PDA

View Full Version : I Didn't Study For This Test, I'm Cool

theBruiser500
01-25-2005, 06:37 AM
Justin A's post reminded me of this attitude in high school which irked me. There were a lot of people who didn't do homework or study for tests and then they would say something like "yeah, i didn't study for this test or do any homework all semester! i don't pay attention in class either! oh well!" then a week later they will say "look man, i got a B on that test, and I didn't study at all, it was so easy."

As if their indifferent attitude is the coolest thing ever (plus they are geniuses, they got a B on a test while doing no work), but even worse than that is that these people do their homework and are just making [censored] up. When they said they didn't study what they really mean is they didn't do the extra credit assignment and they ONLY reviewed for an hour or two. Bogus.

The_Individual
01-25-2005, 06:40 AM

theBruiser500
01-25-2005, 06:42 AM
Exactly, it's really just impossible to get some grades in some classes without paying attention in class or doing homework. I mean, where the hell did you learn the material if not from doing some form of work for class?

GuyOnTilt
01-25-2005, 06:46 AM
Hey Bruiser,

Some people probably really didn't have to study in high school. I went to a private school with hard courses and hard instructors, and I barely had to study, and only for some courses. My senior year advanced calc and logic courses I did a combined three days of work/studying outside of class between both semesters. Lit and History and all my sciences I always had to study a little for, but not that much. Judging by the exams some of my friends would bring home from their public high schools, I very seriously doubt I would've had to study or do work outside of class at all for a lot of those courses. A lot of it will depend on where you went to high school. More will depend on how quickly you're able to learn, do busy work, and remember info for exams by just glancing at it. But it's not hard for me to believe that some people really could get through lower level high school tracks with zero studying or work outside of class with a 3.0.

GoT

Justin A
01-25-2005, 06:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Exactly, it's really just impossible to get some grades in some classes without paying attention in class or doing homework. I mean, where the hell did you learn the material if not from doing some form of work for class?

[/ QUOTE ]

It was supposed to be from the textbook. If it makes you feel better, I've been studying off and on since I woke up today.

Evan
01-25-2005, 06:50 AM
I was the person you hated in high school, well not exactly. I honestly never did study for a test, although I never thought it was all that cool. It was just the way I learned. For me, sitting and reading the text books or going over my notes never helped me at all. I won't say I never did homework, but I definitely didn't do much my senior year and I would say it bordered on none.

Its not somethign I bragged about, because frankly I'm not a douche bag loser, but I never saw the benefit to studying. Some people do, good for them.

Justin A
01-25-2005, 06:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Justin A's post reminded me of this attitude in high school which irked me. There were a lot of people who didn't do homework or study for tests and then they would say something like "yeah, i didn't study for this test or do any homework all semester! i don't pay attention in class either! oh well!" then a week later they will say "look man, i got a B on that test, and I didn't study at all, it was so easy."

As if their indifferent attitude is the coolest thing ever (plus they are geniuses, they got a B on a test while doing no work), but even worse than that is that these people do their homework and are just making [censored] up. When they said they didn't study what they really mean is they didn't do the extra credit assignment and they ONLY reviewed for an hour or two. Bogus.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think you're necessarily referring to me, but I will say it is possible to get good grades with either not studying or not doing homework. But you can't do it without doing either. In high school I tended to do all my homework but skip the studying. In college I do the opposite, I don't do any work and skip most of my classes, and then cram before the test. My plan has been partially foiled this time as I have the wrong book from which to cram for the test.

The Dude
01-25-2005, 06:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
When they said they didn't study what they really mean is they didn't do the extra credit assignment and they ONLY reviewed for an hour or two. Bogus.

[/ QUOTE ]
Having spent less time studying in high school than anyone I know (excluding the group of kids who took more than 4 years to finish school), I don't see anything unbelievable about going through all four years studying for a test.

Math, Chemistry, Physics, English - well, let's just say any class that wasn't Spanish, biology, or history - I never studied for. And by never, I mean a combined 1 hour would be generous for all those classes.

