PDA

View Full Version : Freefalling by Tom Petty

Sponger15SB
01-10-2005, 04:00 AM
I was listening to this song on the radio today and I realized how much it sucks.

I'm so dissapointed it took me so long to figure it out, but this song is really lame and awful.

The only people who should like this song are women and teenagers at church camp.

Michael Davis
01-10-2005, 04:02 AM
/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Danenania
01-10-2005, 04:30 AM
no way

Ulysses
01-10-2005, 04:38 AM
Wrong.

The Dude
01-10-2005, 04:43 AM
You will be better liked here. (http://www.quarterlifecrisis.com)

Dynasty
01-10-2005, 04:53 AM
Full Moon Fever is the last album anybody bought for me (I don't collect music). My friend got it for me because we sang "I Won't Back Down" everytime it came over the radio. I like almost every song on the album, especially the lesser known b-side songs.

Free Fallin' (http://www.espew.com/cgi-bin/search?searchstring=tom+petty&searchby=artist&page =3)

Select option # 23 (even though it doesn't give the title)

The Dude
01-10-2005, 04:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I like almost every song on the album, especially the lesser known b-side songs.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yer So Bad, is one of my favorite Petty songs.

BusterStacks
01-10-2005, 05:23 AM
F U sponge

GuyOnTilt
01-10-2005, 06:31 AM
Dude, everybody knows that songs with exactly four chords are really good music. Especially when they're by artists who use exactly four chords in over 50% of all their songs. Yeah, those songs kick ass.

Edit: I'm going over this one in my head, and I actually think it only has three chords. The third may be the 1 or the m6. I don't know the song well enough to remember exactly how it sounds. But the point still stands.

GoT

The Dude
01-10-2005, 06:50 AM
Go away.

Sponger15SB
01-10-2005, 06:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Go away.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh I hate it when you guys fight!

whiskeytown
01-10-2005, 06:59 AM
technically, it only has 3 - actually two, since it just bounces between D and Dmaj7 for half the song....

/images/graemlins/grin.gif

but as the Ramones used to say...in rock and roll, three chords is one chord too many

sponger is full of [censored].

RB

Gatts
01-10-2005, 07:34 AM
d00der, Petty owns your soul and mine.

GuyOnTilt
01-10-2005, 08:20 AM
technically, it only has 3 - actually two, since it just bounces between D and Dmaj7 for half the song....

Yeah, I corrected myself shortly after posting. I still can't hear it very well in my head and I don't have a copy, mostly 'cause I don't really like this type of music, but what I can hear just makes me shake my head. Songwriting aside, how did musicians like this make it?

but as the Ramones used to say...in rock and roll, three chords is one chord too many

Which is one reason why I don't like rock and roll. The musicianship just bores the hell out of me. There's just rarely anything there. I'm not really a drum or bass guy, but I could play either in a ton of pop songs from this genre. I'm not much of a guitar guy either, but again I could pound out of the tablature for a ton of the same. I need music that challenges me when I listen to it. Rock and roll doesn't do this for me. I really don't get how so many people are entertained by this genre. It must be the lyrics, which I put a lot less emphasis on in my listening, 'cause it sure as hell can't be the musicianship.

This isn't a bash against people who like this kind of music. A freaking ton of people like it, so there must be something there for them to like. It's just not for me I guess. : /

GoT

Phat Mack
01-10-2005, 08:26 AM

The Ramones were probably right, but I think they made that statement before anyone had heard the GoGo's.

Duke
01-10-2005, 08:53 AM
Mr. Holland even liked rock!

~D

bernie
01-10-2005, 08:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I really don't get how so many people are entertained by this genre. It must be the lyrics, which I put a lot less emphasis on in my listening, 'cause it sure as hell can't be the musicianship.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's about the energy and feel. Not technical playing. You want technical playing? Plug in Steve Vai's Passion and Warfare album. It sounds like a computer did it. Yay.

