PDA

View Full Version : How taboo is it to switch up beers at a bar?

pshreck
01-14-2005, 09:03 PM
I've only been 21 for about 8 months, but have been going to bars for those 8 months more than frequently.

I've noticed that it seems weird to change beer orders in the middle of the night. A few times I have been at an Irish pint night (2 bucks for Irish draughts), and have switched from Guinness to Smithwicks about 5 drinks in, and the bartender looked at me confused when I didnt stick with my first few drinks.

A few other times I switched from bud light to Coors light. In cases like those, it has nothing to do with taste, just I occasionally like to mix things up.

So... my friend asks me why I often switch up beer drinks, and I have no good answer. I have to agree with him though, no one else ever seems to do it, and bartenders seem to be miffed by it.

I just went to Montreal and only ordered Labatts for about 4 days, and it was great.

So.... why is it so weird to switch up beer orders?

BottlesOf
01-14-2005, 09:09 PM
[censored] that, halfway through the night, I usually don't even remember what I'm drinking, and if I do, I may wanna try something else. I say not taboo at all.

The bartender is miffed by you ordering a different beer? Hmmn, sounds like a well adjusted guy/girl.

TimM
01-14-2005, 09:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
bartenders seem to be miffed by it

[/ QUOTE ]

How is your tipping?

pshreck
01-14-2005, 09:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[censored] that, halfway through the night, I usually don't even remember what I'm drinking, and if I do, I may wanna try something else. I say not taboo at all.

The bartender is miffed by you ordering a different beer? Hmmn, sounds like a well adjusted guy/girl.

[/ QUOTE ]

It has actually happened twice, both times by a pseudo-hot 30 year old bartenders. Both times they were like "another guiness?" and Im like, "no, Ill have a Harp" or something... and they give me this weird look like I should go straight to hell.

Tosh
01-14-2005, 09:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How is your tipping?

[/ QUOTE ]

OMG you guys tip bartenders? WTF is wrong with your country and tipping?!?!?

pshreck
01-14-2005, 09:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How is your tipping?

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty strict dollar per drink, unless the bartender does something stupid like gives me only 5 dollar bills as change.

stabn
01-14-2005, 09:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]

OMG you guys tip bartenders? WTF is wrong with your country and tipping?!?!?

[/ QUOTE ]

If it moves we tip it.

ilya
01-14-2005, 09:23 PM
The only thing I can think of is that it makes the bartender's job harder on busy nights because she has to pay attention to you more than once.

I don't think you really need to worry about it though. Switch at your leisure!

BottlesOf
01-14-2005, 09:27 PM
You DON'T tip bartenders?!?!?

Do you tip cabbies? Who do you tip?

Tosh
01-14-2005, 09:30 PM
I tip a hot waitress who I think I may have a chance with. Other than that, not much, maybe a pizza dude when I'm stoned but noone else.

Cabbies? Bartenders? Dealers? You must be joking.

pshreck
01-14-2005, 09:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You DON'T tip bartenders?!?!?

Do you tip cabbies? Who do you tip?

[/ QUOTE ]

In Montreal, if you dont tip a bartender on two consecutive drinks, Its likely something will be said by him/her. I have never seen a bartender make a comment one way or the other in the US, which is where I do just about all my drinking.

BottlesOf
01-14-2005, 09:51 PM
Is this normal for the UK? Seriously.

And. Have you ever banged a waitress after she was waiting on you? Seriously.

Tosh
01-14-2005, 09:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Is this normal for the UK? Seriously.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah pretty much, tipping blows.

[ QUOTE ]
And. Have you ever banged a waitress after she was waiting on you? Seriously.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well only ones that I knew a little before hand, never one that I didn't know till she waited on me. Either way they can have a little tip for giving me something to look at.

Bez
01-14-2005, 09:58 PM
Why would you tip a cabbie? They rob you blind as it is. £30 from Leeds to Pontefract. That is close to being raped.

Evan
01-14-2005, 09:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
£30 from Leeds to Pontefract.

[/ QUOTE ]
/images/graemlins/shocked.gif <-- That's me being shocked.