While I know I am very smart, I also know there are many people out there smarter than me. High school bored the hell out of me. I make no apologies. I see no reason why I should have worked harder in school. So why should I begrudge those who were enough smarter than me to have never had to study?

jimymat
01-25-2005, 07:13 AM
You never did PM about that thing.

dr. klopek
01-25-2005, 07:52 AM
Sorry man, but in high school I never did homework or extra credit and I crushed the tests. And yes, that makes me kinda cool.

apd138
01-25-2005, 09:14 AM
My grades were fairly average during high school, but that was due to doing absolutely none of the work. The only thing that kept me passing was getting A's on the tests in 80% of my classes yes I did do poorly sometimes, but for the most part I did not study at all. The material is all gone over in class two or three times sometimes, if you pay even a little attention you will be fine. As for history I would say 70% of high school history is re hashing the elementary and middle school history you already learned. In college I do have to study cause I am not a genius by any means, even by Dutch Boyd standards. Also if you took advanced classes in high school this would change my opinion of having to study but if you really didn't want to study in high school you could set your schedule up so you wouldn't have to.

AncientPC
01-25-2005, 09:18 AM
I was one of these people in HS, but most of my grades were B's in AP classes. Going to class and doing the mandatory homework was enough, I didn't need to study.

The same mentality f*cked me over in college, since homework was no longer mandatory I never did it and always fell behind. Also, I didn't really have a good studying system as well.

spamuell
01-25-2005, 09:43 AM
I bet there are lots of people on these boards who barely studied during high school and achieved very highly.

I don't know about the American school system but in England, it was fairly easy to do very little/no work outside of class. In essay subjects, as long as you can write well and have some knowledge, it's pretty easy to appear like you know a lot and skirt around what you don't know. Also if you know how exams work and how they're marked (and by the end of secondary school you should given you've been doing public exams in the same subjects for three consecutive years) then it's pathetically easy to exploit that.

I don't know, maybe some people are lying but I am certain that if you're smart and you go to class and pay attention at the right times, and it's fairly easy to tell from the atmosphere of your classmates when these are, you should be able to do very well on tests in high school with no studying at all.

jakethebake
01-25-2005, 10:23 AM
Yep. That was me. I might have done 10 homework assignments in 4 years. Never studied. I sorta halfway paid attention in class. I was a B student.

Piz0wn0reD!!!!!!
01-25-2005, 10:47 AM
I rarely did my homework and very rarely studied for tests. I got like a 2.8 or something. Highschool is easy.

ThaSaltCracka
01-25-2005, 11:51 AM
High School was easy man, I use to do the homework the day it was due, and rarely if ever studied for tests. My cumulative GPA for four years was 3.44 and this was at a private school. I think a lot of teachers in HS never challenge their students, but in the case of my school, they pounded you freshmen year but after that it was smooth sailing.

mmbt0ne
01-25-2005, 12:11 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />
I think a lot of teachers in HS never challenge their students, but in the case of my school, they pounded you freshmen year but after that it was smooth sailing.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's because the brothers like the young ones.

vulturesrow
01-25-2005, 12:12 PM
I went to high school in a rural community. It was very easy, I never studied, instead spending my free time partying and playing sports. However I got my ass handed to me in college due to my complete lack of study skills. I had a roommate who never studied in college outside of homework. He literally sat in the room and played video games every night or went out drinking. He got straight As and was a finalist for one of those big national post-grad scholarships, I cant remember which. Luckily I graduated but it was iffy for a while. Of course my academic performance in college has had no meaningful ramifications since then, other than having to get a waiver to take post-grad courses.

beerbandit
01-25-2005, 12:22 PM
i hate people that lie about stupid [censored] like that

people lie about stupid [censored] all the time

i hate everybody

Schneids
01-25-2005, 12:49 PM
I studied tons in HS (sans senior year). I wish I still had that work ethic in college. IMO a majority of the classes I've taken in college (math excluded) are easier than the ones I took in HS.

turnipmonster
01-25-2005, 01:04 PM
I don't remember if I studied in HS, but I went to class a lot in college, on the advice of a suitemate who got 3 engineering degrees, and told me to go to class always, even if I didn't spend much time studying.

I do know that for me to memorize things quickly I need to either hear them (like in a lecture) or make them into some sort of activity, so for example if I had to memorize stuff for a history test the way I would study is to write a paper about what I needed to know.

--turnipmonster

sfer
01-25-2005, 01:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I studied tons in HS (sans senior year). I wish I still had that work ethic in college.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was the opposite. College was my wake up call and I really liked what I studied.

Reef
01-25-2005, 02:14 PM
I can honestly say I didn't do the homework or study for my honors physics class in high school. My homework portion of my grade hovered in the 20%'s. I didn't study for tests (good thing there were makeups).

