM
If I apologize for Irieguy it won't seem so self-serving; therefore, he apologizes....He had a tough night; he truly tries to help other poker players (see his many thoughtful posts (as do many others on this forum))....He's smarter than most of us, but doesn't realize how that grates on some of us....He suffers fools (not you,me)and sycophants poorly....But, his reactions are reflexive and, therefore, predicable (See prior post here)

silversurfer
02-04-2005, 02:01 PM
I hate to bow at the shrine of Irieguy, but he really is one of the best posters in this forum. Don't take it personally.

Take solace in the fact that he spelled "melodramatic" incorrectly. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

microbet
02-04-2005, 02:08 PM
It should be a short list of people with whom you're NOT allowed to have fun.

But, it's your list, and if that's the way it works, feel free to include me.

And in case my invitation isn't enough to put me on your list - Heinekin Sucks!!!

jdl22
02-04-2005, 02:17 PM
Good post. As usual both informative and entertaining. Given the tone of your post, however, I must conclude that you were actually not feeling very irie at all.

Jared

citanul
02-04-2005, 02:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My ego and ROI are hurting at the moment /images/graemlins/blush.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

As well your ego should be, you're clearly a shitty player.

citanul

stupidsucker
02-04-2005, 02:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you've read my posts I'm sure you've seen me make fun of Ilya, Desdia, The Yugoslavian, AAsuited, Skip Brutale and many others.

[/ QUOTE ]

In the very next sentence he casualy adds two more to his "list"

[ QUOTE ]
It's just to keep the mood light amongst all of Eastbay and Aleo's boring numbers threads.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dont take anything personal when people flame you for a bad beat post or whine post. If you want to hear somer good whining look up some of my old posts. If you look far enough back, you might even find some conspiracy theory posts.

Try to understand how a guy like him feels. It would be like comming home from a hard days work of being a plumber, and listening to someone complain that they just had to clean a sink.. Teh Horror. In his mind he is saying to himself (put on your best sarcastic voice and say out loud) "Oh you poor thing"

He was just venting too, and he went on to be constructive. Trust me... you will know it if anyone is being seriously malicious. We just buds here for the most part. Feel left out if you dont get flamed a little.

stupidsucker
02-04-2005, 02:42 PM
Oh btw

when we make fun of Desdia, its for real.

MSUcougar
02-04-2005, 04:55 PM
I figured you didn't mean to be malicious... I knew I'd get flamed by at least a couple people, cuz I'm sure there are whine threads on here all the time. I was just frustrated and wanted to vent a little bit.

And Irieguy, I can have some fun on forums, just maybe help me out by using a /images/graemlins/wink.gif or j/k at the end of your flame...

/images/graemlins/wink.gif

wbrumfiel
02-04-2005, 06:12 PM
I lost 2 in a row at lunch, Im devestated.

Irieguy
02-04-2005, 10:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]

And in case my invitation isn't enough to put me on your list - Heinekin Sucks!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Every man has a line. A line in the sand that cannot be crossed. You, sir, have crossed that line. I formally curse you with a 300 SNG losing streak. Good luck keeping that out of your head while you play this month.

Irieguy

stupidsucker
02-04-2005, 11:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
.......300 SNG losing streak. Good luck keeping that out of your head while you play this month.

[/ QUOTE ]

Had you been more realistic(like 17), and said this to me I would be looking over my shoulder every time I hit 8.

microbet
02-04-2005, 11:48 PM
You're an OB/GYN right? I'll throw a curse back at you. 50% increase in malpractice insurance AND an urgent delivery comes up when you are chip leader on the bubble in all 8 tables. ZAP!

lorinda
02-04-2005, 11:59 PM
Had you been more realistic(like 17), and said this to me I would be looking over my shoulder every time I hit 8.

Irie can cook up a curse for 17 whilst 8-tabling.

500 requires frog's legs and pocket tens to be cooked at the right temperature for 3 hours.

Lori

lacky
02-05-2005, 12:38 AM
I'm down $1000 in 2 hours so far today, I think done f'd me already.

microbet
02-05-2005, 12:56 AM
I just drank 3 heinis, fired up 8 $33s and won them all, thus lifting the curse. It tasted like the east river, but it was worth it.

(There are three things I'll never do. 1. Start a land war in europe. 2. Trust a sicilian when death is on the line. 3. Use a smiley face in a post or an email. So I'll just have to trust y'all to know when I'm kidding.)