PDA

View Full Version : Golfers

Shajen
01-13-2005, 04:34 PM
What's your current handicap?
What's your best score?
How often do you play?
What's the best course you've ever played?

Shajen
01-13-2005, 04:38 PM
handicap is around 13
I shot 79 once. (par 72)
I haven't played since June of last year. I suck because of this.
I've yet to play a really really nice course. This adds to my suckitude.

wayabvpar
01-13-2005, 04:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What's your best score?
How often do you play?

[/ QUOTE ]

In order-
My swing (I am truly awful)
Over 100 (103 or 105 or so)
8-10 times/year
The Golf Club at Newcastle

I plan on finally taking some lessons this year.

Zoltri
01-13-2005, 04:42 PM
What's your current handicap?.............8
What's your best score?..................74
How often do you play?.................3/wk
What's the best course you've ever played?..TPC/Myrtle Beach

Lumpy
01-13-2005, 04:46 PM
About 17
20-30 rounds per/year
Green Mountain National G.C VT. Grand Cypress Resort FL.

lapoker17
01-13-2005, 04:47 PM
Probably about 17
Never anymore
Merion

Rick Diesel
01-13-2005, 04:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What's your best score?
How often do you play?

[/ QUOTE ]

12 last summer
78 - par 72
average about once a week from march - october
Torrey Pines, both North and South courses

plaster8
01-13-2005, 04:52 PM
Handicap: about 16
Best score: 78 (par 70)
I play twice a month or so when the weather's nice
Best course: TPC Snoqualmie Ridge

stabn
01-13-2005, 04:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]

In order-
My swing (I am truly awful)
Over 100 (103 or 105 or so)
8-10 times/year
The Golf Club at Newcastle

I plan on finally taking some lessons this year.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wonder how many seattle area 2+2ers golf. If there's enough we should have a seattle area golf day instead of paying a bunch of rake to the muck again /images/graemlins/smile.gif. I haven't played golf since i moved up here from Vancouver. I was in a company golf league down there (we all sucked), but I don't really know anyone up here that golfs so i haven't been gone. I like golf; but i'm way too lazy to go play on my own.

beerbandit
01-13-2005, 04:57 PM
dont really have a handicap now

but if i played a mediocre course right now i probably shoot between 78-85, depending on the beer of course

lowest score 33-35=68 par 72, i worked at a golf course when i was younger 16-21 and played for free w/ cart

i play now maybe 6-13 times a year and atleast one is a drunken scramble, i was on the team in college but only played in a few matches---competition was pretty tough

my favorite/best course that i played is the pohl cat in mt pleasant, mi --- awesome course, tough, well maintained

i ve played some sweet courses in fla and canada too, but cannot remember the names '

cheers

Gamblor
01-13-2005, 04:57 PM
Handicap: 13
Best Score: 79
Summer (5 months a year): 3x a week
Winter (7 months a year): 0x a week
Best course: Harbour Town, SC
Favourite course: Oakdale Golf & CC (my family's club)

LALDAAS
01-13-2005, 04:59 PM
does golden tee count

namknils
01-13-2005, 05:01 PM
-I have no idea what my curret handicap is, it's gotta be over 30 so it's not recorded.
-I'm not sure of my best score, I don't often play 18 just 9 and I would say in the mid 40's on a 35/36 par course or whatever.
-I play about 5 times a summer, that's it.
-Best Course I've played is Butler National in Oak Brook, IL.

Rick Diesel
01-13-2005, 05:12 PM
I kick azz at Golden Tee.

plaster8
01-13-2005, 05:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If there's enough we should have a seattle area golf day instead of paying a bunch of rake to the muck again

[/ QUOTE ]

Golf during the day, home game that night. Sounds good to me.

WEASEL45
01-13-2005, 05:16 PM
dont play anymore. was a 3 like a year ago
best score- 66 at a par 70
best course- shadow Creek

stabn
01-13-2005, 05:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Golf during the day, home game that night. Sounds good to me.

[/ QUOTE ]
That would definitely work. Someone bump this in june or july /images/graemlins/smile.gif.

TheRake
01-13-2005, 05:29 PM
I don't have a handicap anymore. I only play about twice a year and shoot 85-90. Last hadicap I had was 9 around 5 or 6 years ago.

best score = 74 on a par 72

Firestone CC

Beerfund
01-13-2005, 05:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What's your best score?
How often do you play?

