PDA

View Full Version : Looking to get started

Moss Factor
01-04-2005, 02:17 AM
I've built a decent BR from playing poker and instead of having it rot in the bank, I'd like to try and invest it in stocks. I've read a few online tutorials, but I still feel like I don't know how to get started. Are there any suggestions (books, sites, general advice, etc.) that you guys would recommend for someone looking to get started into stock trading?

icetonez
01-04-2005, 03:46 AM
I think the consensus book to read is The Intelligent Investor by Ben Graham. After reading it, you might find that you're better suited to be a "defensive investor", meaning low fee index funds like (vfinx) which I own shares of personally. I think for most people, their time would be better spent on other things rather than researching individual stocks.

tek
01-04-2005, 04:09 AM
1999 is calling. They said "Two words: mutual funds".

GeorgeF
01-04-2005, 04:59 PM
Free:
www.berkshirehathaway.com (http://www.berkshirehathaway.com) has warren buffetts letters
www.pimco.com (http://www.pimco.com) has lots of free guru writtings.

Book:"random walk down wallstreet - Malkeil" is probably the best start.

If there is a good business library near you it may be the best source of info.

Redsox
01-04-2005, 07:02 PM
Call Smith Barney or Charles Schwab and ask them to put you in contact with a retail broker. It'll cost you more money than using ETrade or Waterhouse, but 2001 proved that there is a reason why retail brokers are still in business. They'll be able to help you and figure out your risk tolerances, etc. Good Luck.

Eric

RunDownHouse
01-05-2005, 11:29 PM
Trading is very different from investing, and not much more than gambling with your money.

Invest in index funds if you aren't looking for entertainment from your investments. Only 25% of money managers outperform the S&P 500 in any given year, and none of that top quartile repeats that performance consistently.

With index funds, you'll have better performance in addition to lower costs (because of lower management fees and transaction costs).