But the thing that really boosted me over to a 'B' was the fact that my teacher was the advisor of a school club on campus and I was his star member.

SnakeRat
01-25-2005, 02:48 PM
I didn't need to pay attention or work to get a B average in highschool.
I dont think this makes me especially cool, and I am not making this up.

daryn
01-25-2005, 02:51 PM
notice how this thread ended up attracting all the people you would have hated in high school?

theBruiser500
01-25-2005, 02:55 PM
Okay many of you here are doing exactly what I say.

"I went to a private school with hard courses and hard instructors, and I barely had to study, and only for some courses"

"I always had to study a little for, but not that much."

"that was due to doing absolutely none of the work. The only thing that kept me passing was getting A's on the tests in 80% of my classes yes I did do poorly sometimes, but for the most part I did not study at all."

"Going to class and doing the mandatory homework was enough, I didn't need to study."

See you guys did do work you just don't want to admit it. I'm not saying you have to do all your homework and study the entire night before a test to do good in class, all I'm saying is that you did some work along the lines somewhere. Even if you didn't do the homework, and didn't study for the test I can buy that you did well on a test but you can't then say you didn't pay attention in class too.

And again, when you people are saying "i did absolutely no work" you apparently don't mean that in a literal sense because almost everyone above who said they don't do any work at all went on to qualify that by then saying something like, "just paying attention in class is enough, and doing a little of the HW and maybe studying just 1 hour for a test."

theBruiser500
01-25-2005, 02:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Snakerat see, how is it possible for you not to pay attention or do any work and get a B? You weren't born knowing the material for the class so WHERE THE [censored] DID YOU LEARN IT?

jakethebake
01-25-2005, 02:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
See you guys did do work you just don't want to admit it. I'm not saying you have to do all your homework and study the entire night before a test to do good in class, all I'm saying is that you did some work along the lines somewhere. Even if you didn't do the homework, and didn't study for the test I can buy that you did well on a test but you can't then say you didn't pay attention in class too.

And again, when you people are saying "i did absolutely no work" you apparently don't mean that in a literal sense because almost everyone above who said they don't do any work at all went on to qualify that by then saying something like, "just paying attention in class is enough, and doing a little of the HW and maybe studying just 1 hour for a test."

[/ QUOTE ]
Do you have a point? Any point at all? I really don't think anyone would ever say I never did a single homework assignment, or studied a single minute, and wore earplugs and blindfolds to school every day and got all As. Obviously when someone says they did no work, they mean very little. Regardless, let's face it, high school was a joke.

turnipmonster
01-25-2005, 03:00 PM
people exaggerate on stuff like this all the time. when someone says they haven't slept in two days, they generally don't mean it literally.

jakethebake
01-25-2005, 03:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Snakerat see, how is it possible for you not to pay attention or do any work and get a B? You weren't born knowing the material for the class so WHERE THE [censored] DID YOU LEARN IT?

[/ QUOTE ]

Bruiser,
I learned very little in school. But I learned to read when I was 2 and probably spent like 6 hours a day reading for the first 14 years of my life. It's not that hard to gaina good base of knowledge that way.

Sponger15SB
01-25-2005, 03:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I was one of these people in HS, but most of my grades were B's in AP classes. Going to class and doing the mandatory homework was enough, I didn't need to study.

The same mentality f*cked me over in college, since homework was no longer mandatory I never did it and always fell behind. Also, I didn't really have a good studying system as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah that was me. Except replace B's in honors and AP classes with C's

I've got a 750 word essay due at 5pm that I haven't started and haven't even read the two short stories I'm suppose to be comparing, instead I'm posting on 2+2 in our school library.

ThaSaltCracka
01-25-2005, 03:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] Its called retention. Some subjects stick to me like glue when I just hear someone lecture on them, some subjects I had to study for. Some people simply have really good retention skills. Are you the type of learner that has to write things down? A note taker? Some people in highschool took a lot of notes and all that writing helps for you to retain what you are learning. It may sound pretty silly, but I rarely, if ever studied simply because I either knew it or I didn't. Cramming has never done anything for me.

bunky9590
01-25-2005, 03:14 PM
I always "got things" really quickly. Literally didnt take a book home. I could hear the lessons in class and "have it" just gifted that way I guess.