There's alot more to music than just lyrical content. And that goes across the board for all genres. Lyrically, I can't stand political songs or songs for causes or whatever. This doesn't mean I don't like the melody it's wrapped around. 'Cult of Personality' is a good example. So is alot of Rage against the machine stuff. Can't stand the lyrical meaning of Rage, but I really dig some of their tunes.

[ QUOTE ]
I need music that challenges me when I listen to it.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you don't relax at all when listening to any music? You can't just sit back and let a song take you away for 3-5 mins? That's kind of sad. I've studied music for a long time and can listen to it many different ways. Whether 'studying' it, or relaxing to it.

[ QUOTE ]
Songwriting aside, how did musicians like this make it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? Do they play their songs wrong? Miss-fret chords? Would you rather have great musicians that can't write a song worth a crap? Plenty of those. You know what they do? Session work or work a day job. This is really kind of a stupid question not to mention a titch snobbish.

Im wondering just what kind of stuff do you listen to?

b

Btw...Lords of Acid: Our little secret ...rocks!

bernie
01-10-2005, 08:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I like almost every song on the album, especially the lesser known b-side songs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Y'know, it's funny. Back when I was a floor-whore(carpet installer) I walked into the store once and they had this album on. Song after song seemed like one of his hits. I'd heard most of it on the radio to the extent that I thought it was a greatest hits CD.

b

GuyOnTilt
01-10-2005, 09:29 AM
It's about the energy and feel. Not technical playing.

I kind of agree. I do agree it's not all about technical playing, but I crave all of the above. The balance depends on the type of music, just 'cause I listen to different types for different moods and to get something different out of them I guess.

So you don't relax at all when listening to any music?

Sure, all the time. But the music that I relax to is relaxing to me because I love listening to it, and it's just hard for me to love listening to something that has an acoustic going I IV vi V I for 3 or 4 minutes straight. I guess there's nothing wrong with having music like that, it's just I don't enjoy it. If others do that's cool. But I just don't really.

Why? Do they play their songs wrong? Miss-fret chords? Would you rather have great musicians that can't write a song worth a crap? Plenty of those. You know what they do? Session work or work a day job.

Understood. And no, of course I wouldn't, though like I said I do tend to put musicianship above songwriting when I listen to music for whatever reason. Both are important, but one is just slightly more important to me for my listening purposes. If others have it flip-flopped or in equal standing, that's cool too.

Im wondering just what kind of stuff do you listen to?

These last couple months have been extremely pop'ish for me. I've been listening to a lot of stuff like Damien Rice and Iron & Wine and Frank Sinatra on one end of the spectrum, and Underoath and Emery and Blindside on the other end, with Eric Whitacre and Sevendust and Thelonius Monk falling in random places in between.

Sleepy time.

GoT

01-10-2005, 10:43 AM
You left out Big Gay Al.

sfer
01-10-2005, 11:13 AM
This is just the best post ever about totally missing the point of rock and roll.

sfer
01-10-2005, 11:15 AM
This is one of the first CDs I bought as a wee lad and it didn't make the cut when I got my iPod. I'm going to rip it and clear some space for it tonight.

And whoever said so is right on the money. Yer So Bad r00lz.

The once and future king
01-10-2005, 11:27 AM
Correct.

This song = Absolute definiton of mediocrity. Tom Petty is the Celine Dion of pop folkrock.

sfer
01-10-2005, 11:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
This song = Absolute definiton of mediocrity. Tom Petty is the Celine Dion of pop folkrock.

[/ QUOTE ]

How can one be the Celine Dion of a genre that is the Celine Dion of genres?

The once and future king
01-10-2005, 11:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
How can one be the Celine Dion of a genre that is the Celine Dion of genres?

[/ QUOTE ]

By sucking Satans co..ck.

slickpoppa
01-10-2005, 11:37 AM
yeah guys, tom petty sucks. how many bracelets does he have?

soah
01-10-2005, 01:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I was listening to this song on the radio today and I realized how much it sucks.

