PDA

View Full Version : SkyDome renamed

Dynasty
02-02-2005, 11:53 PM
Rogers Communications, which owns the Toronto Blue Jays, has renamed the SkyDome. Presumably, it's part of a very sophisticated marketing program designed to increase profits, market share, or some other stuff.

The new name: Rogers Centre

I haven't decided whether this is worse than Los Angeles Angles of Anaheim. It's close.

johnnybeef
02-02-2005, 11:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I haven't decided whether this is worse than Los Angeles Angles of Anaheim. It's close.

[/ QUOTE ]

what happened with that? i heard they were going to court over this.

_2000Flushes
02-02-2005, 11:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

what happened with that? i heard they were going to court over this.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's worth going to court just to prevent that spelling of Center.

-2kF

bwana devil
02-03-2005, 12:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Just the French influence in Oh, Canada. And don't miss the irony that you use the borrowed French for your location.

_2000Flushes
02-03-2005, 12:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Just the French influence in Oh, Canada. And don't miss the irony that you use the borrowed French for your location.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have no problem with French influence. And because it's in Toronto, I concede a fair amount of legitimacy. But that spelling too frequently reflects empty pretentiousness, like in stores named Earl's Live Bait Centre.

-2kF

bwana devil
02-03-2005, 12:22 AM
True dat. Perhaps Boston could follow suit and rename Fenway:

Ye Olde Ballpark

maryfield48
02-03-2005, 12:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Is it French influence? It's spelled that way in Blighty too.

Gamblor
02-03-2005, 12:38 AM
Rogers is the biggest Telecom company around here, so it makes sense. Think AT&T Centre.

Regardless, the team sucks, the stadium is a technological wonder of a dump, and they'll be lucky to pull in 10,000 a game, me and my dad included.

My team is in shambles. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Where oh where is Kelly Gruber?

_2000Flushes
02-03-2005, 12:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
True dat. Perhaps Boston could follow suit and rename Fenway:

Ye Olde Ballpark

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinking something more like Fenway Base-Ball Theatre.

-2kF

_2000Flushes
02-03-2005, 12:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Rogers is the biggest Telecom company around here, so it makes sense. Think AT&T Centre.

Regardless, the team sucks, the stadium is a technological wonder of a dump, and they'll be lucky to pull in 10,000 a game, me and my dad included.

[/ QUOTE ]

None of this ever would have happened if Cito Gaston had just played Mussina in the '93 All-Star Game.

-2kF

maryfield48
02-03-2005, 01:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

One of my favourite Blue Jays when I lived in TO in 87-89. Saw him hit for the cycle in Exhibition Stadium.

razor
02-03-2005, 01:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
But that spelling too frequently reflects empty pretentiousness

[/ QUOTE ]

maybe in the US, but CENTRE is the way we spell the word up here...

Eurotrash
02-03-2005, 01:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

One can only hope he's in the good company of Pat Borders and Devon White

_2000Flushes
02-03-2005, 01:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
But that spelling too frequently reflects empty pretentiousness

[/ QUOTE ]

maybe in the US, but CENTRE is the way we spell the word up here...

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, you're right. I should have given more thought to my post before I submitted it. It was just a knee-jerk reaction to a common nuisance down here. My apologies.

-2kF

bisonbison
02-03-2005, 03:01 AM
Honestly, if it was an attractive place to play, no one would care (hey there Wrigley Chewing Gum Field), and since it's an ugly fu[/i]cking dome, no one also cares.

Lazymeatball
02-03-2005, 09:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but isn't the proper English spelling of Centre influenced by William of Normandy's invasion?

_2000Flushes
02-03-2005, 11:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but isn't the proper English spelling of Centre influenced by William of Normandy's invasion?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not unless you're speaking Middle English, which wouldn't be all bad because you'd get to use words like hoote, servysable and yemanly.

-2kF

ArchAngel71857
02-03-2005, 11:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

None of this ever would have happened if Cito Gaston had just played Mussina in the '93 All-Star Game.

-2kF

[/ QUOTE ]

Did someone jack your account and start posting?

-AA

Gamblor
02-03-2005, 11:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

-2kF

[/ QUOTE ]

-AA

[/ QUOTE ]

If you'd ever saw Kelly Gruber snare a sure double down the third base line you wouldn't say that.

_2000Flushes
02-03-2005, 12:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]

-AA

[/ QUOTE ]
Listen, dick. I know my shi[/i]t when it comes to the Blue Jays.

-2kF

Gamblor
02-03-2005, 12:14 PM
how so?

Bulldog
02-03-2005, 12:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

-2kF

[/ QUOTE ]

-AA

[/ QUOTE ]

If you'd ever saw Kelly Gruber snare a sure double down the third base line you wouldn't say that.

[/ QUOTE ]

As a Jays' fan, I'm thrilled about this. The organization announced that they are upping their $50 million payroll budget to $210 million over the next three years, to be loaded in the first two. They should be at the front of the line for next year's free agents, and if they can hang around the wild card race this year, they'll have the payroll to make a trade deadline move.

I took a trip to Toronto several years ago, and saw a game in the last year Exhibition Stadium was open.

http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/B08020TOR1988.htm

I didn't get to see any Gruber doubles, but after his two-run double, we headed to the exit. While my mom was in the restroom, this stone drunk guy comes up to my dad and I and introduces himself as Gruber's brother. He started going on about the Jays and Gruber and after listening politely for a few minutes we tried to end the conversation and leave, but this angered him, and my dad almost had to fight Kelly Gruber's brother. I got the Tony Fernandez jersey instead.

_2000Flushes
02-03-2005, 12:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
how so?

[/ QUOTE ]

I was calling AA a dick. Not you, Gamblor. But that's not to say you're not a dick. I don't think I'm ready to commit one way or another in that regard.

-2kF

ArchAngel71857
02-03-2005, 12:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

-2kF

[/ QUOTE ]

-AA

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't understand the question.

And I won't respond to it.

-AA

Gamblor
02-03-2005, 01:17 PM
OMG that site is awesome.

Tony Fernandez and Ernie Whitt were my idols on the Blue Jays.

I once met Ernie Whitt at the CNE (the Canadian National Exhibition, or Ex, our "State Fair"), which was in the same complex as Exhibition Stadium. I was 6 years old, and we were waiting to get onto the bumper cars, and my dad points out some guy with a big mustache and goes "what's his number?" I say "DAD, THAT'S ERNIE WHITT!!" He came over and signed for me and i rode the bumpercars with Ernie Whitt's kid.

But nobody on earth had a better batting stance than Tony Fernandez.

BTW, he was #12 and starting catcher.

Gamblor
02-03-2005, 01:27 PM
Are you hitting on me?

Anyway, I meant how on earth is anyone a Jays fan outside of Toronto?

chabibi
02-03-2005, 01:56 PM
how is anyone a jays fan in toronto

_2000Flushes
02-03-2005, 02:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Are you hitting on me?

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, now that you meantion it, maybe I am.

[ QUOTE ]
Anyway, I meant how on earth is anyone a Jays fan outside of Toronto?

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not a Jays fan.

-2kF