One teacher used to get really pissed off. Called my father in for a parent/teacher confrence because I was not handing in homework assignments (freshman year). I was working 6 days a week after school. My father politely asked what I was scoring on my tests and exams. She wouldn't answer, he asked her again. She replied he has an average of "98".

His reply? Why do you think he needs to do homework if he is Aceing every test? Are you that anal that he needs to do 2 hours of homework a night on material he obviously knows?

You flunk him and I'll see you in court.

I aced the course. Go figure.

She still hates me to this day.

The real fun thing about high school was showing up the teachers when you literally knew more than them.

I was required in college to take an "intro to business management" course. I could have tought the damn thing and we had some adjunct prof that never ran a business in his life teaching it. I pulled him aside after class on te third night and politely explained the situation between us ( I pointed out his glaring mistakes) I never showed back up for class and got a "gentleman's A".

Thank god I'm not in school anymore. I have little patience.

daryn
01-25-2005, 03:22 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] Its called retention. Some subjects stick to me like glue when I just hear someone lecture on them, some subjects I had to study for. Some people simply have really good retention skills. Are you the type of learner that has to write things down? A note taker? Some people in highschool took a lot of notes and all that writing helps for you to retain what you are learning. It may sound pretty silly, but I rarely, if ever studied simply because I either knew it or I didn't. Cramming has never done anything for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

right but his point is, don't claim you didn't even pay attention in class. if that were true, you'd have nothing to retain.

vulturesrow
01-25-2005, 03:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]

"I went to a private school with hard courses and hard instructors, and I barely had to study, and only for some courses"

"that was due to doing absolutely none of the work. The only thing that kept me passing was getting A's on the tests in 80% of my classes yes I did do poorly sometimes, but for the most part I did not study at all."

"Going to class and doing the mandatory homework was enough, I didn't need to study."

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe you shouldve titled your post, "I'm a nit".

Tron
01-25-2005, 03:43 PM
Ehhh... During high school I was usually able to pick everything up I'd need for the tests in math and science courses, and English more or less came naturally to me. I acutally studied a lot for history, though, but I tried not to study alone.

CORed
01-25-2005, 04:02 PM
I never studied for tests or took notes until I was in college. I sometimes did homework, but I was pretty lazy about it. I won't claim to be a genius, but I have a pretty good memory (not as good now as it was when I was in high school). Half the time in high school, I didn't even know there was a test that day until I showed up. My attitude in high school was that if I could get a B for minimal work, then I wasn't going to knock myself out to get an A. I'm not proud of this now, but that's how I was. About halfway through freshman year in college, I realized that I was going to have to put a little more effort into it, and I started taking notes and reviewing for tests.

brassnuts
01-25-2005, 04:06 PM
Sadly, I carried this work ethic over into college. Except, I never really thought I was cool because of it; it was just the way I did things. I think my problem in college was more of minor depression than anything else though. And, of course, the depression was recursive as I got more uphappy about things, my grades worsened and I would go to school and care less.

AncientPC
01-25-2005, 04:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Studying to me means setting aside time to prepare for a test, or basically doing anything beyond what was mandatory like rereading over notes before a test, going to study sessions before / after schools, etc.

Sponger15SB
01-25-2005, 04:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Studying to me means setting aside time to prepare for a test, or basically doing anything beyond what was mandatory like rereading over notes before a test, going to study sessions before / after schools, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are we getting into semantics now?

stud·y ( P ) Pronunciation Key (std)
n. pl. stud·ies

The act or process of studying.
The pursuit of knowledge, as by reading, observation, or research.
Attentive scrutiny.
A branch of knowledge.
studies A branch or department of learning: graduate studies.

A work, such as a thesis, that results from studious endeavor.
A literary work on a particular subject.
A preliminary sketch, as for a work of art or literature.
Music. A composition intended as a technical exercise.
A state of mental absorption: She is in a deep study.
A room intended or equipped for studying or writing.
One who memorizes something, especially a performer who memorizes a part: He is a quick study.

v. stud·ied, stud·y·ing, stud·ies
v. tr.
To apply one's mind purposefully to the acquisition of knowledge or understanding of (a subject).
To read carefully.
To memorize.
To take (a course) at a school.
To inquire into; investigate.
To examine closely; scrutinize.
To give careful thought to; contemplate: study the next move.

v. intr.
To apply oneself to learning, especially by reading.
To pursue a course of study.
To ponder; reflect.

theBruiser500
01-25-2005, 04:08 PM
"Half the time in high school, I didn't even know there was a test that day until I showed up."