[/ QUOTE ]

Handicap- bout 8 or 9
Best score- 69 on my home course, best round 71 in the Arizona 5A state championship
Play 2-3 times a week
Played; Spyglass at Pebble Beach, Troon North, TPC at Scottsdale, played the first 3 at Bethpage Black before they kicked us off for smuggling in beer /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Zoltri
01-13-2005, 05:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Played; Spyglass at Pebble Beach, Troon North, TPC at Scottsdale, played the first 3 at Bethpage Black before they kicked us off for smuggling in beer

[/ QUOTE ]
Impressive. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

offTopic
01-13-2005, 05:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't have an official one. Yahoo has me at 17.3

[ QUOTE ]
What's your best score?

[/ QUOTE ]

81 (par 70)

[ QUOTE ]
How often do you play?

[/ QUOTE ]

Spring/Summer/Fall: once or twice per week. Haven't picked up a club since early December.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably here (http://playthewolf.com/) - I was completely clueless on the front, but shot 41 on the back. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

CCx
01-13-2005, 05:51 PM
handicap - oh, it's up there
best score - 94
how often - usually 20-25 rounds per year
best course - i take a trip to myrtle twice a year, so it's hard to rank which are the best from down there, i've played quite a few of them!

Sundevils21
01-13-2005, 05:54 PM
76 on par 72(I was even making the turn)
twice a month(when on my h.s. golf team-every day)
Used to play the Raven every day after school. I've played Dragonridge in Vegas where Tiger held his off season tournament one year.
I've seen Michael Jordan and Charles Barkley at the Raven(different times).

I've also hit 3 hole in ones. All were within 2 years of having taken up the game(I've been too lucky). I also saw my friend/pastor hit an albatross(2 on a par 5).

Sundevils21
01-13-2005, 05:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
dont play anymore. was a 3 like a year ago

[/ QUOTE ]

Why did you quit? I would imagine it took a lot of time and effort to become a near scratch golfer.

slickpoppa
01-13-2005, 06:14 PM
I think a lot of you are full of sh*t. Only one person has admitted to having a handicap over 20. I caddied for 5 years and can almost guarantee that most people's handicaps should actually be about 6 strokes higher than they claim. During the club championship at the place I caddied at, when strict stroke play was strictly enforced, on average people's scores were much higher than their handicaps. I think the main reason is that most people give themselves too many putts that they would probably miss.

offTopic
01-13-2005, 06:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What's your best score?
How often do you play?

[/ QUOTE ]

Handicap- bout 8 or 9
Best score- 69 on my home course, best round 71 in the Arizona 5A state championship
Play 2-3 times a week
Played; Spyglass at Pebble Beach, Troon North, TPC at Scottsdale, played the first 3 at Bethpage Black before they kicked us off for smuggling in beer /images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

How is Troon North? My GF and I were thinking of planning a vacation around that area (we've generally liked the Troon Golf courses we've played).

sfer
01-13-2005, 06:50 PM
I caddied for several years and I concur.

plaster8
01-13-2005, 07:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think a lot of you are full of sh*t.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I was going to lie about my golfing "prowess" I'd have gone a lot lower than 16. Personally, I don't care if people know I'm a crappy golfer.

offTopic
01-13-2005, 07:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think a lot of you are full of sh*t. Only one person has admitted to having a handicap over 20. I caddied for 5 years and can almost guarantee that most people's handicaps should actually be about 6 strokes higher than they claim. During the club championship at the place I caddied at, when strict stroke play was strictly enforced, on average people's scores were much higher than their handicaps. I think the main reason is that most people give themselves too many putts that they would probably miss.

[/ QUOTE ]

Self-selected sample

Edited to add: ...and I play the ball down and putt everything out, so nyahh. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

slickpoppa
01-13-2005, 07:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If I was going to lie about my golfing "prowess" I'd have gone a lot lower than 16. Personally, I don't care if people know I'm a crappy golfer.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not saying that you personally are lying. Actually, I think for most people it is more like denial. A lot of people will have a bad day and not submit their score, saying to themselves something like, "I was distracted, or today does not count." Or oftentimes golfers will imagine that somebody moved or talked while they were putting. It's a similar phenomenom to gamblers who convince themselves that they are breaking even.

nolanfan34
01-13-2005, 07:12 PM
Handicap: 13

Low round: 79, twice

How often: Man, not often enough. Every couple of weeks in the summer if I'm lucky. More often it's weird spurts where I play like 3 times in a week, then go 3 weeks off.

