PDA

View Full Version : I've been doing this a lot lately...

cold_cash
12-23-2004, 03:08 AM
Semi-decent game with a couple soft spots. SB was a little too loose pre-flop and relatively aggressive. CO was new and I hadn't seen him/her before.

Party 2/4

I'm in the BB w/ K/images/graemlins/spade.gif K/images/graemlins/club.gif

Folded to the CO, who open limps.
Button folds.
SB completes.
I raise.
Both call.

Flop 8/images/graemlins/club.gif 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif T/images/graemlins/spade.gif (6 small bets) 3 players

SB checks, I bet, CO raises, SB folds, I call.

Turn: 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif (5 big bets) 2 players

I check, CO bets, I call.

River: J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif (7 big bets) 2 players

I bet.

I'm a bit perplexed as to what the proper turn play is here. I thought about a stop-and-go, but I guess I just didn't want to have to fold if he raised again, and calling down after being raised twice seems kind of weird.

Question: Whether you like this line or not, pretend that you played this hand exactly the same way and were raised on the river. What do you do against an unknown opponent?

Thanks.

Grease
12-23-2004, 03:28 AM
3-bet the flop. If he caps, I'd lead the turn, then make my decisions from there. I don't think you can back down this quickly. If the guy is really passive, I think you can safely bet/fold the turn, but bet/calling the flop is too weak, IMO.

Azhrarn
12-23-2004, 03:46 AM
I think 3-betting the flop is the standard play here. He's more likely to have a ten, a lower pocket pair, or a straight draw than an 8, and at low limits he'll probably call you down with his ten or pp.

Your line is good if he's capable of folding his ten or pp to your flop 3-bet/turn bet, or if he was bluffing. This seems less appropriate against an unknown at 2/4.

I only like the stop'n'go on the turn if I think there's a decent chance he'll check behind there. Or if I can fold to a raise, which I would not do here. Or maybe as an occasional change-up. It does provide a middle ground of aggression.

Finally, if I used your line and was raised on the river, I would curse and then call. I suspect you'll be shown JT or a bluff often enough to make it worthwhile. Maybe.

Shillx
12-23-2004, 03:52 AM
This is a super easy turn check/raise. It's not even close. Call the flop raise and c/r the turn HU is a great line.

Shill