I would be very surprised if this were true for 1/5 or even 1/10 of all your tests. This is a typical exaggeration.

jakethebake
01-25-2005, 04:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"Half the time in high school, I didn't even know there was a test that day until I showed up."

I would be very surprised if this were true for 1/5 or even 1/10 of all your tests. This is a typical exaggeration.

[/ QUOTE ]

Although I'm not sure why it would matter if it were an exaggeration, that would not be an exaggeration for me. It was probably over 1/2. I didn't even have a notebook for most of my classes.

theBruiser500
01-25-2005, 04:12 PM
WOW!! No notebook OMG OMG OMG, what a rebel.

daryn
01-25-2005, 04:14 PM

[/ QUOTE ]

wow, bruiser really owning in this thread.

ilya
01-25-2005, 04:16 PM
I hate that pose. I studied a shitload in high school and I really resented people who pretended they didn't.

jakethebake
01-25-2005, 04:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not really sure how he's owning? He's wrong. If he had to work as hard as it seems, he's actually quite stupid.

BeerMoney
01-25-2005, 04:19 PM
I didn't study in HS, and as such got lousy grades. I agree with what you said, and what GOT said. But, GOT has to realize the % of people who don't have to do much is VERY VERY small. The % who say they don't study is far higher than those who actually don't have to.

Like the poster said, how can you ace a history test if you slept in class, didn't read the book, and didn't do the homework. Just not possible.

jakethebake
01-25-2005, 04:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Like the poster said, how can you ace a history test if you slept in class, didn't read the book, and didn't do the homework. Just not possible.

[/ QUOTE ]
You're wrong.

vulturesrow
01-25-2005, 04:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Easy. As Jake pointed out, you can learn as much or more from the library than you can in a high school class. That was pretty much what I did in high school. My sole purpose in going to school was to play sports and decide where we were going to party that night. Every Saturday I would go to the public library and check out a bunch of books. Nothing in high school was new to me. My only caveat is that I did admittedly attend a pretty mediocre school.

daryn
01-25-2005, 04:23 PM

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not really sure how he's owning? He's wrong. If he had to work as hard as it seems, he's actually quite stupid.

[/ QUOTE ]

actually he mentioned that he didn't really work much. not sure if it's in the thread, maybe he just mentioned it to me.

he's not wrong.

Freakin
01-25-2005, 04:23 PM
There was a guy in my drivers ed class about 7 years ago that stuck out in my mind. If you've seen Napoleon Dynamite, he was perfectly like the popular jock guy with the bleached hair. He onced bragged in the class, that he "never finished a book in his life".... I was somewhat floored by this.... The man was a total moron in every way, but to actually be bragging about this to try to pick up girls was unbelievable (though it seems to have worked).

On a side note, later in a class my instructor asked "Does anyone here play poker" and this guy says "Hell yeah!"... instructor says "Ok, in poker, what is a straight?"
Stupid jock guy responds with "It's when everything is going really good for you and things are just like clicking"

My super smartass friend in the class yells "The man knows nothing!"...
he had small crumpled balls of paper thrown at him by stupid jock guy and his lackies for the next 5 or 6 classes...

Man, I hate highschoolers...

Freakin

daryn
01-25-2005, 04:24 PM

[/ QUOTE ]

Easy. As Jake pointed out, you can learn as much or more from the library than you can in a high school class. That was pretty much what I did in high school. My sole purpose in going to school was to play sports and decide where we were going to party that night. Every Saturday I would go to the public library and check out a bunch of books. Nothing in high school was new to me. My only caveat is that I did admittedly attend a pretty mediocre school.

[/ QUOTE ]

but you do learn it at some point. who cares if you learn it from class, or from the history channel on TV. studying = learning.

jakethebake
01-25-2005, 04:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
he's not wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]
He's wrong. Just because you can't do it, doesn't mean it's not possible. Like I said: I did maybe 10 homework assignments in 4 years. I kinda-sorta halfway paid attention in class, meaning I probably slept through 1/4 of them. I rarely knew when I had an exam, much less studied for it. I may have studied for a couple of finals, but no other tests.
Jr. &amp; Sr. years I left after lunch maybe half the time. Most of what's taught in highschool, with the exception (in my case anyway) of math, isn't really advanced material or even new to anyone that spends any significant amount of time reading.

daryn
01-25-2005, 04:41 PM
he's not wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]
He's wrong. Just because you can't do it, doesn't mean it's not possible. Like I said: I did maybe 10 homework assignments in 4 years. I kinda-sorta halfway paid attention in class, meaning I probably slept through 1/4 of them. I rarely knew when I had an exam, much less studied for it. I may have studied for a couple of finals, but no other tests.
Jr. &amp; Sr. years I left after lunch maybe half the time. Most of what's taught in highschool, with the exception (in my case anyway) of math, isn't really advanced material or even new to anyone that spends any significant amount of time reading.