[censored]
01-14-2005, 09:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It has actually happened twice, both times by a pseudo-hot 30 year old bartenders. Both times they were like "another guiness?" and Im like, "no, Ill have a Harp" or something... and they give me this weird look like I should go straight to hell.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bad form or not I'm not going to let some bitch influence what I order when her job description is to take it with a smile on her face.

Tosh
01-14-2005, 10:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Why would you tip a cabbie? They rob you blind as it is. £30 from Leeds to Pontefract. That is close to being raped.

[/ QUOTE ]

£20 to get from Nottingham Rock City to Sherwood last year when I was off my tits; I think that works out as about £6.66 a mile.

TimM
01-14-2005, 10:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

OK now this makes sense. WTF is with pseudo-hot bitches giving attitude when they are being paid to perform a service? I guess they get away with it because most guys are always too busy fawning to put them in their place.

One time I go to a Taco Bell drive thru late at night. I give my order, and the drive thru chick reads back with the total and says please have your money ready when you get to the window. OK, whatever. Well, there is no one else between me and the pick-up window, so I drive right up and then go for my wallet. And she gives me this snotty [censored]: "I said to have your money ready when you got to the window".

Of course she's this pseudo-hot blonde with a "I can't believe someone like me has to work at Taco Bell attitude". [censored] bitch. If I wasn't so hungry I'd have said [censored] you and drove off.

BottlesOf
01-14-2005, 10:17 PM
Nice. Next time I'm in England, I'm gonna save like 50 quid thanks to you guys letting me know what's what!

Tosh
01-14-2005, 10:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Nice. Next time I'm in England, I'm gonna save like 50 quid thanks to you guys letting me know what's what!

[/ QUOTE ]

2 things I don't get about Americans. First is why the [censored] you tip everything that moves and second is why you applaud in the cinema, I mean WTF!?!?

Evan
01-14-2005, 10:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
why you applaud in the cinema, I mean WTF!?!?

[/ QUOTE ]
Am I the only one not doing this?

pshreck
01-14-2005, 10:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

2 things I don't get about Americans. First is why the [censored] you tip everything that moves and second is why you applaud in the cinema, I mean WTF!?!?

[/ QUOTE ]

I can answer both. Tipping in almost all instances is worked into the pricing and the 'system'. If we didn't tip at restauarants, meals would be more expensive and waiters would get paid more.

If we didnt tip at bars, drinks would cost more and bartenders would get higher salaries.

It really has nothing to do with courtesy or thanks anymore, it is simply something built in to our society. It is comparable to the rise of Tivo. If Tivo continues to rise in popularity, or devices similar to it that eliminate commercials, we would start to have to pay for our major networks as well as huge price hikes for the cable networks.

Answer to your second question... I have been to hundreds of movies in the theater, and can not remember one where people clapped. Not sure where this stereo-type arose.

However, I went to a theater in Cambridge, England and had to freaking pick where I was gonna sit on some digital screen before I went into the theater. I was waiting for two friends, so we ended up sitting in different spots because of the dumb seating system. Explain that....

Tosh
01-14-2005, 10:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Answer to your second question... I have been to hundreds of movies in the theater, and can not remember one where people clapped. Not sure where this stereo-type arose.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well on every pirate copy that seems to circulate over here you can hear so many people clapping laughing etc. I watched alien vs predator last year and the people in that made me want to kill someone, bunch of idiots that would ruin it totally if I was in the cinema with them at the time.

[ QUOTE ]
However, I went to a theater in Cambridge, England and had to freaking pick where I was gonna sit on some digital screen before I went into the theater. I was waiting for two friends, so we ended up sitting in different spots because of the dumb seating system. Explain that....

[/ QUOTE ]

Organise your trips so you and your friends get there at the same time, or book in advance.

pshreck
01-14-2005, 10:40 PM
Your willing to watch the awful pirated copies off the video camera recording the movie screen? Id shoot myself before doing that.

Tosh
01-14-2005, 10:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Your willing to watch the awful pirated copies off the video camera recording the movie screen? Id shoot myself before doing that.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I got nothing better to do. I've seen 99% of the movies I watch like that already anyway so its just background noise.

Brain
01-14-2005, 10:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
why you applaud in the cinema, I mean WTF!?!?

[/ QUOTE ]
Am I the only one not doing this?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not at all, that's one of the dumbest things I've ever seen/heard. I didn't even bother with that other thread.