PDA

View Full Version : Top pair, multi-way pot, out of position, mid to poor kicker

Bigwig
12-23-2004, 02:02 PM
How do you play these hands? Hypothetical examples (from Stars tourneys) with blinds at 15/30, and all relevant stacks somewhere around 1500:

1) 3 limpers, Hero completes in SB with T/images/graemlins/heart.gif9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif, BB checks

Flop is T /images/graemlins/spade.gif6 /images/graemlins/club.gif4 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

2) 2 limpers, SB completes, Hero is in BB with K /images/graemlins/club.gif4 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Flop is K /images/graemlins/heart.gif9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif2 /images/graemlins/club.gif

3) One UTG limper, Hero limps in MP with A /images/graemlins/spade.gifT /images/graemlins/spade.gif, Button limps, SB completes, BB checks

Flop is A /images/graemlins/heart.gif9 /images/graemlins/club.gif6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

How do you play pots like these? When unsure of my kicker and out of position in multi-way pots, I'll often check the flop and see what action ensues. If there are no bets, and an unthreatening turn card, I'll usually take a shot at the pot.

You?

adanthar
12-23-2004, 02:19 PM
I'm not qualified to say much about Stars, but if this was Party my default plays with no reads are something like:

1)Bet 2/3 the pot on the flop and check/call the turn (if it's a rag)
2)Ditto but lean towards check/fold the turn if there are multiple callers or it's a big bet
3)Bet 2/3 the pot on the flop, bet somewhat more on the turn, check the river