[/ QUOTE ]

you're not paying attention man. you say he's wrong and it's clear you have no idea what he's talking about.

jakethebake
01-25-2005, 04:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
you're not paying attention man. you say he's wrong and it's clear you have no idea what he's talking about.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually I think it's clear you have no idea what this arguement is.

daryn
01-25-2005, 04:51 PM

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I kinda-sorta halfway paid attention in class,

[/ QUOTE ]

in other words you paid attention, thus agreeing with bruiser.

meaning I probably slept through 1/4 of them.

[/ QUOTE ]

there's almost no chance this is true.

I may have studied for a couple of finals, but no other tests.

[/ QUOTE ]

hmm.. seems like you studied a bit, agreeing with bruiser again?

Most of what's taught in highschool, with the exception (in my case anyway) of math, isn't really advanced material or even new to anyone that spends any significant amount of time reading.

[/ QUOTE ]

so at one point you did some reading and learned the material? sounds like studying.

BeerMoney
01-25-2005, 04:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He never studied for spelling tests either.. Argument.

jimdmcevoy
01-25-2005, 04:56 PM
Okay, I would like to out-due everyone on this thread:

For my third year General Relativity exam in University (I got a degree in Advanced Science Physics, honours) they allowed you to bring in one A4 sheet of paper with whatever you wanted on it as long as it was handwritten.

Well my friends, not only did I not bother to bring in this sheet of paper, I barely studied for the exam, only occasionally showed up to class, AND got a better grade than all my friends in this class!!

I'm too cool for words.

And just to clarify, I never even wrote a cheet sheet in the first place!

Sponger15SB
01-25-2005, 05:00 PM
So what you're saying is that you did study?

By the way the logic behind the cheat sheet is that you learn a lot by just writing out the sheet so you don't even use it on the test. It basically tricks you into studying.

jakethebake
01-25-2005, 05:01 PM
If you'll read my earlierr posts, the absolute argmuent was already declared moot. The argumeent was continued under that assumption. I stand by the sleeping in probably 1/4 of my classes. I rarely slept at night. Reading for pleasuere in almost no way resembles studying. There were textbooks that never left my locker.

jimdmcevoy
01-25-2005, 05:03 PM
Yep, it's a true story but I'm on Brusier's side here, everyone seems to have a story like this. My post was an attempt at sarcasm.

BeerMoney
01-25-2005, 05:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you'll read my earlierr posts, the absolute argmuent was already declared moot. The argumeent was continued under that assumption. I stand by the sleeping in probably 1/4 of my classes. I rarely slept at night. Reading for pleasuere in almost no way resembles studying. There were textbooks that never left my locker.

[/ QUOTE ]

So, you're Good Will Hunting.

That'd be like bragging about not studying for a physics test in kinematics when you already learned it in Calculus class. Stop being so caught up in how awesome you are..

"I studied what I want, I wasn't gonna do what the man made me...." "But I still kicked ass........" Swell your ego down a notch please.

jakethebake
01-25-2005, 05:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Okay, I would like to out-due everyone on this thread:

For my third year General Relativity exam in University (I got a degree in Advanced Science Physics, honours) they allowed you to bring in one A4 sheet of paper with whatever you wanted on it as long as it was handwritten.

Well my friends, not only did I not bother to bring in this sheet of paper, I barely studied for the exam, only occasionally showed up to class, AND got a better grade than all my friends in this class!!

I'm too cool for words.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure what A4 paper is. But I did something similar. I went to a finance final no knowing we were allowed to bring notes and aced it. I was the second one finished and got a 96. But I did study because i really liked finance.

BeerMoney
01-25-2005, 05:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
But I did something similar. I went to a finance final no knowing we were allowed to bring notes and aced it. I was the second one finished and got a 96.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pull your pants down now please. I really feel the need to blow you.

jakethebake
01-25-2005, 05:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So, you're Good Will Hunting.

