PDA

View Full Version : Laundry Room Etiquette

Sooga
01-12-2005, 08:53 PM
If you've ever lived in an apartment, you're no doubt familiar with this situation.

So I come home from work, and decide that I need to get some laundry done. I pack up all my funky gear, and head down to the laundry room. My particular laundry room has 2 washers & 2 driers, since there is a laundry room for each apartment 'wing' (there are i think 6 'wings' in the complex). So anyway, I get down there, and what do you know, there are clothes in the washer, and the load is done. Whose are they? I don't know. So what do I do? Wait? If so, how long? Just for reference, the apartment has a notice in every laundry room that states something to the effect of 'It is your responsibility to make sure your stuff is out when it's done, otherwise someone may remove it'

So I waited for a minute or so and decided I'm not gonna just sit around here, and I started taking the clothes out and laying them on top of the dryer, and started my loads. Just as I was finishing up, the owner of the loads walks in, and she's an old woman and also happens to be my next door neighbor, who had moved in a few months ago but with whom I've never even talked to. Anyway, long story short, she goes literally ballistic. Like, apesh*t. I couldn't believe it. She was screaming about how I should wait, and she doesn't want people touching her clothes and yada yada yada. I tried explaining that 1) I didn't know when she was gonna decide to come back, and 2) there's clearly a notice up that says it's on her to get her stuff out. But she wouldn't hear any of it. The tone of her broken-English voice kept escalating and escalating, and eventually I just laughed and walked out.

What do you do when you see clothes in the washer?

As a footnote, as I was going back to do my drying load, I bumped into her again, and she said, "If you do that (taking her stuff out) again, I'm calling the cops." Now, normally I try to stay serious during stuff like this, but I couldn't hold it in. I just started cracking up right in her face. She said "Next time I'll do that to you.", to which I replied, "Sure, if I'm not around when my load is done, feel free to remove them.", to which she replied "No, I won't stoop down to your level." Riiiiiiiight. Comments?

Sponger15SB
01-12-2005, 08:58 PM
Well, I would have waited about 15 minutes after I saw clothes just sitting there.

I mean dude, its not like people are anally waiting around till the exact time their wash gets done to run over and take it out on the off chance people are dying to use the washer.

However this lady is 100% out of line, and she deserve to get laughed at.

Also tell her you want to "soil her panties"

Bez
01-12-2005, 08:58 PM
Old people like to complain.

codewarrior
01-12-2005, 08:59 PM
'F 'em.

I've had people take my junk out of the dryer because it stopped, and the dryer next to it was empty. They didn't know there was another one behind the door. Their clothes went down the stairwell, with a note.

Never happened again.

Funny thing is, the other, empty dryer is the better one... /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Sponger15SB
01-12-2005, 09:01 PM
Did it ever occur to you that

1) There might have been clothes in that dryer as well and they chose to take yours out, and then when you came back to see this the clothes in the other dryer were gone
2) The dryer was broken
3) You're a dick

[censored]
01-12-2005, 09:03 PM
I think you for sure have to punch her. Maybe not in the face but a charlie horse or something.

Corey
01-12-2005, 09:03 PM
You did the right thing and the woman should be laughed at every time you see her, just so she starts to realize how out of line she was.

If I'm not there when my load finishes, I expect them to be taken out. It was my fault I left them in there and I should pay the "price" regardless if it was 15 seconds, 15 minutes, or 15 hours. There's a reason timers/alarms were made.

[censored]
01-12-2005, 09:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Also tell her you want to "soil her panties"

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it goes without saying that you need to jerk on something of her's next time.

offTopic
01-12-2005, 09:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
As a footnote, as I was going back to do my drying load, I bumped into her again, and she said, "If you do that (taking her stuff out) again, I'm calling the cops." Now, normally I try to stay serious during stuff like this, but I couldn't hold it in. I just started cracking up right in her face. She said "Next time I'll do that to you.", to which I replied, "Sure, if I'm not around when my load is done, feel free to remove them.", to which she replied "No, I won't stoop down to your level." Riiiiiiiight. Comments?

[/ QUOTE ]

Take her picture repeatedly with a mobile phone...that'll teach her.

Sooga
01-12-2005, 09:15 PM
Hahaha, good work....

DangerGoodson
01-12-2005, 09:24 PM
I would have come back awhile later and thrown some Tide w/ Bleach on her colthes.

bdk3clash
01-12-2005, 09:36 PM
I'm almost always there when my dryer cycle is done, and if I miss the end of the cycle I fully expect anyone to feel free to remove my clothers and put them in my basket, which I leave on top of the washer I'm using.

I don't feel an ounce of guilt removing someone's clothes from the washer, though I do go out of my way to avoid unloading someone elses clothers from the dryer. My building has more dryers than washers, and the dryers are extra big, like 2 washers worth, so this is rarely a problem.

codewarrior
01-12-2005, 09:37 PM
1) I had just vacated the other dryer 15 minutes previously. I know who does laundry when - the room is right next to my unit.
2) See #1
3) Thank you! Doughnut puncher... /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Dynasty
01-12-2005, 09:43 PM
Reading this thread makes me happy that I bought my own washer & dryer.

bdk3clash
01-12-2005, 09:57 PM
Reading this thread makes me glad I mostly send my laundry out.

DBowling
01-12-2005, 10:12 PM
when someones stuff is in the washer dryer, i normally leave and come back 15 minutes later. if its still there, ill remove it and leave it in my basket if theirs isnt around (so their stuff doesnt get dirty).

TimM
01-12-2005, 10:18 PM
I have almost the exact same situation. My building has 16 units and a pair of each machine in the basement. Those from 12 of the units have to go outside and then go in the entrance to the other four to get there. If there is laundry in the washers, I would give them about 10-15 minutes before moving them.