I'm so dissapointed it took me so long to figure it out, but this song is really lame and awful.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't believe it took you so long to figure this out. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

jakethebake
01-10-2005, 01:08 PM
I can't believe 26 people bothered to respond to this thread...oops 27. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Sponger15SB
01-10-2005, 03:59 PM
Just to clear things up, classic rock is my favorite kind of music, and I like Tom Petty, except this song had grown tired with me.

Right now my playlist has a mix of Supertramp, Boston, Foreigner, and The Dooobie Brothers.

bernie
01-10-2005, 05:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
and it's just hard for me to love listening to something that has an acoustic going I IV vi V I for 3 or 4 minutes straight.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are usually other things going on in the song to listen to. Though there are some songs that really don't go anywhere. (silent lucidity is an example for me) The lack of tone/texture a song has, the better lyrical/melodic hook it better have and vice versa. Sometimes you get the bonus of both. Btw, a great album that has alot going on is 'blizzard of oz' by ozzy. That's an album that sounds very simple, but really isn't.

I don't know if you play an instrument, but if you do, then playing and getting into a great mid/slow blues tune rocks. You just sit and groove.

[ QUOTE ]
though like I said I do tend to put musicianship above songwriting when I listen to music for whatever reason.

[/ QUOTE ]

Being a songwriter and player, i think I go the other way. When Im jamming and noodling around, I can usually hear all the parts that would be surrounding the line Im playing. I think that's helped me in approaching music/songs from alot of different angles.

[ QUOTE ]
Damien Rice and Iron & Wine and Frank Sinatra on one end of the spectrum, and Underoath and Emery and Blindside on the other end, with Eric Whitacre and Sevendust and Thelonius Monk falling in random places in between.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ill give these a sample and check em out. See what GoT's grooving to.

Sinatra, to me, wasn't a great musician as far as technical. However, he had alot of great feel when he sang. Alot of his tunes were built on the typical blues progessions.

You may want to check out Badlands w/Jake E Lee. Lots of stuff going on on that album.

For classical, here's one to find: Mozart, Dorfmusikanten-Sextett(K.522); Ein msikalischer Spass/A musical Joke.

Took me awhile to find this long ago when I first heard about it, but it is very interesting to listen to. Your eyebrows should furrow in a 'wtf?' fashion at a couple things in this tune. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Cya

b

bernie
01-10-2005, 05:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This is one of the first CDs I bought as a wee lad

[/ QUOTE ]

Does this line make anyone else feel old? /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

b

bernie
01-10-2005, 05:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Just to clear things up, classic rock is my favorite kind of music,

[/ QUOTE ]

If you like a little heavier classic rock, try Fu Manchu: California Crossing. It rocks!

b

bobbyi
01-10-2005, 10:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Btw...Lords of Acid: Our little secret ...rocks!

[/ QUOTE ]
Is it better than Lust? I liked that album, but kind of stopped paying attention to them after that. Pussy certainly is a great song though.

bobbyi
01-10-2005, 10:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Yer So Bad, is one of my favorite Petty songs.

[/ QUOTE ]
Oh man, I couldn't agree more. I am, to this day, confused and dismayed by the fact that that song isn't on their Greatest Hits album. It is on his double disc Anthology though, so that's something (but why on earth didn't they put You Don't Know How it Feels on there? I'm not a particularly big Wildflowers fan, but that is a good song).

When I was visiting my family over Thanksgiving this year, there was an interesting moment when I found that my dad owned Tom Petty's Anthology. He had no idea that I liked Tom Petty and found this strange and disconcerting, and I felt the same way about him owning that. Although it wasn't as disconcerting as when I discovered that he also owns Guns n' Roses' Live Era. Wow that album is awesome.

bernie
01-11-2005, 04:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Is it better than Lust? I liked that album, but kind of stopped paying attention to them after that. Pussy certainly is a great song though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Overall I think it's better than Lust.

It's their most 'commercial' album i've heard. I like pretty much every song on it. Great, sleazy groove. I sit on acid could easily be on here. Though that is a classic song.

Fingerlickin' Good kicks ass. In fact, I may just pop it in right now.

b