PDA

View Full Version : The ultimate job?

M2d
01-25-2005, 08:31 PM
Ok, maybe not ideal for everyone, and it is hard work, but all these job related posts made me remember a job I was once offered. It was a few years ago, and the pay range was in the 70K range.

The job was environmental remediation of Johnson Atoll on the Pacific. It was ass kicking work, but the schedule ruled. Since it was on an atoll, they flew you out there for four weeks (five day a week working), then you got two weeks off. The beautiful part is that they flew you back home for those two weeks off.
What a lot of guys from hawaii were doing was listing Las Vegas as their home city (I believe some even put down the California Hotel as their home address). They were flown to Honolulu for a two day layover then flown to "home". the return had the same two day layover then it was back to work.

On the Atoll, there were no places to spend money, so their down time was pretty boring. lots of fishing and chillin, but no bars or stores to burn money. Meals and lodging were taken care of, so their week and a half in vegas was the only time they actually had to spend money.
I know some guys who did six month contracts and had a blast.

Patrick del Poker Grande
01-25-2005, 08:40 PM
That would be pretty badass if I were single and didn't have anything else to do.

M2d
01-25-2005, 08:41 PM
the single part was the only reason I didn't take the job.

Patrick del Poker Grande
01-25-2005, 08:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Right. Jobs like this one that are awesome if you're single blow huge ass chunks if you've got a woman to listen to every day bitching about how you're not there and then you've gotta go home and be her prisoner the whole time because you've gotta make up time. I've gone away from home for work for weeks/months at a time where it would've actually been pretty cool if not for this exact problem.

deacsoft
01-25-2005, 09:05 PM
That sounds sweet, but I could have beat that. When I was in college my parents cut me off after I used my "emergency" credit card (which was in their name) and went $2,500+ shopping spree. So, I had to find a part-time job to continue living in the lifesyle I had just grown accustomed to. So I thought to myself, "where is the one place in the area that I could get up and not dread going to work". After a few hours I had the the best idea. I was going to work in the mall. But not just in the mall. I was going to work at Victoria's Secret.

I went down and picked up an ap, filled it out, and returned it the next day. I was called in for an unterview a few days later and was offered a sales position. The young lady interviewing me said, "You'd be suprised how often women shopping there are in neeed of a male's opinion". To my delight I was hired and in heaven. However, the hours they needed me to work conflicted with my class and athletic schedules. I never got to work even one day there. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Ray Zee
01-25-2005, 09:09 PM
johnson island was and i think is still a storehouse for chemical weapons and is an environmental house of poison. they stored agent orange there for years and the barrels leaked all over the place. you are lucky you didnt get that job. my good friend joe wallace worked there for years. i still think about him.

Patrick del Poker Grande
01-25-2005, 09:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I was going to work at Victoria's Secret.

[/ QUOTE ]
Brilliant.

M2d
01-25-2005, 10:39 PM
wearing a level A suit for work in the tropics isn't exactly my idea of fun. I'd be protected, but would probably lose half my body weight each day. unlimited reefs for fishing after work, though.

Nottom
01-26-2005, 12:27 AM
My old roommate has about the best job I know of.

Basically he is a counselor for troubled youth, but instead of the normal crap you would associate with this job it is his responsibility to dispense positive re-enforcement to the kids that have been good for the past week/month/whatever. Essentially, he contacts the parents and if their kid hasn't gotten into trouble he stops by their place and takes the kid out to have a good time. Either he goes to a movie, or goes down to the video arcade, or goes and plays putt-putt ... whatever random thing the kid wants to do. All of this is on his expense account ... and he even sets his own hours.

I have no clue what he gets payed, but it basically tops any random "working for the man" job I had ever heard of.

vulturesrow
01-26-2005, 12:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
That sounds sweet, but I could have beat that. When I was in college my parents cut me off after I used my "emergency" credit card (which was in their name) and went $2,500+ shopping spree. So, I had to find a part-time job to continue living in the lifesyle I had just grown accustomed to. So I thought to myself, "where is the one place in the area that I could get up and not dread going to work". After a few hours I had the the best idea. I was going to work in the mall. But not just in the mall. I was going to work at Victoria's Secret.

I went down and picked up an ap, filled it out, and returned it the next day. I was called in for an unterview a few days later and was offered a sales position. The young lady interviewing me said, "You'd be suprised how often women shopping there are in neeed of a male's opinion". To my delight I was hired and in heaven. However, the hours they needed me to work conflicted with my class and athletic schedules. I never got to work even one day there. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Not that you care, but you have instantly attained mucho respecto from me. Its a damn shame it didnt pan out. As a consolation though, odds are high that you wouldve been dealing a lot with nasty looking chicks that lingerie just cant fix.

Mangatang
01-26-2005, 12:40 AM
I would like to be a roller coaster critic.

bholdr
01-26-2005, 01:01 AM
professional freeskier/ surfer/ bmx/motorcycle rider/ skater/ etc.

any of these are pretty damn good. decent pay, unlimited hot young ass to tap, very few hours, lots and lots of free stuff/ gear/ booze, very cool crowd to associate with. basicly get paid and laid to do your very favroite thing in the world, hard to beat.

i have tasted this lifestyle, but only enough to want more...

"rock star" would be a cool one too.

pshreck
01-26-2005, 01:08 AM
Movie reviewer.

AncientPC
01-26-2005, 03:49 AM
I'd be like Peter and just do nothing.

eric5148
01-26-2005, 04:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Quote:

Right. Jobs like this one that are awesome if you're single blow huge ass chunks if you've got a woman to listen to every day bitching about how you're not there and then you've gotta go home and be her prisoner the whole time because you've gotta make up time. I've gone away from home for work for weeks/months at a time where it would've actually been pretty cool if not for this exact problem.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am never ever ever ever getting married.

Stu Pidasso
01-26-2005, 05:15 AM
I stay at home collecting a guaranteed wage till they call me. When they call me I get on a train and travel to another city. 95% of the transit time I am sleeping, playing video games on my laptop, or watching movies. When I get to my destination I immeadiately go to my hotel to "rest" for at least 8 hours. If am at the hotel for more than 12 hours I begin to get paid an hourly penalty (about $20 an hour). On the return trip I can sleep, watch movies, play video games, again about 95% of the time. I can make $75k/year without breaking into a sweat.

Stu

youtalkfunny
01-26-2005, 08:08 AM
My 8 years of legal bookmaking consisted almost entirely of:

--watching tv
--surfing the web
--talking about sports with people who knew what they were talking about, as opposed to the average radio caller
--talking about converting real life things into gambling numbers
--matching wits with "The Wise Guys"

I had to give it up when we started a family, and I needed a higher salary. But they're in the book as the best 8 years of my life.

nicky g
01-26-2005, 08:50 AM
Restaurant reviewer/games reviewer. I'd prefer the former but settle for the latter.