PDA

View Full Version : Please help me uninstall Windows XP.

partygirluk
01-23-2005, 01:54 PM
For those who did not read my previous thread, I have been having internet woes. I have dial-up, and switched PCs. Since then my connection is very temperemental. Soemtimes it is fine, sometimes slow, and it dies at random and annoying moments. Sometimes disconnecting and reconnecting works, sometimes not.

A couple of kind users helped me out, and suggested I download System Mechanic and sort out my registry. Whilst this does seem to have improved things, they are still unacceptable. I have downloaded Norton as a final throw of the dice, but failing this I am going to uninstall and reinstall XP Pro in the hope it does the job.

I looked at XP help and it said to uninstall I have to go to Control Pane;/AddRemove Programs and select "Windows Xp". However, "Windows XP is not listed". There are lots of "Windows XP Hotfix" and the like, but no main file.

How do I proceed?

partygirluk
01-23-2005, 02:36 PM
BTW I put my XP cd in the PC, and it had no uninstall option.

It did have "upgrade" and "new" install options, which I was tempted to use. However, I am unsure how thorough these would be.

AngryCola
01-23-2005, 02:50 PM
Widows XP can't be uninstalled from the add/remove prgrams thing. It's not as if it's a regular windows program.
It IS windows.

Let me ask you this, what are you going to do after it's uninstalled? You better have a plan here.

I think I remember your thread. The big thing here is that you are probably going to have to format the drive to get what you're looking for.

Honestly, I'm really not sure what you're trying to do here. So don't format or anything else like that.

Why are your trying to uninstall XP?
Do you have a FULL INSTALL disc to reload windows XP after it's uninstalled? Have you made backups of your most essential files?

Reinstalling your OS isn't a very difficult process, but it's no cake walk either.

ChoicestHops
01-23-2005, 03:09 PM
Yeh, your problem is having a dial up connection.

Get rid of it and get cable or dsl.

wacki
01-23-2005, 03:11 PM
Just stick in the XP cd. Select install and then select repair current install. It's easy.

partygirluk
01-23-2005, 03:13 PM
On the original thread I was told to try looking at my registry, and if that failed, uninstall XP.

This P.C. came with Windows 98. So if I uninstall XP I think it will revert to 98? Then I will reinstall XP.

Do you think getting DSL will fix the problem? Because this same internet connection works fine on my other P.C., but not on this, which suggests it is a P.C. problem right? So broadband could also be [censored] up?

partygirluk
01-23-2005, 03:15 PM
I can not find that option. I have XP Pro.

wacki
01-23-2005, 03:18 PM
Stick the CD in and reboot. When you computer boots up select boot from CD. You have that option.

Here is full instructions

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Slacker13
01-23-2005, 03:19 PM
You can't just uninstall windows unless you really know what your doing. You can re-install it or you can re-format your hard drive which will erase all data on your cpu and you still need to know what you are doing, this isn't a problem where I would be seeking advice on a forum. You need to first get DSL and [censored] can dial up, then if the problem persist's then maybe you try re-installing windows etc, but don't go through all of this when your dial-up is more likely to be the problem. Did you try calling your dial-up provider. Also, try a new modem first, they are like $2 now adays and may fix all of your problems.

AngryCola
01-23-2005, 03:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Just stick in the XP cd. Select install and then select repair current install. It's easy.

[/ QUOTE ]

That may help. It stands a good chance.

I would try it.

But it's still not as thourough as a complete wipe.

*NOTE*
I'm not suggesting that anyone who doesn't know the the process for doing all this should go out and wipe their HDs.

You have to know what you're getting into when you do that. It's obviously essential to have all of the necessary drivers and programs collected and ready before you format everything.

One also needs a Windows full install disc.
For instance, you can use both a Windows 98 full install disc and a XP upgrade disc to perform a fresh install of XP on a system.

Slacker13
01-23-2005, 03:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Because this same internet connection works fine on my other P.C., but not on this, which suggests it is a P.C. problem right? So broadband could also be [censored] up?

[/ QUOTE ]
Try a new modem.

AngryCola
01-23-2005, 03:21 PM
Oh yeah, I remember that thread.

I think I suggested you find a hardware modem or update your drivers for the current modem you have installed.

That's worth a shot too.

AngryCola
01-23-2005, 03:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
this isn't a problem where I would be seeking advice on a forum.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why not?

I'm willing to bet at least 2-3 of the people who have replied on this thread know how to do all this stuff with ease.

*HINT*
I'm one of them.

Slacker13
01-23-2005, 04:22 PM
I should have re-phrased that differently. I agree there are many people here who are knowledgeable with cpu's but when you want to re format hard drives, and uninstall windows you should be combing thru the tech sites to be at least a little bit prepared.

stabn
01-23-2005, 05:14 PM
Yes and no. We can explain it at least as well as different tech sites can. And some of us know more about it than any tech sites. Simply misunderstanding us in the other thread and thinking 'reinstalling' means 'uninstalling and then installing' isn't that big a deal. partygirluk just thought an uninstall was needed when all he really had to do was boot the cd and install (if he has the correct media).

Russ McGinley
01-23-2005, 05:31 PM
Why are you thinking of reinstalling Windows for a modem problem? You can buy a new modem for $10, maybe less.

I might be confused by the way you are explaining things, though. If the SYSTEM runs fine, but you are experiencing problems with your online service, then it is your modem. If you are having problems with your computer outside of your online service, then what you need to do is reinstall Windows 98 if that was what the original operating system was (insert the CD, Boot from CD, Install on C: Drive). You'll want to back up anything you want to save first. NOTE: You cannot backup programs.

After you install 98, then you need to install XP from an upgrade CD.