Best course: Sahalee Country Club, site of the 1998 PGA Championship. Hopefully next year at this time I'll be able to say Bandon and Pacific Dunes as my answer.

plaster8
01-13-2005, 07:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm not saying that you personally are lying.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know.

I DO break even at gambling, though. Honest. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Zoltri
01-13-2005, 07:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I cant speak for anyone else but I have played golf since I was a kid. I work hard at it so I take pride in my ability.
As for honesty, anyone that plays golf as seriously as I do understands that lieing or cheating is the biggest golf sin anyone can commit.

plaster8
01-13-2005, 07:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Bandon and Pacific Dunes

[/ QUOTE ]

I need to get there, too. I hear playing in the fall or winter is awesome. Cheap, not crowded and the golf's not bad. I think I may go with a group of guys next November/December.

nolanfan34
01-13-2005, 07:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Bandon and Pacific Dunes

[/ QUOTE ]

I need to get there, too. I hear playing in the fall or winter is awesome. Cheap, not crowded and the golf's not bad. I think I may go with a group of guys next November/December.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, it's not the cheapest course on the planet. The worst is, it's out in the middle of nowhere, so I guess you either have to stay there at the hotel, or drive like an hour to get to another town with a hotel.

Supposed to be great there though, although I guess if it's raining and the wind blows at all, it's hard to even reach some of the fairways. From the white tees.

WEASEL45
01-13-2005, 07:43 PM
I couldnt practice alot so i got bad and it wasnt fun

ClaytonN
01-13-2005, 07:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What's your best score?
How often do you play?

[/ QUOTE ]

Handicap is probably near 25 now, since I haven't played in months.

Best score is 87.

I don't play nearly often enough. That'll change with college.

Best course I've ever played is Pinehurst #2.

brassnuts
01-13-2005, 07:54 PM
current handicap: unknown (at one time was 10-12)

best score: 78 (par 71) and shot par twice during nine hole matches in highschool.

how much played: probably twice a year

best course: never played on a really nice one, maybe silverado or this one i played in idaho (forget the name - not cour d'alene /images/graemlins/frown.gif )

Fianchetto
01-13-2005, 07:57 PM
handicap: 13
best score: 77 (5 over)
how often: about 30-40 rounds a year
best course: poipu bay, kauai. sweet course, although i hacked it up

Rick Diesel
01-13-2005, 08:20 PM
For me it is the opposite. I want my handicap to be as high as possible so that I can win my club tournaments. Therefore I make sure that I submit every bad round, however not necessarily all of the best rounds. Flame if you'd like, but I don't give a [censored].

Rick Diesel

judgesmails
01-13-2005, 08:25 PM
HDCP = 16
Best score = 67 (-4) I used to play to a 5 and golfed everyday as a teen. I stink now.
Play 2-3 times per month
Best course = St. Andrews and Pebble Beach (tie)

judgesmails
01-13-2005, 08:33 PM
I played Bandon one day on my way up the coast. Pacific was closed. It is an outstanding course. The weather changed so often during my round it was like playing on ten different days all in one. It is worth a special trip if you are into golf.

HDPM
01-13-2005, 09:04 PM
Man this depresses me to post. I play terrible and haven't played many places really.

12 for real. I don't really believe in handicaps though and don't believe that any net prizes should ever be awarded in any tournament. Maybe handicaps are OK to see if you can qualify to qualify for something like a US Amateur, but if you are a hack you shouldn't expect to win IMO. Maybe the club championship could have 3 flights where they just do gross score, Idunno. I hate the sandbagging BS in tournamnets and for gambling purposes you have to know somebody's game and match up anyway, right?

72 (even)at a sporty little Donald Ross muni from the tips, although it was short even from all the way back because you couldn't go very far back on most holes. Played bad then and now, see. That course was susceptible to some low numbers and I never shot one. /images/graemlins/mad.gif

Don't play often enough anymore and should quit because it is a waste of time and an insult to the game to play like I do. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif Unfortunately I may be losing interest.

Best course either Torrey Pines south (pre-renovation) or PGA West Stadium. Guess I would go w/ Torrey Pines.

on_thg
01-13-2005, 10:57 PM
Handicap: 11 (lowest ever for me)
Best Round: 75 (par 72)
How Often: 3-4x per week in the summer, none now
Best Course: Dunno. For prestige? TPC of Scottsdale, probably. Can't say it was all that great, though.

kyro
01-14-2005, 12:11 AM
Ready for this ownage?

- I don't play enough for a handicap anymore. Back when I played often it was probably about 40 or so.

- I think 97. I'm not sure.

