PDA

View Full Version : JJ, Party 3/6 hand -- maniacal turn play?

SinCityGuy
12-30-2004, 05:27 AM
On the sixth day of Christmas, my true love gave to me, six tables beeping (clearing off a bonus on four of them).....

On one of the tighter tables, this hand came up:

Solid, tight/aggressive player open raises UTG, weak/tight MP cold calls, I 3-bet on the button with J/images/graemlins/heart.gif J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, blinds fold, UTG caps, weak-tight player folds, I call.

Two to the flop for 11 SB’s.

Flop: A/images/graemlins/club.gif 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

UTG bets, I call.

Two to the turn for 7.5 SB’s.

Turn: 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif

UTG bets, I raise.

My plan is for him to fold. Failing that, I’ll fold to a 3-bet; otherwise check behind on the river unimproved.

Comments?

Reef
12-30-2004, 05:42 AM
Likely hands for him to raise: AA, KK, QQ, JJ, 1010, AKos, AQos, AJs. 19 combos of hands you beat that will most likely fold. (6+12+4+12+4+4)=42 more combos of hands are likely to call your raise or reraise. Basically 2/3 of the time he won't fold.

I think this can be figured out mathematically if you have an idea of what he will and will not fold (AQ/AJ?).

tolbiny
12-30-2004, 06:21 AM
I don't know. I don't see to many players folding to this raise with KK or QQ- it is a decently big pot, and tough to take dump without taking a shot at it.
Seems like you could just bail if his preflop capping standards are t/a like you say.
If i am UTG i am not folding KK or QQ- i probably fold the other JJ to give you half.

SinCityGuy
12-30-2004, 07:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think this can be figured out mathematically if you have an idea of what he will and will not fold (AQ/AJ?).

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure he doesn't have AQ or AJ.

SinCityGuy
12-30-2004, 07:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Likely hands for him to raise: AA, KK, QQ, JJ, 1010, AKos, AQos, AJs. 19 combos of hands you beat that will most likely fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

My profile on this T/A player is: out of position, capping against two opponents, his most likely holdings are AA, KK, QQ and AKs. With the ace on the flop, that leaves 3 combinations of AA, 6 combinations of KK, 6 combinations of QQ, and 3 combinations of AKs.

Reef
12-30-2004, 07:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Likely hands for him to raise: AA, KK, QQ, JJ, 1010, AKos, AQos, AJs. 19 combos of hands you beat that will most likely fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

My profile on this T/A player is: out of position, capping against two opponents, his most likely holdings are AA, KK, QQ and AKs. With the ace on the flop, that leaves 3 combinations of AA, 6 combinations of KK, 6 combinations of QQ, and 3 combinations of AKs.

[/ QUOTE ]

good call. I did not consider the cap. I really shouldn't do anything requiring thinking this late.

I'm still curious why you think he wouldn't cap AKo or AQs, especially against a button reraiser

SinCityGuy
12-30-2004, 07:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm still curious why you think he wouldn't cap AKo or AQs, especially against a button reraiser

[/ QUOTE ]

This guy is a good player, and he's seen me come over the top of his initial raise plus the cold-caller in between. I'm not saying it's impossible for him to have AKo or AQ, but most of these solid 3/6 Party players would not cap out of position with those hands.

Reef
12-30-2004, 07:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This guy is a good player, and he's seen me come over the top of his initial raise plus the cold-caller in between. I'm not saying it's impossible for him to have AKo or AQ, but most of these solid 3/6 Party players would not cap out of position with those hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

could he have capped to add dead $, since he knew weak-tight would call for 1 bet but fold for 2?

SinCityGuy
12-30-2004, 07:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
could he have capped to add dead $, since he knew weak-tight would call for 1 bet but fold for 2?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's certainly possible.

I'm not saying that I played this hand well by any means. I rarely make moves like this, but I do occasionally. At any rate, I think that raising the turn here is a lot more powerful than raising the flop.

Shillx
12-30-2004, 07:46 AM
I understand the concept here, but wouldn't a flop raise and turn bet be more likely to fold out KK/QQ? A good player should know that a turn raise isn't likely to be AK (why not wait until the river). I would probably just fold on this flop, but I can't argue with your intention here given the pot size.

Brad

RubbleRobble
12-30-2004, 09:48 AM
You've done well narrowing down the hands that his PF raise indicates he could have.

A) You dont beat a single one of them.
B) For the same reason that you are trying to make a play at this pot--the size--I don't see why that wouldnt be reason enough for him to AT LEAST call you down with any of these hands.

I could easily be wrong, but it seems like yer only out here is to be catching him when he is waaaaay out of line... or of course rivering a J. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Thoughts on my thoughts?

Tosh
12-30-2004, 10:09 AM
How about raising the flop instead. Given his cap preflop and flop bet he has shown you enough strength to expect you to not be raising without an ace.

sfer
12-30-2004, 10:25 AM
The thing is, nothing is folding to a single raise on the flop.

Cerril
12-30-2004, 10:29 AM
I've seen a lot of underpairs to the top card do exactly that on flops, but I suppose in the grand scheme it's still a tiny percentage. It happens just often enough that every time I do it with a legitimate hand I think to myself 'I should bluffraise more in this situation with underpairs'

Tosh
12-30-2004, 10:30 AM
Thats not true if we are saying this guy can fold these hands and we automatically bet the turn and still saved 0.5BB.

chio
12-30-2004, 12:51 PM
i often make plays like this myself, but i don't like your play here

raising for free showdown is a strong move that is predicated on 3 things:

(1) you might be ahead
i don't like your play here b/c you're basically 0% to be ahead given the action, board, and your description of TAG

(2) you have outs if you're called
you don't have many outs here if behind

(3) opponent might fold a better hand
i understand you believe this is strong enough to raise here. but your opponent knows that it's HU and that you have position, so KK/QQ might not fold. also, there's a good chance KK/QQ will at least call the turn to see if you bet the river, which you won't

AceHigh
12-30-2004, 01:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Comments?

[/ QUOTE ]

Why not just fold on the flop?

About the turn raise, won't utg figure a 3-bet preflop is more likely a pair than Ace something and call down with KK/QQ more often than not?

SinCityGuy
12-31-2004, 02:18 AM
He folded to the turn raise.

I don't make plays like this very often, and I probably should quit making them altogether, as they probably don't show a profit in the long run. However, if the play is going to be made, raising the turn makes it a lot more believable than raising the flop.

Tosh
12-31-2004, 09:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
However, if the play is going to be made, raising the turn makes it a lot more believable than raising the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

No argument there, however, that does not make it a superior play.