More common is that clothes are left in the dryer. I will start my wash, and if the clothes are still in the dryer when it is done, they go on the table. I do laundry late at night so most of the time they are still there when I go to get mine out of the dryer. They must start the dryer and then go to sleep or something.

Once I must have left mine in the dryer too long, and I came back to find my towels on the table. Neatly folded.

rusellmj
01-12-2005, 10:33 PM
When I had to use a laundry room I had a timer so I could be back on time. I didn't wait five seconds before removing someone's clothes. I never threw them around, just put them on the counter. I can handle myself so I wasn't worried about someone kicking my ass or making a scene. I've put up with too much crap to give a sh!t. I've had my crappy mechanic uniforms stolen /images/graemlins/confused.gif . I caught someone stealing my clothes once. He was walking out with my clothes in a trash bag while I was walking in. What really sucked is while I was getting the mail about a month earlier, I helped this douchebag get an enormous dresser out of his truck and carry it into his apt. I knocked on his door and demanded my clothes. His fat wife brought them out. At least they were folded. /images/graemlins/grin.gif
I watched one of those "caught on tape" shows once where a lady put her clothes in the wash and walked out of the room. Another lady sitting in the room immediatley removed the clothes, probably before it even finished filling, and put hers in. Well, surprise, the first lady came back a couple minutes later to find her clothes sitting soaked on the counter. She opened the washer, saw someone elses clothes inside, and emptied a gallon of bleach into the washer. Beautiful. If people don't have any consideration for others then I don't have much patience for them.

Russ

The Dude
01-12-2005, 10:44 PM
Movings someone's clothes out of a washer or dryer when they're all full is completely appropriate in community laundry rooms. In college I did it many times, and had it done to me many times.

Laughing in here face seems a bit harsh, but I can understand if you couldn't help yourself. This lady needs to get a life. If you had thrown them somewhere dirty (like the floor) then she'd have a right to get mad, but as is, she's nuts.

codewarrior
01-12-2005, 10:59 PM
This is good etiquette. Kudos. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

YourFoxyGrandma
01-12-2005, 11:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Reading this thread makes me happy that I bought my own washer & dryer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Reading this thread makes me happy that I never do laundry.

slickpoppa
01-12-2005, 11:17 PM
If that same situation happens again, tell her that you took her clothes out becuase you become sexually aroused by touching her panties.

Skjonne
01-13-2005, 04:50 AM
Great story! /images/graemlins/laugh.gif Thx

Of course you did the right thing (I wouldn't have waited a minute though). Old people with nothing to do have no respect for other people's time. I just can't stand old people. I hope to die before I turn old and grumpy.

Alobar
01-13-2005, 04:56 AM
meh, I would have just gone to one of the other "wings" unless it was a walk longer than 60 seconds, in which case, I would have taken her clothes out as well. I've left [censored] in the washer or dryer before and forgotten to get back in time, and would fully expect someone who needed to use them to take my [censored] out. If people leave [censored] in the dryer, I usually try to be nice and pseudo fold it so its just not a wrinkled mess, but thats just cuz im a nice guy. If I left my crap in the dryer and someone left it on the counter in a ball, id have no right to be upset.

Shajen
01-13-2005, 09:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Reading this thread makes me glad I mostly send my laundry out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Reading this thread makes me glad I have a wife. (and don't live in an apartment. And have a washer and dryer. And that I wasn't being yelled at by an old lady. I may have sucker punched her. In the cooch)

/images/graemlins/grin.gif

beerbandit
01-13-2005, 09:39 AM
ive been in that situation before in an apt complex and in a fraternity house

in the apt i would not remove the clothes the first time, i would come back in 5-10 mins and check again

removing the clothes only as a last resort --- i have also been the culprit, atleast with the dryer. which i dont think it is as bad to remove anothers clothes from the dryers and place them in the basket or on the table

cheers

LALDAAS
01-13-2005, 01:11 PM
Most laundry mats that i live near have drop off service. It cost .85 per pound and is well worth it.

usally they have it done in 24 hours. Once you add in the cost of soap, fabric softner, use of the machine and your time it is well worth the expense.

whats nice is they fold it (just like mom use to) iron it, and put nice shirts on hangers. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Lemmiwinks
01-13-2005, 01:48 PM
I have to deal with this because I live in a dorm at college, and people are such assholes and leave their clothes for hours after they have finished. So I just yank them out of the washers and dryers when I need to use them. I've gotten bitched at by guys and girls before, but they know the rules.

I'm not gonna sit around for 3 hours waiting for them to pull their [censored] out.

turnipmonster
01-13-2005, 02:42 PM
it was .50/lb near my old place. this is one of those things that everyone in nyc does and everywhere else people think we're weird for doing it.

edtost
01-13-2005, 02:57 PM
i concur. but what pisses me off is when people take my [censored] out of the dryer when its clearly NOT DRY YET! our machines only run for 1/2 an hour, so if you can't wait the 2 mins i would be late to reset it, do it yourself if the clothes are clearly wet.

Lemmiwinks
01-13-2005, 02:59 PM
Yeah I understand. I don't remove stuff from the dryers if it isn't dry yet, but it always is once the machine has stopped.

With the washers, of course the clothes are still gonna be wet, but I don't give a [censored]. It's a community washer so I pull the wet clothes out and put them on top.

cardcounter0
01-13-2005, 03:32 PM
You live in an apartment (that doesn't even have its own washer and dryer).
You do your own laundry.
You argue with old broken-english speaking women.

What a sad, sad story. Sounds like something from a third world country.

Sooga
01-13-2005, 08:35 PM
I live in L.A.... this IS a third world country.

realwtf
01-14-2005, 02:05 AM
So...did you sniff her panties?