[/ QUOTE ]
No. That was sort of half my point. You don't have to be Will Hunting to get through high school if you've halfway educated yourself.

daryn
01-25-2005, 05:12 PM
Reading for pleasuere in almost no way resembles studying

[/ QUOTE ]

i guess this is where we disagree. i see no logical reason why you can't enjoy studying.

if you're reading a book you enjoy, and learning material that is gonna be on a test, you are studying.

jakethebake
01-25-2005, 05:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
if you're reading a book you enjoy, and learning material that is gonna be on a test, you are studying.

[/ QUOTE ]

But if read a lot of books for pleasure, without knowing that the information will be on a test a few years down the road...? Oh [censored] it i give up. I studied all the time. I was in the chess club. I was a mathlete. I studied morning, noon &amp; night. I studied at home, at school, at work. I read every word in every textbook twice. I even humped a textbook once I loved them so much.

daryn
01-25-2005, 05:24 PM
i see you've taken the high road in this friendly argument. good luck with that.

BeerMoney
01-25-2005, 06:19 PM
Please, let's not forget, "I was totally hung over when I took the SAT's." Or, not to be outdone by his bigger, tougher, older brother "I was still drunk when I took the SAT's." Both translate to: "My parents spent $2000 on Princeton and Kaplan Test prep so I could break the minimum to get into this school."

jakethebake
01-25-2005, 10:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Please, let's not forget, "I was totally hung over when I took the SAT's." Or, not to be outdone by his bigger, tougher, older brother "I was still drunk when I took the SAT's." Both translate to: "My parents spent $2000 on Princeton and Kaplan Test prep so I could break the minimum to get into this school."

[/ QUOTE ]
Since you mention it... /images/graemlins/grin.gif
I took them SAT my junior year with the intention of retaking my senior year, but went out the night before the retake and overslept so I never got the retake. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

jimdmcevoy
01-25-2005, 10:13 PM
Ah yes, the hungover SAT, a classic. The best I can do in this area was getting a 580 in math in 7th grade with zero prep. Although I got a 220 in Verbal at the same time, my vocabulary is very bad.

jakethebake
01-25-2005, 10:20 PM
I had a decent score but it didn't matter anyway. I went in the Marines. My DIs didn't care about my SAT score.

ClaytonN
01-25-2005, 10:22 PM
I improved my SAT verbal score by 110 points by not trying (i.e. focusing really hard on the math part, and not worrying so much about verbal).

Weird...

Voltron87
01-25-2005, 10:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I just read through all 70 posts in this thread and there have been about 5 of beermoney's responses which I've said "I'll come back and laugh at that" but they just kept on coming...

Voltron87
01-25-2005, 10:33 PM
In high school I never studied. There were entire English books that I straight up did not open. Nothing. History, I barely ever studied. AP Calc, didn't take notes. AP Physics... now that was truly a joke.

The only time I would ever talk about this was to annoy people who spend every goddamn minute of their lives worrying about getting into a name brand college, meeting a teacher, worrying some more, and thinking about how good a college they could get into so they could name drop it. There were kids who got tutored for the SATS twice a week, I let them know that I got what they got without studying (not that I did boy phenomish on it, just really well). But I never did it to straight up hardworking kids who didn't brag or who were good people. I did it to piss of generally unintelligent kids who were too caught up in the college race. There's a fine line there, but I did it not to brag (I'm really not too proud of how I handled HS) but to piss certain people off.

At the end of the day my slacking didn't really affect me in some areas, still got the A's and the 5 on the AP and in others its something I really regret, like English, and the AP Physics AP (Got a 1 baby! but thats a long story).

Another long story is how I somehow was given permission to skip ahead and take the elementary school system through lightspeed (I graduated at a really young 16, when I graduated HS every single eleventh grader was older than me and a bunch of the tenth graders too. Loooooong story.

apd138
01-25-2005, 11:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] That third is a quote from my post and the rest of it would say that yes I paid attention in class, no I didn't do any work, and yes I got A's on most tests without studying for them (outside of class). Also this only applies to high school and bs easy college classes like accounting or economics

benthehen
01-26-2005, 03:25 AM
I don't know about your high school, but anyone who claims to be a B student without doing any homework is full of [censored]. I'm not sure, but I think homework consists of 20% or more of your grade. So it's kinda impossible to get a B or an A without doing homework.

theBruiser500
01-26-2005, 03:30 AM
Yes, a very good point. In some of my classes it was 33%.