- Nowadays about 2 or 3 times a year. Back when I had my great handicap it was about 5 times a week.

- Either Penn State's course or the one at Sanford, ME.

/images/graemlins/grin.gif

holeplug
01-14-2005, 12:23 AM
I haven't played since high school which was 5 years ago but when I did..

What's your best score?
How often do you play?
once or twice a week
Pinehurst (not #2 though)

edtost
01-14-2005, 12:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
During the club championship at the place I caddied at, when strict stroke play was strictly enforced, on average people's scores were much higher than their handicaps. I think the main reason is that most people give themselves too many putts that they would probably miss.

[/ QUOTE ]

you obviously have a fundamental misunderstanding of the way handicaps work. they measure potential to score, not actual averages.

anyway, my own numbers:

handicap: would be 22 or so
lowest 18: 84 @ springdale golf club (princeton nj)
play 50 or so rounds/year
best course: westchester cc, winged foot gc, bethpage black

vulturesrow
01-14-2005, 12:41 AM
Havent recorded one because I suck so bad.
I shot a 90 once /images/graemlins/smile.gif I dont think Ive broken 100 since.
Rarely, although I plan to pick it back up again the spring.
No place worth mentioning

Danenania
01-14-2005, 01:03 AM
Handicap: 15ish
Best Score: 81
Frequency: Often in spurts, haven't played in a few months
Best Course: Playing Pebble Beach a week from now

CrazyEyez
01-14-2005, 01:13 AM
Any of you Washington-ites ever play Desert Canyon outside of Wenatchee? I played it once like 10 years ago when it was pretty new. Wow. Fricking beautiful. #6 is unreal. I may be going back up there the first week in April. (I have family in Wenatchee.) I will definitely have to play it again if I make it out there.

slickpoppa
01-14-2005, 01:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
you obviously have a fundamental misunderstanding of the way handicaps work. they measure potential to score, not actual averages.

[/ QUOTE ]
Believe me, I realize that a player's handicap is more complicated than his average over par. My conclusions about people's handicaps being deflated are also based on my observations of golfers consistently not putting out and fudging some of the most basic rules of golf during the rounds that they use to report their handicaps. My observations of golfers underperforming during club championships or other events where stroke play is strictly enforced is well above the variance that you would expect for true handicaps. Admittedly, I have never done a full statistical analysis to prove that palyers' handicaps are deflated; but my thousands of hours spent observing golfers leaves me confident in concluding that most golfers are not as good as they think they are.

doughhater
01-14-2005, 11:18 AM
Handicap: +2
Best Score: 63 on a par 72, several 64s and 65s
Best Course Played: Troon North, Desert Forest, Forest Highlands, Chapparral Pines, and Del Mar Country Club are all too close to call.

Whoever is was that made reference to the AZ 5A State Championships, what year and what school did you play for?

In response to the inquiry about Troon North, the facility is fabulous, but pack your wallet. Peak green fees are $285 and in my opion, there are numerous better values in the Scottsdale area.

Asnbabe
01-14-2005, 11:24 AM
handicap-12
best score- 76
how often-not often anymore (i broke my foot last summer)
best course- medinah country club

Shajen
01-14-2005, 11:28 AM
My father in law has played Augusta National.

He said it was the most horrifying thing he's ever done. I mean, would you want to leave a giant divot or shank one on Augusta? YES.

I'd give a testicle to play that course. No, not mine, one of yours.

wayabvpar
01-14-2005, 02:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
In response to the inquiry about Troon North, the facility is fabulous, but pack your wallet. Peak green fees are $285 and in my opion, there are numerous better values in the Scottsdale area.

[/ QUOTE ]

Went to a wedding there in November- WOW. That place is gorgeous. Wish I had the time to play it while I was in town.

heavybody
01-14-2005, 02:56 PM
[censored] Golf ..we have never been friends.

heavily bodied

chucksim
01-14-2005, 04:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What's your best score?
How often do you play?

[/ QUOTE ]

77, par 71
2-3 times a week in the PA summer. Haven't swung since October.
Dunes CC on the Strip in Vegas, which is now Bellagio's pool and new hotel tower. I was 16 in Vegas with my parents, so that's all I was able to do. Very nice course, though if I were able to play it again, probably not the greatest course (from what I remember). However, playing it for $35 when going rate was over $100 was pretty sweet, so I have a fond place in my mind for it.

P.S. If anyone else played it (and has a better appreciation for it than I had at the time), I'd be curious to hear your comments.