GuyOnTilt
01-26-2005, 03:32 AM
I don't know about your high school, but anyone who claims to be a B student without doing any homework is full of [censored]. I'm not sure, but I think homework consists of 20% or more of your grade. So it's kinda impossible to get a B or an A without doing homework.

Completely dependant on your instructor.

GoT

Michael Davis
01-26-2005, 03:50 AM
"if you're reading a book you enjoy, and learning material that is gonna be on a test, you are studying."

Welcome to graduate school in the humanities. The trick is still enjoying the stuff by the time you're done...

-Michael

benthehen
01-26-2005, 03:50 AM
In college there are alot of courses with no required homework, but I remember the grades in highschool being highly dependent on homework.

GuyOnTilt
01-26-2005, 03:57 AM
In college there are alot of courses with no required homework, but I remember the grades in highschool being highly dependent on homework.

You mean you remember your grades in your highschool being highly dependant on homework.

GoT

ThaSaltCracka
01-26-2005, 04:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]

You mean you remember your grades in your highschool being highly dependant on homework.

GoT

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha, some classes in HS had lots of homework and some essentially had none, this shouldn't be new to anyone.

benthehen
01-26-2005, 04:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]

GoT

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I mean I remember the syllabus usually had homework consisting of 20% or more of the final grade.

GuyOnTilt
01-26-2005, 04:21 AM
No, I mean I remember the syllabus usually had homework consisting of 20% or more of the final grade.

Ah yes, now I understand your point. You reading comprehension much?

GoT

benthehen
01-26-2005, 04:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Ah yes, now I understand your point. You reading comprehension much?

GoT

[/ QUOTE ]

There was ambiguity.

BeerMoney
01-26-2005, 09:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]

The only time I would ever talk about this was to annoy people who spend every goddamn minute of their lives worrying about getting into a name brand college, meeting a teacher, worrying some more, and thinking about how good a college they could get into so they could name drop it. There were kids who got tutored for the SATS twice a week, I let them know that I got what they got without studying

[/ QUOTE ]

I can respect that.

theBruiser500
01-26-2005, 11:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]

GoT

[/ QUOTE ]

"Haha, some classes in HS had lots of homework and some essentially had none, this shouldn't be new to anyone. "

What are you talking about GoT and TSC? If you are saying that your grades in high school were not dependant on homework you are either lying or the exception to the rule. The only class I can think of right now that didn't require homework was my math class where if you got an A- or better on the last test you didn't need to do any hw until the next test. There is absolutely no way that most classes in most HS's in this country don't base a big percent of the grade on HW.

SnakeRat
01-26-2005, 09:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I learned most of what is required knowledge in highschool through day to day life outside of a class or homework situation.

Examples: Watching TV, reading books, conversations with friends/family. A little discovery channel plus history channel went a long way for me.

This plus naturally sharp logic and writing skills = 3.0 with no effort. I used up the maximum allowed absences every semester, and the rest of the time sat in class daydreaming about sports, videogames, and pussy all day.

Now I am in college studying Organic Chemistry, and my non-existant study habits have been forced to improve. Sadly Sesame Street didn't discuss nuclear magnetic resonance.

Duke
01-26-2005, 10:01 PM
The only refutation I can offer is that sometimes people have already learned certain material on their own several years earlier, so when they actually take a class they already know the stuff.

No, I didn't do math homework. No, I didn't pay attention in class. Yes, I had already taught myself the stuff years earlier. Yes, I never got less than an A.

So you're right, nobody can do well in school without knowing anything, but when they learn it much earlier than they were "expected" to, they end up not doing anything and still getting A's in that particular class. And I -did- get a B in high school. Second semester AP US History. I should have done more of the reading than I did (see, I did do some of it).

~D

Duke
01-26-2005, 10:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My calculus class was only 10% homework, so I got lucky. And the tests offered more than 100 possible "percent" if you did the extra credit problems or whatever.

~D

B Dids
01-27-2005, 01:37 AM
I didn't study much in HS because I just learn a lot better as part of in class instruction than looking at a book. I was able to get by with minimal out of class effort and hold a 3.49999999 GPA.

That screwed me in college, 'cause A- I never went to class B- I developed horrible study habits and couldn't apply them when I needed it.